BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Todd's Tri Turtles 4 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10K) CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 44

2015-01-30 12:51 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

FortWayne, Indiana
Subject: Training?
Working full time, how much time is enough time to devote to training? Right now, I either swim, ride or run. It seems that it is hard for me to squeeze more than an hour. On days off I try to put a swim together with a ride. But I wonder am I doing enough? driving to the pool eats up time, and then I have to drive home. I have been riding on my bike trainer while the weather is bad. I know I need to suck it up and just run outside instead of going to the gym to run on the treadmill, but when I get off of work at 4am it is still dark out and I do not feel "safe" to be running by myself outside. Any suggestions at how much time I should be training a day? Or any suggestion at how to get the most out of the short time that you do have?

Edited by Suzie471 2015-01-30 1:01 AM

2015-01-30 12:52 AM
in reply to: Smiley9188

User image

Des Plaines, Illinois
Subject: RE: Todd's Tri Turtles 4 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10K) Open
OMGeee! I got a 30 min. swim in today at lunch (at 11a). Then after work headed back to the gym. 30 min on a recumbent stationary (I broke the one spin bike not locked up in the studio so that was my only choice) immediately followed by week 5 of C25K (5 min jog, 5 min walk, etc) for 30 min. The only distance I hit in 30 min was the swim (24 x 50m)...but I feel like an absolute beast! I wanted to know what running on overworked legs felt like and it wasn't so bad. I'm beginning to think this is real. I can totally do this. I've been riding in the gap between excitement and sheer terror...and today's workout pushed me over to the massively hyped side. It's nice to have someone to share this with.
2015-01-30 7:25 AM

User image

Hi Smiley,
I am not sure how long the transition time is. I will definately need to check on that. I will start in an indoor pool(400yd) then get on a bike outside (20k)and run( 5K). Thanks everyone for your advice. Luckily the Tri shop was closed yesterday so that I got all the info I will go today. They do have a treadmill so that I can try on shoes and see how they feel when I run.

Today I am back in the pool for 100yd and another walk. Next week after my swim class, I will have more focused swim trainings. I am looking forward to that. I am also going to get in a good stretch session. I find that I am not doing that as much as I should after my workouts and I really don't want any issues.

Have a great day everyone!
Nicole

Edited by nekomidori 2015-01-30 7:32 AM
2015-01-30 7:27 AM
in reply to: jennifersmith847

User image

How exciting Jennifer! I am curious to see how it feels once I am up to that point.

Nicole
2015-01-30 7:31 AM

User image

My race is in August.

I will have to deal with the heat of South Carolina. On the plus side I won't be wet for long on the ride. lol
I am looking into races around and maybe enter a 5K before then to keep some focus going.
Nicole
2015-01-30 10:30 AM
in reply to: libbyfhenderson

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by libbyfhenderson

NAME: Libby Henderson, 46

STORY: 15 years, and 75 lbs ago, I was a pretty consistent runner. Washed out of running and competitive tennis with injuries, and bought a horse. That first horse has turned into a herd of 6 and a farm. During this time, my most consistent exercise has been riding, and though it isn't as much all the horse as a it looks, it isn't enough to keep me fit. I do a sport called Eventing, which is essentially a horse triathlon. It consists of compulsory movements in a routine (dressage), running and jumping cross country, and then stadium jumping over the brightly colored poles. I have a new horse that I am just getting started, and so we are the baby, tiny level classes. At my age, I'm ok if we stay there! She is like her mom, and can stay plump on air, so I'm working to get myself fit and her fit at the same time. I used to do endurance riding and every ride has a "turtle" award for the riders that come in last. It is a really cool idea, and I love the idea of the Training Turtles! My goal is for a sprint tri at the end of May and I'm ok with being last -- I want to aim for the turtle award! My running is hard due to the aforementioned injuries, so I'm ok with walk/running if that is where I have to stay, but my swimming SUCKS. I used to be a strong swimmer, though I've never done organized swimming. Got in the pool today and was stunned at how hard this is going to be. Signed up for stroke development clinic right away.

