Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 97

2015-07-10 9:54 AM
in reply to: TankBoy

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
Subject: RE: SBR "U"

Clearly I'm missing all the action by watching the Eurosports feed!

2015-07-10 10:01 AM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Elite
Ontario

I've been watching the local Sportsnet coverage (think of domestic ESPN), and we get some British guy talking for an hour or so before they bring in Phil and Paul.  And I don't believe he's one of the Eurosport guys.  Bob Roll would be far more entertaining.  Good thing is they are playing the 5 hour live feed in the morning, and then replay the whole thing again in the evening - not a cut down version.

2015-07-10 10:13 AM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

Good Grief - I just got an email from USAT that says over 4000 athletes are registered for the two Age Group nationals races in Milwaukee next month, and registration is still open....

2015-07-10 10:14 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by TankBoy

Good Grief - I just got an email from USAT that says over 4000 athletes are registered for the two Age Group nationals races in Milwaukee next month, and registration is still open....

Prepping for the switch to draft legal?

2015-07-10 10:15 AM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

Originally posted by axteraa

Prepping for the switch to draft legal?

Actually LOL'd.

2015-07-10 11:49 AM

User image

Elite
Ontario

Originally posted by GoFaster

Rusty - I need some proper bike friends...no-one to talk to about this stuff, although my 10 year old sat and watched with me the other night, but he might have just been trying to get out of going to bed.

I've decided that I really need to start my quest to get more aero.  When the velodrome re-opens after Pan Am I'm pretty sure the AlphaMantis pricing will increase, and likely not be affordable, which is a pity because position is likely my biggest aero killer.  But I took the first step and ordered a new tri suit - Castelli body paint, but without sleeves.  I know I'll likely give up a little something but the sleeves may annoy me on the run, and I didn't want to take that chance.

Next, a helmet, and this is where I struggle to drop the money because everything I read is helmets (and positions) can be so individual.  I'm leaning towards the P-09 because it seems to test well across a broad spectrum of folks, but if anyone has other options, let me know.

I need a new cockpit as well, but similar to aero testing, I likely won't have the dollars for the ultra sleek, ultra bling bars/setup (think tririg).  So I'm open to options.

In line with the new cockpit is consideration of replacing the BTA bottle, and maybe moving towards something like the Torhans 20.  Seems the key is to get it as close to the frame as possible to mimic the bayonet front ends.

Perhaps new shoes in the future as well - but this is likely further down the line, but seems you can save quite a few watts based on your footwear.

I just recently added a Torhans 30.  Having a hard time getting it as close to the frame as I would like.  I've had to order a different stem that has a different faceplate on it that will let me bring it in a bit closer and once I have that, the dremel will come out as well.  I am liking having the bottle with the straw (trimmed of course) right there, it certainly encourages me to drink more.

I'm with you on the cockpit, not sure I want to drop the coin for that.  I think the Vision bar I have is supposed to be decent anyway.

Arend - did you investigate any cockpits?  So many choices out there and not sure what is considered reasonable to spend in terms of aero + adjustability.

2015-07-10 11:58 AM
in reply to: GoFaster

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Rusty - I need some proper bike friends...no-one to talk to about this stuff, although my 10 year old sat and watched with me the other night, but he might have just been trying to get out of going to bed.

I've decided that I really need to start my quest to get more aero.  When the velodrome re-opens after Pan Am I'm pretty sure the AlphaMantis pricing will increase, and likely not be affordable, which is a pity because position is likely my biggest aero killer.  But I took the first step and ordered a new tri suit - Castelli body paint, but without sleeves.  I know I'll likely give up a little something but the sleeves may annoy me on the run, and I didn't want to take that chance.

Next, a helmet, and this is where I struggle to drop the money because everything I read is helmets (and positions) can be so individual.  I'm leaning towards the P-09 because it seems to test well across a broad spectrum of folks, but if anyone has other options, let me know.

I need a new cockpit as well, but similar to aero testing, I likely won't have the dollars for the ultra sleek, ultra bling bars/setup (think tririg).  So I'm open to options.

In line with the new cockpit is consideration of replacing the BTA bottle, and maybe moving towards something like the Torhans 20.  Seems the key is to get it as close to the frame as possible to mimic the bayonet front ends.

Perhaps new shoes in the future as well - but this is likely further down the line, but seems you can save quite a few watts based on your footwear.

I just recently added a Torhans 30.  Having a hard time getting it as close to the frame as I would like.  I've had to order a different stem that has a different faceplate on it that will let me bring it in a bit closer and once I have that, the dremel will come out as well.  I am liking having the bottle with the straw (trimmed of course) right there, it certainly encourages me to drink more.

I'm with you on the cockpit, not sure I want to drop the coin for that.  I think the Vision bar I have is supposed to be decent anyway.

Arend - did you investigate any cockpits?  So many choices out there and not sure what is considered reasonable to spend in terms of aero + adjustability.

Not really - the price always scares me off.

