General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 2015 Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4- Weight Loss Mentor Group - Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 37

2015-08-28 5:20 PM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
Subject: RE: 2015 Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4- Weight Loss Mentor Group - Open
Day 15 of 18
Swim 10m 20s 500.00 yards 02m 04s /100 yards

Good swim. My 50's were all 60s or less. My 100's averaged 2m 10s. Felt so good that it was only with difficulty that I forced myself to only swim my planned 500. I was seriously thinking about starting my distance set by inserting a third 100. But I talked myself out of it and held true to my plan. I will start the distance set next week.

2015-08-29 1:46 PM
in reply to: leatherneckpa

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
Day 16 of 18
Bike 1h 00m 54s 8.31 miles 8.19 Mi/hr

So proud of Cindy for leading today's ride. We pedaled the entire River Walk/bike path. Less than my previous 9 mile ride, but her slower pace made this ride 12m longer. Best of all, no monkey butt!
2015-08-29 2:25 PM

User image

Yardville, NJ
Epic fail for me today. I set out to do 14-15 mile run. Would've been my longest run ever. I plotted an out and back that was about 7 miles out. Started fine and was keeping my pacing good, running my 30:30 intervals. At about 5 miles or so my feet were hurting. I realized I had put on the wrong running shoes. My Brooks a Glycerin 10's look a lot like my new 13's. I had put on the 10's. They are pretty much shot and I only wear them as a beat around pair. Well, by mile 10, my feet were killing me and I couldn't run another step. I had to call Randi to come get me. I logged about 10.6 miles, but fell short of my goal. I'm 8 weeks from the marathon and am having confidence and doubt issues.
2015-08-29 3:59 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
Originally posted by Mfechter67Epic fail for me today. I set out to do 14-15 mile run. .......... Well, by mile 10, my feet were killing me and I couldn't run another step. I logged about 10.6 miles, but fell short of my goal. I'm 8 weeks from the marathon and am having confidence and doubt issues.
Cheer up Mike. You are calling this an epic fail but I see two real positive notes. First of all, 10.6 is nothing to sneeze at, and you quit because of shoes, not because your legs or lungs were shot. Second, you had the good sense to listen to your body and not force the issue, thereby risking injury. I call that a win.

ETA: If it were me, I would trash those shot out shoes so this can't happen again. Beater sneakers can be bought for less than $20.

Edited by leatherneckpa 2015-08-29 4:01 PM
2015-08-29 4:47 PM

User image

Yardville, NJ
Originally posted by leatherneckpa

Originally posted by Mfechter67Epic fail for me today. I set out to do 14-15 mile run. .......... Well, by mile 10, my feet were killing me and I couldn't run another step. I logged about 10.6 miles, but fell short of my goal. I'm 8 weeks from the marathon and am having confidence and doubt issues.
Cheer up Mike. You are calling this an epic fail but I see two real positive notes. First of all, 10.6 is nothing to sneeze at, and you quit because of shoes, not because your legs or lungs were shot. Second, you had the good sense to listen to your body and not force the issue, thereby risking injury. I call that a win.

ETA: If it were me, I would trash those shot out shoes so this can't happen again. Beater sneakers can be bought for less than $20.

Thank you, sir! You're right and I need to lift my head up. Slight taper this week, into Virginia Beach 13.1 next Sunday. Then 7 weeks to MCM. I WILL do this!

And yes, I think those shoes are destined for the trash!
2015-08-30 8:26 AM
in reply to: Mfechter67

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
Slight taper this week, into Virginia Beach 13.1 next Sunday. Then 7 weeks to MCM. I WILL do this!

And yes, I think those shoes are destined for the trash!
Okay, even further proof that yesterday was a win. Tapering into a half-marathon does NOT include going out for a run that adds a 5k on top of the half your are planning for next week. As for the shoes, they would have been in the trash before I even got in Randi's car for the ride home.

2015-08-30 9:24 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
Day 17 of 18
Walk - 27m 16s - 1.30 miles - 20m 58s /Mi

Mid-range slow walk with Cindy, out and back on the River Road. Rained on us for the middle half mile. A pleasant walk.

