of 3

2015-04-26 6:01 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
Subject: RE: Why latex tubes?

Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by dfroelich https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/tqE9xf3IaFdH9x6P_OUV-7A/htmlv... Row 16, conti 4000s with latex, 31 watts at 40km/hour Row 48, conti 4000s with butyl, 39 watts at 40km/hour 4 watts per tube. Again, that is on perfectly smooth rollers. If anything, a rough road will be a bigger difference, but not less. DL or not, the watts are the same. You can of course argue that DL wattage won't be as smooth as TTing, but it still makes your kid go faster for same effort. I'd like to hear the justification that 9 watts for $20 isn't worth it.

Look, there is no way someone riding in a pack in a crit race or DL triathlon gets the same watt advantage as someone TT'ing just by using latex tubes......NO WAY.  (I'm saying no way from my experience watching A LOT of DL racing up to the very top level) Just show me some race numbers and I'll change my mind. 

And now it's 9 watts???  No.  But you can bet I'm going to be bending a lot of ears this weekend.....coaches, racers, etc.  We'll see.

Good discussion again......thanks.

I don't understand why you think riding in a pack would change the rolling resistance of the tire/tube?  It's obviously a very different race than a steady TT effort but any time he's applying power to the pedals he has to overcome that rolling resistance to achieve whatever speed he needs to ride in the pack.  The latex tubes just make the power required a little bit less.  The power savings go up with speed as well so one could argue the savings are even greater for him than someone in a regular Tri where speeds are lower.

2015-04-26 7:32 AM
in reply to: axteraa

Ok, thanks all for the input. A lot of these questions I am asking, like the Aero wheels thread is preparing for a.2016 race. I already have the contis 4000s. I used them in one race and about 100 miles of training. I picked up some gatorskins on vacation that are going on next week. The roads are bad here in Michigan, so for training I will switch.

I will buy the latex for a few bucks more, WTH. If nothing else if I think they will make me faster, maybe I will pedal faster

I am watching for some Flo 90/60 wheels long term. My immediate investment will probably be a power meter, maybe a Power2max or powertap C1...but that's another thread

Joe
2015-04-26 11:11 AM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Pro

Originally posted by axteraa

Originally posted by dfroelich https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/tqE9xf3IaFdH9x6P_OUV-7A/htmlv... Row 16, conti 4000s with latex, 31 watts at 40km/hour Row 48, conti 4000s with butyl, 39 watts at 40km/hour 4 watts per tube. Again, that is on perfectly smooth rollers. If anything, a rough road will be a bigger difference, but not less. DL or not, the watts are the same. You can of course argue that DL wattage won't be as smooth as TTing, but it still makes your kid go faster for same effort. I'd like to hear the justification that 9 watts for $20 isn't worth it.

Look, there is no way someone riding in a pack in a crit race or DL triathlon gets the same watt advantage as someone TT'ing just by using latex tubes......NO WAY.  (I'm saying no way from my experience watching A LOT of DL racing up to the very top level) Just show me some race numbers and I'll change my mind. 

And now it's 9 watts???  No.  But you can bet I'm going to be bending a lot of ears this weekend.....coaches, racers, etc.  We'll see.

I don't understand why you think riding in a pack would change the rolling resistance of the tire/tube?  It's obviously a very different race than a steady TT effort but any time he's applying power to the pedals he has to overcome that rolling resistance to achieve whatever speed he needs to ride in the pack.  The latex tubes just make the power required a little bit less.  The power savings go up with speed as well so one could argue the savings are even greater for him than someone in a regular Tri where speeds are lower.

Let's be honest here.....in a sprint race of roughly 25 minutes that is full of hell bent jumps and pack riding and maybe 20-30  90 or 180 degree turns......the power saved by latex tubes is not a little bit less......it's almost non-existent. 

And I'd be willing to bet that in real world applications....using average AG bikers even in a TT on a dead straight and flat road.....the resulting gain would be equally negligible. Hell, most people can't even ride in a straight line.

2015-04-26 11:42 AM

Master
Northern IL

Let's be honest here.....in a sprint race of roughly 25 minutes that is full of hell bent jumps and pack riding and maybe 20-30  90 or 180 degree turns......the power saved by latex tubes is not a little bit less......it's almost non-existent. 

