General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Quick bike question and Triathlon Question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-08-25 1:48 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Geneva, Illinois
Subject: Quick bike question and Triathlon Question
Hey everyone,

Just wondering if I should do something about the height of my headset of my bike a couple days before the race....For some reason, I think it has dropped a centimeter or two and I am feeling like I am too hunched over and I'm having some back soreness when I ride. Is it too risky to mess around with the height right before the race? (I'm doing the Chicago Oly distance tri this Sunday.)

Just wondering...it wouldn't be a profound change to my bike, but a change, nonetheless...

Thanks!

2006-08-25 1:50 PM
in reply to: #522125

Pro
Andover
Subject: RE: Quick bike question and Triathlon Question
If it were me, and seeing as though it is uncomfortable the way it is now, I'd raise it.

Good luck!
2006-08-25 1:55 PM

User image

Veteran
Denver, Colorado
I would say it depends on how long you have been riding that way.  If you think they just recently dropped you should not have a problem raising them to where they were.  If they have been that way for quite awhile then raising them my cause your pain as well.  The bottom line would be that if you can't go with the way they are now you will have to change them.
2006-08-25 2:01 PM
in reply to: #522137

User image

Extreme Veteran
Geneva, Illinois
Ok, great advice...I just don't want to break the number one rule of tri's..."Don't change equipment right before a race..."

I'm guessing that I'll be ok.

Is there a trick to raising the headgear? I've never really done that before. I am thinking all I need is an allen wrench and just loosen the headset and raise it and center it...right????

Thanks, all!

2006-08-25 3:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Horse Country
(I assume you're talking about the height of your handlebars (a.k.a. stem angle), since the headset is actually the bearing set around the head tube on your frame, and can't move up or down at all...)

Woah. Wait a minute... Bars don't just mysteriously drop... unless you've got an adjustable stem that's loose...

So, assuming you didn't do it yourself, either (a) somebody adjusted it for you and you should remember how long ago that was, (b) it's been that way all along, (c) you DO have an adjustable stem and it's loose and slipping on you, or (d) you've got a SERIOUS equipment malfunction...

Do you know whether it's an adjustable stem? They usually have what looks like a big elbow joint right in front of where they attach to the steerer tube on the fork. If it is, and it has "mysteriously" slipped down on you, it may just need to be moved back up and tightened. If it isn't adjustable, and it has "mysteriously" moved on you, you may have some real problems.

Adjustable stem: http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=20044&subcatego...

Non-adjustable stem: http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=14768&subcatego...

Either way, this close to a major race, i'd get a trusted wrench to look at it.

If you think you can make the 40K in reasonable comfort I wouldn't make more than a very small adjustment this close to the race.
2006-08-25 6:10 PM
in reply to: #522150

New user
Los Angeles, CA
nuorder - 2006-08-25 12:01 PM
Is there a trick to raising the headgear? I've never really done that before. I am thinking all I need is an allen wrench and just loosen the headset and raise it and center it...right????

It depends on whether you have a threaded headset or a threadless headset...

If it is a threaded headset, then your stem should look something like this. With a threaded headset, handlebar height can be adjusted by raising or lowering the stem. Loosen the allen bolt on the top of the stem (which runs down into the head tube), adjust the stem height, center the handlebars, and retighten the bolt.

If you have a threadless headset, then as BGTwinDad noted, you likely have an adjustable stem. I've never used one, but from the photo, it looks like you loosen the allen bolt, adjust the stem angle, and tighten.

If you have a threadless headset with a standard, non-adjustable stem, then as BGTwinDad noted, the stem could not have just slipped down (as the height is controlled by the spacers on the steerer tube. It would be possible that the bolt(s) on the front of the stem loosened, allowing the handlebars to rotate forward. This would put the brake hoods lower and/or further forward.

If you do make any changes, try to get a decent ride in before your tri to make sure that you are happy with the adjustments. And as always, if you aren't comfortable doing the wrenching yourself, it may be best to have your LBS look at it (or at least talk you through it so you can learn).

Edited by MCH13 2006-08-25 6:11 PM

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Quick bike question and Triathlon Question Rss Feed