BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ryan Mac’s HIM Focus Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 26

2015-01-28 5:58 AM
in reply to: slornow

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Ryan Mac’s HIM Focus Group - CLOSED
Originally posted by slornow

If my schedule allows I workout at lunch....usually swim. There is a gym with a pool about 2 miles from the office so no problem getting  there and getting a swim done.

Good interval bike workout yesterday. Today is a swim at lunch and run with intervals tonight. Have a good day everyone.

I got a good swim (2800m) in yesterday and a short run
Today a short run and some VO2 intervals on the bike. 6x3" with 2 min rest.

2015-01-28 7:49 AM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Extreme Veteran
there was a post in TT about volume this time of year

This is my training load with Jan/Feb year over year

I hate being at the bottom of the curve

(load.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
load.jpg (56KB - 4 downloads)
2015-01-28 9:07 AM
in reply to: Ryan Mac

User image

Extreme Veteran

Tried to get back on the wagon last night with an easy 30 minute trainer ride and 30 minute treadmill run.  Felt fine on the trainer.  No coughing like a barking seal and the back felt fine as long as I stayed on the horns.  I tried going aero and the back was mad at me for trying.  Jumped on the treadmill and started couging like crazy and the back was telling me enough.  Cut it down to 10 minutes.  Still not 100%.  I'm getting irriated.  This is the last big 4 week block of my 12 week build phase.  Doesn't look like I wil hit the 67 hours.

2015-01-28 10:03 AM

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

Originally posted by marcag there was a post in TT about volume this time of year This is my training load with Jan/Feb year over year I hate being at the bottom of the curve

Hey Marc - I am glad you posted this.  I tried to pull my PMC chart yesterday to illustrate this and was having trouble getting it to copy over.

I am at the bottom as well working my way up steadily though.  Mine looked very similar to yours with two main builds to my two 'A' HIM races in June and then August.

If anybody has any questions about what that chart means feel free to ask.  This is a chart from TrainingPeaks.

2015-01-28 10:38 AM

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

I typically always workout at lunch.  I work from home most days so it is very convenient to knock out an hour workout.  In season, I mostly spend the lunch hour at the pool.

If I have two workouts scheduled and cannot brick them, I usually do something after they go to bed, about 8:00.  I use to be a morning person but that ended when the kids started getting up at all hours and I did not want to put that all on my wife to deal with.

2015-01-28 10:48 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Ryan Mac

Originally posted by marcag there was a post in TT about volume this time of year This is my training load with Jan/Feb year over year I hate being at the bottom of the curve

Hey Marc - I am glad you posted this.  I tried to pull my PMC chart yesterday to illustrate this and was having trouble getting it to copy over.

I am at the bottom as well working my way up steadily though.  Mine looked very similar to yours with two main builds to my two 'A' HIM races in June and then August.

If anybody has any questions about what that chart means feel free to ask.  This is a chart from TrainingPeaks.

This is the plan for my run

Yellow is the plan
Red dots are actuals
Green line is a very successful previous build
Dark dots are TSS for that week (they are not properly planned out past Galveston and will be adjusted depending on race results)
Orangle dot is Galveston

So I am slightly behind plan right now but it can still be made up.

Edited by marcag 2015-01-28 10:54 AM

(Screenshot 2015-01-28 11.45.51.png)

Attachments
----------------
Screenshot 2015-01-28 11.45.51.png (24KB - 2 downloads)

2015-01-28 10:58 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I assume you have to have the paid side of TrainingPeaks right?  I only have the free.  Wonder if Garmin Connect can show this.

2015-01-28 11:17 AM
in reply to: GAUG3

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by GAUG3

I assume you have to have the paid side of TrainingPeaks right?  I only have the free.  Wonder if Garmin Connect can show this.

Yes.

The historic chart is data that was uploaded into TP over the years
The planning chart is something I maintain in Excel and is tied to my plan. It allows me to create a gradual increase in load that I know I can absorb.

There is a free site called endurancetracker.com that seems to do quite a bit and is free. What seems cool is it's autosyncs automatically with Garmin Connect.

2015-01-28 12:41 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Decent (sucked less than usual) swim at lunch....maybe I am gradually getting back to where I should be in the pool. Looked at my training volume since Jan. 1, 2013. January 2014 was one of my biggest months ever due in large part to the fact that I was running very little (injury) but biking and swimming a good bit. I'll look at Raceday, the training software I use, and see how it compares over the last 2 years.