CURRENT TRAINING: in the fall, I was running/walking and riding my bike, alternating days, 6 days a week and was doing good until it got cold. Floridians don't like the cold. Worked up to 30 miles on the bike, and could do a 5k, walking/running, though super slow. Currently strength training with the trainer 2x a week, and getting started building a base in the pool and will be getting back on my bike and running in the next week or so.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: I take instruction well, and need goals and accountability. For some reason the swimming -- both the act of doing it, and the confronting the groups of cool kids that are between me and the pool is really hard. So, I need to have to check in. I'm very new here to BT, and have lots to figure out. Also, I LOVE the idea of being a Turtle. In fact, my step grandson has a Twighlight Turtle -- he's a toy that is a nightlight, and projects the stars onto the ceiling. I have promised myself that if I finish the triathlon in Montgomery that I can have my own Turtle Nightlight! I'm apparently 46, going on 3

Libby welcome to the Turtles. Don't worry, if you were once a strong swimmer it will all come back to you pretty quickly. You are right as far as the injury front goes. Monitor what you do, how you feel, what works and doesn't work pain wise, just be smart because if your not you likely won't make it to race day. Don't worry about the run and having to walk, there will be others right beside you doing the same. Love the Turtle nightlight idea and it really seems like you have an understand of yourself and will stay within yourself as you work towards your tri.

2015-01-30 10:44 AM
in reply to: Suzie471

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Suzie471

Thanks Todd for the encouragement and excepting me into the group!

I do wish that I did not have to always think about "where the money is coming from?" It seems that I live in area that it is hard for me to find Tri's that are not far away. I will be going to Ann Arbor Michigan in June for the Tri Goddess Tri which for me is about a 2 1/2hr drive. With the cost of entering and staying in a hotel it seems that it can add up pretty quickly with money, and with Tri's starting so early in the morning, I feel like I need to stay the night before. It can get a little frustrating with the costs.

Looking forward to being apart of the group and I hope that I can add some motivation to others!

What I do for the most part now is try to do fewer races but make them more of a family vacation / getaway that I happen to do a triathlon or race at. I will tell you that my biggest thing with hotels is staying at the host hotel especially if the race is going to be held at the location or within easy walking distance. The host hotel allows for my wife and daughter to not have to wake up and leave with me at 5A.m. to check in and set up transition. They can sleep till 7, eat breakfast, and usually get to see my swim wave take off. I try to make things easier and more convenient for them when possible. The key to all of this for me has been to book my rooms as soon as I think there may even be a chance that I want to do the race. If I decide not to or can't then I just cancel the room, but if I can then I just pay for the race and have a great / close hotel to stay at. Example: Check in to hotel on Friday with family, Saturday - get checked in for race and then spend the day with the family doing whatever we will all enjoy, and a good dinner out to cap the night, Sunday I wake up, walk out, get things set up and then it's race time. I have got to the point that I have even told my wife and daughter that they are welcome to sleep in if they want to, but they never really do, although they have started skipping the swim because of all the waves and they say they can't see me anyhow. The other thing I will tell you that helps with family at races is if you are at a location that affords them something to do while your on the bike portion. For a half IM your talking about almost 3 hours, so I want to know their not just sitting there bored.
2015-01-30 1:25 PM

User image

, Connecticut
Subject: RE: Training?

Working full time, how much time is enough time to devote to training? Right now, I either swim, ride or run. It seems that it is hard for me to squeeze more than an hour. On days off I try to put a swim together with a ride. But I wonder am I doing enough? driving to the pool eats up time, and then I have to drive home. I have been riding on my bike trainer while the weather is bad. I know I need to suck it up and just run outside instead of going to the gym to run on the treadmill, but when I get off of work at 4am it is still dark out and I do not feel "safe" to be running by myself outside. Any suggestions at how much time I should be training a day? Or any suggestion at how to get the most out of the short time that you do have?

Hi Suzie,
What are you training for? Are you working toward a sprint in the summer? I think you need to trust your gut. Map out your races and your skill level right now and consider what needs to be worked on? Rather than just 'run' on the treadmill perhaps you can spice it up and work on your speed by bumping up the speed every minute for 4 minutes then bringing it back down to your recovery pace? If you do that for 20 minutes you'll get a hell of a workout but won't take too long. It's a HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training). Then maybe do some strength training on your upper body to give your legs a break and maximize your time at the gym? and STRETCH! And Foam Roll. And take care of those muscles you plan on using the hell out of come warm weather.

