Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 97

2015-01-20 4:35 AM
in reply to: BrotherTri

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: SBR "U"
Originally posted by BrotherTri

Question I need to capture only the 5' and 20' TT correct?

That is correct. They are done on separate days, all out, no holding back on either.

2015-01-20 6:17 AM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

5 min power test this morning.  362w, which is +25w from my last one!  I guess all that VO2max work is paying off.  

James, this is using the test protocol of the 5 and 20 min tests on different days.  Thursday will be the 20 min one for me.

2015-01-20 6:37 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
In the past I've mainly based bike training either on a plan (the beginner HIM, for example) or Jorge's workouts on this site. Before I got the trainer, I was doing all of my shorter weekday riding on a stationary at the gym which, though not ideal, did have a position similar to a road bike in aero, and a watt meter, so I did the tests and trained using power, which I really, really like. A power meter though would be a huge investment for me and isn't available here at any rate. Since getting the trainer, I've done most my rides on it with HR and RPE, sometims still use the stationary for very structured workouts if I have other things to do at the gym or errands nearby. My HRM became nonfunctional early this fall and I can't get it fixed/ replaced until I go home for a week in February. So at this point down to RPE. Would love to hear advice as to--

*How to figure/approximate power cheaply on a tri bike on a trainer (Cyclops Fluid). I recall that when I first got my trainer, I tried to set up a speed sensor (for a Cateye Wireless) on the back wheel, but it wouldn't transmit reliably to the display. Does one need to use a wired computer? Would the cable be long enough? or is there a brand of wireless that reliably works for this? I know one can then approximate power with various software, websites, etc. Would like to avoid purchasing any complicated electronics. (Though if anyine wants to offload a Computrainer......)

*Jorge's workouts vs. those in 12 wk. Oly to HIM plan vs. something else. Both the former seem pretty solid; the HIM plan has some specific big-gear work which I think might be useful for me in building strength. What I don't like is that it includes a lot of hill work, which is hard to accurately simulate with a trainer. Jorge's workouts are well-structured and I've seen good, just not consistent, results from them in the past. (Last year I dropped 7 minutes from the year before on a 62 km course, then proceeded to do roughly the same pace for my next two Olys, about 3 minutes over my PB. Sigh.) I do worry about fitting workouts from a bike-only plan into my total training load. I honestly think I trained myself to death last spring, doing a combo of three stand-alone type programs for swim, bike, and run. The result was, as someone said, I got very fit but didn't race well. I'm starting with a good base this year and don't want to make the same mistakes.

As for today, hour run this AM and 3K swim workout PM. I felt really good for once and was hitting 1:38/100m for a 1200m main set and 600m pull set with minimal rest. Swimming is very inconsistent for me and always has been. I'm (literally) allergic to the pool (it's an asthma trigger if poorly ventilated) so some days just keeping a steady breathing pattern is hard and I really struggle through workouts. Other days are awesome and I just power along. No way to predict. Thank goodness today was one of the latter. Fortunately I have no such issues in OWS-it's one reason I enjoy the swim so much in races!

Edited by Hot Runner 2015-01-20 6:41 AM
2015-01-20 7:40 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

You can do virtual power using the Cycleops Fluid2 although it has some temperature drift issues that you would have to be careful with.  You would need an ANT+ speed sensor like the GSC-10, an ANT+ USB stick and software like Trainerroad, Goldencheetah, etc.

Jorge's plan is good but I think it's a bit lacking in duration for some of the workouts.  If memory serves me, a lot of the workouts were in the 40-50 minute range and just needed a bit more oomph.  The plan in Shane and Marc's mentor group last year is better IMO.  I admit that it's possible I am biased since Shane is my coach and I've had great results with him.    I can only see the first two weeks of the Oly to HIM bridge plan here but it looks to me like there is too much "just spin easy" going on.  In my opinion, at this point all of  your bike workouts should be hard.  

2015-01-20 7:50 AM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Elite
Ontario

Originally posted by axteraa

5 min power test this morning.  362w, which is +25w from my last one!  I guess all that VO2max work is paying off.  

James, this is using the test protocol of the 5 and 20 min tests on different days.  Thursday will be the 20 min one for me.

Wow Arend, that's a big number to begin with - but a 25w gain is serious, especially since you're not new at this...