Spent some time yesterday evening drafting my annual training plan in accordance with Friel's instructions. And being slightly OCD about such things I color-coded the weeks. Race days are in red, taper weeks are in orange, recovery weeks are in pale yellow, and build weeks are in three different graduated shades of blue. After getting it all drawn out it really helped me visualize the season. It helped me know, for the first time, that this is doable. Next is to break each week down and plan my workouts. At my entry-level fitness, I am only interested in doing the miles/times at this point and refining my racewalk technique/speed..

First of all, it's 58 weeks until the B2B HIM. Plenty of time to train up to that. Second, I have a full five weeks between my sprint and Oly, and between the Oly and my HIM. That includes a recovery week, three build weeks, and a taper week. Third it showed me two significant gaps in my plan. I am now going to search for a 10K to racewalk in June, which means I will have one event each month from May until October next year. And I have to find something to split the winter months up a bit. I'm thinking about the Frostbite Idita-Trail in February. It's 9 miles of Rails-to-Trails; either biked, walked, snowshoed, or skied. Method depends on the weather and snow cover.
2015-08-30 9:27 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
FAIRY TALE ALERT!!!
The training plan to score my first HIM in 2016 looks so achievable that I have actually entertained the notion of scoring a full IM to celebrate my 60th birthday. I just turned 57 last week, so I've got lost of time to train up to it.
2015-08-30 9:31 AM

User image

Yardville, NJ

Day 17 of 18
Walk - 27m 16s - 1.30 miles - 20m 58s /Mi

Mid-range slow walk with Cindy, out and back on the River Road. Rained on us for the middle half mile. A pleasant walk.

Spent some time yesterday evening drafting my annual training plan in accordance with Friel's instructions. And being slightly OCD about such things I color-coded the weeks. Race days are in red, taper weeks are in orange, recovery weeks are in pale yellow, and build weeks are in three different graduated shades of blue. After getting it all drawn out it really helped me visualize the season. It helped me know, for the first time, that this is doable. Next is to break each week down and plan my workouts. At my entry-level fitness, I am only interested in doing the miles/times at this point and refining my racewalk technique/speed..

First of all, it's 58 weeks until the B2B HIM. Plenty of time to train up to that. Second, I have a full five weeks between my sprint and Oly, and between the Oly and my HIM. That includes a recovery week, three build weeks, and a taper week. Third it showed me two significant gaps in my plan. I am now going to search for a 10K to racewalk in June, which means I will have one event each month from May until October next year. And I have to find something to split the winter months up a bit. I'm thinking about the Frostbite Idita-Trail in February. It's 9 miles of Rails-to-Trails; either biked, walked, snowshoed, or skied. Method depends on the weather and snow cover.

Sounds like a great plan! I love the idea of color-coding it. I'm a visual thinker, so that would definitely hell me too.
2015-08-30 10:18 AM
in reply to: WebFootFreak

User image

Across the river from Memphis, Tennessee
Mike, Mike and Rick are making me look real bad this week...

I'm not entirely sure how it happened, but I missed everything I planned on this week. I could blame it on the few schedule changes that were made this week... However, I know that the vast bulk of the blame for doing nada falls squarely on the shoulders of this guy.

I have 6 weeks until the Metric. I had planned on breaking the single ride 50-mile mark in August... Messed that one up too.

I'm going to treat this as a reboot. Need to work a nice, gradual buildup to B2B. Need to get my diet squared away. If I can pull my head out of my arse, I should be able to run the even at 200lbs. Speaking of weight, I'm still 254.5 as of this morning. At least I didn't gain.
2015-08-30 1:25 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
Originally posted by WebFootFreak

Wait a minute. I thought YOU were Rick?

2015-08-30 3:30 PM

User image

Originally posted by WebFootFreak

Wait a minute. I thought YOU were Rick?

