General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Shoe Dilemma - 48 hrs to Race Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-07-17 12:07 PM

Subject: Shoe Dilemma - 48 hrs to Race
Hi all-- I'm all up in my head over my shoes for my first of two A Olys this year (Sunday morning). All spring, I've been fighting bad calf cramps, and the last two weeks it's added in foot pain. I finally got in to see an Ortho doc yesterday who identified a handful of issues, one of which being the shoes. I used to run in Nike Pegasus, which were comfortable, but heavy mofos (classified as a Neutral shoe). In February, I switched to Saucony Fastwitch, which are lightweights: I love them, they are super-comfortable, and really light and fast. The only catch is that the Ortho doc thinks that they're just not quite supportive enough for me at this point. There is no stress fracture currently, but there are precursors and he's concerned that one could develop fairly quickly aside from the ongoing cramping/foot pain. He wants to address the shoe issue immediately (next week), and recommends me going back to a Neutral shoe (the Nike or other). I still have my previous pair of Pegasus, and I've been walking in them the last couple of weeks to be more comfortable on my feet.

So here are my choices for Sunday:
1) Run in my current pair of Fastwitch. I like them, they're speedy, but if they're a root of the issue...
2) Run in my previous pair of Pegasus. Still in decent shape, but are definitely past the mileage expiration date.
3) Go out and get a new pair of Pegasus this morning and live in them for the next 48 hours to break them in.

My run is far and away my strongest discipline, and hopefully next week I'll get in to a local run PT which will likely include a shoe recommendation, so I'd hate to go buy the Pegasus and then find out on Monday that I should have gone with something else instead...

What would you do?
Thanks!

2015-07-17 7:23 PM
in reply to: runningmon

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Shoe Dilemma - 48 hrs to Race
I would do #2 or #3. You don't want to develop a stress fracture during or immediately after the race and end your season. If you can find the same model and size shoe as you've worn before, and you didn't have any trouble breaking them in last time, the new ones should be fine after 48 hours of wear. If the model has changed (they sometimes do--my old favorite, Saucony Grid Tornado, is still being sold but the feel and sizing is really different from last winter's), or they took longer than a few days to break in last time, then wear the old ones. I wouldn't wear racing flats for an Oly with any potential injury issues or niggles going on. The few seconds they might save you isn't worth the risk.

FWIW I did my HIM last Sunday in a pair of shoes I'd only had for one week and three runs. Stopped by REI to get gu for the race and found a really sweet pair of Sauconys (Ride 7) that to me feel like the old Tornadoes (a lightweight trainer with the firm, "bouncy" feel I like). Bought them and just wore them around town plus three short taper runs, and decided they were preferable to my other shoes. (My racing flats had caused major blisters when they got wet in my last HIM, and my current trainer felt too soft and squishy, particularly since over 3 miles of my HIM was being run on sand.) No issues at all during or after the race. I know they say "nothing new on race day, but in reality, it depends.
2015-07-17 8:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
2015-07-17 9:00 PM
in reply to: dfquigley

User image

New user
Green Bay, WI
If you have the funds, I'd probably get a completely new pair fit at a running store for me.
2015-07-17 9:17 PM

User image

, Massachusetts
I'd race in the old Pegasus this weekend, then go find a new neutral trainer. There are plenty of lightweight neutral trainers out there and you can surely find something that works for you. The Fastwitch is a racing flat so maybe you can hang on to those as your race shoes and do your training in something with more support. Good luck!
2015-07-17 11:20 PM
in reply to: #5129391

Thanks all-- I was leaning towards wearing the old shoes already and they still feel good, so that's what I'm gonna do! Appreciate the help.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Shoe Dilemma - 48 hrs to Race Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

HIM Shoe Dilemma

Started by Captain Morgan
Views: 980 Posts: 5

2013-02-09 8:30 AM jrielley

shoe dilemma!!

Started by turdfergussen
Views: 915 Posts: 9

2012-05-16 10:35 AM Drooopy

48 hrs to race and...

Started by tallvinny
Views: 1462 Posts: 16

2011-10-03 8:28 AM tallvinny

New shoes; big dilemma

Started by mrcurtain
Views: 678 Posts: 10

2009-10-11 11:58 PM EjustE

48 hours to go to Harriman NY Sprint!

Started by rollinbones
Views: 750 Posts: 8

2004-06-10 9:49 PM Y-NOT-TRI
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 5, 2013
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
So, since my beloved go-to shoe brand has changed its shoe, after reading the bruhaha about the minimalist shoe, I decided to give it a try. Now I have a foot issue with my arch area.

date : May 2, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
A comprehensive look at a controversial trend-- for triathletes like you
date : November 2, 2011
comments : 4
A doctor's take on how to safely transition to minimalist shoes and how to treat existing injuries

date : March 23, 2011
What could be causing the pain on the top of the foot at the toes? Here are some easy ways to find the cause and possibly end the pain.
date : June 4, 2008
author : mikericci
comments : 2
Don't know how to setup your triathlon transition area? We cover everything from wetsuit tips, bike check, nutrition, shoes, equipment placement to actual race day execution.

date : February 13, 2007
author : trixie
comments : 1
Can't run outside in the snow? Think again. I flew up the first hill with surprising ease and power. The Yaktrax gripped into the ice like racing spikes on a rubber track. Sweeeeet.
date : September 2, 2004
author : chrisandniki
2004 Product reviews for stability shoes for neutral foot types

date : September 2, 2004
author : chrisandniki
To avoid a myriad of injuries (joint pain to your knees, ankles, hips, shin splints, foot pain, bruises), it’s invaluable to find the right running shoes.