BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ryan Mac’s HIM Focus Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 26

2015-02-04 9:21 AM
in reply to: GAUG3

User image

Master
South Alabama
Subject: RE: Ryan Mac’s HIM Focus Group - CLOSED

When I first started swimming I would always breathe to the right. Had some neck issues so switched to breathing to the left. Now I am much more comfortable breathing left than right....I lift my head too high when breathing right. I need to work on breathing to the right again just so I am equally comfortable.

Kind of in a training funk this week. Not a huge volume week but some pretty good intensity on the bike and swim. Had trouble with both my swim and bike workouts yesterday as both were very demanding. Sometimes I wonder why the hell I am flogging the $h!t out of myself in early Feb. with these workouts. Of course I know that what I do now will make a difference when the season starts in early April but man it is hard to recognize that at this time of year and stay motivated. session over....for now. Easy 30-40 minute run tonight and hopefully some attitude adjustment.

I am going to a swim clinic this Saturday....hoping to find something magical to help me make some progress....seems I have plateaued, or slipped slightly over the last few months.

2015-02-05 9:28 AM
in reply to: slornow

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

You guys are quiet!!

Back to the build today.  I have a 1:45 bike with 4x15' Z3 intervals and then a 3 mile EZ run planned and hockey tonight.

I definitely enjoyed and needed the 2 days of easy workouts to reboot the engine.

2015-02-05 10:25 AM
in reply to: Ryan Mac

User image

Extreme Veteran

2 hour run on Friday, 3000y swim & 2.5 ride on the trainer (on Zwift) Saturday. EZ recovery run and spin on Sunday.

2015-02-05 1:54 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Yesterday some Z3 riding with 1 minute bursts of VO2 and a 5 mile treadmill run

Today another 5mile run and 2700m swim. What is weird is while breathing to the left feels awkward, feels like I am drowning, but it's faster. Bizarre

Randy, did you get the HRV going ?

For those that are looking for a place to log their workouts, want to measure load etc.....take a look at endurancetracker.com

a) very complete
b) free

They can score load based on Power, HR or RPE which is pretty cool. What I like is it synchronized with Garmin Connect so it's not much work to maintain. I have let it run for 2 weeks now and it is tracking everything almost identically to TP. (for free)
2015-02-05 8:18 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Master
South Alabama

Originally posted by marcag Yesterday some Z3 riding with 1 minute bursts of VO2 and a 5 mile treadmill run Today another 5mile run and 2700m swim. What is weird is while breathing to the left feels awkward, feels like I am drowning, but it's faster. Bizarre Randy, did you get the HRV going ? For those that are looking for a place to log their workouts, want to measure load etc.....take a look at endurancetracker.com a) very complete b) free They can score load based on Power, HR or RPE which is pretty cool. What I like is it synchronized with Garmin Connect so it's not much work to maintain. I have let it run for 2 weeks now and it is tracking everything almost identically to TP. (for free)

Marc-have not got the HRV going yet. Need an updated IOS on my iphone and apparently my older model does not have sufficient memory for the update.....will try to update phone in the next week or 2.

Marginally better swim today and an easy hour run. 

2015-02-06 6:39 PM

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI
I was dragging a bit today but managed to get in a good swim. main set was 5x300 @5:00SI and managed to work down from 4:42 to 4:30 by the last which was nice to see as I have not been in the pool much. Also got in a quick 4 mile run. Tomorrow is a longish bike with some Z3/4 efforts and a 6 mile tempo run. Hopefully I have more energy tomorrow.

2015-02-07 7:12 AM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

I was supposed to go on my first outdoor ride since September (geez, it's been a long time -- hope it really is "like riding a bike"!), but the car with the bike racks was dead. I tried to jump it, but to no avail. Thankfully I was smart enough to check that out before putting my bike on it! It hasn't been used much since early January, so I guess I'm not surprised.

Bummed to be on the trainer on such a nice day, but I'll get out for a run to enjoy it....probably better running weather than biking weather anyways!

2015-02-07 8:19 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Originally posted by marcagFor those that are looking for a place to log their workouts, want to measure load etc.....take a look at endurancetracker.com a) very complete b) free They can score load based on Power, HR or RPE which is pretty cool. What I like is it synchronized with Garmin Connect so it's not much work to maintain. I have let it run for 2 weeks now and it is tracking everything almost identically to TP. (for free)

I just created an account.  I will sync future workouts to it.  Tell me about the Training Fitness widget on the dashboard?