And I'd be willing to bet that in real world applications....using average AG bikers even in a TT on a dead straight and flat road.....the resulting gain would be equally negligible. Hell, most people can't even ride in a straight line.

There are a number of things that have small, single digit gains that are cumulative. Add them together and the difference does become notable.

2015-04-26 2:40 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

Originally posted by brigby1

There are a number of things that have small, single digit gains that are cumulative. Add them together and the difference does become notable.

I think I'll mount up his race wheels with latex tubes after this race.....and we'll see what he thinks or if he even feels a difference.  I get the argument you guys are making, but I'm obviously skeptical about the trouble of dealing with them.....especially in a situation where they sit for a month between races, and the type of racing to be done on them. The possible gains just seem too small to care about. Does latex break down any more than butyl when left in the tires?  Do we need to take them out between races?  I've had them in my hand and just thought, no, this is not going to hold up over time and sure as hell he's going to end up flatted when it counts.  Plus I'm old......change is hard.

Edited by Left Brain 2015-04-26 2:42 PM
2015-04-26 7:02 PM

User image

Elite
Ontario

I put mine in a ziplock bag - some people add some baby/talc powder but I've never done so.  Using the same tubes for three seasons, but they only see use a half dozen times a year.

2015-04-26 7:24 PM

Master
, California

I think I'll mount up his race wheels with latex tubes after this race.....and we'll see what he thinks or if he even feels a difference.  I get the argument you guys are making, but I'm obviously skeptical about the trouble of dealing with them.....especially in a situation where they sit for a month between races, and the type of racing to be done on them. The possible gains just seem too small to care about. Does latex break down any more than butyl when left in the tires?  Do we need to take them out between races?  I've had them in my hand and just thought, no, this is not going to hold up over time and sure as hell he's going to end up flatted when it counts.  Plus I'm old......change is hard.

I will say this: latex tubes DO change the way a bike rides.  To me, it makes it more comfortable, like you're riding on slightly deflated tires.  They seem to dampen the road roughness.  You should definitely ride on them yourself and see what I mean.

The watts saved are small but measurable... good for draft-legal?  Maybe (if he's riding in a pack that has him at his limit).  But the change in ride quality is really helpful for me in distance races / IM because my arms and back get less fatigue, so it's easier to stay low as much as possible.

Edited by spudone 2015-04-26 7:25 PM
2015-04-26 7:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
think I'll mount up his race wheels with latex tubes after this race.....and we'll see what he thinks or if he even feels a difference.  I get the argument you guys are making, but I'm obviously skeptical about the trouble of dealing with them.....especially in a situation where they sit for a month between races, and the type of racing to be done on them. The possible gains just seem too small to care about. Does latex break down any more than butyl when left in the tires?  Do we need to take them out between races?  I've had them in my hand and just thought, no, this is not going to hold up over time and sure as hell he's going to end up flatted when it counts.  Plus I'm old......change is hard.

Do the math. How much did you pay for Firecrest 404s and how many watts do they save ?

I can guarantee your ROI will be many times greater with latex tubes.

People WAY overestimate the maintenance/burden of latex. If you can install an tube properly, you can install Latex tubes. The only downside is you have to top them off with the pump more often.

And for durability.....well, we know we trust latex on some pretty mission critical applications.
2015-04-27 9:47 AM
in reply to: #5110693

User image

Durham, North Carolina
@LB I haven't had time to finish reading everything so I'm sorry if I'm repeating what someone said. In a draft legal race pretend JR is following the group holding 100 watts with butyl tubes. I believe the data is saying in the same race drafting with latex tubes he would be holding 91-95 watts instead. That would just lead to less fatigue going into the run.

I don't know if that is worth $30 to you guys or even if that would lead to less fatigue or not. I don't know or use power so I can't comment on if it will help, but hopefully this helps you understand their points of view.
2015-04-27 10:33 AM
in reply to: Lupy

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

I understand LB's logic on this.  Either I'm going way above FTP in a road race or I'm coasting, so 8 watts doesn't seem like a big deal.  With that said, I am planning on trying latex for my omnium this weekend to see how it goes.

