General Discussion Triathlon Talk » psi sensitivity Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2015-04-03 8:44 AM

User image

Brooklyn, New York
Subject: psi sensitivity
Just how specific/sensitive are you all to the slightest of psi settings....5psi.....10......3.....2?etc

Really been playing around with varied psi settings on the 25mm Conti4000s I just put on.
Though I haven't been cycling seriously that long, I am wondering if it's ocd anal takeover or not as I fuss and play with different psi levels overall and front/rear

2015-04-03 9:55 AM
in reply to: #5105847

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: psi sensitivity
Well, a littler bigger than PSI- but I crashed pretty good a few years ago after switching my mtn bike to tubeless right before an Xterra. I kept thinking my rear tire was flat- looking back to check was probably a bad call.

I'm pretty sensitive to tire pressure- but I've never experimented with what my tolerance level is.
2015-04-03 10:36 AM
in reply to: TJHammer

User image

Only because I do not want to flat due to over inflating. Woke up one race morning to two flats. Then had a stretch of steady flats which I think was due to over inflating. I've been pretty consistent with checking tires since so who knows I might notice if they are a few psi off.
2015-04-03 11:11 AM
in reply to: Moonrocket

User image

Katy, Texas
I'm happy as long as I'm somewhere in between flats due to over inflating and pinch flats due to under inflating. I pump my wheels prior to every ride (typically the night before) and have them right between 100-105 psi.

That being said, I didn't have my valve extenders on right an had spent the better part of last week well under inflated. I got them up to pressure for today's ride and felt like I had an engine on my bike....it was awesome. I don't know how under inflated I was, but it made a huge difference.

I read that Conti GP4000's don't lose a lot of rolling resistance between 90-is up to 120, so if that's what you're running, according to the data I've seen, it shouldn't matter too much.
2015-04-03 11:20 AM
in reply to: 3mar

User image

Brooklyn, New York
Originally posted by 3mar

I'm happy as long as I'm somewhere in between flats due to over inflating and pinch flats due to under inflating. I pump my wheels prior to every ride (typically the night before) and have them right between 100-105 psi.

That being said, I didn't have my valve extenders on right an had spent the better part of last week well under inflated. I got them up to pressure for today's ride and felt like I had an engine on my bike....it was awesome. I don't know how under inflated I was, but it made a huge difference.

I read that Conti GP4000's don't lose a lot of rolling resistance between 90-is up to 120, so if that's what you're running, according to the data I've seen, it shouldn't matter too much.

Funny you mention, because I read up the same, first rides on em I ran 95 front/ 105 rear (I weigh 188lbs), They definitely felt softer on ride quality, but I felt that under 17mph or so the rolling resistance was too soft for my taste. If I was moving over 23mph it felt pretty good and gentler a ride, but I was not thrilled about my quantitative results on some local routine sprint routes I hit.

Next time out I ran 100 front/115 rear, Still felt a less harsh ride quality, but acceleration was a tad soft for what I thought. (I still have self doubt of my over ciriticalness so to speak - because I haven't been avid cycling for years and years).

Last night I hit another set of local sprint segments I usually do (and it was more windy than previous 2 rides), and planned to not go over 75% max HR either. I ran 103front/ 118 rear. Ride felt a tad harder, but I flew and kept a much easier steady 18+mph without feeling as it did on previous rides.

Either it's all in my damned head or I am that sensitive, hence why threw this post up
2015-04-03 11:49 AM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

Most likely in your head, but by definition the placebo effect is as good the real-deal. a 5lb psi difference IS measurable in AeroLab, however, and well-worth figuring out what works best for you with your particular weight and setup. That said though I would be very surprised to find that any of my various floor pump gauges were accurate to withing 5lbs of each other....

2015-04-03 11:55 AM

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by TJHammer

Originally posted by 3mar

Funny you mention, because I read up the same, first rides on em I ran 95 front/ 105 rear (I weigh 188lbs), They definitely felt softer on ride quality, but I felt that under 17mph or so the rolling resistance was too soft for my taste. If I was moving over 23mph it felt pretty good and gentler a ride, but I was not thrilled about my quantitative results on some local routine sprint routes I hit.