Hehehehe, yup... and my lack of activity after being alone here for a month is making me look bad
2015-08-31 2:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
Day 18 of 18
Swim - 12m 48s - 600.00 yards - 02m 07s /100 yards
I did it! I got all 18 planned work days in. There were even a couple of "bonus" workouts where I doubled up some days.

Began building my distance set today by adding a 3rd 100 yd set in the middle. The plan is to increase the distance set by 50yds per week right now. I will know after I finish mapping out my planned workouts whether that will be sufficient or if I need to make it 100yds to be doing my B2B distance a few weeks before the race.

Had my annual physical today. New doctor, since the old one has moved up to an admin position in the hospital. Once again I have completely befuddled the doctor. How can a 57 yr old man be 375 lbs and not be hypertensive or at least pre-diabetic? All blood values were nearly perfectly aligned with the average recommended values. I showed her my annual training plan and my training calendar from August. I had to explain about periodization, recovery weeks, and tapering but in the end she gave me the all clear to attack my training as hard as I please; provided I stop if I experience any chest pains, dizziness, or shortness of breath. Duh!?

It's not all rosey though. I had a static week for weight loss, remained the same 375 as last week.
2015-08-31 3:01 PM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Hey all. Happy Monday.

I did so-so with my workouts. I did NOT do the half marathon this weekend. We had unexpected guests show up for the weekend. I ended up having too much fun, too late at night for any real workouts. My training during the week was good and I did a teeny bit of movement even with the guests here. I also bagged all of my self-imposed TRX workouts for the week. For weight loss, muscle building, and balance work.. those are probably the most important workouts I need to be doing at this time. I skipped the scale this am, so I don't know how I did. (I was late getting my act together for work this morning).

So... who is really signing up for B2B when it opens?

2015-08-31 3:25 PM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
Originally posted by ceilidh

Well, since I'm the one who instigated it, I am definitely signing up for it.
(Where's the emoticon for "slaps forehead, wondering, what the heck am I doing!!"?)
2015-08-31 3:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
Check out my 1st Challenge to see if you are interested. I tried to keep it relatively simple, but interesting. This is what I was planning to challenge myself to for September anyway.

2015-09-01 2:50 AM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Hi guys,

Just a quick check in from me, to prove I'm still here. I'm over in Australia again for a few days. So I"ve brought my running shoes, but this week is going to be a rest week for me.

Last week was good, 6 runs for 3:40, and 2 bike rides on the trainer for 1 hour. I don't have a Monday weigh in, as being away from home I don't have access to my scale.

Everyone keep up the good training, and I'll check in properly when I can.
2015-09-01 8:21 AM

User image

Finally got off my arse last night. I swapped the 5k program for the 10k on my phone. Since my running has been turrible the last couple of weeks, I backed up to week 6 which is the last week of intervals before adding distance to get to 5k. Also, when I looked at week 9 (the beginning of the 10k part), the workouts jumped from 40mins to 54mins. Not something I wanted to do coming off a slump.
2015-09-01 8:52 AM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
For me next to 2 weeks is my new favorite game. How much weight can I lose. Why 2 weeks because this weekend is a rest week and I do not have a long run (18 miles) for 2 weeks. I hoping to get down 4 to 6 lbs from my lowest before I broke my diet.

Only sad thing is I learned my only triathlon for the year is the same day as my 20 miler for the marathon. I think I need the LSD but I almost hate to give up the triathlon since well it is the ITU and rarely comes to the US especially your own home town. I can switch to the OLY but I have not been swimming much, and frankly race course has 24 turns for the Oly I too worried about falling. I am not good bike handler. One a plus side I done the Oly much less training before.
2015-09-01 10:22 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
Originally posted by bulfrog

I'm over in Australia again for a few days.

bullfrog, might you be anywhere near Albury, NSW? We had a member (alburyscott) from there. Not sure how you would do it, but maybe you can look him up while you're there. Me? I think it would be neat to actually meet some of these people I associate with on here.