2015-01-20 7:53 AM
in reply to: BrotherTri

User image

Elite
Ontario

Originally posted by BrotherTri Man I must be training the brain cells dead in my head. I will be adding peoples in this thread in my friends list as soon as I can figure it out Also if you have a facebook page I would like to add you there as well... My training today is a ez run by a swim. What does everybody else have going on today?

Easy run on lunch, and pretty easy ride on the trainer tonight.  It's about building back some consistency for me at the moment. although after a decent threshold effort on Sunday coach has said the numbers are coming back pretty quickly, so I can expect things to ramp up and get a lot harder over the next couple of weeks.  Wrench in the plan is 4 days of travel, with the only option being treadmill runs.

2015-01-20 7:57 AM

Master
Northern IL

Jorge's plan is good but I think it's a bit lacking in duration for some of the workouts.  If memory serves me, a lot of the workouts were in the 40-50 minute range and just needed a bit more oomph.  The plan in Shane and Marc's mentor group last year is better IMO.  I admit that it's possible I am biased since Shane is my coach and I've had great results with him.    I can only see the first two weeks of the Oly to HIM bridge plan here but it looks to me like there is too much "just spin easy" going on.  In my opinion, at this point all of  your bike workouts should be hard.  

Just might be a little fear of what may happen if Shane's work doesn't come first?

I looked at Jorge's plan a couple years ago when it all could be seen. Looked like it would be good for a lot of people on the site as it would give them some well structured hard work for people getting into this. For me it would have been rather lacking, and I suspect it would be for a number of others in this group as well. Has this changed since then?

Building strength on the bike tends to be more learning (or re-learning) about going hard. Similar with hills work. I've been fine on hills after working well on the trainer over the winter.

2015-01-20 8:07 AM
in reply to: brigby1

Master
Northern IL

Back at the 5k I did on Thanksgiving, the winner ran a full 4 minutes faster than I did, and I was just under 19 minutes. Found out that over the weekend he ran a 1:03:28 at the USATF Half Marathon Championships. 4:50/mi, just a few seconds per mile slower than what he did in the 5k. The B standard for the Marathon Trials is 1:05. Or about a 20 pt VDOT gap.

2015-01-20 8:25 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

You can do virtual power using the Cycleops Fluid2 although it has some temperature drift issues that you would have to be careful with.  You would need an ANT+ speed sensor like the GSC-10, an ANT+ USB stick and software like Trainerroad, Goldencheetah, etc.

Both plans are really good. The only slight advantage of the one we did in the mentor group is you can soon adjust based on your strength.

When is your HIM ?
2015-01-20 8:43 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by brigby1

Back at the 5k I did on Thanksgiving, the winner ran a full 4 minutes faster than I did, and I was just under 19 minutes. Found out that over the weekend he ran a 1:03:28 at the USATF Half Marathon Championships. 4:50/mi, just a few seconds per mile slower than what he did in the 5k. The B standard for the Marathon Trials is 1:05. Or about a 20 pt VDOT gap.

Gives you something to shoot for.  

2015-01-20 8:47 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by marcag

Both plans are really good. The only slight advantage of the one we did in the mentor group is you can soon adjust based on your strength. When is your HIM ?

Vietnam 70.3 is May 10th so about 15 weeks.

2015-01-20 8:49 AM
in reply to: GoFaster

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by GoFaster

Wow Arend, that's a big number to begin with - but a 25w gain is serious, especially since you're not new at this...

Ditto on the 

Nicely done!  Hard work = results.

Wish I could have channeled some of that this morning on the trainer (but I had a good set of intervals for me, given the last 4-5 months), so I'm happy enough. 

Matt

2015-01-20 8:50 AM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

BT needs a "slack-jawed" emoticon.  Yikes!

Matt

2015-01-20 8:56 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Both plans are really good. The only slight advantage of the one we did in the mentor group is you can soon adjust based on your strength. When is your HIM ?

Vietnam 70.3 is May 10th so about 15 weeks.

pros and cons

Jorge's plan is a little lighter so I do believe it can be done with some good running and swimming
The mentor plan could leave you wiped out

Jorge's plan can be done with a HR
Both can be done with, and it's better to do, with power. Jorge's plan starts off very VO2ish, which are better done on the trainer, but then leads into a lot of threshold that can be done outdoor with a HRM.

I would set up Virtual power, test (required for both programs), identify strength and weakness and go from there.