2015-07-10 12:44 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

Ha-Ha:

"If the bikes weren't there it would be a running race." Bobke in today's TDF broadcast while talking about how hard the mechanics work through the 3 weeks of the race.

I have to say just like in the TDC I really like all the on-bike and mechanic "chest cam"  footage they are getting in this year's races. It will be REALLY cool when the on-bike cameras can actually broadcast in real-time.

2015-07-10 1:39 PM

User image

I'm sorry if I posted this here already, the drugs sorta make it hard to remember what I said when and where (which may come in handy), and those on facebook know, but since Rusty has moved beyond his teen years, ortho went exactly as planned had I planned it to go 180 degrees from what I thought it would. So rather than "looks good let it heal you'll be back in 6 weeks," went more like this:

Doc: "So what's been happening since the accident, what took so long to come in?"

Me: "Well I was in the hospital until late last week."

Doc: "Hospital? Why didn't they fix this in the hospital?"

[Wendy and I giving each other questionable glances]: "Fix what?"

Doc: "Well your collarbone for one thing, it's completely displaced......."

And on from there. Bit of a shock. He said we could go without fixing it but the gap was so large it was questionable whether the bones would fill in that much, and if they didn't I might have some severe nerve damage.

I've been a fairly cool customer this whole time but walked out of there in a daze and a total loss of what to do.

Spoke to both my PT and sports chiro and they concur it's the better option at this time as I know it will get done and heal. So currently waiting for the docs scheduler to call back and hopefully get a slot next week. Rehab is 3 months, taking me to October . Thankfully hadn't yet signed up for Silverman, do have an Oly 10/31 but I will just switch to a volunteer position if that's too tight. Frankly in no hurry, problem is going to be being inactive and fighting the battle of the bulge.

2015-07-10 1:55 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Pro
NJ

Hey Chris, I already responded  on FB but since you can't remember what you posted, I'm going to assume you can't remember the responses. Lol. Good news is this will all get better. Surgery should be relatively easy and you'll be able to manage basic tasks with less pain. Say YES if they offer a nerve block. Also, consider saving a few 'tic tacs' ( code word for oxy) for PT. That's gonna hurt  

Also, this might also be a good time to arrange for your wife to have a day off. She probably needs a break  

2015-07-10 2:00 PM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

UGH Chris - that must have been some kind of shocker. But at least now you REALLY know what the story is and can take action. If it were me I would get it fixed ASAP and be done with it. FWIW I broke my right clavicle the first time a little over 30 years ago: broken in two places with the middle bit significantly displaced, along with a pretty good shoulder separation thrown in just for kicks. Remind me next time we are face-to-face and having drinks to tell you how they dealt with that sort of thing in rural Alabama 3 decades ago. It probably does not help you at all, but trust me, it could be a A LOT worse.... heh.

2015-07-10 2:40 PM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

Clearly I'm missing all the action by watching the Eurosports feed!

Here is a little chestnut from Paul Sherwood commenting on Froome's riding technique from just today:

"...Moving up into second position now is Ian Stannard... Froome is in second position, Look at him! Froome is like a big ol' preying mantis waiting to leap out!"

The really do crack me up...

2015-07-10 4:00 PM
in reply to: kcarroll

User image

Originally posted by kcarroll

Originally posted by kcarroll

Speaking of "skills." Anyone else hoping Jens loosens up a bit as a commentator? I ve always enjoyed his interviews - on the "other side of the mike."  He's not been as entertaining behind the desk.

yeah, I agree - I wonder what kind of leash they put him on. And Jennifer commented a couple of days ago how she didn't like how much CVDV argues with him also.... Didn't really notice it until she pointed it out - it's kinda subtle.

yeah, you're right, there's some low level jabbing going on.  they definitely keep Bobke on a leash. He spoke at one of our club events this year and I laughed until my sides hurt as bad as Chris's ribs. Of course, the pre event cocktails probably didn't hurt. So I'm off to VT for the weekend with no TV; and internet that's as slow as the maple syrup. I'm going to have catch up on Tour fun when I return. 

Jens is such a character...it's a shame they are using him the way they are.  I'd love to see a more fun loving and comical role for Jens sort of like how Kenny Mayne goes on assignment for Sports Center and does goofy interviews and segments.

Phil and Paul drive me nuts sometimes.  I know nobody is perfect, but they seem to get a lot of simple facts or details wrong and then get really animated with their call making it worse.  I much prefer the guys who do the Bein Sports broadcast.  They are also far more exciting as they head to the finish rather than listening to all the same lines from Phil.

2015-07-11 6:26 PM

Master
, California

Spoke to both my PT and sports chiro and they concur it's the better option at this time as I know it will get done and heal. So currently waiting for the docs scheduler to call back and hopefully get a slot next week. Rehab is 3 months, taking me to October . Thankfully hadn't yet signed up for Silverman, do have an Oly 10/31 but I will just switch to a volunteer position if that's too tight. Frankly in no hurry, problem is going to be being inactive and fighting the battle of the bulge.