Also, could we start having some weekly topics for discussion?  I enjoy looking at your workouts.  But I like to learn from others too.  Right now I'm sucking up everything about training with power.  I haven't had that many opportunities to train outdoors with it.  Last week I did and today I should be able to.  I noticed on the down hills the power drops as it should.  I know we should back off on the uphills.  Do you hammer to keep it in the zone on downhills.  I'm no meas a coaster.  I just drop gears and feather the pedals keeping a little tension.

2015-02-07 12:39 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by GAUG3

Originally posted by marcagFor those that are looking for a place to log their workouts, want to measure load etc.....take a look at endurancetracker.com a) very complete b) free They can score load based on Power, HR or RPE which is pretty cool. What I like is it synchronized with Garmin Connect so it's not much work to maintain. I have let it run for 2 weeks now and it is tracking everything almost identically to TP. (for free)

I just created an account.  I will sync future workouts to it.  Tell me about the Training Fitness widget on the dashboard?

Also, could we start having some weekly topics for discussion?  I enjoy looking at your workouts.  But I like to learn from others too.  Right now I'm sucking up everything about training with power.  I haven't had that many opportunities to train outdoors with it.  Last week I did and today I should be able to.  I noticed on the down hills the power drops as it should.  I know we should back off on the uphills.  Do you hammer to keep it in the zone on downhills.  I'm no meas a coaster.  I just drop gears and feather the pedals keeping a little tension.

In a workout on rolling hills I usually have the gears to keep decent power. If not, I just sit up, hydrate and don't worry about the power. At the end of a workout on a hilly course I look at normalized power rather than average power

In a race, I may run out of gears at mid 30s MPH. Just coast, get as low as possible and enjoy a little reprieve.

On a hilly course, don't chase average power
2015-02-07 1:38 PM

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI
Originally posted by marcag

In a workout on rolling hills I usually have the gears to keep decent power. If not, I just sit up, hydrate and don't worry about the power. At the end of a workout on a hilly course I look at normalized power rather than average powerIn a race, I may run out of gears at mid 30s MPH. Just coast, get as low as possible and enjoy a little reprieve. On a hilly course, don't chase average power
I agree. If you are in a hilly area, pay attention to NP within your intervals. The power is going to jump around and that was a hard thing to adjust to when I first started with power. Eventually, you learn to just not worry about it on big descents. For the most part when I climbing, I will usually go a zone above my prescribed zone and then keep power steady over the hill. A lot of people will spike power when climbing and then drop significantly over the top of the hill which is not what you want. Ideally, you are able to continue at specified wattage over the top of the climb assuming its not a big descent back down. In a race, some folks will hit the lap button after a big descent so they are not chasing a certain AP as Marc mentions.
2015-02-07 1:41 PM

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

I can come up with a weekly topic. Originally I envisioned folks firing off questions that they were having trouble with or uncertainty in their training programs. But, I think you are right, that maybe if I start getting the conversation started with certain topics that will drive more forum activity here.

2015-02-07 1:42 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI
Originally posted by ligersandtions

I was supposed to go on my first outdoor ride since September (geez, it's been a long time -- hope it really is "like riding a bike"!), but the car with the bike racks was dead. I tried to jump it, but to no avail. Thankfully I was smart enough to check that out before putting my bike on it! It hasn't been used much since early January, so I guess I'm not surprised.

Bummed to be on the trainer on such a nice day, but I'll get out for a run to enjoy it....probably better running weather than biking weather anyways!

Are you not able to ride from home? I know some areas just are not bike friendly.
2015-02-07 1:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas
I can ride from home, but was meeting friends about 20 minutes (driving) from home. I don't love riding by myself (feel that there's strength in numbers...already been hit once and don't want to repeat), so I decided the trainer was a better option. Hoping to get everything taken care of before next weekend!
2015-02-07 1:52 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
Spokane
Originally posted by Ryan Mac

I can come up with a weekly topic. Originally I envisioned folks firing off questions that they were having trouble with or uncertainty in their training programs. But, I think you are right, that maybe if I start getting the conversation started with certain topics that will drive more forum activity here.

Sorry guys I've been MIA. Had to fly out of town this week for work. Didn't have time to get any workouts in other than a 4 mile quick run. I think weekly topics would be great.

As far as today is concerned, I've got an hour Zwift session planned later in the afternoon. Just finished a 2000 yard swim.

Have a great weekend of training everyone!!