Next time out I ran 100 front/115 rear, Still felt a less harsh ride quality, but acceleration was a tad soft for what I thought. (I still have self doubt of my over ciriticalness so to speak - because I haven't been avid cycling for years and years).

Last night I hit another set of local sprint segments I usually do (and it was more windy than previous 2 rides), and planned to not go over 75% max HR either. I ran 103front/ 118 rear. Ride felt a tad harder, but I flew and kept a much easier steady 18+mph without feeling as it did on previous rides.

Either it's all in my damned head or I am that sensitive, hence why threw this post up

I know there was a huge difference between earlier this week and today, but I think it was on the order of 80 earlier to 105 today. I have valve extenders in so the gauge on my pump jumps when the air pressure gets high enough to open the presta valve, and therefore I can't tell within 5 psi where exactly I am. I'm still getting the hang of just filling the dang thing up.
2015-04-03 12:02 PM

User image

Brooklyn, New York
Goodness, don't mention what the presta valve expel of air upon removal of pump attachment does to my ocd lol
2015-04-03 12:05 PM
in reply to: TankBoy

User image

Brooklyn, New York
Originally posted by TankBoy

Most likely in your head, but by definition the placebo effect is as good the real-deal. a 5lb psi difference IS measurable in AeroLab, however, and well-worth figuring out what works best for you with your particular weight and setup. That said though I would be very surprised to find that any of my various floor pump gauges were accurate to withing 5lbs of each other....

Safe to say then that as long as I read the same floor pump gauge, use that #, go with what feels right for my weight and style, all within reasonable psi ranges. That + some psycho therapy lol
2015-04-03 1:37 PM

User image

Originally posted by TJHammer Goodness, don't mention what the presta valve expel of air upon removal of pump attachment does to my ocd lol

That's not air coming out of your tube, that's air pressure being released from the hose of your floor pump.  If you ever tried using a mini hand pump (no hose), you'll notice that you don't get nearly as much of a sound of air pressure being released.

2015-04-03 1:50 PM

User image

Originally posted by 3mar I read that Conti GP4000's don't lose a lot of rolling resistance between 90-is up to 120, so if that's what you're running, according to the data I've seen, it shouldn't matter too much.

Where did you read this?  I'm interested in looking up the source.

Ideal tire pressure is going to vary based on the weight of the rider, the quality of the road surface, and the amount total air volume the tire and rim well can accommodate.  

The heavier the rider, the more tire pressure is going to be needed.  Someone who weighs 115 pounds is likely not going to enjoy the ride on 120 psi, especially when trying to corner as they don't have enough weight to properly displace the tire in such a way that it was designed to roll.

The poorer the road surface, the less pressure you're also going to want.  It's a balance between not pinch flatting, but I suspect the source you read suggesting there is no difference between 90-120 psi was making that comment assuming very nice roads.  Because that's generally true for your average sized rider (140-170 pounds).  If the road is so smooth that your tire does not need to absorb imperfections in the road, then having more or less pressure won't be a penalty.

The new wider rims and wider tires, can allow you to get a  pretty firm tire on lower psi.  Think of it like your car tires...do you air them up to 100 psi?  Despite carrying a couple thousand pounds of weight, they are still pretty firm even at say 30 psi right?  Same goes with mountain bike tires and such.  They hold more air volume, so higher psi isn't required.

But back to the original question...can *I* tell the difference.  Yes, I can.  Maybe not 5 psi, but certainly 10.  If I run my 23 mm GP4000s tires right at 90 psi, I'm usually a pretty happy camper on the roads I ride on.  If I pump them up to 100 psi...I can tell the bike tends to hop a bit more over rough surfaces.  80 psi and I'm getting a little close to pinch flat territory, but sometimes I'll risk it if it's wet and I know I'll be doing some cornering.  I've tried running at 1105-110 psi and it was the absolute worst experience ever on my typical roads.  When riding on silky smooth roads like the Queen K in Kona...perfectly fine though.

