General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Well Here Goes Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-04-22 11:36 AM

Subject: Well Here Goes
Hi all,

Found this site a few days ago and cant believe all the valuable info that is available here. Signing up for a bronze membership later and then choosing my first Triathlon to attempt for the back end of summer. I am quite a fit and healthy 38 year old fella and was looking for a new challenge and ended up here. Been road cycling for about two years and can average about 18MPH and run pace is 7.45m but as for swimming i sink so here is hoping following one of the training plans that improves in the near future.

Mike

2015-04-22 1:01 PM
in reply to: Mike38shaw

User image

Subject: RE: Well Here Goes
Hi Mike-

I sucked at the swim part of training when I started. It seems that lots of people (including me) think that if you can run fast or far, you'd have no problem with the swimming. I was SOOOO wrong. I could barely do 50 yards without being winded and had to stop for over a minute. I've been training for about 2 1/2 months now and can swim 1200 yards without stopping. (I do need to start focusing on speed now though). I don't know whether the progress that I made is considered slow progress or great progress, but I don't care...it's a huge accomplishment for me and that's all that matters to me. I'm not trying to compare myself to others. I guess what I'm trying to say is persistence pays off. Keep going and don't get frustrated. You WILL see a change!!

2015-04-22 2:32 PM
in reply to: #5109980

Thanks for the response, it's pleasing to know that others have found massive gains in the swimming area in such a short space of time. 2.5 months and 1200 yards is something I'd dream of right now ??
2015-04-22 9:46 PM
in reply to: Mike38shaw

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

Hi Mike,

Swimming is quite different from running or cycling.  It would be really helpful to you if you could get some personal coaching at your local pool.  The benefits of the coaching would far outweigh the cost and even following a good BT training program won't help you the way a coach can.  In the beginning there is just too much to learn all at once.  Ask around in your area to find a coach with a good reputation.

The hardest thing for me to learn when I first started swimming three years ago was to slow down.  Things really came together for me when I slowed down.  And, paradoxically, when I slowed down I swam faster (pretty slow compared to everyone else but faster for me).

Have fun in the pool.

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Well Here Goes Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Going to give it a go, can't wait!

Started by TheEnemyWithin
Views: 608 Posts: 2

2014-09-02 10:20 PM IndoIronYanti

Oh go on then...here I go?!?!?!?!?

Started by dwaugh
Views: 845 Posts: 3

2012-08-10 7:15 AM dwaugh

OK, here goes ... I'm going to do this

Started by surgeandsettle
Views: 1017 Posts: 5

2008-05-23 8:53 AM surgeandsettle

Injured but still going.. and going and going!

Started by jlessing
Views: 960 Posts: 5

2008-04-30 12:22 PM elheffe99

I think I"m actually going to go through with it!

Started by somarye77
Views: 645 Posts: 5

2006-02-19 6:20 AM RGRBILL
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 11, 2014
author : mikericci
comments : 0
Because I'm not that fast going slow is, well, really slow - especially when I'm trying to train by heart rate. It feels like I'm going backwards. Is this normal?

date : September 23, 2013
author : Jerrykyc
comments : 2
The cause of the sleeplessness could be anxiety to get out and compete but more often than not the inability to sleep is a fear of what might happen, of what might go bump out on the race course.
date : November 24, 2012
author : Scott Tinley
Do I swim an extra 1000 yards or show up on time to my son’s soccer game? Those small decisions become larger components in this emo/physio battle of decision and will. "Should I go pro?"

date : November 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
Feeling blah? Tempted to miss a workout? Here are some practices as well as on-the-spot tricks to get you into your workouts when you're just not feeling it.
date : February 10, 2011
author : Kyle Pawlaczyk
The backstory of becoming a pro, joining a team and working with sponsors

date : March 9, 2010
author : Nancy Clark
"I'm 'good' at breakfast and lunch, but after I get home from the gym at night, I end up devouring everything in sight. On weekends, my eating is even crazier." Sound familiar?
date : April 22, 2009
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
I got a new pair of the same size / brand of shoes and started running on them. On my left foot, the toe next to the big toe starts to get a little painful and goes numb after the first 1-3 miles.

date : October 22, 2008
author : Curt Chesney
What training do you do during your off season? Any advice on what to aim for? Should I focus on building a better base?