For me I'm just trying to maintain right now. I'm goaling to start doing sprint tris this summer. actual 'training' seems a little unnecessasry to me right now and to be honest, i'm not motivated to really 'train' but I think about it a lot. So for me I'm trying to swim, bike and run at least once a week at this point. But I have no idea what is the 'right' amount. I think you need to figure that one out. Keep kicking butt! You're awesome. (and yes, consider the safety factor).
2015-01-30 1:27 PM

User image

, Connecticut
Originally posted by jennifersmith847

OMGeee! I got a 30 min. swim in today at lunch (at 11a). Then after work headed back to the gym. 30 min on a recumbent stationary (I broke the one spin bike not locked up in the studio so that was my only choice) immediately followed by week 5 of C25K (5 min jog, 5 min walk, etc) for 30 min. The only distance I hit in 30 min was the swim (24 x 50m)...but I feel like an absolute beast! I wanted to know what running on overworked legs felt like and it wasn't so bad. I'm beginning to think this is real. I can totally do this. I've been riding in the gap between excitement and sheer terror...and today's workout pushed me over to the massively hyped side. It's nice to have someone to share this with.

AWESOME!!! I love that you feel like an absolute beast! I know what you mean~ I'm in that same place- between excitement and sheer terror, that's a great way to put it! Good for you jennifer!! ~Colleen
2015-01-30 1:28 PM
in reply to: #5078752

Hi all! I live an hour North of Boston in New Hampshire..... I've done half marathons and duathlons before and want to try a Tri.... My weakness is swimming (especially open water). Looking forward to learning and stepping up my work out program to successfully complete my first tri this summer.... Just wanted to say hi.... I'll write more later when I'm out of work
2015-01-30 1:29 PM
in reply to: #5088884

Sorry, forgot to include my name is Donna and I'm 40 years old...

2015-01-30 2:32 PM
in reply to: Hunting Triathlete

User image

Hi Todd,

I would like to join your mentor group!

About me…

Name: Catherine

Story: I’m a 43 year old mom of 2 with a very busy career who has gotten interested in triathlon as a forcing function to take better care of myself. I love to exercise, but have always been a “goal oriented” exerciser, which means if I don’t have a good goal I easily start slacking off! Last year I completed my first sprint triathlon and loved the whole process from training through completion. I have registered for 2 more sprints this summer as well as a duathlon. I really enjoy both running and biking, but the swimming part of tri gives me huge anxiety. I would describe myself as a drowner rather than a swimmer ? I swam breast stroke for my first tri, and my goal for this year is to improve my swimming. My biggest challenge is in fitting my training around my otherwise super busy life!

Family Status: Married for 18 years, 2 terrific girls (ages 6 and 9) who also completed there first triathlon last summer!

Current Training: I just started to ramp up again in the New Year after a period of inactivity in the late fall. I am currently focusing on running and swimming and will add in some spin classes/ indoor cycling in the next month or so. My first tri this season is in June, so I will probably start a formal training plan 12 weeks before that.

2014 Races: Title 9 Sprint Triathlon, Hopkinton, MA; Tufts 10K for Women; Cambridge Spring, Fall, and Winter Classics (5Ks)

2015 Races: Escape The Cape Tri (June 13), Title 9 Sprint Tri (Sept. 13), NE Season Opener Duathlon (May 10)

Weightloss: Not my primary objective – I wouldn’t mind losing 5 pounds, but mostly I want to build muscle

What will make me a good mentee: I’m very enthusiastic, will be an active part of the community, and love to celebrate other’s accomplishments!

2015-01-30 3:57 PM

Hi Todd
I am 52 and just started law school and it is my goal to compete in Ironman by the time I graduate. I am pretty good at runner but rusty after an ankle injury, have some biking experience and a new road bike, but my biggest challenge is that I never learned to swim properly. I just started at the pool and am not afraid of water, I am just not very coordinated and can't seem to get the breathing right. I am looking for a good mentor and am hoping that you are it!

Marital Status: Married for just over a year. No kids. 6 cats.

2014 - Races - 5k Bubble Run, 10K Race for the Animals

2015 - Canby Dahlia Run - August; Portland Marathon November

Weight Loss- Hopefully I'll lose as I gain training and muscle

Fianna

Edited by fianna 2015-01-30 4:01 PM
2015-01-30 3:58 PM
in reply to: allan_c

User image

Southern Norway, Vest-Agder
Subject: First steps at cycling
Question: So I´ve never cycled before. Ok, I know how to ride a bike, but never used it in training. My plan the next month is to put in two sessions pr. week on the seat to get started. Anyone got a tip on a simple startup program I can use to get going?

