of 97

2015-03-09 3:18 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Subject: RE: SBR "U"

Originally posted by marcag
Originally posted by Jason N

Originally posted by GoFaster

The mental anguish you've put yourself through is a great reason for me to never compare two PM's side by side should I ever move away from the PT!!

3 x 15' struggling at 95-98% yesterday was all the anguish I need from my PM.

The only thing that causes more mental anguish than comparing two PMs...having your primary PM read just low enough where it looks okay...but you can't hit any of your normal workout goals.  Believe me...that causes way more frustration in the sense that you often want to quit your workouts not even half way through.

Don't assume your PT is right. The auto zero on a PT is not perfect either. So you can have a discrepancy, auto zero, it goes away, auto zero, it comes back......Having been just checked by Q I would trust it more than the PT.

I thought about that too while doing these tests.  Wondering how accurate the PT itself is.  The Quarq numbers do look solid as far as relation to RPE and my power curve though.  With that once exception Saturday where I supposedly put down 330w for 10 minutes.  But that was understandable given it was the first ride and the offset numbers changed about 100 points while settling in...and back pedaling quickly fixed it.

2015-03-10 5:48 AM
in reply to: GoFaster

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
NOOOO! 3 X 15 min.at those % is tomorrow's workout. Although, having no power, real, virtual, or physical, I don't have to worry about technical subtleties, just try not to puke/fall off the trainer. And then "recovery" will consist of riding herd on fifth graders until approximately midnight (school field trip to national park for 3 days).
2015-03-11 11:42 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Seattle

Chris, are you ready for your marathon?

How is your taper going? What kind of a mileage cut-down are you doing? 

It took me a couple days to recover from my half marathon so I think I'm going to postpone my return to quality workouts just a little bit. I believe it's a good decision but it's difficult considering the biggest takeaway from my race was that I need these quality workouts. lol

2015-03-11 2:17 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Originally posted by Asalzwed

It took me a couple days to recover from my half marathon so I think I'm going to postpone my return to quality workouts just a little bit. I believe it's a good decision but it's difficult considering the biggest takeaway from my race was that I need these quality workouts. lol

This week has been rocky.  (Just like the week before the last one).  Sunday night came down with an ear infection (swam two time without ear plugs, and that always happens at that pool, i know better).  Doesn't affect running per se, but the discomfort and pain sorta takes it out of me, and haven't felt up to doing any running.   Today is the first day I feel better.   Likely will do a 30-35 minute run today, and 20-25 in the next couple days. 

Big concern is the heat.  Should be OK in the am, but last two hours are going to be high 80s and no shade.  Current plan is to take it VERY easy in the first 2 hours or so when its hi 60s lo 70s, so I have something left.  I also bought a goofy sun running hat with a neck protector    Between that and the de soto top I'm going to look quite silly but hopefully feel cool...  sorta

2015-03-11 2:48 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by ChrisM
 I also bought a goofy sun running hat with a neck protector  

A la Ben Hoffman ?
2015-03-11 2:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I am going to do a crank transplant on my Quarq. I will be putting 165 arms on my current 172.5 Q.

I am sold on the shorter crank length.

2015-03-11 3:07 PM

User image

Originally posted by marcag I am going to do a crank transplant on my Quarq. I will be putting 165 arms on my current 172.5 Q. I am sold on the shorter crank length.

What were the key deciding factors?

2015-03-11 3:13 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Extreme Veteran

Originally posted by marcag I am going to do a crank transplant on my Quarq. I will be putting 165 arms on my current 172.5 Q. I am sold on the shorter crank length.

It definitely opens up my hip angle. I am losing less power in aero than before. It took a while to get used to it but now when I go back to 172 it is definitely nor comfortable.
2015-03-11 3:31 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by ChrisM

This week has been rocky.  (Just like the week before the last one).  Sunday night came down with an ear infection (swam two time without ear plugs, and that always happens at that pool, i know better).  Doesn't affect running per se, but the discomfort and pain sorta takes it out of me, and haven't felt up to doing any running.   Today is the first day I feel better.   Likely will do a 30-35 minute run today, and 20-25 in the next couple days. 

Big concern is the heat.  Should be OK in the am, but last two hours are going to be high 80s and no shade.  Current plan is to take it VERY easy in the first 2 hours or so when its hi 60s lo 70s, so I have something left.  I also bought a goofy sun running hat with a neck protector    Between that and the de soto top I'm going to look quite silly but hopefully feel cool...  sorta

At least the outfit is nailed down. That is the most important part. Just throw on some Lululemon shorts and you'll be set.

