Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2015-06-29 12:13 PM
in reply to: Jackemy1

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
Subject: RE: Why is "faith" good

I don't have "faith" in my beliefs, I've looked at the evidence and made a decision.  Just like LB was saying earlier that has lead him to a slightly different decision. 

2015-06-29 2:07 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
Originally posted by Jackemy1

Have you or dmiller ever seen observed a rock evolve into a protein?

I will assume that dmiller believes we only exist by random chance. It is virtually impossible to assign any amount of probability that non living primordial ooze turned into living protein. But I think we all agree that the odds are unimaginably small. Science has also calculated the odds that the planet can support life a close to zero and combined with the odds that the big bang actual can form a universe probably made the chance that primordial ooze being around to morph into a living protein impossible.

Yet it occurred.

I think that there is an argument that it takes a greater leap of faith that we are here by chance than it does that there was some intelligence behind the whole thing.

In an infinite universe with infinite stars with infinite planets even if the odds are that .000000000000000001% of these planets would have life there would be an infinite number of worlds with life.

Edited by chirunner134 2015-06-29 2:08 PM
2015-06-29 2:12 PM
in reply to: chirunner134

User image

Pro

Originally posted by chirunner134
Originally posted by Jackemy1 Have you or dmiller ever seen observed a rock evolve into a protein? I will assume that dmiller believes we only exist by random chance. It is virtually impossible to assign any amount of probability that non living primordial ooze turned into living protein. But I think we all agree that the odds are unimaginably small. Science has also calculated the odds that the planet can support life a close to zero and combined with the odds that the big bang actual can form a universe probably made the chance that primordial ooze being around to morph into a living protein impossible. Yet it occurred. I think that there is an argument that it takes a greater leap of faith that we are here by chance than it does that there was some intelligence behind the whole thing.
In an infinite universe with infinite stars with infinite planets even if the odds are that .000000000000000001% of these planets would have life there would be an infinite number of worlds with life.

I would have to agree that the universe is teeming with life.

2015-06-29 2:15 PM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Buttercup
I think you are confusing the value of faith with the reason someone arrives at their set of beliefs.

Maybe it takes a bit of poetry, rather than logic and reasoning, to illustrate what value faith brings to a person's life:

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound,
That saved a wretch like me.
I once was lost but now am found,
Was blind, but now I see.

T'was Grace that taught my heart to fear.
And Grace, my fears relieved.
How precious did that Grace appear
The hour I first believed.

Through many dangers, toils and snares
I have already come;
'Tis Grace that brought me safe thus far
and Grace will lead me home.

The Lord has promised good to me.
His word my hope secures.
He will my shield and portion be,
As long as life endures.

Yea, when this flesh and heart shall fail,
And mortal life shall cease,
I shall possess within the veil,
A life of joy and peace.

Yes, when this flesh and heart shall fail,
And mortal life shall cease;
I shall profess, within the vail,
A life of joy and peace.

I don't have it, but I get it. Totally.

2015-06-30 8:38 AM

User image

Originally posted by dmiller5

I don't have "faith" in my beliefs, I've looked at the evidence and made a decision.  Just like LB was saying earlier that has lead him to a slightly different decision. 

I think a Christians can look at the same evidence and come to a different conclusion and neither conclusions can be scientifically proved absolute and correct by scientific experiment. That is kind of the bummer with historical science. It is story telling to arrive at a predetermined conclusion. You know, kind of like scientifically prove to me that Julius Caesar actually existed.....you can't. You call your process critical thinking and the Christian's process faith.

Again, I don't see why you feel that your thought process is more evolved than that of a Christian. For perspective, I am neither a practicing Christian nor an Atheist.

2015-06-30 8:59 AM

User image

I will assume that dmiller believes we only exist by random chance. It is virtually impossible to assign any amount of probability that non living primordial ooze turned into living protein. But I think we all agree that the odds are unimaginably small. Science has also calculated the odds that the planet can support life a close to zero and combined with the odds that the big bang actual can form a universe probably made the chance that primordial ooze being around to morph into a living protein impossible.

Yet it occurred.

I think that there is an argument that it takes a greater leap of faith that we are here by chance than it does that there was some intelligence behind the whole thing.

I think you are missing a few hundred zeros in your odds (at least for the brief reading I have done on the subject).

Is the universe infinite with infinite stars? I know that there is only a finite observable universe and I get that there is more universe outside what could ever be seen. But, the universe is expanding so if something is already infinite in size then what does it expand into, What space does it take if the space that it takes is already infinite?

