General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Rear Wheel Suggestions? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-02-19 12:50 PM

New user

Subject: Rear Wheel Suggestions?
I recently received a gift certificate for a local bike shop because I am guessing my wife was sick of me complaining about my cracked rim.. I mean because she loves me and loves to give me the opportunity to buy new equipment. The issue is that my local bike shop has been less than helpful in determining which rear wheel would be best for my price range, use, etc and basically said that I should do my own research and come back to them. My price tops out at about $400, I ride about 60miles per week, I need the rim to work for both training and races, 700c, ultegra system. I don't know if I should worry about weight over aero over durability. If anyone has some suggestions of wheels they have had luck with or research websites, it would be appreciated.

2015-02-19 1:58 PM
in reply to: samwiegand

User image

Subject: RE: Rear Wheel Suggestions?

What type of front rim do you have?

What type of bike is this for and what type of racing do you do?

Is the GC for $400 or is it for less and your total budget is $400?

If you're just interested in triathlon training and racing, I would just get a normal 28 spoke box training rim and order a disc cover for it for racing.  Probably a lot less than $400.  Of course if you already have a Garmin type bike computer that can read ANT+ power, you could go for a used powertap rear wheel and a disc cover.  That could come out to around $400 if you find a deal, but won't be through your LBS.

2015-02-19 2:12 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

How about a decent 40mm wheelset with a disc cover like this one here?

Yes those are mine!

edit: Oops, sorry I originally skipped past the GC part!

Edited by Donto 2015-02-19 2:16 PM
2015-02-19 2:39 PM

User image

Aero and durability are not mutually exclusive.  As noted above, get the best training wheel you can get for $300 and then get a $90 cover.  Train uncovered, race covered.  

2015-02-19 5:04 PM
in reply to: Jason N

New user

Bontrager Race Lite X. Bike is a LeMond Rennes. Races are all tri's mostly Oly distance. GC is $400 and if I go over there will likely be some hell to pay. I had not thought about the disk. The shop guy did say that they had some new Bontrager Race Lites and I could get all items for likely <$400. I don't train with power yet so that part is not an issue right now (maybe next birthday). Thanks for the thoughts.
2015-02-19 5:07 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

New user

Great suggestion. Thanks!

2015-02-19 5:08 PM
in reply to: Donto

New user

Looks like it would have worked out great. I had a line on a great set with a local coach here all ready to go then I got the surprise GC. She meant well.
2015-02-19 5:16 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by samwiegand...my local bike shop has been less than helpful in determining which rear wheel would be best for my price range, use, etc and basically said that I should do my own research and come back to them...

Shame it's a gift certificate.  The bike shop isn't worthy of your business.

but, since you have to go to that shop, can they at least tell you what brands of wheels they sell and can get for you?  You might wanna go with one of the new wider rims, that you can put a 25mm on.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Rear Wheel Suggestions? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Simulating Climbing: Front wheel 26" and rear wheel 24"

Started by bernardocom
Views: 1147 Posts: 7

2013-01-01 9:43 PM colinphillips

Suggestions on rear mounted water bottle holders

Started by Reflection46n2
Views: 1926 Posts: 16

2009-05-08 4:35 PM guncollector

Rear Wheel Speed sensor and a disc wheel

Started by RBRMIKE
Views: 1810 Posts: 7

2007-03-16 9:51 AM JeepFleeb

Disc covers for rear wheels

Started by nel34
Views: 1621 Posts: 12

2007-02-08 7:59 AM tritank

dish type rear wheels

Started by DaveG
Views: 635 Posts: 2

2004-09-10 7:40 PM DaveG
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 15, 2013
author : XLAB Hydration
comments : 0
XLAB Launches the Latest Rear Single Bottle System, the DELTA 300

date : October 27, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Hint: It's not a one-person job
date : August 7, 2009
author : Coach AJ
Looking to rent or try-before-you-buy race wheels for your next triathlon? Coach AJ checks out the service at RaceDay Wheels.

date : January 13, 2009
comments : 3
When I switch one wheelset for another, the rear derailleur needs to be adjusted because the rear wheel on each holds the cassette in a different position. Where do I start?
date : December 15, 2008
My back wheel needs to be trued up. It has a slight side-to-side wobble, and I feel at times like I'm going to lose control when I ride. Is this something that I should only trust to my LBS to do?

date : August 5, 2008
The wheels are my first area of concern and I have started to shop around. I find it nauseating to think of spending the same amount for wheels as my bike. Any help?
date : November 6, 2007
author : Ron
comments : 2
Don't know how to take that rear wheel off of your bike? Is the chain making things difficult? Learn how to remove your rear wheel if you have to change your bike tire or fix a flat.

date : April 13, 2007
author : B-One
comments : 8
This article estimates how much time can be saved in sprint races by converting from stock aero wheels found on most tri bikes to more aero disk and composite spoked wheels.