I will also need to put the bike in our living room as we have little storage space and no separate garage or gym. My wife does not know this yet. Can I cover it up with some candles or tablecloth to make the transition smoother? Or should I take another approach and tempt her with the prospect of me in a tight cycle shorts to enjoy during commercials between the reruns of The Bachelor? I have a nagging feeling that the last option may have the opposite effect with the current state of affairs. Any tips appreciated here.

2015-01-30 4:26 PM
in reply to: dpjake

User image

I hope I am not too late. I just discovered this site.

NAME: Hi everyone. My name is Krista.

STORY: In my childhood/college years I was very athletic, I was a distance swimmer and tennis player and had a full ride to college on a tennis scholarship. I always worked really hard, to try to make up for being 5'3". There were always going to be taller players so I tried hard to be fitter and faster.

But then after college I was starting out my career as a graphic designer and I married a pilot also starting out his career as a commuter pilot. We ended up moving to a small town in WI, and there was no one to play tennis with, nor did I have the funds for indoor tennis facilities. I had a baby, and used the cold winter as excuses not to work out. Gained weight with the pregnancy and never figured out how to lose it. I've done a few drastic diets, but that always led to gaining more weight. Stress, jobs, two more moves, and then finally my husband got his dream job. I was able to stop working two jobs and staying up often all night to get client work done. But the downside was I was in a new place, and went from over-scheduled to bored out of my mind, as my daughter started school at the same time. I ended up gaining more weight from eating and being all around lazy. I did do P90X for three months and lost 20 lbs. but tore my rotator cuff during my last week and gained it all back.

The extra weight made me afraid to try anything that was in public. I didn't want anyone to see me looking so gross. I did make a few attempts at 5k running programs, (on my treadmill where no one could see me) but always got to a point where I couldn't do the scheduled time, I felt like I was dying and I would quit. I think I am trying to run too fast to maintain the running.

Then last year at my daughter's soccer practice a woman who is very nice but totally intimidates me because she runs ultra-marathons mentioned that she was playing tennis. I casually mentioned that I used to play (17 years ago). She basically forced me to go to a clinic with her. I tried every excuse I could think of. I showed up in 17 year old tennis shoes I found in the garage and yoga pants. Within five minutes I realized the old shoes had been a bad idea as I had ripped off both my big toenails and my shoes were making squishing noises from the blood. I didn't want to be that person who gets injured in the first five minutes. So I quietly did lamaze breathing exercises in the corner between drills. I didn't tell anyone what happened. My fear of failure or being humiliated somehow got me through the longest hour and a half of my life! I drove home barefoot and bleeding but oddly proud too.

That experience helped me realize that despite being big and old, that I still could play. I mean what not much worse could happen and I had managed to get through it. I have been playing for over a year now. I realized if I wait until I am at my ideal weight to do something I am never going to do anything. So I sucked it up, bought new shoes and some tennis skirts (ugh!). And despite my weight I am playing competitively. Actually, I find people underestimate me because they assume I am lazy.

So I decided that if I can do tennis, I can do this too. I am currently on a guest membership at a gym for two weeks. I was able to get into the pool and swim two miles right away. I guess stroke mechanics and muscle memory still work even when your body has changed. I am not fast like I used to be but still can pass some people in the pool.

Running is still my nemesis. I am afraid I will never be able to run the distances required for triathlons. This is where I am going to need help and encouragement.

FAMILY STATUS: Married for 14 years. One daughter who is 12.

CURRENT TRAINING:
Tennis for 2 hours three days a week. I use a HRM and the Polar Loop. It says that on friday I covered about 7.5 miles. But my problem is that this is sprints followed by breaks, it's not consistent running at all.

I have been swimming twice this week so I wouldn't say it's a plan yet, But I do
Warmup
200 free
200 with arm paddles and a leg float
200 kick
200 free

Following that I do either 1750 free x2 or 3500 free.

Then 2x200 cool down.

I only have the free membership another. I am considering dropping it at least until I can run a 5k. I really need to focus on running and biking. Swimming isn't going to be my main problem. Plus I we have a pool, which is open year round, I just hate doing a million flip turns, but my husband was getting a little grouchy about paying for a swim membership when we have a pool. So I think I might drop it for a bit and work on him.

I started Couch to 5k, but I haven't hit the part yet where I get discouraged and give up. I have been following the schedule for two weeks.

2014 RACES: None

2015 RACES: None scheduled.

WEIGHTLOSS: I have gained about 50 lbs since college. I doubt that 115 lbs. will ever be attainable again. But I do need to lose weight.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: I love sports and being part of a team. I would love to support people. While I am not an expert at swimming for a triathlon, I do have a background in distance swimming and have done a lot of open water swims. So maybe I can help some with that. I just want to see everyone succeed.
2015-01-30 4:45 PM

Subject: RE: Todd's Tri Turtles (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10K) Open
Hello.