Here is a cool article on the subject that I found yesterday.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/eric-metaxas-science-increasingly-makes...

2015-06-30 11:50 AM
in reply to: Jackemy1

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois

Yet it occurred.

I think you are missing a few hundred zeros in your odds (at least for the brief reading I have done on the subject).

Is the universe infinite with infinite stars? I know that there is only a finite observable universe and I get that there is more universe outside what could ever be seen. But, the universe is expanding so if something is already infinite in size then what does it expand into, What space does it take if the space that it takes is already infinite?

Here is a cool article on the subject that I found yesterday.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/eric-metaxas-science-increasingly-makes...

Well I always think of God more as being great scientist. We are discovering what he has created. Heck maybe that is "Why we are here". We are here to explorer and discover it because he can not.

well point of infinity once you feel you are at the end it keeps going. The edge of infinity is ever expanding. You maybe right universe might have an edge but number is pretty big. According to this site below "Astronomers estimate there are about 100 thousand million stars in the Milky Way alone. Outside that, there are millions upon millions of other galaxies also! "

http://www.esa.int/Our_Activities/Space_Science/Herschel/How_many_s...

If I am reading that right that is 100 billion not sure why they did not say 100 billion. So if the odds are 1 in billion that means we would have in theory 100 in this galaxy alone.

I guess I look at it like in the movie Contact. If we are alone in the universe it would be an awful waste of space.

Sorry I am not able to read yours because I do not subscribe but you could read mine.

http://news.sciencemag.org/biology/2015/03/researchers-may-have-sol...
2015-06-30 12:07 PM

User image

Pro

Our bodies are made of the same stuff the universe is made of........it'd be just like humans to conclude that out of the billions upon billions of planets in the known universe we are the only life.  My guess is that we wouldn't even be considered "intelligent life" by the majority of life that exists.

2015-06-30 12:46 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

In some ways it's just semantics, but I always say that everyone has faith in something.  Even with scientific evidence you have to have faith in the process in order to believe in the conclusions of the scientist. 

The Big Bang theory is certainly the main theory of our origins out there now, but it's really nothing more than a theory of the evolution of the universe and in no way explains the origin (as in what caused the big bang).  Even within the Big Bang there are a lot of controversies and inconsistencies with observable Physics.
We're obviously here today and we obviously started somewhere, somehow but is it really that much of a stretch to say we were created out of nothing by some omnipotent being versus create out of nothing from nothing for no reason?  Both require faith to believe and both make no scientific sense.

As for faith in general we all have a desire to understand and live our lives to a core belief system.  You can have faith in our governmental system to live a law abiding life, you can have faith in a religious system and try to live your life by that code, or you can have faith in yourself and live a self centered rebellious life.
Either way, you have to have faith in something to live by it. 

2015-06-30 12:49 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by Left Brain

Our bodies are made of the same stuff the universe is made of........it'd be just like humans to conclude that out of the billions upon billions of planets in the known universe we are the only life.  My guess is that we wouldn't even be considered "intelligent life" by the majority of life that exists.

I've always been fascinated with life on other planets.  There's just no way it can't exist in some form somewhere.

2015-06-30 1:19 PM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Originally posted by tuwood

I've always been fascinated with life on other planets.  There's just no way it can't exist in some form somewhere.

if that's the case, how can the Christian god exist in the manner described in the bible.  for how long did the church and infallible pope say that the universe rotated around the earth?

2015-06-30 2:03 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

if that's the case, how can the Christian god exist in the manner described in the bible.  for how long did the church and infallible pope say that the universe rotated around the earth?

lol, the Bible says nothing to support or oppose life on other planets.  In other words it's not inconsistent in any way if there was or wasn't life on other planets.

As for the Pope, he doesn't speak for Christianity in any way and never has.  He is very fallible and nothing more than the head of the Catholic religion that is what I would describe as loosely based on the Bible.

2015-06-30 2:10 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

lol, the Bible says nothing to support or oppose life on other planets.  In other words it's not inconsistent in any way if there was or wasn't life on other planets.