2015-04-27 10:50 AM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Exton, PA
I found a better test/comparison than I have seen in the past on the subject.

http://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/specials/schwalbe-one-tubel...

It uses same tire with different tubes at different pressures.

I ignore the test at 120psi because no one with a brain is riding at the psi on the road only if your a track rider.

So I look at the 100 psi mark which is where most of us hover around. Which shows the latex tubes have a .8 W advantage over the light butyls. So with both tires your talking about 1.6 W advantage. But the Light butyl setup is lighter so in a DL race( or hills) with some accelerations this may be more advantageous.

I've been using light butyls for about 5 years and never had any problems accept for the Michelins which all seemed to fail quickly. I 've stuck with the Forte lights and never had a problem. You can get 3 or 4 for the price of 1 latex tube.

http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1034765_-1...

2015-04-27 10:53 AM
in reply to: #5111110

User image

Durham, North Carolina
@mike761 why shouldn't we ride at 120 psi on the road? I thought that's what we're supposed to ride at?
2015-04-27 10:57 AM

User image

Exton, PA
Originally posted by Lupy

@mike761 why shouldn't we ride at 120 psi on the road? I thought that's what we're supposed to ride at?

Your joking right?

If not read this thread.
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

Edited by mike761 2015-04-27 11:01 AM
2015-04-27 11:52 AM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by msteiner

I understand LB's logic on this.  Either I'm going way above FTP in a road race or I'm coasting, so 8 watts doesn't seem like a big deal.  With that said, I am planning on trying latex for my omnium this weekend to see how it goes.

That 8 watts may be what allows you to hold someone's wheel or not.
It may be what allows you to bridge or not.
I may be what allows you to drop someone.

How long does it take to gain 8w on your FTP ?

$30 for 8 watts is a no brainer.
By Zipp's claims, 404 Firecrest are worth 27w. A third of that for $30.

Last year LB was looking to buy a Sub 9 disc for Jr. That saves 10watts over a 404 and costs $2000. You can get 8 of them for $30.

2015-04-27 12:19 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Pro

Originally posted by marcag

That 8 watts may be what allows you to hold someone's wheel or not. It may be what allows you to bridge or not. I may be what allows you to drop someone. How long does it take to gain 8w on your FTP ? $30 for 8 watts is a no brainer. By Zipp's claims, 404 Firecrest are worth 27w. A third of that for $30. Last year LB was looking to buy a Sub 9 disc for Jr. That saves 10watts over a 404 and costs $2000. You can get 8 of them for $30.

And that's why I think most of this stuff is quackery.

In a real world example I know what his TT time was with a disc and without a disc......and it's basically an average over 8 races......3 with and 5 without.  It wasn't even close.  He was nearly 1:30 minutes faster over 10 miles with the disc.  No, I didn't take into account wind or humidity or the price of tea in China....just an average of all the races.  I don't have a calculator, but I'm pretty damn sure 1.5 minutes over 10 miles is more than 10 watts.  In his only AG triathlon last year with a disc he absolutely crushed everyone in the bike leg (Chicago ITU)....he doesn't typically do that....he's usually top 1-2%, but never at the very top.  I'm sorry, but that's more than 10 watts.

Bikes are different, riders are different, races are different......we'll try latex....but the gains or losses will be what they are.....not what some test says they are.

2015-04-27 12:45 PM

Master
, California

That 8 watts may be what allows you to hold someone's wheel or not. It may be what allows you to bridge or not. I may be what allows you to drop someone. How long does it take to gain 8w on your FTP ? $30 for 8 watts is a no brainer. By Zipp's claims, 404 Firecrest are worth 27w. A third of that for $30. Last year LB was looking to buy a Sub 9 disc for Jr. That saves 10watts over a 404 and costs $2000. You can get 8 of them for $30.

In a real world example I know what his TT time was with a disc and without a disc......and it's basically an average over 8 races......3 with and 5 without.  It wasn't even close.  He was nearly 1:30 minutes faster over 10 miles with the disc.  No, I didn't take into account wind or humidity or the price of tea in China....just an average of all the races.  I don't have a calculator, but I'm pretty damn sure 1.5 minutes over 10 miles is more than 10 watts.  In his only AG triathlon last year with a disc he absolutely crushed everyone in the bike leg (Chicago ITU)....he doesn't typically do that....he's usually top 1-2%, but never at the very top.  I'm sorry, but that's more than 10 watts.

