BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ryan Mac’s HIM Focus Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 26

2015-01-13 1:37 PM
in reply to: Donielle

User image

Subject: RE: Ryan Mac’s HIM Focus Group - CLOSED
Originally posted by Donielle

Hi! Sorry, the pneumonia had me catching me up, still not fully healed- I will pop on my actual computer and send bio in the next few days. Looking forward to training!

Ouch! Hope you get to feeling better!

2015-01-13 2:19 PM
in reply to: Ryan Mac

User image

Originally posted by Ryan Mac

Home today with a sick kid. Always something it seems. RSV this time.I have 6 mile run planned with 4 at Z3 tempo so hopefully I can get that in at some point.

I have such a downside potential for this with my 3 but have been blessed. Have only had one of the three sick for a couple of days this winter (fingers crossed). Hope yours gets to feeling better soon!
2015-01-13 2:22 PM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

Originally posted by juniperjen

I had a good weekend and managed to get a little training in - nothing overly strenuous but got it done. 

QUESTION: I need to get my HIM plan in order. I have Fink's book on Half Irons.  Anyone done is his half plan? it appeals to me because the days are predictable but some of the workouts look boring and starts pretty easy. I've used the plan on this site with good results but it takes a bit of effort to organize to fit life/schedule and it's not predictable (ie tuesday is a steady run and swim,  wednesday is a bike/run day, etc). Would love your thoughts. 

Hi Jen:  I meant to come back around to give some feedback on this question.  I have never done Fink but did review it at some point in the past.  These type of plans are generic so I am not surprised you are questioning some parts of it.  You are not a beginner and have a base to begin with so the start may be a little bit easy.   You can certainly add volume or intensity as you see fit.  You are a self coached athlete so you have to make educated decisions on what you think is best based on how your body is feeling and what you can handle.  Just remember, that you are trying to build fitness for that one 'A' race and it supposed to be easy at the beginning.

I question things all the time, like right now, my training is pretty easy.  But, when I look at the big picture and review.  My goal is to be my absolute best on 1 occasion next year and everything is building to that point.  If I was killing it right now, I guarantee eventually I would crash and burn well before that day.  All that to say its a process and you have to trust it a little bit.

If you did go with the BT plan, feel free to shift things around.  I am sure there are probably 2 to 3 key sessions each week.  Make everything else fit around those sessions and your schedule as those are the most important.

BTW - little man is feeling much better today after we got some medicine from the doctor last night.

2015-01-13 2:25 PM
in reply to: ShawnTX

User image

O.K. so I finally got my training plan roughed out. Worked up one of the plans on here and had to rework it quite a bit to fit my schedule. Not sure if there is a way for me to share it on here, but the workouts should show up in my training log. Pretty sure I have that set to public. It is going to be a crazy next 3 1/2 months for me, but I'm looking forward to the progress I will surely make.
2015-01-13 7:11 PM
in reply to: #5082721

User image

Dang Garmin is frustrating me. Couldn't even log into the site this afternoon. They need to hire some new programmers. Got in 3.16 miles in just over 30 minutes. Run was supposed to be 40 minutes, but just couldn't fit it in. Had to rush to pick up the kids on time. HR still rocking in the 170's, but I would call it an RPE 3-4 run.
2015-01-13 7:21 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Ryan-hope the little man continues to improve.

Bike workout tonight was another try at the Saturday workout. Faired a little better but still didn't hit all of the intervals. I started using a different PT wheel about a month ago and I am wondering if there may be a little difference in the numbers between the 2 wheels. May put the old wheel on the bike and see if I notice any difference. Might just be hoping that is why I have become such a wuss. Old wheel is probably 4 years old and has older PT Pro+ hub. New wheel has G3 hub. Readings should be the same but even a couple % difference in the readings would make a pretty decent  diffence on the hard intervals. Or, I could be a wuss...the likely problem.

2015-01-13 9:38 PM
in reply to: slornow

User image

Cleveland OH
Ran 6 miles on the treadmill. 3 miles @ 7:00 pace, did a few hill runs too
2015-01-14 10:22 AM
in reply to: smithat05

User image

Extreme Veteran

Treadmill for me this morning and trainer this afternoon.  Starting to get that rattle in my chest that the other 5 people in my home have.  Great.