During the 10K National Championship (on the track) it was 90 air temp. Maybe closer to 95-100 because of the heat radiating off of the track. We put bags of ice with holes (to drain) in our hats. Every 200 m someone gave us cold sponges to squeeze over our head.  That was the ONE advantage of running distance on a track lol.

You probably can't employ any of those tactics. They may have ice or something at the later aid stations and if they do, putting it in your gorgeous sun hat might not be a bad idea. I think your plan sounds good. I'd focus on coming in really well hydrated. Starting today, really.  

As far as the ear stuff...I hear ya on the pain taking it out of you. It's always important to take ALL stresses into consideration with training. 

Anyway, best of luck to you and have fun! 

Edited by Asalzwed 2015-03-11 3:31 PM
2015-03-11 5:41 PM

User image

Elite
Ontario

Originally posted by ChrisM  I also bought a goofy sun running hat with a neck protector  
A la Ben Hoffman ?

Was thinking the same thing.

2015-03-11 6:17 PM

User image

It definitely opens up my hip angle. I am losing less power in aero than before. It took a while to get used to it but now when I go back to 172 it is definitely nor comfortable.

So would this only be for the tri bike?  Do you think you would see any benefit, or possibly downsides to going to 165 for a road bike as well?  

2015-03-11 6:42 PM
in reply to: GoFaster

User image

Originally posted by GoFaster

Originally posted by ChrisM  I also bought a goofy sun running hat with a neck protector  
A la Ben Hoffman ?

Was thinking the same thing.

I think so, I can't see his hat from behind.   I tried getting a similar zoot hat but could not get it in time.

In addition to that, I will be bringing two insulated bottles, the de soto long sleeve cooling top, and one of them fancy cooling towels.  All barrels loaded.

2015-03-11 6:54 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

So would this only be for the tri bike?  Do you think you would see any benefit, or possibly downsides to going to 165 for a road bike as well?  

I am not sure it would be worth it on the road bike. Actually I may put the 172.5s on my road bike

2015-03-11 9:10 PM

User image

Interesting.  That's one of my fears.  Since I would only be using one crank for both road and tri, I'm not sure I want to go shorter for road.  

2015-03-12 2:43 AM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

At least the outfit is nailed down. That is the most important part. Just throw on some Lululemon shorts and you'll be set.

Anyway, best of luck to you and have fun! 

Excellent advice above in bold!  

Good luck with the race Chris, I hope the temps come down a bit for you.

2015-03-12 2:49 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

I am not sure it would be worth it on the road bike. Actually I may put the 172.5s on my road bike

What's on your road bike now?  Having tried the 165s I can certainly see how they would be better for some people.  Did you like them as soon as you tried them?

2015-03-12 6:32 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by axteraa

What's on your road bike now?  Having tried the 165s I can certainly see how they would be better for some people.  Did you like them as soon as you tried them?

I currently have the 172.5 Quarq on the road bike

The only reason I may leave 172.5s on the road bike is because I have them. I could go to 165mm on the road bike but since I have the 172.5 I may as well use them.

Originally I was going to do 172.5 Quarq on the road and 165 with Vectors on the tri. But I want my Quarq on the tri bike so I will swap the arms out to 165 and put them on my tri bike. I would put the old 172.5 arms on the road bike with the Vectors.

At first I noticed a slight difference, but nothing major. Then I got used to the 165 and when I tried 172.5 I really disliked it in aero position.

I do have a tendency to "mash" less than others, maybe that's why I like 165s.

Edited by marcag 2015-03-12 6:32 AM
2015-03-12 2:12 PM

User image

So I'm pretty confident with my Quarq now.  For sustained efforts, it's pretty much spot on with my PT, and if anything a couple of watts higher.  Which you would expect considering where the power is being measured.

The interesting thing though is that the Quarq reads anywhere from 3-6% low during times where I am doing a lot of coasting...such as when I'm riding in an area with more stop lights.  I suppose it could simply be how each PM handles 0 watt readings...maybe the Quarq recognizes 0 watts a few seconds faster than the PT...or the PT recognizes going from zero to X watts a few seconds faster.  

So during an overall ride, the sustained efforts are similar, the overall AP for the Quarq is slightly lower, but the NP is the same.  Works for me.

2015-03-12 4:34 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

So I'm pretty confident with my Quarq now.  For sustained efforts, it's pretty much spot on with my PT, and if anything a couple of watts higher.  Which you would expect considering where the power is being measured.

