General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training in Europe (Munich, Zurich, Paris) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-02-10 3:05 AM

New user

Subject: Training in Europe (Munich, Zurich, Paris)
Hello,

I am heading to Munich, Zurich, and Paris in from May 6 till May 18. I am in the midst of preparing my HIM which will be on 14 June. Is there any place that I can continue my training while I am there. So far, I am looking at the following plan:-

Can someone please kindly advise me where I can train? In Munich, I know I can do my running in English Garden and swimming in Olympic Stadium. Is there any lake in Munich that I can swim?

In Zurich, can I swim in Lake Zurich?

In Paris, can I rent a road bike to train my cycling?

Apologies for the basic question, but I am from South East Asia and this is my first time in Europe.

Any help and advise is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Regards

Malik

2015-02-10 10:14 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Groningen, Netherlands
Subject: RE: Training in Europe (Munich, Zurich, Paris)
Hi Malik,

I will do Ironman Zurich in July this year so I was curious to see if swimming in the Zurichsee is possible or not, so I attempted to find out. First of all, here is a list of all the swimmingpools in the Zurich area, with a nice handy map:

https://www.stadt-zuerich.ch/ssd/de/index/sport/schwimmen.html

A "Hallenbad" is a covered pool, and a "freibad" is an open air pool and will probably open around the time you plan to visit Europe, in May. Specifically Mythenquai, which is very close to the Landiwiese in Zurich where the Ironman swim starts, that pool opens om May 9, as do most open pools in kanton Zurich. I am sure that is somewhat subject to weather conditions though. Each "bad" has some info though, so check that out.

From what I can gather, from unofficial sources, is that you are generally allowed to swim in the lake except in certain places where there are signs posted. I might be able to get some of my friends to inform about the possiblities in the lake, but they're not triathletes so I doubt they venture outside of the freibäder. A good guess might be to contact the Ironman Switzerland organization and ask them, I am sure they know as lots of athletes will want to pre-swim the course (I will too most likely). In fact, I might contact them myself. If I found out anything else I will let you know. And if you find out some more things, let me know too please

Edit: the Mythenquai suggestion I gave is actually a strandbad, which is basically a beach It says there is a 250m wide beach, so if anything you could swim parallel to shore for 250m and you would most likely be safe from watercraft. Here's the specific site: https://www.stadt-zuerich.ch/ssd/de/index/sport/schwimmen/sommerbaed...

Edited by Snaaijer 2015-02-10 10:35 AM
2015-02-10 12:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
In Munich there is a 50m pool called DanteBad, not far from the Olympic pool. IMO it's nicer and more convenient. English Gardens are a good place to run. Middle of the day and after 8:30PM were away best swim times for me.

In Paris, I suggest you look at going to a gym with spin bikes. Much easier to find. For pools take a look at this.
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/cgi-bin/gforum.cgi?post=3708068;sb=post...
Swimming in Paris was always difficult. They swim like they drive :-)

Edited by marcag 2015-02-10 12:17 PM
2015-02-12 5:40 AM

User image

Veteran
Newcastle, England

Yes it is ok to swim in the lake at Zurich ... It's a great bit of open water

There are many areas around the shores where you will see plenty of people in the water 

The water will still be a little chilly in may ... so you may want to use a wetsuit 

Edited by WildWill 2015-02-12 5:41 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training in Europe (Munich, Zurich, Paris) Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Training camp Europe - any suggestions?

Started by The Duck
Views: 525 Posts: 3

2011-06-27 10:06 AM audiojan

Bike shipping ideas from Europe?

Started by huzkers
Views: 1083 Posts: 8

2008-02-08 10:32 AM Simondk

Races or tris in Europe

Started by writers2
Views: 787 Posts: 6

2004-07-18 3:52 AM sherrick

Munich City Triathlon (Germany)

Started by thenumber
Views: 725 Posts: 4

2004-06-01 2:20 AM Minkota

My Re-Tri in Munich

Started by NikNak
Views: 621 Posts: 3

2004-05-25 11:44 AM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2013
author : mistymills
comments : 5
Dog training techniques have surprising parallels to triathlon training and race preparation. All the lessons I THOUGHT were for my dogs started seeming very applicable to me! Here's what I learned.

date : September 6, 2011
author : mikericci
comments : 4
Triathlon Coach explains Zone 1 and Zone 2 training and the benefits of each training zone
date : July 28, 2011
author : NiceTriCoaching
comments : 1
If you're training your swim, bike and run, you're almost halfway there! This article explores what most athletes miss, and how to integrate it into your training plan.

date : June 6, 2011
author : JorgeM
comments : 1
Article explaining simple training concepts important for any endurance program
date : February 3, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 4
Scheduling workouts in the Custom Training Plan Creator for an ideal, balanced, injury-free season

date : January 20, 2011
author : Coach AJ
comments : 3
Using a high-volume schedule for many months is not the best tactic. Build speed and skill several months out, and then transition to a high-volume IM plan.
date : July 8, 2008
author : sportfactory
comments : 0
Training and racing with your body type mostly means a more analytical approach to both. Here are a few ways you can tip the genetic scale.

date : October 2, 2007
author : docgill
comments : 0
Is it possible for loners to work in a small group and still have plenty of time on their own? Training in small groups can give many benefits.