2015-01-14 2:29 PM

User image

NH

I had a good weekend and managed to get a little training in - nothing overly strenuous but got it done. 

QUESTION: I need to get my HIM plan in order. I have Fink's book on Half Irons.  Anyone done is his half plan? it appeals to me because the days are predictable but some of the workouts look boring and starts pretty easy. I've used the plan on this site with good results but it takes a bit of effort to organize to fit life/schedule and it's not predictable (ie tuesday is a steady run and swim,  wednesday is a bike/run day, etc). Would love your thoughts. 

Hi Jen:  I meant to come back around to give some feedback on this question.  I have never done Fink but did review it at some point in the past.  These type of plans are generic so I am not surprised you are questioning some parts of it.  You are not a beginner and have a base to begin with so the start may be a little bit easy.   You can certainly add volume or intensity as you see fit.  You are a self coached athlete so you have to make educated decisions on what you think is best based on how your body is feeling and what you can handle.  Just remember, that you are trying to build fitness for that one 'A' race and it supposed to be easy at the beginning.

I question things all the time, like right now, my training is pretty easy.  But, when I look at the big picture and review.  My goal is to be my absolute best on 1 occasion next year and everything is building to that point.  If I was killing it right now, I guarantee eventually I would crash and burn well before that day.  All that to say its a process and you have to trust it a little bit.

If you did go with the BT plan, feel free to shift things around.  I am sure there are probably 2 to 3 key sessions each week.  Make everything else fit around those sessions and your schedule as those are the most important.

BTW - little man is feeling much better today after we got some medicine from the doctor last night.

Agree with all this advice, and I'll add my take. One thing which trumps everything in endurance training is consistency. So to me it's critical to have a weekly plan which makes it the most likely you will hit those key sessions. If your life/work/home schedule is consistent week-to-week, this implies that you have a relatively similar week to week training schedule - at least in terms of what day is what workout.

For instance, last year I knew that Weds night I had to pick my son up after work at a weapons class he was taking. So I planned every Wednesday evening to be my long run since I could leave work, run near where his training happened, and then drive him home. A little off the standard training plan schedule, but it worked because I could hit the long run without fail every week.
2015-01-14 2:31 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

NH
I did my first swim since last year's races today. Can't do a freestyle yet, but I did breast stroke and kicking. 900 yards breast stroke and 300 yards with the kickboard. Shoulder feels tired but fine. We'll see how it responds overnight. I'm rather stoked!

Edited by wbayek 2015-01-14 2:31 PM
2015-01-14 2:44 PM
in reply to: wbayek

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Originally posted by wbayek I did my first swim since last year's races today. Can't do a freestyle yet, but I did breast stroke and kicking. 900 yards breast stroke and 300 yards with the kickboard. Shoulder feels tired but fine. We'll see how it responds overnight. I'm rather stoked!

YAY!!! Good to have progress!

2015-01-14 6:35 PM
in reply to: wbayek

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI
Warren: glad to hear you are back in the water!I did a 1 hour Sweetspot ride and a 4 mile easy run off the bike at lunch. Been a busy day with meetings so was not able to check in to frequently today.
2015-01-14 6:36 PM

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI
Originally posted by slornow

Bike workout tonight was another try at the Saturday workout. Faired a little better but still didn't hit all of the intervals. I started using a different PT wheel about a month ago and I am wondering if there may be a little difference in the numbers between the 2 wheels. May put the old wheel on the bike and see if I notice any difference. Might just be hoping that is why I have become such a wuss. Old wheel is probably 4 years old and has older PT Pro+ hub. New wheel has G3 hub. Readings should be the same but even a couple % difference in the readings would make a pretty decent  diffence on the hard intervals. Or, I could be a wuss...the likely problem.

Sounds like you should do a 20' FTP test haha.
2015-01-14 7:44 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Originally posted by slornow

Sounds like you should do a 20' FTP test haha.

You are not a nice person!