Edited by leatherneckpa 2015-09-01 10:23 AM
2015-09-01 10:29 AM
in reply to: chirunner134

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
Rick, I think you made a wise decision there. Besides, you said you were hitting the reset button. Can't expect to jump in at your previous best if you've been out of the game a while. I should know.

chirunner, My two cents? Do the ITU event. You can always find another tri, but as you said this thing doesn't come to the USA often and definitely not your home town. This might turn out to be your only chance EVER to do it.

2015-09-01 10:33 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
1/20
Bike - 46m 55s - 9.01 miles - 11.52 Mi/hr

Started my September challenge off with a small bang. Okay, maybe more like a mid-sized pop, but it still counts. It felt a lot slower than when I did this 9 mile loop last week. Yet it was only 8s longer and .1mph avg slower. Looking at the map I can see that I was really dogging it for the 2 miles on the back side for the second lap. Had I been doing 11mph instead of 10mph it would have made a significant difference.

On a positive note, however, there were several times that I looked down to see myself pacing over 16mph on the flats. That's a definite improvement for me.

Have to log a workout every day through Saturday as we will be spending Labor Day weekend with friends in Fredericksburg, VA. Won't be able to log anything until Tuesday the 8th.
2015-09-01 10:52 AM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois

Rick, I think you made a wise decision there. Besides, you said you were hitting the reset button. Can't expect to jump in at your previous best if you've been out of the game a while. I should know.

chirunner, My two cents? Do the ITU event. You can always find another tri, but as you said this thing doesn't come to the USA often and definitely not your home town. This might turn out to be your only chance EVER to do it.

Rick I agree with this. I struggle all the time and I talk to people about my "glory days" I need to forget that myself and focus on what do I need to do today. Past is a good reminder that you can do it.

In regards to the ITU I did do it last year which was cool. Of course that was not part of the grand finale. Its not like I would completely miss out except this year I trimmed down a little bit so my pictures would look a little nicer. Plus I am trying to preserve my legeacy spot. IF it was the Chicago triathlon course I would do it in a heart beat because the bike course is less technical and I probably could get through the Oly even. I guess I am getting so close I am being paranoid about any potential crashes. Heck I fell off the treadmill and that wound not healed yet completely over 1 month now.
2015-09-01 11:06 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
WOW! Registration for The Nation's Tri Olympic costs the same $200 as for the B2B HIM. LOL, it's gonna be an expensive season next year. Fortunately, I have free lodging within an hour of both events.

For those who are debating either one, The Nation's Olympic sold out on 8/1/2015. B2B HIM sold out back in June, but due to cancellations there are actually 8 spots open to register today.

Wetsuits are mandatory for the B2B. They have at least one wetsuit wave each year for Nation's, but usually the water temps make them ineligible for awards.
2015-09-01 11:38 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Originally posted by ceilidh

I am working on convincing the wife that Wilmington would make for a good family vaca next year. Right now the only speed bump is a possible trip to FL because my oldest is going with the high school band... which is going to co$t.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 2015 Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4- Weight Loss Mentor Group - Open Rss Feed  

of 37

RELATED POSTS

Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4- Weight Loss Mentor Group -OPEN AGAIN!! Pages: 1 ... 55 56 57 58

Started by Fechter99
Views: 54957 Posts: 1444

2015-08-04 12:43 AM Go4gidget

Athena/ Clydesdale Official Mentor Group Pages: 1 ... 42 43 44 45

Started by BikerGrrrl
Views: 68348 Posts: 1113

2013-12-30 2:13 PM Fechter99

Clyde/Athena FB group.... Pages: 1 2

Started by Garceau
Views: 8796 Posts: 44

2016-09-27 11:52 AM dandr614

Athena group vs. Beginner Triathlete group

Started by Tri-Ro
Views: 2580 Posts: 6

2008-09-03 10:34 PM Artemis

Love Being an Athena/Clyde [Newbie] Because

Started by TriAya
Views: 3661 Posts: 25

2007-08-16 1:45 AM Iron_Gus
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 13, 2005
author : JeremyLikness
comments : 9
Losing fat is not difficult. So why does this continue to be an elusive goal for so many people, who “struggle” just to lose a few inches?