Be sure to ask for titanium parts.  I mean if you're going to be upgrading, go all the way, right?

2015-07-12 3:45 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Originally posted by spudone

Be sure to ask for titanium parts.  I mean if you're going to be upgrading, go all the way, right?

Mark- Ti is so 2008. I could barely give away my litespeed Saber frame. Isn't carbon better? At any rate, for those if you not on facebook, here's the image that the county hospital didn't think merited surgical intervention. The silver lining i guess is thst the operation will be performed by one of the leading ortho medical groups in the country and not at a teaching hospital. Hopefully the image loads.......can't get pic to load from phone, will try from laptop later

Edited by ChrisM 2015-07-12 3:51 AM

(20150711_114504.jpg)

(20150711_114504.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
20150711_114504.jpg (4901KB - 3 downloads)
20150711_114504.jpg (4901KB - 4 downloads)
2015-07-12 5:34 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

trying to catch up on about 30 pages :-)

Summary

- Chris, can you sue those incompetent idiots ?

- Neil, from a person who has been there, don't buy stuff until you figured out how to measure and position yourself. Until you get into your optimal position, you don't know what aerobars you need. And they are dang expensive. Very simply put, because your body account for the overwheling amount of drag, air wants to flow around based on your body. Then you optimize all the 'parts' around that air flow including helmet, bottles.....You may be better off buying clothing rather than bottles, or glasses rather than visors.....without measuring, you are just throwing money without even knowing if you are solving a real problem. Trust me. Done that !!!

- TDF. I plan to watch it for the first time today. I can't figure something out. Why am I pulling for Contador ?

2015-07-12 5:36 AM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Hey Marc!  I was wondering just yesterday where you've been.  

2015-07-12 10:50 AM

Master
, California

Hey Chris I can't see the images but if you fix the upload I'll show them to my stepdad.  He's a radiologist, he might have a strong opinion on it

2015-07-12 3:38 PM
in reply to: spudone

User image

Hey Chris I can't see the images but if you fix the upload I'll show them to my stepdad.  He's a radiologist, he might have a strong opinion on it

I'll get then off the laptop

But for those not on facebook James got hit by a car today and has a broken clavicle as well. Not sure if there are other injuries or not

2015-07-12 4:11 PM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

Originally posted by ChrisM

I'll get then off the laptop

But for those not on facebook James got hit by a car today and has a broken clavicle as well. Not sure if there are other injuries or not

Ugh. Thanks for the heads-up, Chris - and hoping for a speedy recovery, James. Do let us know how you re getting along when you get the chance. Really hate to hear it.

2015-07-12 4:21 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

Originally posted by marcag TDF. I plan to watch it for the first time today. I can't figure something out. Why am I pulling for Contador ?

Hey Marc - welcome back from your hiatus! Yeah, it is funny - when the tour first got under way JT and I were commenting on that very thing. He is getting very little airtime though and almost no commentary. Interested to see if he can get his legs underneath him this week. As far the commentators go, the pre-race hoo-ha this morning was actually entertaining - Todd Harris, Bobke, and CVDV seemed to be having a really good time together and were genuinely excited for today's TTT - kinda fun to watch.

2015-07-12 5:25 PM

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
Chris
I hope this finds you in a better place mentally-you will get there physically. And titanium is useful for holding bones together (I have a bunch in me). As Rusty pointed out, walking is actually quite good and I did a lot while recovering from my injuries (shoulder/neck/ribs) a few years ago. You will get through this. You are strong and your activity level will help protect you from risks.

Very sad to hear about James and please let us know anything you find out.

Get well.
2015-07-12 5:27 PM
in reply to: dtoce

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
2015-07-12 6:16 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Did the two stage TT + RR race today.  I was pretty bummed to hear about James on the drive home.

TT was 17k - roads were wet due to some rain shortly before the start so had to be careful on some of the turns.  291w for 25:10 - 40.3 km/hr -first time I've averaged over 40 in a TT.

RR was less hectic than the last one, I'll do up a full RR but I ended up getting a flat with 1km to go when I was forced off the road by another rider.  They ended up giving me the same time as the group I was in.  Probably had a good shot at 2nd place in my division until the flat.

2015-07-12 6:35 PM

User image

Originally posted by dtocejust because the opportunity came up, I did a racehttp://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=533943&posts=1&page=1
Wins his age group on a whim. I love this mentor group LOL
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR "U" Rss Feed  

of 97

RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 15, 2013
author : writingrunner
comments : 1
The science behind the reasons that triathlons make us feel so good.

date : January 9, 2013
author : MultisportWorld
comments : 0
Jarrod Shoemaker, 2012 US Elite National Champion, discusses the importance of recovery for injury prevention.
date : December 12, 2004
author : Team BT
Ultraman champion, Shanna Armstrong, to ride across USA for science.

date : August 31, 2004
author : Ron
Everything you want to know (and then some).