Edit: My Zwift user name is j.littleworth - maybe we can get a group ride in sometime

Edited by littlewj 2015-02-07 1:57 PM
2015-02-07 7:42 PM

User image

Veteran
Brisbane, Australia
Originally posted by slornow

When I first started swimming I would always breathe to the right. Had some neck issues so switched to breathing to the left. Now I am much more comfortable breathing left than right....I lift my head too high when breathing right. I need to work on breathing to the right again just so I am equally comfortable.

Kind of in a training funk this week. Not a huge volume week but some pretty good intensity on the bike and swim. Had trouble with both my swim and bike workouts yesterday as both were very demanding. Sometimes I wonder why the hell I am flogging the $h!t out of myself in early Feb. with these workouts. Of course I know that what I do now will make a difference when the season starts in early April but man it is hard to recognize that at this time of year and stay motivated. session over....for now. Easy 30-40 minute run tonight and hopefully some attitude adjustment.

I am going to a swim clinic this Saturday....hoping to find something magical to help me make some progress....seems I have plateaued, or slipped slightly over the last few months.

I think it's important to be able to breathe on both sides. What happens if there is a big swell and every breath to the right gives you a huge lungful of water? I sync it up to my pace - easy pace = 3 strokes/breath. Harder pace will drop to doing 2 strokes, then 3, to alternate sides. When I am at threshold pace (e.g. 1000m TT) I will certainly be breathing only 1 side, but will usually swap each lap to keep it even.

The reason some may find it more difficult to breathe to one side may actually be due to arm strength. If you are a bit weaker on one side, then you won't pull as hard (relatively) which may be what is making it more difficult to get a good breath in. All the more reason to work on breathing both sides.

I am finishing up probably my biggest overall week so far in this training plan (end of base 2 week 3) so I'm looking forward to an easy week next week. I really feel my run fitness has improved in the last few weeks so I am looking forward to retesting (well not so much the test itself, moreso the improved result)!

I'd like to propose a weekly topic - mental training! Who does any sort of mental training? If so, what do you do? I barely do anything. My girlfriend is trained in psychology and was telling me repeatedly as I was training for my IM that I needed to do some mental training, but I guess I underestimated the mental effort required. I'll start listening to her now!
2015-02-08 5:57 PM
in reply to: stuart_little_9

User image

Master
South Alabama

Hey gang-swim clinic yesterday. Not a ton of swimming but 2 videos and a bunch of drills. Certainly, some things to work on evident from the video.

Today was beautiful. I was able to get outside on the bike for the first time in quite awhile. I had a specific workout but just rode...some easy...some hard but really just enjoyed the great weather and being outside. 5 mile run off the bike. First two miles pretty easy then bumped up pace with each mile. Felt pretty good. High temp was probably close to 70 degrees.  Thought about all you folks in the frozen tundra and realize I was lucky to be on the Gulf Coast today. Now, May through Sept is a different story

2015-02-09 1:03 PM

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

Nice Randy.  I have  trip coming up to Florida for 10 days in March and planning to rent a road bike for the majority of that.  We have not got near as much snow as last year but it has been quite cold.  Lots of days with highs in the teens and 20s.

I thought I was in the early stages of a head cold.  Yesterday, my 9 miler I felt terrible.  Just no energy and lethargic.  Same thing at my hockey game that evening.  Although today I woke up feeling ok and had a descent 6 mile tempo run at lunch so maybe I lucked out.

Officially starting my build to my first HIM of the year in June.

I definitely have my sights set on sub 4:30 if the conditions are good.   Excited about the year.

What are your big goals this year?

2015-02-09 1:53 PM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Hey everyone!

so, i am still not fully over this stupid cold. I sat out for the weekend hoping it would finally give up but I was in pain as it seems I pulled my lat while coughing (?).  Really super sore - with some icy hot rub and a tylenol it seems to be calmed down today.  Still feels mostly like i've been kicked in the ribs - i didn't realize I could pull a muscle when coughing ... erg.  so i do intend to at least try swimming tonight.  I'll pull the plug if it is just too sore. Really frustrated.  

Zwift sounds super fun! I'll have to give it a try! 

2015-02-09 1:58 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran

Only goal is to get this run under control.  I can push myself on the swim and and bike.  Something about running has me all screwed up.

Zwift is awesome.  I had a 3 hour ride on Saturday.  I rode 2 of it outdoors with a group and I could not wait to get home and finish the last hour on the trainer.  Crazy... I know.  Maybe they should do one for running.

Edited by GAUG3 2015-02-09 1:59 PM
2015-02-09 7:55 PM

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

Only goal is to get this run under control.  I can push myself on the swim and and bike.  Something about running has me all screwed up.