Struggled with swim today at lunch. Not sure what is going on with my swim lately.  Pretty good run interval workout tonight. 12X400 on 400 easy. Not trying to crush these but push solid pace...last few feel like work. Trying to avoid too much intensity at this point of the year. Pretty much all my other runs are easy....or "chill" as written by my coach.

2015-01-15 3:02 AM

User image

Veteran
Brisbane, Australia
Hi team,
Today had me doing my LTHR field test for running. Slight improvement to pace from only 2 weeks ago - NGP of 5:21/km and HR 176. Prior to my HIM last year I was down to around 4:45/km, so I have plenty of room for improvement.

Also did 60min tempo z3 on the bike today.

My weekend is looking like a big one, especially the 4 hour ride on Saturday. It'll be max temp of 35C (95F) and high humidity here on Saturday, so I'll be sure to head out early. That's probably about 100F hotter than most of you guys at the moment lol! Australia is, for most of the year, super hot!

I just bought my first trainer, so I don't know when I'll be using it. Looks like I no longer have the weather as an excuse not to ride now. I also downloaded Golden Cheetah to try it out. Looks a bit confusing but I'll have a bit more of a play. I hope I'm able to tie it in to the Sufferfest videos that I have.

Keep up the hard work everyone, and to those who are sick, get well!
2015-01-15 11:03 AM
in reply to: stuart_little_9

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Originally posted by stuart_little_9 Hi team, Today had me doing my LTHR field test for running. Slight improvement to pace from only 2 weeks ago - NGP of 5:21/km and HR 176. Prior to my HIM last year I was down to around 4:45/km, so I have plenty of room for improvement. Also did 60min tempo z3 on the bike today. My weekend is looking like a big one, especially the 4 hour ride on Saturday. It'll be max temp of 35C (95F) and high humidity here on Saturday, so I'll be sure to head out early. That's probably about 100F hotter than most of you guys at the moment lol! Australia is, for most of the year, super hot! I just bought my first trainer, so I don't know when I'll be using it. Looks like I no longer have the weather as an excuse not to ride now. I also downloaded Golden Cheetah to try it out. Looks a bit confusing but I'll have a bit more of a play. I hope I'm able to tie it in to the Sufferfest videos that I have. Keep up the hard work everyone, and to those who are sick, get well!

Uh, yeah, over in Canada we're at -5C for the high - and i am in a milder part of the country. Sigh. Though, i don't really enjoy it when it's that hot either ... the summer i trained for IM was really hot here and we'd leave at 6 am to try to beat the hottest part of the day at least.  Stay hydrated! 

Best of luck with the training/ 

Do you use the sufferest already or is it something to try out since its your first trainer? 

2015-01-15 11:19 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Had a good swim last night - l am very glad to do a coached swim because it really pushes me to do things I wouldn't otherwise.  She's got us doing band work in each workout lately which used to make me a little panicky but i am actually feeling doing what it's supposed to do, i think.  

She suggested that I do an underwater video session to see what's going on under the water.  Anyone have this done? 

I hadn't really given it much thought - primarily because i find it difficult to take in all the information even in regular setting and use it meaningfully. It can feel like a hundred things to do at once. I've always felt like i had enough room for improvement with what could be seen. Not to be hard on myself but i think i have been improving (and I do feel good about it) but i do think my coach might be a little frustrated with not having me improve more (move up lanes - like other people have) and wondering what to do.  

2015-01-15 12:48 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Had a good swim last night - l am very glad to do a coached swim because it really pushes me to do things I wouldn't otherwise.  She's got us doing band work in each workout lately which used to make me a little panicky but i am actually feeling doing what it's supposed to do, i think.  

She suggested that I do an underwater video session to see what's going on under the water.  Anyone have this done? 

I hadn't really given it much thought - primarily because i find it difficult to take in all the information even in regular setting and use it meaningfully. It can feel like a hundred things to do at once. I've always felt like i had enough room for improvement with what could be seen. Not to be hard on myself but i think i have been improving (and I do feel good about it) but i do think my coach might be a little frustrated with not having me improve more (move up lanes - like other people have) and wondering what to do.  

You should get that video session done.  You would be surprised as to what evils lurk underwater.  In my case, my left arm was not catching the water.