Bikes are different, riders are different, races are different......we'll try latex....but the gains or losses will be what they are.....not what some test says they are.

I was going to say, there's a simple solution for you LB...

Show him this thread and tell him if he wants to try them, he can cough up the $30 himself

2015-04-27 12:46 PM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

What's really 'quackery' is your 'analysis'.  You can try latex and decide you like them or not.  But the physics involved here is pretty solid--they will make the bike faster, all else equal.  And it's probably less complicated than with aerodynamics (note that not taking account wind speed and direction is part of what makes your 'analysis' akin to 'quackery').

2015-04-27 12:47 PM

Master
Northern IL

Not all races go exactly the same. Matt had one earlier this year he won by going for a solo break off the front with several laps to go, for example. Some races will be super spiky, some may have steadier sections within them. That won't happen so much in harder cat levels, but 3-4 guys going together maybe. Might also need more base level power just to hang with the faster packs too, even when they're not attacking.

2015-04-27 12:55 PM
in reply to: JohnnyKay

User image

Pro

Originally posted by JohnnyKay

What's really 'quackery' is your 'analysis'.  You can try latex and decide you like them or not.  But the physics involved here is pretty solid--they will make the bike faster, all else equal.  And it's probably less complicated than with aerodynamics (note that not taking account wind speed and direction is part of what makes your 'analysis' akin to 'quackery').

Yeah, it's the "all else equal" part that makes me laugh.

2015-04-27 1:32 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

You shouldn't laugh at the "all else being equal" statement.
There is a company called Alpha Mantis that does aero testing for the major pro teams including Trek. They do it on an indoor track in order to eliminate wind, keep temperature constant, no altitude changes etc. They try to keep "all things equal"

The physics are quite simple.

The power you generate goes to
A) overcoming gravity going up a hill
B) overcoming air restistance
C) overcoming rolling resistance

Any excess power results in acceleration. Any shortage results in deceleration

to make things simple, assume a flat course

If you are applying 200watts. If you need 150 to overcome air resistance, and 30 to overcome rolling resistance, you have an extra 20. Where does it go ? Acceleration. You start going faster. Slowly the power to overcome air resistance increase and acceleration slows down until you reach a constant speed.

If you are applying 100 watts, and need 150 to overcome air resistance and 30 to overcome rolling resistance, you have a deficit of 80. What happens ? You decelerate

Latex tubes reduce your rolling resistance. They are immune to temperature, wind speed, etc.

A disc, helmet, position.....all reduce air resistance and are VERY susceptible to temperature, baromtric pressure, wind etc. Wind is the biggest of course
Air temperature is quite big. Head wind is big. There are very specific onditions where a disc is huge, other where it is negligeable.
Latex tubes are constant.

It is EXTREMELY complex to keep all these factors in check to figure out where improvements can be found, which is exactly why these teams try to keep "all things equal" in a Velodrome. Do a google on AlphaMantis and what they are doing with the major pro teams.

On a less serious note, spend the 2k on the disc.

ignore the wind, ignore temperature, ignore humidty, ignore physics.

I think the sound of the woosh woosh is what makes you faster.

:-)

Edited by marcag 2015-04-27 1:42 PM
2015-04-27 1:52 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

I've have had the front latex tube in my old training/race wheel now for 4 years.  The rear was replaced last year with the cheap rim tape finally allowed the tube to find the weak point and it popped in the pin hole.  My new FLO race wheels have Veloplug's instead of using tape so that issue is gone.  I don't expect to replace the tubes until I get a flat. I haven't flatted as a result of road debris in 4 years of training/racing with latex tubes and GP4000's tires despite riding with people that have flatted.  I have been considering myself lucky in that regards, nothing else.

I see no hassle in using latex tubes over butyl tubes, I go through the same process when installing any tube.

2015-04-27 1:59 PM

Don't you hate it when science and data get in the way of feelings? By your logic and admission that your son only does DL racing, why don't you sell his race wheels, aero helmet, and power meter. After all, in a pack, according to you, they just don't really mean much. I'm 100% serious...if you really think that scientific data showing that latex saves you watts doesn't matter and that your, unscientific "feelings" are a better gauge, you should really consider applying it universally.