As for the Pope, he doesn't speak for Christianity in any way and never has.  He is very fallible and nothing more than the head of the Catholic religion that is what I would describe as loosely based on the Bible.

btw, Scientists believed the Sun rotated around the earth until I think the 1500's with Copernicus and Galileo scientifically proving it to be the other way around.  So, to say the church and pope said this or that based on the "best science of the day" is kind of a silly argument.  Even today the current pope is spouting off about global warming based on the "best science of the day" which could easily be proven wrong in 50 or 100 years and laughed at in the future.

2015-06-30 2:18 PM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois

btw, Scientists believed the Sun rotated around the earth until I think the 1500's with Copernicus and Galileo scientifically proving it to be the other way around.  So, to say the church and pope said this or that based on the "best science of the day" is kind of a silly argument.  Even today the current pope is spouting off about global warming based on the "best science of the day" which could easily be proven wrong in 50 or 100 years and laughed at in the future.

A documentary I was watching last night made me look up Galileo life. Interesting to read the bible versuses they said he was committing heresy with this thoughts that the earth revolved around the sun. Several versus that mention that the earth is never moving which means how could it move around anything.

I hope you are right about the pope being wrong and in 100 years. Though I still not sure why people are against living in a cleaner environment.
2015-06-30 2:58 PM

User image

Pro

A documentary I was watching last night made me look up Galileo life. Interesting to read the bible versuses they said he was committing heresy with this thoughts that the earth revolved around the sun. Several versus that mention that the earth is never moving which means how could it move around anything. I hope you are right about the pope being wrong and in 100 years. Though I still not sure why people are against living in a cleaner environment.

I agree that it's great to live in the cleanest environment possible....it just makes life more enjoyable.  But let's face it, it's really not that big of a problem if we look at the big picture.  The Earth will take care of itself.....as always.  I think the best part of humanity for me is our inherent arrogance....it has been a constant source of comic relief.  We are absolutely insignificant and unnecessary for the health/detriment of this planet......it works the other way around.  Mankind won't always be here.

2015-06-30 3:22 PM

User image

Master
Denver

I agree that it's great to live in the cleanest environment possible....it just makes life more enjoyable.  But let's face it, it's really not that big of a problem if we look at the big picture.  The Earth will take care of itself.....as always.  I think the best part of humanity for me is our inherent arrogance....it has been a constant source of comic relief.  We are absolutely insignificant and unnecessary for the health/detriment of this planet......it works the other way around.  Mankind won't always be here.

Well there's billions and billions of habitable planets around so we can always just pop over to one of those if we mess things up too bad.

Maybe it's a new thread, but I do find it interesting to think about how mankind and civilization will end though.  I mean at some point there won't be any humans on earth.  Maybe we'll figure out how to leave.  Maybe the population will just dwindle down until there's no one left.  Maybe an asteroid will wipe out everyone at once.  Maybe a virus will whittle us down to just a small group and then tigers will finish us off.  Only thing that's for sure is that everything you see out your window will be abandoned some day.  Except for Keith Richards obviously.

Edited by drewb8 2015-06-30 3:23 PM

2015-06-30 3:38 PM

At the end of the day, everyone's 'beliefs' are just opinions. Even if you disbelieve in a creator, it's an opinion. So, even 'non-beliefs' are just opinions. I used to be a believer, but ...over time, I just realized that what I was hanging onto was fear of not believing because I had been raised in 'faith.' When I had 'faith,' it gave me peace for it's all I ever knew. My worldview was wrapped up in my religion at that time, so to answer 'why is faith good,' it is because to the faithful person at the time, it brings a sense of comfort and peace. Or at least you are convinced of that at the time.

Edited by SGirl 2015-06-30 3:52 PM
2015-06-30 5:22 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by drewb8

Well there's billions and billions of habitable planets around so we can always just pop over to one of those if we mess things up too bad.

Maybe it's a new thread, but I do find it interesting to think about how mankind and civilization will end though.  I mean at some point there won't be any humans on earth.  Maybe we'll figure out how to leave.  Maybe the population will just dwindle down until there's no one left.  Maybe an asteroid will wipe out everyone at once.  Maybe a virus will whittle us down to just a small group and then tigers will finish us off.  Only thing that's for sure is that everything you see out your window will be abandoned some day.  Except for Keith Richards obviously.

There you go, now I have a goal.......just me and Keith Richards fighting tigers!!  Then if there's an afterlife I can show up and be like, dude, you shoulda been there for THAT!!! 

