General Discussion Triathlon Talk » newbie dream: want to qualify for worlds! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-07-07 9:18 PM

User image

Subject: newbie dream: want to qualify for worlds!
Ok, confession, this is my second year so maybe I'm jumping my gun on this one, but man, I want to qualify for AG Worlds. To some, maybe the AG Nationals is lame, but it's my first time going and I'm terrified, excited, determined... I'm a mixture! But I am just getting over an upper respiratory infection which really set me back!!!

Will you share your stories to me about your experience at Nationals!? How did you do!? Did you PR!? How did you feel!? I want to get amped because right now I'm terrified and kinda frustrated on how fast a cold can knock your training down. I went for a run today and usually I go comfortably at 8min/mile for 4+ miles... Today it was 9min/mile and I walked/coughed after 2.5 miles... then ran another 1.5 miles at a 9:30min/mile.

2015-07-07 9:42 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: newbie dream: want to qualify for worlds!

It's fast.

Plus....only about 1/2 of the world spots are available this year......the rest will be doled out in a draft legal race in Nov.

Edited by Left Brain 2015-07-07 10:00 PM
2015-07-07 10:01 PM
in reply to: #5127337

User image

I know. Ugh. I looked at last year's times and 2013!!!

When I'm racing my avg run pace is 7:20... But I have to break 7!!! I look at it and think, I can totally do it, but then I go on a training run and it's terrible.

Leftbrain, is it possible to hit a 20 min 5k from my avg 23minutes in 5 weeks!!? Probably not...Ugh. I kinda don't want to go because I am certain I'm gonna get my arse handed to me. :/
2015-07-07 10:22 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

Originally posted by rizztalah I know. Ugh. I looked at last year's times and 2013!!! When I'm racing my avg run pace is 7:20... But I have to break 7!!! I look at it and think, I can totally do it, but then I go on a training run and it's terrible. Leftbrain, is it possible to hit a 20 min 5k from my avg 23minutes in 5 weeks!!? Probably not...Ugh. I kinda don't want to go because I am certain I'm gonna get my arse handed to me. :/

It will be tough to drop that time.  But here's the deal......you have to race that race if you want to realize your dream.  Even if it doesn't happen for you this year you have to feel that atmosphere and that speed to know where you are headed.....and you ARE headed there.  It's an awesome venue, an awesome race, and an awesome field.  Have a blast!!   What you will learn, no matter your outcome, will be invaluable in your triathlon future. It's a sprint race......but a marathon learning experience....enjoy the ride.

Edited by Left Brain 2015-07-07 10:23 PM
2015-07-07 10:24 PM
in reply to: #5127337

User image

I'm giving you an internet hug right now.
2015-07-08 8:54 AM
in reply to: rizztalah

User image

My plan is to keep aging until I am the only one left in my AG. Then I am going for sure.

2015-07-08 8:56 AM
in reply to: rizztalah

User image

Originally posted by rizztalah

I know. Ugh. I looked at last year's times and 2013!!!

When I'm racing my avg run pace is 7:20... But I have to break 7!!! I look at it and think, I can totally do it, but then I go on a training run and it's terrible.

Leftbrain, is it possible to hit a 20 min 5k from my avg 23minutes in 5 weeks!!? Probably not...Ugh. I kinda don't want to go because I am certain I'm gonna get my arse handed to me. :/

What Leftbrain said! This is my first year racing and my goal is also to get to AG worlds. I Have been in 4 races so far and going in 2 more before Nats. you will gain so much from just going and racing with that group. If you make it to worlds then great, if not then you will know what you have to do to get there next year. It will give you some drive to train in the off season.

As for dropping a bunch of time off of your run. If your still standing when you cross the line you could have run faster. I have seen some crazy stuff happen in sports. I have seen people put out so hard on a single day and never be able to get to that level again. Go into the race knowing you can and when you get to your wall kick it down and put out harder! when you get the that line make sure you have not left any time out on that run. If you Q great, just make sure you give it everything!
2015-07-08 9:10 AM
in reply to: madprops

User image

I'm also going for my 1st time and spent most of yesterday trying to figure out how I could possibly qualify for worlds. Long story short, I realized it's virtually impossible and I got discouraged. I've only done 3 races after paying for flights, hotels, etc, but I also don't want this to be just another race. Hopefully in the next few weeks I can get all my training in and somehow convince myself that I can do it. Thank you for your post. I'm glad I'm not the only one a little worried about this race
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » newbie dream: want to qualify for worlds! Rss Feed