2015-01-15 12:54 PM
in reply to: GAUG3

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

Originally posted by GAUG3

You should get that video session done.  You would be surprised as to what evils lurk underwater.  In my case, my left arm was not catching the water.

Yes.  If you have the opportunity then definitely do it.  It is one thing to have somebody tell you what you are doing wrong, then to actually see it in action.  Much easier to improve it if you have a full grasp (visual) on what is wrong.

2015-01-15 12:57 PM
in reply to: stuart_little_9

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

Originally posted by stuart_little_9 Hi team, Today had me doing my LTHR field test for running. Slight improvement to pace from only 2 weeks ago - NGP of 5:21/km and HR 176. Prior to my HIM last year I was down to around 4:45/km, so I have plenty of room for improvement. Also did 60min tempo z3 on the bike today. My weekend is looking like a big one, especially the 4 hour ride on Saturday. It'll be max temp of 35C (95F) and high humidity here on Saturday, so I'll be sure to head out early. That's probably about 100F hotter than most of you guys at the moment lol! Australia is, for most of the year, super hot! I just bought my first trainer, so I don't know when I'll be using it. Looks like I no longer have the weather as an excuse not to ride now. I also downloaded Golden Cheetah to try it out. Looks a bit confusing but I'll have a bit more of a play. I hope I'm able to tie it in to the Sufferfest videos that I have. Keep up the hard work everyone, and to those who are sick, get well!

I like how you refer  to that 30 minute run test as ho-hum, just another workout .  That takes alot of mental energy to do.  I just prefer racing than do that run test although my coach had me do a 1-mile TT last year - oh the pain!!

2015-01-15 2:40 PM

User image

Regular
Spokane
Hello everyone - It seems I've been bitten with pretty bad cold/flu the last few days. I though I felt somewhat better last night and attempted my 5' ftp test. I bailed about 10 minutes in. Just didn't have any energy. Hopefully I'll start feeling better by the weekend.

2015-01-15 4:26 PM
in reply to: littlewj

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI
Originally posted by littlewjHello everyone - It seems I've been bitten with pretty bad cold/flu the last few days. I though I felt somewhat better last night and attempted my 5' ftp test. I bailed about 10 minutes in. Just didn't have any energy. Hopefully I'll start feeling better by the weekend.
Jim: Once you start feeling better ease back into training slowly. I would recommend that you don't try any further testing until you have about a week of training under your belt after the sickness. Obviously, the testing is tough on your body and doing it too soon and you can fall back into that sickness.
2015-01-16 9:42 AM

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

What does everybody have on the agenda today?

I am swimming at lunch, main set is 15x100 @1:45SI and then an easy 8 mile run later this afternoon or tonight.

Yesterday I missed my planned run due to being home again with my son but played hockey later that evening, so got something in.

2015-01-16 11:11 AM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Short, easy run this morning -- really looking forward to getting back to tri training next week!  Rumor has it our pool heater will be fixed and back in service (been out since before Thanksgiving!!!) on Monday.  I suspect that might be an ugly swim having been out that long, but I'm still looking forward to it.

Will also be getting back on the bike....with hopefully enough time to mentally (and physically, for the saddle contact areas at least!) prepare for nine days of the Tour of Sufferlandria.

2015-01-16 11:18 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

This morning was an easy 45min run on treadmill with 10x20sec incline and flat strides. This afternoon is 60min easy spin on trainer.  Yesterday's swim was harder than it should have been but I still hit my splits.  Still fighting this cough that was passed to me.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ryan Mac’s HIM Focus Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 26

RELATED POSTS

Jim Kelley's (Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 29493 Posts: 460

2015-06-05 9:09 AM BlueBoy26

Baowolf's Winter training is FUN group..no really it is!! (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 36 37 38 39

Started by Baowolf
Views: 46682 Posts: 969

2016-01-12 8:40 PM Baowolf

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 54825 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 10, 2005
author : infosteward
comments : 0
'Open Water' is this triathlete’s nightmare because I have a fear of swimming in open water. Not because I can’t swim, but mostly because I can’t see what’s swimming with me in the water.