Canada
78F / 26C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 34m 44s
Overall Rank = 207/356
Age Group = W40-44
Age Group Rank = 14/25
Pre-race routine:

The usual: round up the crews for the day, short drive to event, quickest packet pickup ever, got ready in transition and was ready to go! Breakfast: usual GoLean protein cereal with added granola and dried fruits for carbs. Had a clif bar 30 minutes prior to start, not a good idea. Sipped water as the day was going to be hot and humid.
Event warmup:

A few lengths in the pool.
Swim
  • 15m 32s
  • 750 meters
  • 02m 04s / 100 meters
Comments:

Was seeded in women wave 3 of 4 (good place for me); we were only 3 in our lane due to a no-show. 5-second time trial start, I was the first to go. With minutes to spare before the start our lane volunteer was chatting on the phone. Just as I was about to ask her how long before the start, we heard the horn and she said GO!! I fumbled a bit to put on my goggles and press start my garmin, and off I was! I was passed quickly by the 2 others (who did not loose time to put on goggles when it was time to go!!!), and we kept in the same order for the rest of the swim.
What would you do differently?:

Be ready to go as soon as I enter the pool, not rely on the volunteer to tell me to be ready!!! I did not loose time and was not too disturbed by this, but it's not a good way to start a race.
All things considered, time-wise it was a great swim for me, 1 minute faster than last year (swim time includes run to the mat)
Transition 1
  • 02m 11s
Comments:

20 seconds faster than last year.

Had a little bit of trouble getting my right foot in bike shoe (maybe try talc powder?). Other than that, pretty pleased with the time. I hate running, and I hate running with bike shoes even more! But until I practice transitions with shoes clipped on the bike, not much I can do here to be faster.
Bike
  • 42m 38s
  • 21.19 kms
  • 29.82 km/hr
Comments:

Pleased with this bike time (same as last year) since I did not put as much bike training this year. This course has 8 sharp turns x 6 loops. Was focusing on higher cadence and an even pace. Instead of reducing speed before turns and then pick it up every time, which was tiring, I kept an even pace and continued pedaling while rounding the corners. Good and smart effort there, woot!

With more bike training, that same strategy could give excellent results next year. Also I did hill repeats on the bike the previous Wednesday. Maybe not optimal a few days leading to a race, but it was fun!
I had 4 GU chews on the bike (like those much better than gels) but not sure if it made a difference for the run.
Transition 2
  • 01m 28s
Comments:

Exact same T2 time as 2014.

Until I can do a flying dismount, not much to be done here for more speed I think.
Run
  • 32m 48s
  • 5.34 kms
  • 06m 08s  min/km
Comments:

24 seconds slower than 2014. This year was hot and humid whereas last year was a bit cooler and overcast. Km 1-3 were good, pace dropped on km 4-5. I know I did not overcook the bike, so maybe it's a combination of heat and lack of endurance?
The run is my weakness. This is where I lose many positions. I must not get discouraged and continue to focus on the run.

Simple: run more. I cannot expect to get better at running with 2-3 runs a week. The way to do it would be to join the gym accross the street from work and go run at lunchtime, but no budget for that for now.
Post race
Warm down:

Went to cheer on other tri club members still on course. Later I ate some of the excellent post-race food, but was not that hungry.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Hours available to train.
Also I did not follow a race plan this year, I only complemented our tri club workouts with 2 more runs/week, 1-2 swims/week and the occasional weekend bike ride. A more structured plan would work better.

Event comments:

Great organization, more and more people are coming to this event every year and many first-timers. Course is flat and fast, great post-race food, great ambiance.

Last updated: 2015-07-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:32 | 750 meters | 02m 04s / 100meters
Age Group: 8/25
Overall: 143/356
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current:
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:11
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:42:38 | 21.19 kms | 29.82 km/hr
Age Group: 9/25
Overall: 146/356
Wind: None
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 86
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:28
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:32:48 | 05.34 kms | 06m 08s  min/km
Age Group: 207/25
Overall: 15/356
Performance: Below average
Course:
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2015-07-13 2:36 PM

User image

New user
Subject: Tri Saint-Lambert - Sprint

2015-07-16 7:25 PM
in reply to: #5128509

User image

Subject: RE: Tri Saint-Lambert - Sprint
Nice job Isabella! Hill repeats a few days prior...haha.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri Saint-Lambert - Sprint Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Tri Saint-Lambert - Sprint

Started by isabella969
Views: 1115 Posts: 6

2014-07-14 10:13 AM Tri-solar

Duathlon sprint St-Lambert

Started by etccallhome82
Views: 1231 Posts: 3

2009-07-19 1:29 PM etccallhome82

Triathlon St. Lambert

Started by Opus
Views: 1429 Posts: 1

2006-07-20 4:14 PM Opus

Triathlon Boutique Courir St-Lambert

Started by sauna66
Views: 1594 Posts: 2

2006-07-19 8:45 AM Opus

Triathlon St. Lambert

Started by bismuthine
Views: 1225 Posts: 1

2006-07-16 5:13 PM bismuthine
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 21, 2011
author : etra77
comments : 0
Aunt and Nephew do their first Sprint Triathlon together

date : July 28, 2009
author : Coach AJ
comments : 1
I'm doing the 22 week sprint tri program and the 2 mile bike ride it starts with is not very challenging. I see this as a opportunity to train the right way and challenge myself. Any ideas?
date : October 7, 2008
author : gczarski
This past spring I realized a few of us were heading in the wrong direction physically. We were getting together for poker games and kids’ birthdays, but that was it.

date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.
date : April 1, 2008
author : trvw
The challenge? The accomplishment? I want to do this because it is an opportunity to live life. The event is an indoor sprint triathlon. I get to experience the challenge on a safer scale.

date : January 30, 2006
author : acbadger
Should I have time goals for the first sprint? Should I just finish the race at a reasonable pace? I'm not sure how to approach this.
date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
During this past year, I’ve found that there are secrets “out there” - hidden fitness secrets and tips.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 1
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week sprint triathlon training plan overviews.