Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2015-04-08 10:23 AM
in reply to: 3mar

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
Subject: RE: psi sensitivity
Originally posted by 3marI've got a slightly off topic question; do latex tubes lose pressure faster than butyl?

Yes.

2015-04-08 5:49 PM
in reply to: TankBoy

User image

Brooklyn, New York
Good lil nugget of info
Thx
2015-04-08 6:04 PM
in reply to: TankBoy

User image

Originally posted by TankBoy
Originally posted by 3marI've got a slightly off topic question; do latex tubes lose pressure faster than butyl?

Yes.

Yep.  Not so much that you *really* need to be worried within a ride, or during an entire day like IM...but you for sure want to top off the pressure before each ride.  A fully inflated latex tube usually goes completely flat for me in about 10-14 days.  

My personal experience is that latex (at least the tubes I have used...vittoria and michelin) is just fine for about 16 hours.  Meaning I can pump them up at 8pm, race the next morning at 7am, and by the time I'm done unpacking my bike after the race at 12 noon, the tire still feels firm as it should be.  24-36 hours later though, you can feel it is slightly soft, but still rideable...maybe 5-10 psi lost.  3 days or more and the tire still holds shape, but there is no way you would ride on pressure that low.

2015-04-08 6:21 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Jason N

Yes.

Yep.  Not so much that you *really* need to be worried within a ride, or during an entire day like IM...but you for sure want to top off the pressure before each ride.  A fully inflated latex tube usually goes completely flat for me in about 10-14 days.  

My personal experience is that latex (at least the tubes I have used...vittoria and michelin) is just fine for about 16 hours.  Meaning I can pump them up at 8pm, race the next morning at 7am, and by the time I'm done unpacking my bike after the race at 12 noon, the tire still feels firm as it should be.  24-36 hours later though, you can feel it is slightly soft, but still rideable...maybe 5-10 psi lost.  3 days or more and the tire still holds shape, but there is no way you would ride on pressure that low.

Also remember, latex tubes will leak CO2 much much faster than air. So when racing your spare should not be CO2 since you will probably be re-inflating with a CO2 cartridge if you flat.

Tom A (an expert) on ST says they leak 10x faster

2015-04-08 6:28 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Originally posted by marcag
Originally posted by Jason N

Yes.

Also remember, latex tubes will leak CO2 much much faster than air. So when racing your spare should not be CO2 latex (IOW use a butyl spare) since you will probably be re-inflating with a CO2 cartridge if you flat. Tom A (an expert) on ST says they leak 10x faster

Fixed

2015-04-13 5:30 PM
in reply to: TJHammer

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC

I'm not very sensitive I guess. I pump my tires to 100psi and generally only refill them once or twice a week. I ride 6-7 days a week. I always inflate them before a race though, or it I got a flat tire on the ride, so I guess I am sensitive in that I want them around 100psi, but for training, I'm not worried about it too much. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » psi sensitivity Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Persistent Tooth Sensitivity after Swimming

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 1126 Posts: 7

2014-03-14 3:03 PM Sidney Porter

The flip turn and chemical sensitivity combo thread

Started by mrbbrad
Views: 1554 Posts: 6

2011-07-08 3:01 PM tuwood

Teeth sensitivity after swimming

Started by sarahswhere
Views: 1528 Posts: 4

2010-12-08 8:53 PM Oldteen

PSI question

Started by jimmyb
Views: 1159 Posts: 6

2008-06-25 11:24 AM run4yrlif

Easiest way to inflate tires to max PSI? Pages: 1 2

Started by wendypow
Views: 2090 Posts: 35

2007-06-09 8:35 PM tri_again
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 28, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
Are you an athlete with celiac disease or have gluten sensitivity or intolerance? Find out the symptoms and learn how to eat gluten free.