The interesting thing though is that the Quarq reads anywhere from 3-6% low during times where I am doing a lot of coasting...such as when I'm riding in an area with more stop lights.  I suppose it could simply be how each PM handles 0 watt readings...maybe the Quarq recognizes 0 watts a few seconds faster than the PT...or the PT recognizes going from zero to X watts a few seconds faster.  

So during an overall ride, the sustained efforts are similar, the overall AP for the Quarq is slightly lower, but the NP is the same.  Works for me.

funny. I noticed something last year and never got to the bottom of it

one PM, two head units (800 and 910). The 910 would show a AP about 4 watts lower than the 800.

it seemed related to stopping and auto-pausing. NP woud be within a watt, but time at zero watts, (which is propbably where you should be looking) was greater on the 910.

In this case it wasn't a difference in PMs since it was one PM. It may have been smart recording on one unit and not on the other. If winter ever ends, I'll figure it out.

Edited by marcag 2015-03-12 4:35 PM
2015-03-12 5:05 PM

User image

funny. I noticed something last year and never got to the bottom of it one PM, two head units (800 and 910). The 910 would show a AP about 4 watts lower than the 800. it seemed related to stopping and auto-pausing. NP woud be within a watt, but time at zero watts, (which is propbably where you should be looking) was greater on the 910. In this case it wasn't a difference in PMs since it was one PM. It may have been smart recording on one unit and not on the other. If winter ever ends, I'll figure it out.

For me my 910 was reading my PT, and my 510 was reading my quarq.  So it was the 910 reading higher during times with a lot of coasting.  Both were set to 1 second recording...that was one of the first things I checked.  I also made sure that auto pause was set to the same minimum speed, and that they were both reading the same speed cadence sensor so that they should (and seemed like they did) auto pause and start at the same time.

2015-03-12 6:09 PM

User image

This is just more a bit of a vent about the marathon... 

Honestly, I am a bit freaked out by the heat, and am seriously considering a DNS.  The problem is you have to take a boat to the race start, and run back, so once you're on the course you're on the course.  It is on fire roads but I don't know what kind of road support there will be.  There is very little shade, if any, and aid stations are spaced anywhere from 1.5 to 3 miles apart or so (there's 13 of them), rather than every mile.  Plus only a few will have ice if the last one is any indication.  Hourly forecast isn't that much worse than the Eco marathon, except the last 2 hours are mid 80s, which have that stupid "real feel" temp at 92.

So I am a little obsessive about it, and constantly checking.  I would use the same heat gear I used at Silverman, which worked, but there we had consistent ice at aid stations every mile.  I just don't know why I am being overly sensitive about it (the high heat warnings everywhere aren't helping

Will still go over to the island, but not sure any of the forecasts are going to change, and not sure when I'd make the decision.  If they had a couple more late aid stations and some more ice, I'd feel better about it....I have not traditionally done well in heat, but last few races I've done - NOLA 70.3, Miami 70.3, Silverman 70.3 and Eco have all been very hot, and I survived those (most with more consistent support)

I know LA has brought out a lot of provisions to deal with the heat (which will be worse than ours, but aid stations with ice every mile) I've posted to the race FB page, but they're fairly non-responsive.

I'd hate to DNS my SECOND race this year already, but I'd be OK with it I guess, I got the benefit of the run training.  

2015-03-12 7:04 PM

User image

Are your concerns about not being able to finish, honest issues about putting your health in danger, or just not being able to put in the type of pace/effort/intensity as you would have hoped?

I'm having a hard time not to just tell you to suck it up buttercup...but I really have no idea how hot it is there or how hard this course is.  

2015-03-12 7:17 PM

User image

Are your concerns about not being able to finish, honest issues about putting your health in danger, or just not being able to put in the type of pace/effort/intensity as you would have hoped?

I'm having a hard time not to just tell you to suck it up buttercup...but I really have no idea how hot it is there or how hard this course is.  

I am in shape to finish, don't care about the time.

I just don't know if my concern is based in reality or fear.  Probably mostly fear as I've done hot races.  But again, I don't mind a scorcher that much when I know for a fact there's ice 10 minutes down the road.  When I know there's warm water sitting out in the sun 25 minutes down the road?   that's a bit different.

My problem is I am a worrier, and sometimes I am right.  But I cannot tell the difference between the two   

ETA - these don't help

...RECORD BREAKING HEAT EXPECTED THIS WEEKEND...