Marc-my bike workout yesterday was very similar to yours with VO2 intervals 7X3 min with 3 min easy. 

Edited by slornow 2015-01-28 12:46 PM
2015-01-28 1:25 PM

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

Originally posted by marcag

This is the plan for my run Yellow is the plan Red dots are actuals Green line is a very successful previous build Dark dots are TSS for that week (they are not properly planned out past Galveston and will be adjusted depending on race results) Orangle dot is Galveston So I am slightly behind plan right now but it can still be made up.

Marc:  That looks like a steady build of TSS over 8-10 weeks.  Have you found that is the best course for you as opposed to building 3 weeks and stepping back for 1 week before resuming your build?  

I seem to prefer mentally a week to step back and recharge, maybe more mentally.

2015-01-28 2:27 PM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Originally posted by juniperjen

Do most of you use your lunch hour at work for for workouts? 

I almost never train at lunch.  I work in a very industrial area (I work at a refinery) and there are no gyms close by.  I do, however, train before and after work most days.  On weekdays, I'm willing to commit to about an hour before work and an hour after....sometimes a little more, often a bit less. 

2015-01-28 4:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Originally posted by marcag

This is the plan for my run Yellow is the plan Red dots are actuals Green line is a very successful previous build Dark dots are TSS for that week (they are not properly planned out past Galveston and will be adjusted depending on race results) Orangle dot is Galveston So I am slightly behind plan right now but it can still be made up.

Marc:  That looks like a steady build of TSS over 8-10 weeks.  Have you found that is the best course for you as opposed to building 3 weeks and stepping back for 1 week before resuming your build?  

I seem to prefer mentally a week to step back and recharge, maybe more mentally.

I usually plan for a very steady build, but life usually gets in the way and I'll do a little more one week and a little less the next.

I don't schedule "easy" weeks. But when I do feel sluggish, or HRV says to back off, I might. I am not hell bent on hitting a TSS score for a week. But I do try to stay as close as possible to the long term plan.

So the reality of my week to week training is there are dips every 3 or 4 weeks.

2015-01-28 4:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Marc-my bike workout yesterday was very similar to yours with VO2 intervals 7X3 min with 3 min easy.

I did them at 110%, 111%, 112%...to 115%. I was happy to be finished but suspect I had one or two more before falling off the bike :-)

Edited by marcag 2015-01-28 4:37 PM
2015-01-28 6:54 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Got my run with intervals done this evening. Felt pretty good. But, the best part was stopping by the LBS for a visit and having 2 ice cold draft beers. Got to love a bike shop that keeps a keg in the shop. Shop is main sponsor for the tri team I am on and they always take good care of me.....the beers tonight were right on point!  Awesome way to end the day. 

On another note, they just started carrying Cannondale. Have to say that the new Slice looks better in person than in pictures I have seen. Still way down the list if I was looking for a new bike but better than I expected.    

2015-01-29 10:07 AM

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

We are almost through January so check in and tell us how your month went.  I know we had a lot of sickness within the group.

I would say things have gone pretty smoothly for me.  My run volume is building nicely and now starting to add in some more bike work as well the equation.  So, things are getting more challenging.  The time management is also getting more challenging as work responsibilities have also gained momentum.

2015-01-29 2:33 PM

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

Got a 2-hour trainer ride in today with main set of 5x (12 minute Z3 power and then 3' Z4 power) or 220/260 Watts is what I targeted.  I felt really good on this which is good.  220 was my HIM power last year and felt quite comfortable.

Hoping for a 4 mile easy run after work and then hockey tonight.  A Canadian triathlon of sorts .

2015-01-29 2:50 PM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Hey, getting some snow today! The first real snowfall in a while! 

Feeling better but i have a super nagging cough. Though with today's exploits i seem to be fine when I am in motion so i may do a short spin tonight to see if maybe i can shake some of this out. 

A bit of a crazy couple days when you don't feel 100% but my daughter does not have pink eye which is a bit of a relief though the redness in one eye is a bit worrisome ... anyway, such is the life with a toddler, especially one in daycare. 

As for January, for me it was really hit or miss. I did some good training but i had a couple of 'outages' for being sick and some 'weenie' time where i just was too lazy - i have a bit of a plan now for the next month and understand that I need to just suck it up and do it. Trying the gym close to work should help a lot too - especially since it looks like the cold is going to carry on for a while making outdoor running (with no immediate goal race) less than appealing. 