I'm most definitely a turtle! Hope you still have a spot open for me.

NAME: Karen Brown

STORY: I'm 43, and have a permanent disability called Charcot-Marie-Tooth disorder (nothing to do with my teeth; Dr Tooth was one of the three physicians who first studied and defined the disease, which is the most common inherited form of Muscular Dystrophy, even though most people have never heard of it) that has caused severe nerve damage and resulting muscle atrophy in my arms/hands and legs/feet. I am bilaterally braced and unable to run more than about six steps. I also have recently learned that I have exercise-induced asthma, and am working to manage that. I'm also fiercely determined not to accept 'disabled' as part of who I am.

FAMILY STATUS: Married, with a son who will be five next week!

CURRENT TRAINING: Taking competitive swimming class 2x/week. Free swim 1x/week. Bike 1x/week. Walk 1x/week. Being very new to regular intense exercise, I am being cautious in building my regimen slowly so that my body will adapt and keep up without injury.

2014 RACES: none

2015 RACES: planned for May 9. Sprint is my goal; supersprint is my fall-back, if I'm not quite ready yet for the longer swim & walk.

WEIGHTLOSS: It's happening as I train. It's not my focus, but between eating 90% clean and now exercising regularly, it's happening.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: I am using this triathlon to raise funds for CMT research, and I already have some backers, so there's no way I can back out of doing this tri - I'm in it, and I'm gonna finish it! And then find my next one. Also, once I can call myself a triathlete, my son will have a very hard time making excuses for himself, and inspiring him to be his best is my greatest drive.

Edited by karmo 2015-01-30 4:47 PM

2015-01-30 4:48 PM
in reply to: karmo

Subject: RE: Todd's Tri Turtles (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10K) Open
p.s. supersprint is 200 yds open water / 4 mi ride / 1 mi walk.
sprint is 800 m / 12 k / 4 k. (I think? maybe 16k/5k?) at the race I'm doing
2015-01-30 4:55 PM

Is it too late to join this group? I am doing a sprint tri at a resort at the end of March; the swim portion is in a "lazy river" at a resort. But, would also like to do an open water sprint later in the season. I am 62 years old and did 1 sprint tri (reverse order) a few years ago.
Thanks.
Pam
2015-01-30 9:14 PM
in reply to: #5078752

User image

Hi all,
Can someone explain why I should buy a front zip tri suit vs. a back zip, or vice versa. What are the pros and cons of each style?
Thanks!
2015-01-30 9:41 PM
in reply to: Gnoory

User image

, Connecticut
Subject: RE: First steps at cycling
Originally posted by Gnoory

Question: So I´ve never cycled before. Ok, I know how to ride a bike, but never used it in training. My plan the next month is to put in two sessions pr. week on the seat to get started. Anyone got a tip on a simple startup program I can use to get going?

I will also need to put the bike in our living room as we have little storage space and no separate garage or gym. My wife does not know this yet. Can I cover it up with some candles or tablecloth to make the transition smoother? Or should I take another approach and tempt her with the prospect of me in a tight cycle shorts to enjoy during commercials between the reruns of The Bachelor? I have a nagging feeling that the last option may have the opposite effect with the current state of affairs. Any tips appreciated here.

HahahahahahahHAHAHAHAH. This is hysterical. Good luck with the candles and tablecloth or the sex appeal of bike shorts. This will make me chuckle for days. Very good, my friend. Very funny. -Colleen
2015-01-31 12:57 AM

User image

FortWayne, Indiana
Thanks Colleen!
I am currently just training for some sprint Tri's , although I would like to do an Olympic Tri, I don't know if I will be ready this year or not.
I really need to work on my swim. I am pretty slow and I am ok with that but I would like to be faster. The distance doesn't really freak me out, I know I can make it, I would just like to only be a few minutes behind rather than hours, LOL

2015-01-31 1:02 AM

User image

FortWayne, Indiana
Thanks Todd for the idea of making it something that my husband may enjoy. So far he has not come to any of the Tri's that I have done. He supports me but he thinks it would be boring for him waiting around to see me and these are just small events. Maybe if I did do one that was somewhere he wanted to go to it would be better. I have only been trying to look for ones that are no more then a few hours away so that I can drive to it.
2015-01-31 9:25 AM
in reply to: #5089048

Hi I'm Donna and I'm 40 years old

STORY: I started running and biking three years ago and love it. My weakness is swimming which I'm being coached on thru this spring.