UNSEASONABLY HOT WEATHER WILL DEVELOP THIS WEEKEND AS A STRONG
UPPER-LEVEL RIDGE OF HIGH PRESSURE BUILDS OVER THE AREA AND
OFFSHORE FLOW DEVELOPS AT THE SURFACE LATE THIS WEEK.
TEMPERATURES WILL BE WELL ABOVE SEASONAL NORMS BY FRIDAY...WITH
SEVERAL RECORD HIGHS POSSIBLE. BY THE WEEKEND...WIDESPREAD RECORD
BREAKING HEAT IS FORECAST AS THE CENTER OF THE UPPER-LEVEL HIGH
PRESSURE SYSTEM MOVES OVER THE REGION. DAYTIME HIGH TEMPERATURES
ON SATURDAY AND SUNDAY WILL RANGE FROM THE MID 80S TO LOWER 90S
FOR MANY COASTAL...VALLEY...AND FOOTHILL AREAS. SEVERAL DEGREES OF
COOLING ARE EXPECTED FOR MONDAY...HOWEVER DAYTIME HIGHS WILL
LIKELY REMAIN WELL ABOVE NORMAL INTO EARLY NEXT WEEK.

RESIDENTS OF SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA AND PEOPLE PLANNING TO TRAVEL TO
SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA LATE THIS WEEK AND THIS WEEKEND ARE ADVISED TO
MONITOR THE LATEST FORECASTS. KNOW THE SIGN OF HEAT STRESS. IF
PLANNING OUTDOOR ACTIVITIES THIS WEEKEND...IT IS ADVISED TO
SCHEDULE THESE ACTIVITIES DURING THE COOLER PARTS OF THE DAY SUCH
AS THE MORNING OR EVENING HOURS. IF ACTIVITIES CANNOT BE
RESCHEDULED...AVOID DIRECT SUNLIGHT AND SEEK SHADED AREAS IF
POSSIBLE. PERSONS PERFORMING STRENUOUS OUTDOOR ACTIVITIES...SUCH
AS RUNNING...CYCLING...OR HEAVY GARDENING...SHOULD WEAR
LIGHTWEIGHT AND LIGHT-COLORED CLOTHING AND STAY HYDRATED BY DRINKING
PLENTY OF NON-ALCOHOLIC FLUIDS SUCH AS WATER.
NEVER...EVER...LEAVE CHILDREN...PETS...OR THE ELDERLY ALONE IN THE
CAR. REMEMBER TO LOOK BEFORE YOU LOCK. BEAT THE HEAT AND CHECK THE
BACKSEAT.

Edited by ChrisM 2015-03-12 7:20 PM
2015-03-12 9:40 PM

User image

Ok...I suppose I would be a little worried too.  

I guess just keep suggesting the RD provide more ice.  This isn't just a random suggestion...these are record temps...the RD should be making adjustments to their planning to account for this.  A few hundred pounds of ice is a lot better than people passing out on the course.

That said, so long as you are in control, I would think this is an opportunity to do something epic.  Don't pass up on it unless there is a serious threat to your health.

Easy for me to say...LOL.

2015-03-13 7:16 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Ok...I suppose I would be a little worried too.  

I guess just keep suggesting the RD provide more ice.  This isn't just a random suggestion...these are record temps...the RD should be making adjustments to their planning to account for this.  A few hundred pounds of ice is a lot better than people passing out on the course.

That said, so long as you are in control, I would think this is an opportunity to do something epic.  Don't pass up on it unless there is a serious threat to your health.

Easy for me to say...LOL.

tough call.

on one hand if the finishing time is not important, you know a walk will be safe although long.

When we did silverman, I had made the decision that I would bail if I walked before the mid point. Walking 1/2 of a 1/2 was the limit of my patience. Walking 13 miles or more, due to extreme heat is probably way beyond my tolerance. At one point this stops being fun.

How early in the morning do you start ?
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR "U" Rss Feed  

of 97

RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 15, 2013
author : writingrunner
comments : 1
The science behind the reasons that triathlons make us feel so good.

date : January 9, 2013
author : MultisportWorld
comments : 0
Jarrod Shoemaker, 2012 US Elite National Champion, discusses the importance of recovery for injury prevention.
date : December 12, 2004
author : Team BT
Ultraman champion, Shanna Armstrong, to ride across USA for science.

date : August 31, 2004
author : Ron
Everything you want to know (and then some).