of 5

2015-07-28 2:50 PM
in reply to: RedCorvette

User image

Exton, PA
Subject: RE: Breaststrokes anyone?
Originally posted by RedCorvette

p>

If you can get the correct two-kick rhythm down, then fly becomes a LOT easier.  Most folks struggle trying to do a single kick and lose their momentum every stroke cycle.  That's when it gets to be hard.

My masters coach is working with me now to ditch my 40 year old breast stroke technique with a low, gliding recovery for a modern high arm recovery technique.  It transforms it from a dog paddle/recovery stroke into hard work, but lots faster once you get is down.

Mark

I was a 57sec/100 butterflyer, my kick is just fine. Its still a hard stroke!!!

2015-07-28 3:38 PM
in reply to: mike761

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by mike761
Originally posted by RedCorvette p>

If you can get the correct two-kick rhythm down, then fly becomes a LOT easier.  Most folks struggle trying to do a single kick and lose their momentum every stroke cycle.  That's when it gets to be hard.

My masters coach is working with me now to ditch my 40 year old breast stroke technique with a low, gliding recovery for a modern high arm recovery technique.  It transforms it from a dog paddle/recovery stroke into hard work, but lots faster once you get is down.

Mark

I was a 57sec/100 butterflyer, my kick is just fine. Its still a hard stroke!!!

Slacker.    (You would have whipped my arse.  I never cracked a minute in Fly.)

Yeah, fly is hard to swim fast for any kind of distance.

2015-07-28 4:44 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Denver, Colorado
Can I ask your for an advice in open water:
I will be swimming sprint distance in Lake Michigan (750 meters) in breaststroke. I really don't have an intention to hurt anyone, but at the same time I realize I will be still faster than some people - therefore, I don't want to stay in the back and simply wait until everyone is gone and I have enough space.
I was thinking of starting with breaststroke arms with fly kicks until the group spreads out, and once we are not on top of each other, and there is more space, I would continue with breaststroke kicks.
This will be my first time in open water, so I am not sure if that scenario makes sense - it works with running, so I assumed it sounds fair.
I'm curious what you think.
Thanks,
Mary

Edited by marysia83 2015-07-28 4:45 PM
2015-07-28 7:00 PM

User image

Originally posted by gsmacleod

Originally posted by Goggles Pizzano

When Shane said he thought
breaststroke was the hardest stroke it got me thinking about all the swimming
threads in which breaststroke comes up. Usually people suggesting not doing it
because of the kick. In this thread a few others have mentioned they thought it
was hardest stroke so I found it curious that newer swimmers and probably more
self taught swimmers would go to that stroke.

To be clear, I said breast (done properly) is harder than front crawl, not the hardest stroke. That honour, IMO, goes to fly without question.

Shane

How would you describe "proper" breaststroke? Why do you insist it's harder than crawl?

I watch my kid take swim lessons, where they try to teach them crawl, backstroke, and breaststroke. At least 50% of the kids seem to do better at breast than crawl. I see similar diversity in the lap pool where a lot of the adults that are below "competition level serious" seem to have a better breaststroke than crawl.

Edited by gary p 2015-07-28 7:02 PM
2015-07-29 6:45 AM
in reply to: gary p

User image

Exton, PA
Originally posted by gary p

Originally posted by Goggles Pizzano

When Shane said he thought
breaststroke was the hardest stroke it got me thinking about all the swimming
threads in which breaststroke comes up. Usually people suggesting not doing it
because of the kick. In this thread a few others have mentioned they thought it
was hardest stroke so I found it curious that newer swimmers and probably more
self taught swimmers would go to that stroke.

To be clear, I said breast (done properly) is harder than front crawl, not the hardest stroke. That honour, IMO, goes to fly without question.

Shane

How would you describe "proper" breaststroke? Why do you insist it's harder than crawl?

I watch my kid take swim lessons, where they try to teach them crawl, backstroke, and breaststroke. At least 50% of the kids seem to do better at breast than crawl. I see similar diversity in the lap pool where a lot of the adults that are below "competition level serious" seem to have a better breaststroke than crawl.

If you do breaststroke with a nice long glide it is considered a recue stroke and is easy.
If you do breastroke competitively for speed it is hard. I would put it on par with front crawl, some think it's harder.
2015-07-29 6:50 AM
in reply to: gary p

Sarasota, Florida
I took lessons as a kid and the breaststroke I was taught is not what you see on the tv. We just used flutter kicks or whatever they're called and moved our arms in a circular motion going in towards the chest and out to the side. I think a proper breaststroke is more sophisticated with different kick.

