General Discussion Race Reports! » Prospect Park Spring Duathlon - Sprint Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Prospect Park Spring Duathlon - Sprint - Duathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Brooklyn, New York
United States
CityTri
40F / 4C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 10m 10s
Overall Rank = 1/35
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 0/N/A
Pre-race routine:

Stand around getting soaked trying not to freeze. Prior to that, 530 am breakfast, 745 about 3/4 of a MRP bar
Event warmup:

Strides and 1/2 mile jog out. More annoying was the fact that the warm up was getting my race sneakers wet (which I preferred to start the race dry)
Run
  • 14m 17s
  • 2 miles
  • 07m 08s  min/mile
Comments:

Opening run was fine, the elements were in my head, so I was cautiously running to not over do a pace that would do me in. Couldv'e run faster, but happy with the way I handled it
What would you do differently?:

Nothing under the conditions
Transition 1
  • 04m 2s
Comments:

I got into T1, SOAKED and with cold and freezing hands inside soaked gloves. I wanted to put helmet on and change jacket, but I had such decreased dexterity that my hands were all but useless and this transition took FOREVER!

Stay home on such a wet cold day? lol
If not, go with smaller gloves on run, take em off immediately and attempt barehanded.
Wear the same jacket throughout event, preferably one little heavier and waterproof so I don't become an icicle on the bike - which was a serious worry in T1 for me. I really do hate the cold
Bike
  • 32m 34s
  • 10.13 miles
  • 18.66 mile/hr
Comments:

Cold, drenched ride. Did go hard because of how pissed I was from that horrible T1. Eyewear got a little foggy and was obviously wet. Fortunately I know the park so I was willing to go hard. Dry conditions I would expect average speed over 20mph

Hydrate on the ride and get some salt in before the run. My hammies and calves are prone to cramping and with that cold weather stiffness it hits when coming off the bike
Transition 2
  • 02m 35s
Comments:

I was walking/jogging bike back to the rack in total mud. You could hear the squishing around with each step
Run
  • 16m 18s
  • 2 miles
  • 08m 09s  min/mile
Comments:

As previously mentioned, it was cold, stiff calf crampiness with mud stuck all over running shoes. Took maybe 1/4 mile for extra salt and water to kick in and for me to loosen back up. First mile was a dismal 8.30 pace, second part was in the 7.30 range. Did I mention I hate the cold?

Pray for better weather
Post race
Warm down:

Get dry, stretch, try to STAY DRY

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Cold wet conditions, insufficient electrolyte and water ingestion (timing). That T1 still stuck in my head until the next du

Event comments:

The race has had it's better days and better turnouts. Overall, attendance was down some 70% because of that weather. Made finishing top pretty easy. At least I was rewarded for braving those nasty elements. I was hoping for a sub 1.06.00. Dry and warmer definitely

Last updated: 2015-04-02 12:00 AM
Running
00:14:17 | 02 miles | 07m 08s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/N/A
Overall: 3/35
Performance: Average
Course: Baby 75' hill, other than that, wet, cold run
Keeping cool Drinking
T1
Time: 04:02
Overall: Bad
Run with bike? Below average
Jump on bike? Average
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Good
Biking
00:32:34 | 10.13 miles | 18.66 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/N/A
Overall: 1/35
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: It's a park route with a 175' hill, a common course for training here in NY. The North end was a bit windy with cold rain in the face.
Road:  Wet Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:35
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:16:18 | 02 miles | 08m 09s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/N/A
Overall: 1/35
Performance: Below average
Course: Same
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2015-04-10 7:55 AM

User image

Brooklyn, New York
Subject: Prospect Park Spring Duathlon - Sprint
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Prospect Park Spring Duathlon - Sprint Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Prospect Park Spring Duathlon

Started by artiwhit20
Views: 688 Posts: 1

2011-04-10 6:07 PM artiwhit20

Prospect Park Spring Duathlon - Classic Distance

Started by pbwillis
Views: 731 Posts: 1

2011-03-21 2:04 PM pbwillis

Started by thirai
Views: 843 Posts: 1

2011-03-20 3:24 PM thirai

Started by rosskaff
Views: 851 Posts: 1

2010-03-20 3:44 PM rosskaff

Brooklyn Duathlon - Prospect Park

Started by jmk-brooklyn
Views: 1553 Posts: 4

2007-04-23 1:20 PM elheffe99
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 22, 2011
author : shaunjamison
comments : 1
Ups and downs race report from the Lakes to Pines Sprint Triathlon by a master's aged newbie.

date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
comments : 0
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).
date : January 1, 2008
author : Team BT
Complete course preview of the Philadelphia Women's Only Triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a Duathlon race. Mark your calendars!

date : October 30, 2005
author : mikericci
comments : 1
This program should be used for an athlete who is new to duathlon and their goal is to complete a sprint duathlon without difficulty. The schedule consists of 3 workouts per week in each sport.
date : April 17, 2005
author : AMSSM
Training in the cold can be effective and fun with some planning. Overall, prepare for the environment, stay hydrated and dry, listen to your body and have a great safe cold weather outing.

date : September 1, 2004
author : AskMrsBT
"I was wondering if this is a sensible approach? Should I get "better" on short distance and then move to something longer or do what I want if I feel I can do it whatever the time?"
date : August 31, 2004
author : smeeko
Bricks refer to training on two disciplines during the same workout.