Both plans have an opportunity to slide in some long runs needed for a HIM prep
2015-01-20 9:01 AM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

BT needs a "slack-jawed" emoticon.  Yikes!

Matt

Yeah, I see the numbers, saw one of them happen, but still trying to process it.

2015-01-20 9:21 AM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Ditto on the 

Wish I could have channeled some of that this morning on the trainer (but I had a good set of intervals for me, given the last 4-5 months), so I'm happy enough. 

Matt

It has been a full 12 months since I last tested.  I also think I could have done better on the test - my AP for the last minute was 407w so not evenly paced at all.

and Marc, GC says I hit 149% W' depletion - I probably need to adjust things a bit...  

2015-01-20 9:25 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Ditto on the 

Matt

It has been a full 12 months since I last tested.  I also think I could have done better on the test - my AP for the last minute was 407w so not evenly paced at all.

and Marc, GC says I hit 149% W' depletion - I probably need to adjust things a bit...  

Did you ever run the PT and P2M side by side ? This is one thing that drives me nuts changing power meters.
2015-01-20 9:28 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Ditto on the 

Matt

Did you ever run the PT and P2M side by side ? This is one thing that drives me nuts changing power meters.

I did quickly at the beginning and got basically the same numbers (within a few watts) but not with a structured workout with intervals, it was just a ride outside.  I still have one of the PTs, I should try that to see what I get.

I just loaded up GC on my computer at work and it only says 117% on W'.  Perhaps I misread the other this morning at home.

2015-01-20 9:28 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
James,

for you....look in TT ... I pointed to a link for a free ebook on training with power at Trainingpeaks

http://home.trainingpeaks.com/blog/article/how-to-start-training-wi...
2015-01-20 10:30 AM

User image

Pro

Aerocamp is back: https://a3hdcamps.wordpress.com/aerocamp-3-0/

This one honestly one of the most fun and educational experiences I've ever had on a bicycle.

LA Velodrome Feb 28 - March 1, coaches Heath Dotson and Brian Stover (who answered my questions long after camp ended - even helped me track down the best parts for my bike), data by Alphamantis, option for a bike fit by Jim Manton, and a chance to try out your gear - and other gear, even gear not on the market yet - and find your most aero set-up.

I'm not affiliated, just a happy customer. 

Just figured I'd pass the info along.

2015-01-20 11:21 AM

User image

Nice work. Any idea what you're going to shot for on the 20' test?

2015-01-20 11:24 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Seattle

Completed my first real trail race over the weekend! Race Report

What an adventure!!!

Edited by Asalzwed 2015-01-20 11:25 AM
2015-01-20 11:24 AM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

So strava is now offering premium members access to some basic cycling plans generated by Carmichael Training Systems. They are just 4 week block plans but going to give them a try just to give myself some general structure on hard and easy days. Nothing ground breaking...but just trying to keep myself accountable for going easy and hard appropriately.
2015-01-20 11:31 AM
in reply to: ratherbeswimming

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by ratherbeswimming

Aerocamp is back: https://a3hdcamps.wordpress.com/aerocamp-3-0/

This one honestly one of the most fun and educational experiences I've ever had on a bicycle.

LA Velodrome Feb 28 - March 1, coaches Heath Dotson and Brian Stover (who answered my questions long after camp ended - even helped me track down the best parts for my bike), data by Alphamantis, option for a bike fit by Jim Manton, and a chance to try out your gear - and other gear, even gear not on the market yet - and find your most aero set-up.

I'm not affiliated, just a happy customer. 

Just figured I'd pass the info along.

I'm in the area two weeks too early!  I am getting fit by Jim while I'm there though.  

2015-01-20 11:32 AM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by Jason N

Nice work. Any idea what you're going to shot for on the 20' test?

Not really, I can't imagine being able to back that up with a comparable improvement on the longer test since I haven't done a ton of threshold work lately.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR "U" Rss Feed  

of 97

RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 15, 2013
author : writingrunner
comments : 1
The science behind the reasons that triathlons make us feel so good.

date : January 9, 2013
author : MultisportWorld
comments : 0
Jarrod Shoemaker, 2012 US Elite National Champion, discusses the importance of recovery for injury prevention.
date : December 12, 2004
author : Team BT
Ultraman champion, Shanna Armstrong, to ride across USA for science.

date : August 31, 2004
author : Ron
Everything you want to know (and then some).