General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Blood in urine Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-06-05 5:37 PM

User image

New user
Kingston, Ontario
Subject: Blood in urine
Little nasty topic here but I'm wondering if anybody has had the same problem. I did a pretty intense work out yesterday and my legs were done at the end. Mostly a circuit training/cross fit training session. After that i had to pass my yearly physical test which isn't overly hard but i gave it everything i had. Then today i went for a 100km bike ride with a friend i promised before work. i felt pretty good the first 40 km but after that things went downhill. I was hydrating and putting in the proper nutrition but by the end of the last 20km i could barely get up a small hill. Once i got home i showered to get ready for work and when i went to the bathroom it was very painful and my urine was blood. I went to the Dr and took another sample and when i urinated that time it seemed fine. They took the urine sample and everything seemed normal. Dr said it should be ok and if would be serious if i were to continue to be passing blood; which i am not. I feel fine now other then obviously super sore but I'm wondering if anybody has had this kind of issue before? any info or experiences would be greatly appreciated.

2015-06-05 6:08 PM
in reply to: zombie2212

User image

Expert
Oklahoma
Subject: RE: Blood in urine
Maybe a kidney stone?

You could go to a urologist and they can scope you and get a better idea if something else is going on. Although I will warn you the scope is NO FUN!
2015-06-05 8:43 PM

User image

Regular
Clermont, Florida
Question for you and and a couple of possibilities. I can think of a few benign causes of bloody urine that are self limited and could be a direct result of your activities. But first, how do you know it was blood without micro exam identifying the RBCs? Things to consider: It is possible that urine was super concentrated and very dark. Also possible that you had myoglobinuria - breakdown products of muscle catabolism in your pee and not actually blood. Myoglobinuria can be caused by rhabdomyolysis (tearing down of skeletal muscle) during a vigorous workout. Untreated, myoglobinuria can led to kidney failure. Most of us have some amount of rhabdomyolysis after killer workouts or long tris. The key is adequate/prompt rehydration to flush the toxic products out before they can couse kidney damage. A third possibility is a phenomenon called runner's bladder. Hypothesis is that during a long workout, if there is not adequate urine production, the bladder can empty and allow the sides to rub together, causing bladder wall trauma and bleeding in to the bladder. Hence, bloody pee. Usually resolves spontaneously.
It sounds like you got good advice - if blood in urine continues, reexam and a search for more ominous causes is indicated.

Hope that helps. As always opinions here are best suplemented with consultation with your own trusted medical professional.

JB
2015-06-05 9:15 PM
in reply to: exnavydoc

User image

Extreme Veteran
In a rare case you can traumatize your urethra if you hit the seat too hard between your legs. How do I know this?
2015-06-06 4:23 AM

User image

I had blood in my urine and doc sent me for an ultrasound.

Turned out to be kidney cancer. They caught it before it left the kidney.

Don't screw around. Get it checked.
2015-06-06 10:57 AM
in reply to: #5120727

User image

Agree with exnavydoc. RHABDO would also be supported by how soar you are. Kidney Cancer is uncommon, especially before 50. If the problem continues or you had microscopic blood it would be worth while top get an ultrasound or at least further workup.

2015-06-07 11:35 PM
in reply to: nrpoulin

User image

Expert
I've had rhabdomyolysis before, un-fun x100 and put in the hospital overnight. Not something to mess around with.

Mine came on during a Sprint Tri. I had raced a local 70.3 a weeks earlier and was just doing the sprint for fun. My wife is an ER Nurse and when she saw me at the finish line she just asked which hospital did I want to go to...
2015-06-08 2:44 AM

User image

Pearland,Tx
Im with Rhabdomyolysis too go to ER right away and have your LABS checked.
2015-06-09 6:29 PM
in reply to: NeilsWheel

User image

Owwwweee! On the traumatized urethra! I read that and immediately crossed my legs in sympathetic pain...
2015-06-09 6:31 PM
in reply to: magic

User image

Originally posted by magic

I've had rhabdomyolysis before, un-fun x100 and put in the hospital overnight. Not something to mess around with.

Mine came on during a Sprint Tri. I had raced a local 70.3 a weeks earlier and was just doing the sprint for fun. My wife is an ER Nurse and when she saw me at the finish line she just asked which hospital did I want to go to...

Second this! Spent 3 days in hospital with my bout. Extremely unpleasant!
2015-06-09 8:02 PM
in reply to: sdalcher

User image

New user
Kingston, Ontario
Havn't had any blood in the urine since the incident. Also took 4 days off and ate potato chips lol.. Did the Syracuse 70.3 bike portion today to see how the course laid out. It rained like a F#$^%&!! However my legs felt great and let's just say bathroom time afterwards felt great. Appreciate all the info like always. If anyone is doing Syracuse 70.3 and want to know the bike layout just fly me a message. Cheers BT

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Blood in urine Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Blood in the urine after running

Started by erik.norgaard
Views: 8527 Posts: 10

2012-09-12 8:10 PM stevebradley

Blood in Urine..yes, I saw a Dr for this

Started by FELTGood
Views: 2389 Posts: 12

2012-04-11 4:53 PM Tiffanator

Ques for Dr's/Med Pros-blood in urine

Started by Turnin2
Views: 1138 Posts: 10

2011-04-28 8:04 PM pschriver

blood in urine?

Started by KathyG
Views: 1667 Posts: 16

2006-07-03 11:10 AM Kpoulsen

Effect of blood donation and training....

Started by Hudnick
Views: 1206 Posts: 16

2005-01-27 2:50 PM akabak
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 19, 2006
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
Initially most patients with mitral valve regurgitation have normal heart function. But when the heart starts to function poorly, patients will start to become more short of breath with exertion.

date : September 4, 2006
Athletes with diabetes can exercise and compete at a high level. Exercise can help control blood sugars, particularly in Type 2 diabetics, but it can also worsen them if you are not in good control.
date : September 3, 2006
comments : 2
If you are one of those athletes, and the compartments don’t easily expand, the pressure within increases with exercise. This can stress the muscle as well as the nerves and blood vessels.

date : May 1, 2006
Exercise-related hyponatremia (low sodium in the blood) is a rare cause of death in endurance athletes. Symptoms include headache, nausea, vomiting, confusion, difficulty breathing and seizure.
date : March 5, 2006
A number of vascular changes occur in the body during activity. In general, these changes are beneficial, the blood vessels dilating and constricting in order to shunt blood where our bodies need it.

date : September 3, 2005
author : Jen Doyle
Often athletes forget the fitness basics such as warm up and cool down. We know they are important, but we want to get into the meat of our workout without wasting time.
date : May 16, 2005
author : Nancy Clark
Perhaps you, too, have wondered about the role of salt, or more correctly, sodium (the part of salt associated with high blood pressure) in your diet. This article can help you figure that out.

date : September 19, 2004
author : malvey
The next time you see one of your kids or grandkids, look deep into their eyes and know that they would give anything to have you around for five, ten fifteen, or even twenty more years.