I think I read most this thread and what I got was that the breaststroke or informal breaststroke is much easier on your heart and lungs, but slower. I agree with this, because when I started a month ago I often used the improper breaststroke to recover without having to stop.

2015-07-29 8:18 AM

User image

If you do breaststroke with a nice long glide it is considered a recue stroke and is easy.
If you do breastroke competitively for speed it is hard. I would put it on par with front crawl, some think it's harder.

You present it as a binary choice. Just like with crawl, there's a spectrum of intensity. My 100 free looks quite different than my 1650 free. Even comparing a 1.2 mile open water swim race to the 1.2 mile swim leg of an Olympic triathlon, there would be subtle differences.

Edited by gary p 2015-07-29 8:19 AM
2015-07-29 8:18 AM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Exton, PA
Originally posted by marysia83

I will be swimming sprint distance in Lake Michigan (750 meters) in breaststroke. I really don't have an intention to hurt anyone, but at the same time I realize I will be still faster than some people - therefore, I don't want to stay in the back and simply wait until everyone is gone and I have enough space.
I was thinking of starting with breaststroke arms with fly kicks until the group spreads out, and once we are not on top of each other, and there is more space, I would continue with breaststroke kicks.
This will be my first time in open water, so I am not sure if that scenario makes sense - it works with running, so I assumed it sounds fair.
Thanks,
Mary

Lake Michigan from what I hear is cold, so it will probably be wet suite legal- check past results or ask the RD. Do you have a wet suit?

Sounds like you never did an open water swim before- its a lot different than a pool swim
You will most likely start in waves- start in the back of your wave and to the outside. If our going to swim breastroke I suggest you swim the entire event on the out side away from most others. It might be slightly longer but not much, and will reduce the chances of you kicking some one. If it's a wave start and you don't swim to the outside there is a good chance of someone swimming over you.
2015-07-29 8:50 AM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by marysia83 Can I ask your for an advice in open water: I will be swimming sprint distance in Lake Michigan (750 meters) in breaststroke. I really don't have an intention to hurt anyone, but at the same time I realize I will be still faster than some people - therefore, I don't want to stay in the back and simply wait until everyone is gone and I have enough space. I was thinking of starting with breaststroke arms with fly kicks until the group spreads out, and once we are not on top of each other, and there is more space, I would continue with breaststroke kicks. This will be my first time in open water, so I am not sure if that scenario makes sense - it works with running, so I assumed it sounds fair. I'm curious what you think. Thanks, Mary
Lake Michigan from what I hear is cold, so it will probably be wet suite legal- check past results or ask the RD. Do you have a wet suit? Sounds like you never did an open water swim before- its a lot different than a pool swim You will most likely start in waves- start in the back of your wave and to the outside. If our going to swim breastroke I suggest you swim the entire event on the out side away from most others. It might be slightly longer but not much, and will reduce the chances of you kicking some one. If it's a wave start and you don't swim to the outside there is a good chance of someone swimming over you.

This sounds like Chicago Tri. It's Lake Michigan water, but in a mostly protected harbor. Seawall/breakwater should keep at least most of the bigger waves down, but some might get through the boat access opening. Water temperature could be all over the place. Might warm some if there isn't as much exchange or it could turn over and be cold. Be ready for anything there.

Also, if it is Chicago Tri, there will seemingly be ~100,000 waves going off. You will overtake some people. You will be overtaken by people. Outside best you can is likely to be most appreciated by everyone. If I'm reading things right, it's mostly straight with a left at the end to get out.

Edited by brigby1 2015-07-29 8:51 AM
2015-07-29 8:55 AM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia

When I am thinking about breaststroke, I am thinking of someone swimming a FINA legal (or close) breaststroke aiming to go at a steady pace for the distance (i.e. not just cruising along).

I am not insisting that it is hard than front crawl; I'm saying that in my experience, doing breaststroke for speed versus front crawl for speed, breaststroke is both harder and slower. A poor combination in a race situation.

I'm not disputing that some may find easy breaststroke easier than easy freestyle; simply because you get your whole head out of the water and if you aren't worrying about getting from point A to point B as quickly as possible, then cruising breaststroke might be easier for some, especially if they have balance issues in the water. That said, trying to do a full breaststroke with proper kick in a group of people is a bad idea so if someone is going to swim breast, they need to stay away from others out of courtesy.

