General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Smooth bike tires in rain - bad news? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-07-15 8:14 PM

User image

Master
New Jersey
Subject: Smooth bike tires in rain - bad news?
My recently purchased bike came with tires that have absolutely no tread - they're just smooth as anything. They look simply like tubes and they forgot to put tires over them.

Problem is the forecast for my tri on Sunday predicts rain. Am I going to be slipping and sliding all over? Do I look to get another set of tires?

2004-07-15 8:52 PM
in reply to: #37884

User image

Expert
Denver, Colorado
Subject: RE: Smooth bike tires in rain - bad news?
Sweet I just got my degree in physics so I'm going to try it out. Tell me if this is convincing. The more points of contact between your tire and the road (i.e., more rubber), the more friction there is. So smooth tires have the greatest contact area and under most circumstances are best for gripping the road. I think the same principle should hold on wet surfaces as long as the tires can displace the water and have contact with the road. Tread helps by having little nooks and crannies where the water can go so there's no layer of water between the tire and the road. So it seems to me that if as long as your smooth tires have as much contact with the road as a treaded tire normally would, then it should be all good.

Okay, that argument having gone nowhere, I can tell you that I use completely smooth tires and I ride in the rain all the time. The only times I've had trouble have been on metal slabs on the road or sharp turns, like 90-degree dealies. On rural roads I've been in some torrential downpours with no problems, so I think as long as you take some of the sharp turns more slowly than usual, your normal riding should be about the same. And also, embrace physics.
2004-07-15 9:17 PM

User image

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario
Same here, I ride to work often enough, ie this morning, with very smooth 23cm tires without any problems. I am very carelful not to turn onto white lines on the road; approached at an angle, they are as slippery as ice.
2004-07-16 1:23 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonton, Alberta
Smooth good.

It is ok just take your time, I know you are racing but you know what I mean.

Just try to be smooth and you will be fine I ride with slicks all the time.

Roy
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Smooth bike tires in rain - bad news? Rss Feed