2015-04-03 3:35 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by Jason N

Originally posted by 3mar I read that Conti GP4000's don't lose a lot of rolling resistance between 90-is up to 120, so if that's what you're running, according to the data I've seen, it shouldn't matter too much.

Where did you read this?  I'm interested in looking up the source.

Ideal tire pressure is going to vary based on the weight of the rider, the quality of the road surface, and the amount total air volume the tire and rim well can accommodate.  

The heavier the rider, the more tire pressure is going to be needed.  Someone who weighs 115 pounds is likely not going to enjoy the ride on 120 psi, especially when trying to corner as they don't have enough weight to properly displace the tire in such a way that it was designed to roll.

The poorer the road surface, the less pressure you're also going to want.  It's a balance between not pinch flatting, but I suspect the source you read suggesting there is no difference between 90-120 psi was making that comment assuming very nice roads.  Because that's generally true for your average sized rider (140-170 pounds).  If the road is so smooth that your tire does not need to absorb imperfections in the road, then having more or less pressure won't be a penalty.

The new wider rims and wider tires, can allow you to get a  pretty firm tire on lower psi.  Think of it like your car tires...do you air them up to 100 psi?  Despite carrying a couple thousand pounds of weight, they are still pretty firm even at say 30 psi right?  Same goes with mountain bike tires and such.  They hold more air volume, so higher psi isn't required.

But back to the original question...can *I* tell the difference.  Yes, I can.  Maybe not 5 psi, but certainly 10.  If I run my 23 mm GP4000s tires right at 90 psi, I'm usually a pretty happy camper on the roads I ride on.  If I pump them up to 100 psi...I can tell the bike tends to hop a bit more over rough surfaces.  80 psi and I'm getting a little close to pinch flat territory, but sometimes I'll risk it if it's wet and I know I'll be doing some cornering.  I've tried running at 1105-110 psi and it was the absolute worst experience ever on my typical roads.  When riding on silky smooth roads like the Queen K in Kona...perfectly fine though.

Here is the link. I may have interpreted it wrong, but at the end is says something about being at 80 psi and only having negligible rolling resistance increases.

http://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/road-bike-reviews/continent...
2015-04-03 5:50 PM

User image

Yeah, my guess is that test was done on some type of stationary roller that is perfectly smooth.  So it's not surprising that 120 psi tested the fastest as far as rolling resistance given those assumed circumstances.  Unfortunately, we don't ride or race on rollers outdoors in the real world, so the optimal tire pressure for speed is going to vary based on the factors I listed earlier.  Also note that they were using a 17 mm wide rim, which is on the narrow side for today's standards.  So 120 psi for that tire on that rim will not feel as firm as the same tire on a 23-25 mm rim.  A 25 mm tire on a 25 mm rim, pumped up to 120 psi will be hard as a rock...and it will ride that way too as your wheels hop over every little pebble on the road.

2015-04-03 6:14 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Brooklyn, New York
Jason, that "worst ever" type experience of a ride is where I still don't trust myself, maybe I am a glutton for punishment, next time out, I'll hear some of your voices whispering in my ear - "this ride can be softer..this ride...." lol

Whatever I have played with in terms of psi on these Conti 25's is still softer an experience than the Giant R3 and PSL1 23mm I was running. All on 21mm outer width rims.
I think (at risk of still sounding noobish) that for some of us less seasoned cyclists, knowing what's hard enough and what's just too hard and hoppy could be difficult to evaluate. Not like I'm hitting cracks in tarmac and losing all control. It's like comparing people's pain tolerance levels

What was your riding weight again Jason? Gives me a little more to compare
Thanks again for the help and patience you guys

*Omar, the wife and I still planning to hit the Keys some time in August. You can clean up my swim technique

Edited by TJHammer 2015-04-03 6:17 PM
2015-04-03 6:30 PM

User image

I'm usually around 150-160, but again, I need to qualify that most of the roads I ride on are not that great in quality.  Those riding on really smooth and well swept asphalt likely will not see much difference between 90 and 110 psi...assuming 90 psi is okay for your weight.