Shane

Edited by gsmacleod 2015-07-29 8:55 AM
2015-07-29 8:59 AM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia

Thanks,
Mary

I would not do breaststroke with dolphin or whip kicks when others are around - both are likely to do damage to others. Perhaps start with free and then when you are clear, switch to breaststroke but be aware of when you are overtaking or being overtaken so that you can switch back or at least switch to flutter kick.

Shane

2015-07-29 9:11 AM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by marysia83 Hi, I want to add a couple things to this discussion. Freestyle (front crawl) is faster in the case you know both styles and have proper technique. I swim breaststroke (learned a proper technique about a month ago) and did 100 yards in 2 minutes (which I consider good for someone who has started training a little over a month ago). My speed for front crawl does not exist. I took lessons, I was practicing every day, I watched all youtube videos, I read tons of articles, tips, etc - I was not able to do one lap. I just completed my first sprint tri and I was faster than 2/3 of other athletes swimming other styles. I have another race, open water, coming next month and there is no way I would learn proper front crawl, so I just keep mastering my breaststroke. For next year, when I want to do OD, I will try to learn front crawl. Although, I will have about 10 months, and I am considering individual training. One thing I read about different styles used in triathlons: it's good to know both techniques, because you never know if there will be a condition you may need to go with breaststroke.

Took a look at some things and am curious what the lessons were? Some looking at what's been done as some things didn't sit right. The race results show a swim placing of 17/19 age group and 259/327. Not really sure what "other styles" meant, but it's how you're doing relative to everyone that matters. And with the amount of swim training, it seems to be mostly 7-14 minutes at a time for 300-500 yds. That may be all that can be fit in, but it's also mostly a warm-up even for a beginner. That's why it's hard to get anywhere. Also seeing 3 swims a week, were there more not recorded? Again, that might be all that can be done, but is different from "every day". When that's said by these guys from swim teams or clubs that was a rather literal term. 6-7 days a week and often being two sessions a day. Granted, that would be way more than what's necessary for your goals, but should also adjust perception of the term.

It seems like the breaststroking may be coming from natural ability, so would see less reason not to try starting to advance on front crawl more. Going back to the lessons, were those from a masters coach or swim team coach? Who gives the lessons can make substantial difference. Fully realize that this all may come across as harsh, but it's really intended to take an honest look at things. See what's going on and if perceptions are matching up with what's actually happening. That is where tracking things can be very valuable as everyone can have some mental drifting happen at times. Especially those who haven't done it as much.

2015-07-29 9:12 AM

User image

Originally posted by mike761If you do breaststroke with a nice long glide it is considered a recue stroke and is easy.If you do breastroke competitively for speed it is hard. I would put it on par with front crawl, some think it's harder.
You present it as a binary choice. Just like with crawl, there's a spectrum of intensity. My 100 free looks quite different than my 1650 free. Even comparing a 1.2 mile open water swim race to the 1.2 mile swim leg of an Olympic triathlon, there would be subtle differences.

IMO it might be the most technical stroke.  While what you see might look right there are more places to have flaws.  Putting all the pieces of reach, pull, recovery together with the kick are a little different then swimming free.  The kick has a recovery aspect to it that is different from free in that it's not a constant (probably wrong word to describe it) motion like the kick in free.  Same with the recovery in the arm stroke.  You mentioned your kids take lessons.  If they are on a swim team at their next meet pay attention to the kids who specialize in breaststroke and I think you will notice the difference. 

Edited by Goggles Pizzano 2015-07-29 9:33 AM
2015-07-29 9:13 AM
in reply to: gsmacleod

User image

Pro

Triathlon swimming aside, and maybe to Shane's point, the competitive swimmers that I get to spend time around all say that the breaststroke is the hardest to get competitive in.  There are stroke issues, kick issues, and most importantly, timing issues, that take years to get good at.  For some of them, the kick is REALLY hard to master.....it's not like the kick in any other stroke. 

Breaststroke for triathlon and breaststroke for competitive swimming really can't even be talked about in the same discussion.  They are COMPLETELY different animals.