2015-01-29 3:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

After a long winter of only running, I'm finally back on the bike and in the pool.  I'm definitely not where I left off, but probably not as far back as I had expected. 

My swim times, after five sessions back in the pool, are probably within a few seconds per hundred (I've dropped down a lane from where I used to be, which means that I'm now at the front of that lane, so no longer getting a draft benefit, so to be a few seconds slower is really not that surprising.  I think that bodes well for me and am hoping within another couple weeks, I'll be back to where I left off).

In an effort to jump start my bike training, I've taken on the crazy-ness of the Tour of Sufferlandria.  I'm through six stages so far.  I dropped my FTP by 10% from where I left off (in September) and seem to be suffering sufficiently.  I'm hoping that after accumulating a solid TSS that I can recover for a few days and then do a new set of testing to see where I am and what I need to focus on.

I've pulled back on the running since my HM.  Still running six days a week, but keeping everything easy (need to for the ToS madness!) and short.  Will start to ramp back up a bit next week.

2015-01-29 6:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

January was going good up until last week.  But I'm slowly getting back in it.  45 trainer ride with 4x6min Z3 60-70rpms.

2015-01-30 12:47 PM
in reply to: GAUG3

User image

Master
South Alabama

Last swim of the month done. Right at 35,000 yards for the month.

Strength and short run this evening. Weekend has me with longish bike/short run on Sat. and longish run/easy bike on Sunday. So far January has been good. Likely to end up with my biggest run mileage month in 2+ years.....trying to keep the easy very easy on the run.

2015-01-30 1:34 PM

User image

Regular
Spokane
My January totals were nothing to write home about. Getting back on the wagon though.

Anyway, on a whim I decided to get in line behind 10,000 other people for the beta testing of Zwift. I got an invite to participate hours later. Are any of you using this? It seems like a lot of fun. I was planning on a trainer ride for Saturday so I'll probably dowload the software and see how it goes. I'm pretty sure it doesn't have any structured workouts so I may end up running Trainerroad simultaneously on my Ipad/Iphone as soon as I get an adapter. Should be an interesting experiment!

Edited by littlewj 2015-01-30 1:35 PM

2015-01-30 2:07 PM
in reply to: littlewj

User image

Extreme Veteran

I signed up but didn't get an invite.  I would be all over it.  I like CycleOps virtual training.  You can "race" against friends but it's not anything like Zwift.

2015-01-30 2:07 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Last swim of the month done. Right at 35,000 yards for the month.

Strength and short run this evening. Weekend has me with longish bike/short run on Sat. and longish run/easy bike on Sunday. So far January has been good. Likely to end up with my biggest run mileage month in 2+ years.....trying to keep the easy very easy on the run.

I finished the month with 30,500 meters on the swim
234km (146miles) to date but will probably do another 6 tomorrow
between today and tomorrow I'll finish off with 20hrs on the bike.

I can feel the achilles are borderline so I need to watch it.
2015-01-30 2:09 PM
in reply to: littlewj

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by littlewj

My January totals were nothing to write home about. Getting back on the wagon though.

Anyway, on a whim I decided to get in line behind 10,000 other people for the beta testing of Zwift. I got an invite to participate hours later. Are any of you using this? It seems like a lot of fun. I was planning on a trainer ride for Saturday so I'll probably dowload the software and see how it goes. I'm pretty sure it doesn't have any structured workouts so I may end up running Trainerroad simultaneously on my Ipad/Iphone as soon as I get an adapter. Should be an interesting experiment!

I've been on Zwift for about 4 or 6 weeks I guess. It's cool. Good to just do an unstructured ride. It's a lot like doing a group ride. You quickly get sucked into pulling, trying to drop people, trying to draft....
2015-01-30 2:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Is the program a CPU and graphics card hog?  Can you customize your rider and bike?  I really want that invite.  It looks awesome.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ryan Mac’s HIM Focus Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 26

RELATED POSTS

Jim Kelley's (Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 29306 Posts: 460

2015-06-05 9:09 AM BlueBoy26

Baowolf's Winter training is FUN group..no really it is!! (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 36 37 38 39

Started by Baowolf
Views: 46473 Posts: 969

2016-01-12 8:40 PM Baowolf

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 54598 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 10, 2005
author : infosteward
comments : 0
'Open Water' is this triathlete’s nightmare because I have a fear of swimming in open water. Not because I can’t swim, but mostly because I can’t see what’s swimming with me in the water.