I still remember one TT where I pumped up to 120 psi on roads that were somewhat rough.  My teeth were chattering almost the whole way and my front wheel was constantly bouncing.

I've put in a lot of miles on my bike (over 35k in the past 5.5 years)...so I've had plenty of time to experiment.  I will admit that when I first started, I would not pump up to anything less than 110 psi.  Then slowly I came down to 105...then 100...and now I sit at right around 90.  

2015-04-04 3:23 PM

User image

Elite
Ontario

To add to Jason's point - road conditions and your weight should always be key factors.  Like Jason I'm usually around 155 lbs, and a typical bike ride for me is around 95-100 psi.  Rough roads during a race and I've gone down to 85 to improve the rolling resistance and my speed.  On the trainer, I'm always at 120.

2015-04-06 8:20 AM

User image

Exton, PA
Rider weight, road quality, tires, and tubes all are factors to consider along with pressure.

You are on 25mm tires so your pressure should be lower than some of same weight on 23mm tires.

I ride on 23mm conti's with me front tire at 95 and my rear at 105( weight varies from 160(race) to 175(winter fat)). Pump your tires before you leave for your ride, it takes all of about 3 mins. Pumping up the night before leaves you guessing as to what your actually riding on.

http://www.bikequarterly.com/images/TireDrop.pdf

Here is an article on tire pressure with some charts, it's a good starting point.

Most people pump up too much, years ago when I started I was pumping to 110-115.
2015-04-06 8:40 AM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

[  When riding on silky smooth roads like the Queen K in Kona...perfectly fine though.

Aaaahhhh.... Maybe some day.    (not giving you a hard time, btw - it was great following your journey there!)

My tuppence.  I'm b/w 160 and 165 pounds and have been riding tubies on my tri bike and clinchers on my roadie.  Tri bike are GP4000s on race wheels (Sub-9 disc and 808 front) and Gatorskins on my daily wheels (808 rear, 404 front).  I can definitely tell the difference in about 10 pound increments.

When I first got the tri bike and tubies, I'd been riding my roadie at about 115-120, no matter the conditions (!), and "heard" that tubies could go to 130 no problem and that I "should" run them there and that it would be "better" to do so (faster, no pinch flats, etc.).  So much for tribal knowledge from that LBS...  I thought I was going to jar my molars loose for about 3 months!

Jason and a few others here (and elsewhere, but not that LBS!) were then kind enough to educate me around this, as the ride became less fun.  I now ride my tubies between 90 and 110, depending on road conditions.  Definitely feel the difference and am just as fast over the same courses at the same W as at 130 psi (probably faster, safer and more comfortable if I get the pressure right).

This is one of those little things in the sport that took me a while to tumble to, but one of the reasons why I love tri.  Getting to be a newbie for years at three different sports means there's lots to learn and improve on, season in and season out!

Matt

2015-04-06 3:00 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

[  When riding on silky smooth roads like the Queen K in Kona...perfectly fine though.

Aaaahhhh.... Maybe some day.    (not giving you a hard time, btw - it was great following your journey there!)

Ya know...it is a public road.  Anyone can ride there.  It's not something like Augusta National we're talking about.  

2015-04-06 4:30 PM

in terms of sensitivity to small changes in pressure, I doubt you'd be able to tell if you didn't check them before you ride. However, as has been mentioned, the placebo effect is real so if you believe it makes a difference it probably does to you on that ride on that day!

For training rides, I usual check they feel about right and get on with it. I always ride conti gatorskins during training which may or may not matter in terms of pressure. I don't get pinch flats once the tubes are in and inflated and I don't think I could over-inflate with my track pump although with some that would easily be possible.

For racing I use ultremo zx (I think that's right) and inflate to between 110 and 120 psi unless it's particularly wet/greasy.