2015-07-29 9:24 AM

User image

Denver, Colorado
Thanks so much for your feedback. No, I have not done open water before, therefore, I'm seeking your advices. I do not have a wet suit and I decided not to invest in one until I know I truly enjoy this sport.
We will go in waves, and I did have a plan to stay to the outside.
2015-07-29 9:27 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by marysia83 Can I ask your for an advice in open water: I will be swimming sprint distance in Lake Michigan (750 meters) in breaststroke. I really don't have an intention to hurt anyone, but at the same time I realize I will be still faster than some people - therefore, I don't want to stay in the back and simply wait until everyone is gone and I have enough space. I was thinking of starting with breaststroke arms with fly kicks until the group spreads out, and once we are not on top of each other, and there is more space, I would continue with breaststroke kicks. This will be my first time in open water, so I am not sure if that scenario makes sense - it works with running, so I assumed it sounds fair. I'm curious what you think. Thanks, Mary
Lake Michigan from what I hear is cold, so it will probably be wet suite legal- check past results or ask the RD. Do you have a wet suit? Sounds like you never did an open water swim before- its a lot different than a pool swim You will most likely start in waves- start in the back of your wave and to the outside. If our going to swim breastroke I suggest you swim the entire event on the out side away from most others. It might be slightly longer but not much, and will reduce the chances of you kicking some one. If it's a wave start and you don't swim to the outside there is a good chance of someone swimming over you.

This sounds like Chicago Tri. It's Lake Michigan water, but in a mostly protected harbor. Seawall/breakwater should keep at least most of the bigger waves down, but some might get through the boat access opening. Water temperature could be all over the place. Might warm some if there isn't as much exchange or it could turn over and be cold. Be ready for anything there.

Also, if it is Chicago Tri, there will seemingly be ~100,000 waves going off. You will overtake some people. You will be overtaken by people. Outside best you can is likely to be most appreciated by everyone. If I'm reading things right, it's mostly straight with a left at the end to get out.

Yes - it is Chicago Tri - have you done this one?
I know, especially since it's my first time in open water, there will be faster and better swimmers than me. I have no problem with that. I just want to make sure I don't cause too much damage.
Thanks for your advice - I will stay to the outside.

2015-07-29 9:35 AM

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by marysia83 Hi, I want to add a couple things to this discussion. Freestyle (front crawl) is faster in the case you know both styles and have proper technique. I swim breaststroke (learned a proper technique about a month ago) and did 100 yards in 2 minutes (which I consider good for someone who has started training a little over a month ago). My speed for front crawl does not exist. I took lessons, I was practicing every day, I watched all youtube videos, I read tons of articles, tips, etc - I was not able to do one lap. I just completed my first sprint tri and I was faster than 2/3 of other athletes swimming other styles. I have another race, open water, coming next month and there is no way I would learn proper front crawl, so I just keep mastering my breaststroke. For next year, when I want to do OD, I will try to learn front crawl. Although, I will have about 10 months, and I am considering individual training. One thing I read about different styles used in triathlons: it's good to know both techniques, because you never know if there will be a condition you may need to go with breaststroke.

Took a look at some things and am curious what the lessons were? Some looking at what's been done as some things didn't sit right. The race results show a swim placing of 17/19 age group and 259/327. Not really sure what "other styles" meant, but it's how you're doing relative to everyone that matters. And with the amount of swim training, it seems to be mostly 7-14 minutes at a time for 300-500 yds. That may be all that can be fit in, but it's also mostly a warm-up even for a beginner. That's why it's hard to get anywhere. Also seeing 3 swims a week, were there more not recorded? Again, that might be all that can be done, but is different from "every day". When that's said by these guys from swim teams or clubs that was a rather literal term. 6-7 days a week and often being two sessions a day. Granted, that would be way more than what's necessary for your goals, but should also adjust perception of the term.

It seems like the breaststroking may be coming from natural ability, so would see less reason not to try starting to advance on front crawl more. Going back to the lessons, were those from a masters coach or swim team coach? Who gives the lessons can make substantial difference. Fully realize that this all may come across as harsh, but it's really intended to take an honest look at things. See what's going on and if perceptions are matching up with what's actually happening. That is where tracking things can be very valuable as everyone can have some mental drifting happen at times. Especially those who haven't done it as much.

I signed up to this forum after the classes and some trainings, and I do not have those included in my log. And I don't think I was including warm-ups and drills, only the laps in proper form. I was practicing front crawl (or at least trying) for 5 days a week for about a month, in addition to the classes, and I just couldn't get it. It gave me so much frustration I decided I would focus on breaststroke and try to learn front crawl for next year (during fall and winter), and maybe try individual lessons. The instructor was not a master, as far as I know.
And I think my inability to learn crawl came from my head - I was mostly focused on how much time I have left to the race day and how little progress I was making. I guess this is where the frustration was coming from. And I truly believe if I give myself few months during winter to learn in easy and relaxing pace, I may be in a better shape.
Thanks again for your feedback and looking up at the log, I truly appreciate it.