Edited by Left Brain 2015-06-30 5:25 PM
2015-06-30 10:55 PM

User image

I guess I'm always trying to figure out why we have a conscience if there is nothing after this.  My conscience pretty much drives the way I live my life.  It seems to me that would be a useless thing to have if there was nothing after this, or maybe my soul  learned other lessons along some journey.  I know that I really have no fear of death.  It's either nothing else so when the light's out it's out......or something else is coming and I'm good with seeing what that is.  I don't need faith.  I only have control over my own actions, nothing else. Conscience.

Why does it have to be something after life?

What drives me is making a better world for my children and for the future of humanity.
2015-07-01 9:15 AM
in reply to: jennifer_runs

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by jennifer_runs

I guess I'm always trying to figure out why we have a conscience if there is nothing after this.  My conscience pretty much drives the way I live my life.  It seems to me that would be a useless thing to have if there was nothing after this, or maybe my soul  learned other lessons along some journey.  I know that I really have no fear of death.  It's either nothing else so when the light's out it's out......or something else is coming and I'm good with seeing what that is.  I don't need faith.  I only have control over my own actions, nothing else. Conscience.

Why does it have to be something after life? What drives me is making a better world for my children and for the future of humanity.

I wouldn't necessarily say there has to be something after life, it's more that we hope that there's something after life.

2015-07-01 9:44 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Why does it have to be something after life? What drives me is making a better world for my children and for the future of humanity.

I wouldn't necessarily say there has to be something after life, it's more that we hope that there's something after life.

Why? I feel like it makes people live for something later rather than live for what they actually have now.

2015-07-01 10:10 AM

User image

Pro

Why? I feel like it makes people live for something later rather than live for what they actually have now.

I don't know about that, but maybe some folks do. I'm living for what I have now.  For me, I don't necessarily hope there is in ......I just think it would be cool if this wasn't all there is.  I'm having a good time.  I'm good with it continuing in some other facet. 

Trying to be a decent person now just seems like the right thing to do.  That's the part I can't figure out.  Where does that come from?  I have dealt with many people who don't give a rats arse how they treat others or what good they can do in this life.  In fact, I have sat with people that I can say are absolutely evil and appear to have no conscience.  Where does that come from? 

2015-07-01 10:18 AM
in reply to: jennifer_runs

User image

Pro

I don't think I have the power to make this a "better" world for my children and humanity.  There is just too much that I have no control over.  What I can do is help my children be good people in the world we have, no matter what it deals them.  That's a big enough job for me.

2015-07-01 10:50 AM

User image

Master
Denver

I don't think I have the power to make this a "better" world for my children and humanity.  There is just too much that I have no control over.  What I can do is help my children be good people in the world we have, no matter what it deals them.  That's a big enough job for me.

Do you really believe that?  I mean isn't your chosen profession making the world better for your children?

2015-07-01 11:01 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by drewb8

Do you really believe that?  I mean isn't your chosen profession making the world better for your children?

I've been at this for 30 years.......I gave up on fixing the world a loooong time ago.  I can help make life a bit easier on a few people, and I'm good with helping out..... I have always wanted to do that and it makes me happy.  But make the world better?  Nah.  I don't look at it that way.  If you do that you become the bitter guy who has been doing my job for 30 years.  I'm not interested in that.

Edited by Left Brain 2015-07-01 11:02 AM
New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Why is "faith" good Rss Feed  

of 4

RELATED POSTS

This is why regulations keep increasing

Started by JoshR
Views: 1055 Posts: 9

2013-12-20 11:39 AM pga_mike

'Create education better' to solve income inequality: Miss Utah Pages: 1 2

Started by TheCrownsOwn
Views: 3088 Posts: 27

2013-06-21 2:28 PM switch

Best political news in awhile.

Started by ejshowers
Views: 1255 Posts: 10

2013-05-30 2:33 PM spudone

Catholics - Why do you do that? Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by moondawg14
Views: 7097 Posts: 78

2013-05-01 4:53 PM Triguy67

Good news- Ricin letter sender caught

Started by gr33n
Views: 1654 Posts: 9

2013-04-28 8:41 AM ScudRunner
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 15, 2013
author : writingrunner
comments : 1
The science behind the reasons that triathlons make us feel so good.

date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.
date : December 11, 2007
author : Nancy Clark
Searching for the perfect gift for a friend, relative, or teammate? Here's a list of winning book suggestions for active people.

date : September 10, 2004
author : steve
comments : 0
The reason that I wanted to complete a triathlon is because I was watching one on TV and said to myself, "I'll bet I can do one of those".