Zwift is awesome.  I had a 3 hour ride on Saturday.  I rode 2 of it outdoors with a group and I could not wait to get home and finish the last hour on the trainer.  Crazy... I know.  Maybe they should do one for running.

What issues are you having with your run training?
2015-02-09 8:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

It's mental and physical.  I just need to learn to be comfortable being uncomfortable.

2015-02-10 7:42 AM
in reply to: stuart_little_9

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

Originally posted by stuart_little_9
Originally posted by slornow

I think it's important to be able to breathe on both sides. What happens if there is a big swell and every breath to the right gives you a huge lungful of water? I sync it up to my pace - easy pace = 3 strokes/breath. Harder pace will drop to doing 2 strokes, then 3, to alternate sides. When I am at threshold pace (e.g. 1000m TT) I will certainly be breathing only 1 side, but will usually swap each lap to keep it even. The reason some may find it more difficult to breathe to one side may actually be due to arm strength. If you are a bit weaker on one side, then you won't pull as hard (relatively) which may be what is making it more difficult to get a good breath in. All the more reason to work on breathing both sides. I am finishing up probably my biggest overall week so far in this training plan (end of base 2 week 3) so I'm looking forward to an easy week next week. I really feel my run fitness has improved in the last few weeks so I am looking forward to retesting (well not so much the test itself, moreso the improved result)! I'd like to propose a weekly topic - mental training! Who does any sort of mental training? If so, what do you do? I barely do anything. My girlfriend is trained in psychology and was telling me repeatedly as I was training for my IM that I needed to do some mental training, but I guess I underestimated the mental effort required. I'll start listening to her now!

Interesting that you mention the mental training as I have gave it some thought.  Ultimately, I don't think I have enough time in the day for all this stuff.  I would like to do some core work and strength work but just do not have all the time and resources to fit it all in.

I definitely think it would do some benefit, however.  I think one of my big letdowns last year was not *really* believing that I could run sub 1:35 off the bike.  For the most part we were working my bike and swim and running took a backseat really not doing much so there was always doubt I could run well for 13.1 miles off the bike.

2015-02-10 8:20 AM

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

It's mental and physical.  I just need to learn to be comfortable being uncomfortable.

Another thing about goals is to try to have some process goals along the way.  For instance, the big goal might be to ride a 2:25 at your HIM next year, a process goal might be to gradually build to 500 TSS on the bike during a build or achieve an FTP of 270.  As those process goals will ultimately be what achieves your big goal of 2:25 on the bike leg.

What I found nice with my power meter, was I do not even show Average Speed on my screen at all, ever.  During a race, I am only dialed into my power and RPE.  I know if I ride well within my power ranges and conditions are descent what my time will be.

Another cool tool that picked my HIM bike leg time at Steelhead within a minute is bestbikesplit.com.  Check that out if you have some time.  very useful.

2015-02-10 12:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

What power screens do you have?  I have avg 3s, avg 10s, power zone and % of FTP.  I'm not locked into any of them.  I'm just seeing what there is and learning.  I even had balance at one point.  I even thought about putting IF on it just see it.

What % low and cap do you put on HIM races?  I've seen 75%-85% and 80-85%

2015-02-10 1:52 PM

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

What power screens do you have?  I have avg 3s, avg 10s, power zone and % of FTP.  I'm not locked into any of them.  I'm just seeing what there is and learning.  I even had balance at one point.  I even thought about putting IF on it just see it.

What % low and cap do you put on HIM races?  I've seen 75%-85% and 80-85%

I have several different screens but the main one I use almost exclusively is lap time, NP Lap, AP Lap, 3s and 30s power. That tells me about everything I need. I have my zones memorized and %ftp jumps around way too much to be useful I found.Last year I targeted 78-82% FTP and came in at .80 on both. To be honest, probably may have been better off at the lower end of that range.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ryan Mac’s HIM Focus Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 26

RELATED POSTS

Jim Kelley's (Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 29391 Posts: 460

2015-06-05 9:09 AM BlueBoy26

Baowolf's Winter training is FUN group..no really it is!! (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 36 37 38 39

Started by Baowolf
Views: 46603 Posts: 969

2016-01-12 8:40 PM Baowolf

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 54702 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 10, 2005
author : infosteward
comments : 0
'Open Water' is this triathlete’s nightmare because I have a fear of swimming in open water. Not because I can’t swim, but mostly because I can’t see what’s swimming with me in the water.