Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 97

2015-04-09 9:10 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
Subject: RE: SBR "U"

Historically I have always liked a good bike warm up (also a great way to do a little course recon for the ride out of T1 and back in to T2, but it seems like more and more tris are not allowing bikes out of transition, even smaller local ones around here. I don't think I was able to do a warm up ride in a single race last season. So I have been doing a walking/stretching/running/strides warmup routine that takes about 35 minutes - it is the same thing I do before every run anyway. I too like to get a swim warm up in as well, usually, just like at the beginning of masters - 400~500 yards. I start with getting landmarks on the course, sighting lines, and route to the swim out, followed up with some hard-ish but short efforts, sort of like doing strides during a run warm up. So yeah, even for a sprint or olympic distance race I like to get about 45 minutes of warm up time in.

The day before a race is critical - if I take the day off I have found that I will feel fairly flat on race day. Instead I usually do something like 30~45 minutes EASY on the bike with a few pickups thrown in (1~2 minutes at race power) here and there. Follow that up with a run-off of about 15 minutes, again, super easy with a handful of pickups near the end.

My tapers are fairly short and maintain intensity, just cut down on duration a bit.

2015-04-09 9:37 AM
in reply to: TankBoy

User image

I'm glad I asked! I used to take the approach that the less I do before the actual race the more energy I'll have. I always loosen up with active stretches / movements but before next weekend's race I'll try get some time in the water before game-time. I also just found out that my wetsuit rental is on its way so I'll have a few days to practice getting it on/off before the race. I'm not sure if anyone writes race reports but in case anyone's interested I'll let you know how it goes! Thanks again for all the feedback/support
2015-04-09 9:39 AM
in reply to: TXTriRook

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by TXTriRook I'm glad I asked! I used to take the approach that the less I do before the actual race the more energy I'll have. I always loosen up with active stretches / movements but before next weekend's race I'll try get some time in the water before game-time. I also just found out that my wetsuit rental is on its way so I'll have a few days to practice getting it on/off before the race. I'm not sure if anyone writes race reports but in case anyone's interested I'll let you know how it goes! Thanks again for all the feedback/support

We love race reports!  

2015-04-09 3:31 PM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

Originally posted by axteraa

Originally posted by TXTriRook I'm glad I asked! I used to take the approach that the less I do before the actual race the more energy I'll have. I always loosen up with active stretches / movements but before next weekend's race I'll try get some time in the water before game-time. I also just found out that my wetsuit rental is on its way so I'll have a few days to practice getting it on/off before the race. I'm not sure if anyone writes race reports but in case anyone's interested I'll let you know how it goes! Thanks again for all the feedback/support

We love race reports!  

And the more detail the better!

2015-04-09 3:36 PM

User image

Seattle

Yeah...it does seem intuitive, doesn't it?

But then again, any professional at any sport I have every seen ALWAYS has some sort of routine to warm up. I'm not sure if anyone mentioned this but I would also recommend practicing your warm-up routine before your more challenging workouts. That way, you can get an idea of what feels good and what helps. Then it just becomes part of what you do and you don't actually have to think about it on race day.  

I did a lot of races without warming up for the same reason you stated but now I am a 100% believer. Even for the marathon. But, the shorter the race, the more important. 

2015-04-09 4:22 PM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by TankBoy

We love race reports!  

And the more detail the better!

And pictures!

2015-04-09 4:32 PM

User image

Pictures?? Man you guys ask for a lot . I'm assuming everyone posts in the "Race Reports" section?
2015-04-09 4:59 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by TXTriRook

Pictures?? Man you guys ask for a lot . I'm assuming everyone posts in the "Race Reports" section?

Just no selfies on the bike...on the swim., that's ok

2015-04-09 5:07 PM

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by TXTriRook Pictures?? Man you guys ask for a lot . I'm assuming everyone posts in the "Race Reports" section?

Most important is the pre and post race beer description. ABV and IBU are not required but they are nice. 

2015-04-09 5:24 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Asalzwed

Originally posted by TXTriRook Pictures?? Man you guys ask for a lot . I'm assuming everyone posts in the "Race Reports" section?

Most important is the pre and post race beer description. ABV and IBU are not required but they are nice. 

Good news for us, bad news for the mice that were in this study

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25780086

moderate alcohol consumption does not impair muscle growth !!
2015-04-09 5:43 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by marcag

Good news for us, bad news for the mice that were in this study http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25780086moderate alcohol consumption does not impair muscle growth !!

I'll be sure to pour one out for em!

Yeah, just like most Americans, I tend to disregard any science that backs up anything that proves otherwise. So, I will happily read and promote this! 

2015-04-09 6:31 PM
in reply to: kcarroll

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

Originally posted by kcarroll

Karen, as I was half way through reading your post my thought was "I bet it's a Cycleops Fluid trainer".  I've read several people say they have a very sudden and noticeable shift in resistance with that unit.  My wife uses one and while she doesn't get the sudden change, there is a clear change in resistance as it heats up - it's very visible in a speed vs. power graph.

I had the same thought. I use a Fluid2. The increase in resistance is sudden and typically happens 20-30 mins into a workout (assuming a 10 min easy warm up).  I don't have a PM but the impact is ~ 5 to 7 watts via virtual power using golden cheetah or TR. Fwiw my FTP is 149 using virtual power so ~ 5%.  I don't do anything to correct for it. I just know it's going to happen and realize that I may not be able to hold targets @ 100% once it happens although it probably skews my 20 min tests somewhat. 

Hey Kim! great to see you are still knocking around!!!!

2015-04-09 6:42 PM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

Good news for us, bad news for the mice that were in this study http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25780086moderate alcohol consumption does not impair muscle growth !!

