Canadian Triathlon Forum British Columbia » Oliver Triathlon 2015 Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
2015-04-12 8:49 PM

User image

New user
Surrey, British Columbia
Subject: Oliver Triathlon 2015
Hey Guys, did anyone do the Oliver Triathlon Event last year? Was it well organized and a good race? I'm thinking of signing up for the sprint distance, and would be visiting from Vancouver. It's run by Dynamic Race Events who also host the Cultus Triathlon....I've heard mixed reviews about their race organization.

Thanks for your input

2015-04-13 10:58 PM
in reply to: RunnyBunny

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Subject: RE: Oliver Triathlon 2015

Hi RunnyBunny,

I haven't done the Oliver races yet (I'm signed up for the Oliver 1/54/10, June 7th and living in Penticton we often s/b/r the Oliver routes).  I've also done the Cultus Lake Oly the last two years.  As Outback Events, Joe was having a bit of trouble keeping things together but still he does a good job and I'm looking forward to this race.  I think he has things working better so this year should be pretty decent.  I think the change to Dynamic Race Events was to signify he's got things under control again.

Tuc el Nuit should hopefully be warming up and last year we were swimming in the lake by May 18th.  I'm hoping for the same thing this year.  It's not the nicest lake but it isn't too bad and the sprint race is along the south shore and is fairly shallow.  I'm not sure of the sprint bike route but it is fairly rolling hills not too big (unless you have to go up Black Sage Rd).  The run is uphill to start but nothing steep.

2015-04-14 12:50 PM
in reply to: wenceslasz

User image

New user
Surrey, British Columbia
Thanks for the info!

I'm going to be registering for the Vancouver Olympic for sure and looking for sprints to start out the season. 3 lakes has a good looking series which has now incorporated peachland. Peachland looks nice, just not familiar with North Narmata Rd.

Now I need to start training!
2015-04-14 10:22 PM
in reply to: RunnyBunny

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

The "Three Lakes" races are just new this year but the Peach Classic Triathlon is a long run and well organized race.  You should have a lot of fun with it.  I haven't done it yet because I usually have other races at the same time.  A lady I often swim with does the Oly every year and loves it.

The swim is in shallow and quite clear (sandy bottom - NO weeds) water (mostly waist to shoulders deep). (great for your family if you have kids).

The bike is not too bad if you're comfortable with rolling hills.  Very shortly after the start of your ride you come to the Vancouver St hill.  It's short and steep - if you can drive up for a day and ride it a few times to get used to it - it wouldn't be a bad idea.  Check Youtube for videos of the Granfondo to see if they show any of the views of the hill.  Riding out to Naramata Rd is beautiful views and lots of hills.  Everything is easy after Vancouver St.  Don't worry about N. Naramata Rd it will be well marked and the road is in pretty good condition.

The Run - Takes you right back up Vancouver St. hill - quite a slow hard stretch then out the KVR trail then turnaround and back to the hill and down it.

You should have a good time.  Sounds like you are somewhat familiar with the area but if you think of any questions let me know.

2015-04-18 3:29 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I`ve been considering one of the Oliver events for a mid season tri, but have been a little unsure with some of the OutBack events issues from a couple years back.

It does sound like the races are still going, and with the new name it might be a signal that things are under better control now which would be great cause I heard great things about these races!!

For now I`ve got my season opener in 2 weeks, the Cherry Blossom Sprint triathlon in Kelowna!
2015-06-03 1:15 PM
in reply to: dfquigley

User image

Originally posted by dfquigley

I`ve been considering one of the Oliver events for a mid season tri, but have been a little unsure with some of the OutBack events issues from a couple years back.

It does sound like the races are still going, and with the new name it might be a signal that things are under better control now which would be great cause I heard great things about these races!!

For now I`ve got my season opener in 2 weeks, the Cherry Blossom Sprint triathlon in Kelowna!

i'm going to check this race out. are you still thinking of going? I might see you there! i'm doing the sprint

2015-06-03 8:55 PM
in reply to: madprops

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

Madprops,

I will be racing Sunday morning.  Nothing dramatic, I'll be BOP but I still have fun.  I am going to see about volunteering on Saturday so I may see you.  Just look for a bearded old guy (kind of like Papa Smurf).

If I don't see you, Have a good race and time.

2015-06-05 11:34 PM

User image

Originally posted by wenceslasz

Madprops,

I will be racing Sunday morning.  Nothing dramatic, I'll be BOP but I still have fun.  I am going to see about volunteering on Saturday so I may see you.  Just look for a bearded old guy (kind of like Papa Smurf).

If I don't see you, Have a good race and time.

If you see me come up and say hi! I will be the only black guy riding a slice a bell javelin helmet..... that's how my friends spot me.... and they don't know what a slice or a bell javelin helmet are haha.

I hang out for a long time after the races and with any luck i might make top 3 in 30-34 but that age always seems to be stacked. Good luck in your race! ill be doing the sprint. no half's for me for another two years :-)
2015-06-06 11:53 PM
in reply to: madprops

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

Madprops, I have no idea what your helmet is like either.  I forgot about you being there today but we probably crossed paths this morning.  I volunteered to do body marking so I probably marked your arms.  I marked about 90% of the athletes today.  I was the older fellow with a beard.

How was your swim today.  The water sure was warm.

I hope you had a good time.

2015-06-07 2:49 AM

Veteran
Surrey, BC
Can somebody, if anyone here, that did the Oly on Saturday please confirm the bike distance they recorded.

Race website states 40km, athlete guide states 38km, and my garmin recorded 34.5km.

2015-06-07 9:36 PM
in reply to: Lukasz

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

Hi Lukasz,

A couple years ago I rode the 40K loop of the Oli Oly and my bike computer measured 40K.  Today I did the 1/54/10 and the bike route includes the 40K loop and the 14K short loop.  My new bike computer says 53km and my friend's says 53.6km.  

I'm not sure why there is so much variation in measurements when they are supposed to be reasonably accurate and repeatable.

2015-06-07 10:46 PM
in reply to: 0

Veteran
Surrey, BC
Thanks.

Unfortunately, this year the Olympic wasn't on the single loop course like it was in past years. It was 2 loops of the Sprint course. I think they were trying to avoid having to close down some of the busier main roads/intersections for 2 consecutive days, therefor they left the spring/olympic to the back roads, which is completely understandable.

I created the loop on mapmyrun.com just to double check and I believe they shorted the olympic course by either 5.5km or 3.5km depending on which course distance you look at, race website or athlete guide. Looks like the Garmin is right.

http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/738379897

Oh well, it is what it is. Was just wanting to compare it to my previous years results, but I guess with a new course it's hard to compare anyways.
Either way, it's a great race venue as always.

Edited by Lukasz 2015-06-07 10:47 PM
2015-06-08 11:31 PM
in reply to: Lukasz

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

Oops!  Right.  I did know that I just forgot.  You'd think in this age of GPS it would be a relatively simple job to get the routes within metres of the promised distance. 

Just as an aside.  My bike computer over two years (and 2 different computers) measured the Cultus Lake bike route as 35.8km.

New Thread
Canadian Triathlon Forum British Columbia » Oliver Triathlon 2015 Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Three lakes triathlon series 2015

Started by RunnyBunny
Views: 1469 Posts: 6

2015-01-21 11:13 PM dfquigley

Oliver 1/2IM clothing

Started by peby
Views: 1074 Posts: 12

2008-04-22 7:11 PM DrLeah

Oliver/Osoyoos races