General Discussion Triathlon Talk » calorie burn of swimming? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-07-08 9:03 AM

, Tennessee
Subject: calorie burn of swimming?
Does anyone here know the approximate calorie burn of continuous swimming? If you swim continuously for 30 minutes? I am just curious. I am STARVING after a swim, but most online calculators don't give a lot of calories burned for swimming.

2015-07-08 9:08 AM
in reply to: turnip13

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Subject: RE: calorie burn of swimming?
It depends on your weight and the effort you are putting in. As an example, I weight 170 pounds and when I swim for about 30 minutes, I burn roughly 250-300 calories.
I do agree that I often feel quite hungry after swimming, and that hunger is usually outpacing whatever calories I just burned during the workout. For me, I feel less hungry throughout the rest of the day if I quickly eat something fairly high in protein within an hour of my workout. I like skyr, the icelandic yogurt.
2015-07-08 9:18 AM

User image

Katy, Texas
I'm certainly no expert and I've wondered the same thing. Most online calculators give about 500-600 cal/hr. Of course there are a ton of factors that affect calorie burn. Doing sets vs continuous swimming will burn a lot more calories, etc. Also, it depends if these calculators are including basal metabolic calories, which is your baseline calorie burn if you were just sitting on the couch. It's important to know if you are including these or not if you are counting total calories.

For example, if you swim one hour and you use a factor of 500 cal/hr, if that includes your BMR then 80 of those calories came from just being alive and 420 came from swimming. This becomes more of a factor in lower calorie burn exercises such as walking or riding slowly on a bike for example, because double counting BMR within the workout and in the background can drastically change your overall calorie burn.

The calorie burn thing is tough because it is so individual. If I don't wear my heart rate monitor and ride 50 miles at 21 mph on my bike my Garmin and MyFitnessPal will show about a 3,700 calorie burn. If I wear my HRM they will then estimate the exact same exercise at around 1,400 calories. So you can see the crazy difference. I have a pretty low HR so I think that accounts for the discrepancy, but it also shows how these estimates are all over the place.

The bottom line, however, is if you are using a set of numbers and assumptions and the result of a caloric deficit results in you losing weight, then you know you're on the right track. If you are counting calories and showing a deficit but staying the same weight or gaining weight (assuming muscle mass is constant) then your calorie burn assumptions need adjusting.
2015-07-08 10:25 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Not sure of the answer but as a long-time swimmer, I can testify that swimming does seem to really stimulate the appetite, probably in many cases out of proportion to the calories burned. For me this is particularly true if the water was cool/cold. I'm guessing that this has to do with body temperature---after a long/hard run or bike, normally your body temp is a bit elevated and this suppresses appetite for a while afterwards; for swimming, that doesn't happen so one is hungry right away. Guessing that calories burned would depend a lot of the intensity of the workout. The low calorie rate is probably for leisurely lap swimming. If you're doing a hard workout, or incorporating high-energy strokes like butterfly, that's going to go up.
2015-07-08 12:01 PM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Use these as a rough guideline:

Swimming: 100 cal / 400 m

Biking: .35 cal / kg / km

Running: 1 cal / kg / km

2015-07-08 9:38 PM
in reply to: TriMyBest

, Tennessee
All of these responses are very helpful, thanks! I will try to watch more of what I eat after a swim...

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » calorie burn of swimming? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

calories burned during swim

Started by midessa7
Views: 2397 Posts: 9

2012-05-02 3:40 PM gsmacleod

calculating calories burned swimming Pages: 1 2

Started by rbtrumpet
Views: 6847 Posts: 29

2009-07-09 1:37 PM newbz

Calories Burned While Swimming?

Started by tri_sport19
Views: 3214 Posts: 9

2009-03-25 10:50 AM Baowolf

Swim calorie burn????

Started by prieto539
Views: 839 Posts: 2

2008-11-28 11:53 AM Fechter99

calories burned

Started by daveha
Views: 606 Posts: 3

2005-01-03 6:44 PM daveha
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 20, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
From interval training to chocolate milk, here is the latest from cutting edge research labs

date : August 5, 2010
author : AMSSM
I have burning hips. They start to hurt about 20 miles into a bike ride and then they hurt as I try to sleep all night long. Stretching and massage don't seem to make much difference.
date : December 20, 2009
author : mrakes1
Discussions on Weight Watchers, eating out, peanut butter, agave nectar, not wanting to count calories and replacing calories burned by working out.

date : February 4, 2009
author : mrakes1
Marni will show you how to make your own delicious and nutritious wrap that is light on calories but high in protein and nutrients.
date : January 23, 2007
author : KenMierke
comments : 5
A powerful attraction of the calories in/calories out paradigm is its apparent simplicity. Unfortunately, the human body isn’t so simple and that is why this seemingly wonderful formula doesn't work.

date : July 3, 2006
author : AMSSM
They are comfortable, but on longer runs the ball of my foot starts to heat up. I actually had to STOP, take off the shoe, massage my foot. This would help for a while, but the pain usually returned.
date : October 9, 2005
author : Ron
comments : 2
This article gives instruction on using all the nutrition log features to count your daily calories from foods eaten.

date : August 31, 2004
author : Tri Swim Coach
Most of us in the triathlon world are concerned with more than just fat burning. There are certain situations when it’s appropriate to use fins during a workout.