Yeah, just like most Americans, I tend to disregard any science that backs up anything that proves otherwise. So, I will happily read and promote this! 

ChrisM and I wholeheartedly approve this message!

Cheers!

Note for Justin - just as an example, the above image was lifted from my 2014 AG Nationals report, in which 36% of the images were dedicated to food and/or drink. That seems to be an appropriate ratio, I think. Although Adrienne CAN get a little crazy at times.... Oh, and no comment on my salad and whatever the eff THAT is Chris is eating.... some weird Canadian thing, I'll bet.

2015-04-09 8:55 PM
in reply to: kcarroll

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Thinking about it during my workout this morning---I think it's a gear issue. Having to gear down four really sounds like I wasn't quite in my big ring earlier in the workout, upped the resistance to compensate (instead of shifting properly), and then all of a sudden, somewhere late in the workout, I was in my toughest gear plus with the resistance knob turned up! Not sure if I'm shifting incorrectly or the gears had slipped. I did a threshold workout today, made sure I was in my big ring for the hard stuff, and nothing like this happened. Slight increase in RPE/decrease in cadence toward the end due to cumulative fatigue was all.

I think it's related to starting these things at 5 AM, when I'm really sleepy and might not notice I'm not quite in gear (plus watching a video and listening to music so maybe I don't notice the bike sounds odd) and my habit of switching into the small ring for recovery while not changing the gear on the right. I noticed that when I do that the shift is a bit clunky. I do recall that the bike felt a bit odd earlier in the workout--it probably was clunking around as not really in gear.
2015-04-10 8:52 AM

User image

Cheers!

Note for Justin - just as an example, the above image was lifted from my 2014 AG Nationals report, in which 36% of the images were dedicated to food and/or drink. That seems to be an appropriate ratio, I think. Although Adrienne CAN get a little crazy at times.... Oh, and no comment on my salad and whatever the eff THAT is Chris is eating.... some weird Canadian thing, I'll bet.

I grew up in Canada and support it in any way I can but I have to admit, I don't have a clue what's on his plate either!
2015-04-10 12:43 PM

User image

Seattle

Cheers!

Ahhhhhh awesome! 

And yeah, what the eff is on your plate? You too Chris

2015-04-10 2:48 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

What about muffin tops?

2015-04-11 1:57 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Poutine? Shepherd's pie? If it has mashed potatoes on the bottom it can't be all bad, but I don't know about the stuff on top!
2015-04-11 3:04 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

Originally posted by Jason N

What about muffin tops?

or a busted can of biscuits?

2015-04-11 3:09 PM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

Cheers!

Ahhhhhh awesome! 

And yeah, what the eff is on your plate? You too Chris

Ha-ha - Ok, in the spirit of full disclosure (and because Chris has not chimed in to defend himself), that is actually my wife's salad and I slipped MY plate over in front of Chris just before JT snapped that picture. For the record, Chris actually eats like a junior high cheerleader. And I really don't remember what the heck that was I was eating, but I DO remember that it sure was good after racing that morning.

2015-04-11 3:25 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

Hoo - had a hard metric century this morning, even sitting in for the most part. Rode out with the 'A' group and pretty much decided to try and stay with them no matter what. After a quick nature break they really got on it and started splitting the group, and as I was riding so far back myself and a couple of other teammates got split off a few times when guys further up would pop. It took me max efforts just to bridge the gaps ride back on, so good interval work at least. We hit three longish hills in succession (and were averaging 24.5mph by that point) and that really got the group whittled down; on those three hills we went from about 50~60 riders to 15 in short order. My two teammates both got popped through that bit, but by then I had moved up to the front rotation to make sure I didn't lose contact. The 62/100 mile split came at the 54 mile mark (by then our average had slowed to 24.0mph) and the other 14 guys remaining in the 'A' group turned to do the 100, so I wound up soloing the last 8~9 miles to the metric century finish. I just read that one of the guys went down when he hit an Armadillo, but most of the remaining group made the full century in in under 4:30. The handful of guys in front of the crash made it around in 4:20 with about 4500' of rollers- sheesh!

There were 3 or 4 efforts in there where if they had of lasted 5 seconds more I think I would have blown a gasket, but was happy to hang with the front group until the split. No way I could have made 100 miles at that effort though. Finished up in 2:38 and change.

2015-04-11 4:33 PM

Master
Northern IL

Fyi, when you lead off with "metric century" vs 60 miler, everything else is going to sound exaggerated. 

2015-04-11 4:37 PM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

Originally posted by brigby1

Fyi, when you lead off with "metric century" vs 60 miler, everything else is going to sound exaggerated. 

oops - you are right - I should have said Canadian Century...

2015-04-11 4:45 PM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

Oh, and Arend was kind enough to point out that on Strava the ride shows up as 99.99km, so not even a metric century!!!!

2015-04-11 4:51 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Oh, and Arend was kind enough to point out that on Strava the ride shows up as 99.99km, so not even a metric century!!!!

Yup, you pretty much wasted your time out there.  

(rusty-canadian-century-almost.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
rusty-canadian-century-almost.jpg (24KB - 4 downloads)
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR "U" Rss Feed  

of 97

RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 15, 2013
author : writingrunner
comments : 1
The science behind the reasons that triathlons make us feel so good.

date : January 9, 2013
author : MultisportWorld
comments : 0
Jarrod Shoemaker, 2012 US Elite National Champion, discusses the importance of recovery for injury prevention.
date : December 12, 2004
author : Team BT
Ultraman champion, Shanna Armstrong, to ride across USA for science.

date : August 31, 2004
author : Ron
Everything you want to know (and then some).