General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » New to Triathlon living in UK Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-05-10 3:02 AM

Subject: New to Triathlon living in UK
Hi everyone, I am Emma, 45 and never done a triathlon.I was just after some inspiration really. I'm totally new to all this, triathlon stuff, well exercise in general really, and reading this Im not sure what on earth has possessed me to even think I can complete one. I'm not that fit and don't know if Im too late to start training?
Any advice would be grateful.

Edited by Emmajd 2015-05-10 3:04 AM

2015-05-10 9:27 PM
in reply to: Emmajd

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Subject: RE: New to Triathlon living in UK

Hi Emma, and welcome to BT.  You will find this site to be inspirational and supportive.  I've been on BT for a while and I'm always amazed at how helpful everyone is.

Don't be afraid to train and race.  There is a lot to learn but it is something you can definitely do.  I'm considerably older than you and I only started exercising - Yikes! - four years ago.  Yesterday, I found myself cycling up a local mountain and on the way up I was passed by a 78 yr old Brit expat that was out for a 100km ride.  After my 3:30 ride I got off the bike and ran for a short while.  I'm not bragging but I didn't start any of this until I was in my 60's.  You just need to get some good advice and have fun - but keep at it.

On BT I recommend you join a mentor group for beginners when they start the next groups (you could also look for an open group now).  I also recommend you read race reports to learn and be inspired.  Especially, if you can find reports for races in your area but I find all reports interesting.  Away from BT it is good to talk to local people that are involved and also to volunteer to help out at Triathlons to further your learning and make like-minded acquaintances.  Maybe in the future you'll travel somewhere just to race in a tri somewhere.  The single best thing I did after joining BT was to meet a fellow to train with.  Much easier to get out and do workouts with someone else to help you.

I also recommend checking out Triathlon books at your local library and picking a training plan on BT to get you started.  Above all, have fun and never worry about things being too hard.  You can do it.

2015-05-15 11:58 AM
in reply to: wenceslasz

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Awesome advice and welcome!

My additional recommendation would be to go volunteer at a triathlon.  When you see the variety of people who go out and race it won't seem so impossible. It's okay to think, 'well, if that person can do it, i can do it'

And if you need any more inspiration look up Sister Madonna Buder.  Really amazing and if an 85-year old nun can do it ... doesn't leave much excuse for the rest of us! ha!

Anyway, best of luck! 

2015-05-15 12:41 PM
in reply to: Emmajd

User image

Hi Emma, and welcome to BT! It's never too late to start training!!!

I would simply echo what has been said already - find a training partner or local group to meet up with, talk to as many people here on BT as possible, and just build up slowly. Enjoy your fitness gains as they come and you'll be a tri finisher before you know it! There are some great training plans available on here to get you across the finish line - I've used them with success in the past, and when I get my run base built back up, I plan to use them again.

Good luck!!!
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » New to Triathlon living in UK Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

New UK Member

Started by michelle.bayliss
Views: 642 Posts: 5

2005-10-10 2:55 PM FlamingButtocks

new but willing to tri UK

Started by rosso
Views: 515 Posts: 2

2005-07-13 5:52 PM COgirl

new to triathlons--live in NJ

Started by mikestrug
Views: 636 Posts: 7

2004-11-09 5:04 PM mtntrainer

New from UK

Started by learntof1y
Views: 683 Posts: 6

2004-08-26 8:53 PM Michael

Canadian expat living in London UK

Started by kalle
Views: 1247 Posts: 1

2003-06-20 6:00 AM kalle
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 12, 2012
author : khledon
comments : 3
After eight long months of training, I’ve finally completed my first ever triathlon and it just so happened to be one of the biggest and toughest events known to the triathlon community, Ironman.

date : January 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
Here are five steps to ensure that you keep your promise to yourself to get you to that first triathlon.
date : July 10, 2007
author : IRONVIKING
Eating To Win, Eating To Live. A collection of heart-healthy recipes that fuels Ironman training. Also some pre-race thoughts before Ironman Coeur d’Alene.

date : October 10, 2004
author : TSN
Tri-a-new daily read online, with the UK’s independent home of triathlon.