Watts measure the power your legs put into turning the pedals. Watts don't care if you are riding in a draft, riding downhill, or riding into a headwind. The fact remains that in order to move forward, you have to apply power to the pedals. To go a certain speed, lets say 20 mph, you have to apply X watts. If any outside factors change (headwind, draft, better tires or even, latex tubes) you will either have to apply more watts or fewer watts to maintain 20 mph. In this case, we are saying that the latex tubes have been show to reduce that power output of X-8. It doesn't matter where you are...the formula is still the same.
2015-04-27 2:01 PM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

You are continuing to miss the point.  See above.

2015-04-27 2:05 PM

User image

LB...serious question here.  What factors have led you to put GP4000S tires on Jr's race wheels instead of Gatorskins?  It seems like you are open to ignoring the physics of rolling resistance and independent testing when it comes to DL racing.  So why choose tires with improved rolling resistance and less flat protection if rolling resistance doesn't matter and flat protection can avoid the one thing that can ruin any given race?  Just trying to understand your logic here.

2015-04-27 2:08 PM

Master
Northern IL

You shouldn't laugh at the "all else being equal" statement. There is a company called Alpha Mantis that does aero testing for the major pro teams including Trek. They do it on an indoor track in order to eliminate wind, keep temperature constant, no altitude changes etc. They try to keep "all things equal" The physics are quite simple. The power you generate goes to A) overcoming gravity going up a hill B) overcoming air restistance C) overcoming rolling resistance Any excess power results in acceleration. Any shortage results in deceleration to make things simple, assume a flat course If you are applying 200watts. If you need 150 to overcome air resistance, and 30 to overcome rolling resistance, you have an extra 20. Where does it go ? Acceleration. You start going faster. Slowly the power to overcome air resistance increase and acceleration slows down until you reach a constant speed. If you are applying 100 watts, and need 150 to overcome air resistance and 30 to overcome rolling resistance, you have a deficit of 80. What happens ? You decelerate Latex tubes reduce your rolling resistance. They are immune to temperature, wind speed, etc. A disc, helmet, position.....all reduce air resistance and are VERY susceptible to temperature, baromtric pressure, wind etc. Wind is the biggest of course Air temperature is quite big. Head wind is big. There are very specific onditions where a disc is huge, other where it is negligeable. Latex tubes are constant. It is EXTREMELY complex to keep all these factors in check to figure out where improvements can be found, which is exactly why these teams try to keep "all things equal" in a Velodrome. Do a google on AlphaMantis and what they are doing with the major pro teams. On a less serious note, spend the 2k on the disc. ignore the wind, ignore temperature, ignore humidty, ignore physics. I think the sound of the woosh woosh is what makes you faster. :-)

Another less serious note could be phrasing it as AlphaMantis being one of "the fast kids" when it comes to applying physics here.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Why latex tubes? Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

New tires and tubes or just latex tubes?

Started by natethomas2000
Views: 1512 Posts: 9

2011-08-05 1:19 PM the bear

Latex Tubes

Started by crazyquick23
Views: 1606 Posts: 8

2010-06-03 4:27 PM tri808

Latex tubes and CO2

Started by marcag
Views: 6729 Posts: 11

2010-05-05 9:11 PM running2far

Latex Inner Tube - worth the extra dollars?

Started by GoFaster
Views: 10089 Posts: 10

2009-04-03 11:53 AM qrkid

Latex tubes?

Started by run4yrlif
Views: 1878 Posts: 5

2008-01-16 5:07 PM amiine
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 15, 2013
author : writingrunner
comments : 1
The science behind the reasons that triathlons make us feel so good.

date : January 9, 2010
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
Does a degree or two difference between two frames(head and/or seat tube) really make that much of a difference when it comes to fit?
date : September 6, 2006
author : Valdora Cycles
comments : 2
It depends on your preference and what's important to you. I'll list some of the beliefs that are out there and comment on a few.

date : September 10, 2004
author : steve
comments : 0
The reason that I wanted to complete a triathlon is because I was watching one on TV and said to myself, "I'll bet I can do one of those".