Edited by marysia83 2015-07-29 9:38 AM
2015-07-29 9:38 AM

User image

Denver, Colorado

Thanks,
Mary

I would not do breaststroke with dolphin or whip kicks when others are around - both are likely to do damage to others. Perhaps start with free and then when you are clear, switch to breaststroke but be aware of when you are overtaking or being overtaken so that you can switch back or at least switch to flutter kick.

Shane

Thanks for your feedback.
My front crawl is very miserable in the pool, and could actually cause more damage in open water, than anything else. Although, my flutter kick from front crawl seems to work, so maybe I could try combing breaststroke arms and crawl kicks?
2015-07-29 9:46 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Originally posted by gary p How would you describe "proper" breaststroke? Why do you insist it's harder than crawl?
When I am thinking about breaststroke, I am thinking of someone swimming a FINA legal (or close) breaststroke aiming to go at a steady pace for the distance (i.e. not just cruising along). I am not insisting that it is hard than front crawl; I'm saying that in my experience, doing breaststroke for speed versus front crawl for speed, breaststroke is both harder and slower. A poor combination in a race situation.
I'm not disputing that some may find easy breaststroke easier than easy freestyle; simply because you get your whole head out of the water and if you aren't worrying about getting from point A to point B as quickly as possible, then cruising breaststroke might be easier for some, especially if they have balance issues in the water. That said, trying to do a full breaststroke with proper kick in a group of people is a bad idea so if someone is going to swim breast, they need to stay away from others out of courtesy. Shane

When swimming breaststroke as a 'recovery'  or endurance stroke it requires less intensity and certainly can help with breathing and sighting issues.  Those things can make it seem 'easier'.   The downside is that the in-water arm recovery creates more drag resistance and the slower pace means you're in the water longer, both requiring you to burn more overall energy.  

If a swimmer really has problems swimming a crawl stroke, I'd suggest trying conventional sidestroke, or a combat sidestroke, which is low-intensity but still allows reasonable forward progress and eliminates the whip kick issue..  FWIW, that's what were trained to use during our mile swim test in Navy flight school versus the breaststroke.

Mark

2015-07-29 9:51 AM

User image

Exton, PA

I signed up to this forum after the classes and some trainings, and I do not have those included in my log. And I don't think I was including warm-ups and drills, only the laps in proper form. I was practicing front crawl (or at least trying) for 5 days a week for about a month, in addition to the classes, and I just couldn't get it. It gave me so much frustration I decided I would focus on breaststroke and try to learn front crawl for next year (during fall and winter), and maybe try individual lessons. The instructor was not a master, as far as I know.
And I think my inability to learn crawl came from my head - I was mostly focused on how much time I have left to the race day and how little progress I was making. I guess this is where the frustration was coming from. And I truly believe if I give myself few months during winter to learn in easy and relaxing pace, I may be in a better shape.
Thanks again for your feedback and looking up at the log, I truly appreciate it.

Front crawl should be broken down a taught in pieces
bubbles
floating
kick
kick and breathing
arms
full stroke

most people are not taught properly and spend years trying to get it right. If you spent 5 days a week for a month trying and couldn't do it you were not taught correctly or you did not listen to your teacher.

You have to learn and get proficient at each piece before putting the stroke together. Once the stroke is put together it just clicks for most people- if they have gone through the proper procession.

The main difference between kids learning to swim and adults learning to swim is that kids will listen to their teachers.

2015-07-29 9:56 AM

User image

Denver, Colorado

bubbles
floating
kick
kick and breathing
arms
full stroke

most people are not taught properly and spend years trying to get it right. If you spent 5 days a week for a month trying and couldn't do it you were not taught correctly or you did not listen to your teacher.

You have to learn and get proficient at each piece before putting the stroke together. Once the stroke is put together it just clicks for most people- if they have gone through the proper procession.

The main difference between kids learning to swim and adults learning to swim is that kids will listen to their teachers.

I believe I listened to her. It actually looked "kind of" good when I was "in class", but when I was doing it by myself everything was ruined. Apparently breathing is my problem, as I get panicked and I just stop. Then I start again, and after few strokes - I panic again, and I stop again.

