General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike Travel question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-01-26 11:07 AM

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
Subject: Bike Travel question
what would you do?

I won the Alcatraz lottery and am travelling to SF in June to race.

Trying to figure out the best/most economical option for traveling with my bike.

My tri bike is a Large Shiv. It's a big mofo and I'm not very comfortable taking it apart. I do, however, have time to teach myself.

My 2nd bike is a Redline Conquest CX bike (I can put smooth tires on it). I'd be way more comfortable taking this bike apart and it would fit in virtually any bike case to check and fly with (The Shiv won't fit in just anything, it has to be the right type/size case).

I'm considering taking the Redline and racing Alcatraz with it. On one hand, I hate taking a $500 bike to a legendary race versus my race bike/race wheels etc. On the other hand, it's an irregular course and this is more of an "experience" than a race I'm competing anything for. It almost seems like the fewer hassles of the Redline would be the way to go.

What would you do? Take the beater bike or the good bike? (perhaps some have been in this situation before)

2015-01-26 11:22 AM
in reply to: dprocket

User image

Veteran
Prairie Village, Kansas
Subject: RE: Bike Travel question
I've never flied with a bike (thankfully), so I can't be of help there. BUT from what I know about the race course, you might prefer the road/cx set up (just get the CX tires off...). I thought the bike course had constant turns and quick, steep climbs. Others have said that you spend hardly any time in your aerobars. I think several pros race with a road bike.

Regardless, I'm sure you'll have an amazing experience.
2015-01-29 9:30 AM
in reply to: m.a.burghart

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
I'd save some dough and trouble and just rent a road bike. I'll lend you some aerobars if you take that route. If you know your stack/reach you can rent a bike to meet your dimensional requirements. I can even lend you my FF seatpost if necessary. I should be getting my first TT bike in the next month or so so I'll finally be able to put my road bike back to its original configuration.
2015-01-29 11:18 AM
in reply to: reecealan

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
Originally posted by reecealan

I'd save some dough and trouble and just rent a road bike. I'll lend you some aerobars if you take that route. If you know your stack/reach you can rent a bike to meet your dimensional requirements. I can even lend you my FF seatpost if necessary. I should be getting my first TT bike in the next month or so so I'll finally be able to put my road bike back to its original configuration.

Nice....I'm looking into that option as well. The main vendor that rents in SF just emailed me last night explaining plans. I inquired months ago but they weren't accepting reservations, so that may very well be the route I go.

What TT bike are you getting?
2015-01-29 11:27 AM
in reply to: dprocket

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Looking at Felt B14.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike Travel question Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Bike Swap Meet 4/13 & 4/14 Bike America

Started by mikec123
Views: 674 Posts: 1

2013-04-12 6:23 PM mikec123

Bike fit question

Started by dprocket
Views: 1010 Posts: 9

2013-02-07 4:35 PM thepaul500

Traveling to Wichita: OWS and Run Options?

Started by Clempson
Views: 1173 Posts: 4

2012-06-07 9:54 AM Clempson

Road Bike or Tri Bike

Started by kuatb
Views: 2509 Posts: 11

2011-07-12 3:39 PM faded_memories

Relocating to the Overland Park area...biking question?

Started by msphawkeye
Views: 2467 Posts: 12

2009-10-04 7:25 PM IMHusker
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 8, 2014
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 1
Traveling as an athlete is better than traveling as a tourist or on business or even just wandering around with a backpack and a holey sleeping bag. An athlete is given wide birth.

date : July 16, 2012
author : Kyle Pawlaczyk
comments : 2
Homestays vs hotels, eating and flying with your bike.
date : October 7, 2008
author : trvw
comments : 0
Q&A with a triathlete who decided to compete last minute while vacationing overseas in Croatia.

date : December 19, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 2
My problem is I can only swim about 30-40 meters without having to rest. What is the best way to improve this? I need to get from 40 to 750 meters in 6 months.
date : October 11, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
I have 10 lessons with a coach and he keeps telling my I'm holding my breath. I cannot figure out where since I'm breathing out and in every 3rd stroke. Any drill recommendations?

date : July 9, 2007
author : sportfactory
While training on a stationary bike could never fully substitute time on the road, there are many workouts you can perform to work on a piece of your cycling.
date : January 7, 2007
author : KevinKonczak
Discussions on swimming, observing, asking questions, flip-turns, flexible ankles, rotation, Stretch Cordz, skiing substitution and resting.

date : June 4, 2006
author : mikericci
comments : 1
Information compiled on various plans from the most common user questions.