FAMILY STATUS: Single, no children. I just have a Maltese dog name Jake.

CURRENT TRAINING: I train 6 days a week, consisting of strength training in the morning, running in the evening three times a week, biking twice a week, swimming once a week (which should be bumped up a tad I think)

2014 RACES: 4 half marathons, including the Rock n Roll Las Vegas. 10 mile and 5k races scattered every other week, two duathlons.

2015 RACES: I'm already registered for the Rock n Roll Las Vegas in Nov. This year I'm enrolled in the New England half marathon series. Bumping up my half marathons this year will be good for me. 50 mile bike rides thru the year and also two duathlons.

WEIGHTLOSS: Currently at 130lbs, looking to lose 5 more pounds. Working with a trainer to lower body fat ratio.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: I like to follow advice from experienced racers in the field. I'm a structured person who welcomes a planned out training program.
2015-01-31 1:11 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Suzie,

1 hour a day plus a little extra on long days is more than enough for a sprint. The biggest plus about selecting a pre made training plan here on BT or elsewhere is that you know it is made for a particular distance to get you there safely, plus saves you from being uncertain about what you are doing. For me I have kind of all ways built my own based off of reviewing plans for the distance I'm going to do and then putting it call together. That said mine for all distances look about the same with the exception of time / distance in training. I do 3 workouts of each discipline per week, with 1 being short, 1 medium, and 1 long. Doing it like this I then mix and match based off of my available time and schedule at work / home. If you have to skip or miss a workout they to take away from the one you are strongest in. The other thing here is that something like swimming does not require an hour 3 x's a week. If you are going to be swimming 400 yards in your Sprint, then my tip is just to make sure you can do 800 non-stop. If you can do 800 non-stop in 20 minutes, then do that 2 or 3 times a week and you know you are plenty good to go for the 400 on race day. So then if you do that 20 minute swim and follow it with a medium run of 40 minutes for roughly 3 miles, you have done 2 in one day and used an hour. Moving things around and playing will still allow for at least one rest day. For your long day each week you need to work to where when you are approaching race day you are doing double your race day distance, ESPECIALLY on the bike. If the race is 12 miles you should have done several long rides of 24 leading into race weekend. The thing about the bike is that if you get off feeling super fresh the run is that much less of an obstacle / difficult. By doing this and being super prepared on the bike you also really don't have to do many brick bike / run training days (just do a few to know what / how your legs will react) Here is another good mix day for those few occasions, long bike day followed by short run day (15 minutes or so , 1.5 miles). I hope what I'm trying to say is coming across. The biggest thing of all of this is to first ensure you can safely cover each distance and then increase from their to were you feel very comfortable with each. (also bear in mind that the doubling things refers basically just to sprint distance, I don't bike 140 miles to prepare for a Half Ironman). The other thing here is that people on this forum and others just way over do training, they are thinking of podium places not just finishing feeling happy and healthy. You make find out that you only need 4-7 hours per week to accomplish that. As always if you need more or clarification let me know.
2015-01-31 1:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by jennifersmith847

Way to go Jennifer, you are approaching this with the right attitude and mind set. Great job.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Todd's Tri Turtles 4 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10K) CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 44

RELATED POSTS

Successful Triathlon Training, by Fred D - OPEN

Started by Fred D
Views: 1074 Posts: 2

2015-01-21 6:28 AM juanjaramillo

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.

date : March 6, 2008
author : scubachic9999
comments : 4
Already a cyclist and not a bad swimmer, I figured all I had to do was build up to running a few miles and I’d be ready to go. The challenge invigorated me, and I ran out to buy new running shoes.
date : October 30, 2005
author : acbadger
comments : 0
First, with your upcoming 5K, I strongly advise you to check out the “Couch to 5K” training schedule. This training schedule is a GREAT way to get back into running safely and wisely.

date : September 26, 2004
author : jhealy422
For as long as I can remember, I’ve had weight issues. I remember standing on the scale as a child weighing 60 pounds and feeling fat. My family dealt with stress by eating.
date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
Overview of two walk/run routines for training for a 5K.

comments : 12
This aggressive couch to 5k program will get you running from nothing and will be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.
This couch to 5k program will get your running in seven months and can be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.