2015-07-29 9:59 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by marysia83 I signed up to this forum after the classes and some trainings, and I do not have those included in my log. And I don't think I was including warm-ups and drills, only the laps in proper form. I was practicing front crawl (or at least trying) for 5 days a week for about a month, in addition to the classes, and I just couldn't get it. It gave me so much frustration I decided I would focus on breaststroke and try to learn front crawl for next year (during fall and winter), and maybe try individual lessons. The instructor was not a master, as far as I know. And I think my inability to learn crawl came from my head - I was mostly focused on how much time I have left to the race day and how little progress I was making. I guess this is where the frustration was coming from. And I truly believe if I give myself few months during winter to learn in easy and relaxing pace, I may be in a better shape. Thanks again for your feedback and looking up at the log, I truly appreciate it.
Front crawl should be broken down a taught in pieces bubbles floating kick kick and breathing arms full stroke most people are not taught properly and spend years trying to get it right. If you spent 5 days a week for a month trying and couldn't do it you were not taught correctly or you did not listen to your teacher. You have to learn and get proficient at each piece before putting the stroke together. Once the stroke is put together it just clicks for most people- if they have gone through the proper procession. The main difference between kids learning to swim and adults learning to swim is that kids will listen to their teachers.

^^^  Hard truth

2015-07-29 10:03 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Exton, PA
Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by marysia83 I signed up to this forum after the classes and some trainings, and I do not have those included in my log. And I don't think I was including warm-ups and drills, only the laps in proper form. I was practicing front crawl (or at least trying) for 5 days a week for about a month, in addition to the classes, and I just couldn't get it. It gave me so much frustration I decided I would focus on breaststroke and try to learn front crawl for next year (during fall and winter), and maybe try individual lessons. The instructor was not a master, as far as I know. And I think my inability to learn crawl came from my head - I was mostly focused on how much time I have left to the race day and how little progress I was making. I guess this is where the frustration was coming from. And I truly believe if I give myself few months during winter to learn in easy and relaxing pace, I may be in a better shape. Thanks again for your feedback and looking up at the log, I truly appreciate it.
Front crawl should be broken down a taught in pieces bubbles floating kick kick and breathing arms full stroke most people are not taught properly and spend years trying to get it right. If you spent 5 days a week for a month trying and couldn't do it you were not taught correctly or you did not listen to your teacher. You have to learn and get proficient at each piece before putting the stroke together. Once the stroke is put together it just clicks for most people- if they have gone through the proper procession. The main difference between kids learning to swim and adults learning to swim is that kids will listen to their teachers.

^^^  Hard truth

That's the way I roll
2015-07-29 10:04 AM
in reply to: RedCorvette

User image

combat sidestroke, which is low-intensity but still allows reasonable forward progress

There's been a group of Navy guys training at the pool I use for the last few months.  I was kind of shocked how fast some of them could combat swim or sidestroke, which ever it's called.  Never saw or heard of it before.  Like most things it comes down to training as I started seeing them regularily.  But on the day they were tested a couple of them were moving along pretty good.

2015-07-29 10:11 AM

User image

Exton, PA

bubbles
floating
kick
kick and breathing
arms
full stroke

I believe I listened to her. It actually looked "kind of" good when I was "in class", but when I was doing it by myself everything was ruined. Apparently breathing is my problem, as I get panicked and I just stop. Then I start again, and after few strokes - I panic again, and I stop again.

If you were doing ok in class and fell apart on your own. What should you do? Answer- Spend more time in class before attempting it on your own.

You had a time line and went off on your own before getting proficient and building the muscle memory of how to do it properly.

My suggestion would be to start taking lessons again, with no time line; Just learn
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Breaststrokes anyone? Rss Feed  

of 5

RELATED POSTS

freestyle vs breaststroke which is better?

Started by mikep
Views: 14302 Posts: 19

2007-03-22 9:43 PM oceanannie

Breaststroke?

Started by JKat
Views: 1846 Posts: 20

2005-08-02 10:39 PM us50090

Forced to use only the Breaststroke, anyone else??

Started by tom39
Views: 3030 Posts: 18

2005-04-05 10:08 AM us50090

swimming humor for us that prefer breaststroke

Started by auto208562
Views: 1735 Posts: 5

2012-08-01 2:49 PM E=H2O

Swimming Stroke Front Crawl(freestyle) or Breaststroke(frogstyle)

Started by steven
Views: 6443 Posts: 20

2004-02-23 6:16 PM infosteward
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 5, 2008
author : EnduRight
comments : 0
Do you do that same freestyle stroke over and over? Why triathletes can benefit from swimming other strokes besides freestyle.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 0
Have no endurance? Try this routine for your first few months.