I weigh 107kg and the roads around here are awful, if that makes a difference.
2015-04-06 6:39 PM

User image

Brooklyn, New York
*I always pump before I head out. Thanks for the input guys. Why is it such a hard thing for a noob to resist lowering tire pressure? Funny phenomenon
I rode a route today that had some nice winding speedy quality tarmac segments, which I loved hitting with the tire pressure I was riding. Then I went through some rougher segments through some tarmac (choppy though) trails. * I think I lost a filling! Had I known it'd been that way I definitely would've reduced at least 5 psi. But it was a great feedback in the moment between road qualities over distances on the same ride. Going to run those same pressures on the routes I hit more often locally and compare how I feel.

Edited by TJHammer 2015-04-06 6:40 PM

2015-04-07 12:11 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Ya know...it is a public road.  Anyone can ride there.  It's not something like Augusta National we're talking about.  

Fair enough!  In that case, I am officially giving you a hard time - for living in paradise. 

Follow on question for the group.  Should I think about tire pressure differently for my clinchers than I do for my tubies?

Matt

2015-04-07 2:12 PM

User image

Follow on question for the group.  Should I think about tire pressure differently for my clinchers than I do for my tubies?

Matt

You can't pinch flat a tubular, so in that sense, you have the option to run a lot lower pressure if the conditions call for it.  Of course you don't want to run such a low pressure that you can bottom out the rim and cause damage there.

Here's an interesting article on tires (all tubulars) and tire pressures used for varying teams during cobbled races.  Most of these guys racing cobbled classics are not your rail thin climbing physique either.  They typically average 155-180 pounds...or similar to your average Joe age grouper.

There are some pro teams that will use clincher rims/tires for normal road stages or time trials, but you will see nothing but tubulars for rougher stages or classics.  Same goes for cyclocross at the highest end of competition.

Edited by Jason N 2015-04-07 2:13 PM
2015-04-07 4:06 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Matt

You can't pinch flat a tubular, so in that sense, you have the option to run a lot lower pressure if the conditions call for it.  Of course you don't want to run such a low pressure that you can bottom out the rim and cause damage there.

Here's an interesting article on tires (all tubulars) and tire pressures used for varying teams during cobbled races.  Most of these guys racing cobbled classics are not your rail thin climbing physique either.  They typically average 155-180 pounds...or similar to your average Joe age grouper.

There are some pro teams that will use clincher rims/tires for normal road stages or time trials, but you will see nothing but tubulars for rougher stages or classics.  Same goes for cyclocross at the highest end of competition.

Interesting indeed.  Even a bit lower than I expected for the pave.  Thanks.

2015-04-08 9:19 AM

User image

Katy, Texas
I've got a slightly off topic question; do latex tubes lose pressure faster than butyl? I recently switched and noticed that it would appear* that my pressure is dropping off much more between rides than when I was using butyl. I put the (*) there because I now use valve extenders, so I never get a direct read on the pressure. When I pump, the needle rises to the pressure needed to open the presta valve (which should be pretty close to the pressure in the tire, but slightly higher) then drops when the presta closes to the pressure in the space within the extender and the air in the pump hose. So I get a quick glimpse of the pressure in the tire at each pump, but it's not at all like before where I got a static reading. So am I indeed getting a pressure drop or is it due to the mechanics of pumping with extenders that I think I do?
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » psi sensitivity Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Persistent Tooth Sensitivity after Swimming

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 1131 Posts: 7

2014-03-14 3:03 PM Sidney Porter

The flip turn and chemical sensitivity combo thread

Started by mrbbrad
Views: 1554 Posts: 6

2011-07-08 3:01 PM tuwood

Teeth sensitivity after swimming

Started by sarahswhere
Views: 1528 Posts: 4

2010-12-08 8:53 PM Oldteen

PSI question

Started by jimmyb
Views: 1160 Posts: 6

2008-06-25 11:24 AM run4yrlif

Easiest way to inflate tires to max PSI? Pages: 1 2

Started by wendypow
Views: 2090 Posts: 35

2007-06-09 8:35 PM tri_again
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 28, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
Are you an athlete with celiac disease or have gluten sensitivity or intolerance? Find out the symptoms and learn how to eat gluten free.