General Discussion Triathlon Talk » HR Zones from Sprint Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-07-29 3:38 PM

User image

Katy, Texas
Subject: HR Zones from Sprint
I've never done a HR zone test but I recently did a sprint with an HR monitor, can that data be used? I've always defaulted to the zones my 920 calculates but would like to know how accurate they are.

Here's everything my Garmin gave me. Can I use this or do I need to do a test of some sort?

Edit: A couple of notes that may or may not help:

-The highest I've ever seen my HR was 174 to date. It was running a 0.5 run as part of a triple brick
-There were a lot of tight circles in the run that the garmin short-cut around (it was in a park) so I have a tendency to believe the race was closer to 3.1 than what I had at 3.0 after looking at the map (it showed me cutting through the grass a number of times when it connected the GPS dots).
-There was a bridge in the bike portion that was 120' climb...so that was pretty much like Mt. Everest to me (those who know me know I'm dead serious) so that HR is as high as I've seen it on the bike.

Edited by 3mar 2015-07-29 3:49 PM

(bike.JPG)

(run.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
bike.JPG (30KB - 2 downloads)
run.JPG (44KB - 2 downloads)

2015-07-29 4:27 PM
in reply to: 3mar

Master
Northern IL
Subject: RE: HR Zones from Sprint

Any chance of getting into a time trial or a 5k-8k running race if you don't want to test? Triathlons have a number of parts which complicate things. You might get something workable, but that doesn't seem like the precision you would want.

2015-07-29 4:48 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by brigby1

Any chance of getting into a time trial or a 5k-8k running race if you don't want to test? Triathlons have a number of parts which complicate things. You might get something workable, but that doesn't seem like the precision you would want.

I'm doing a 5k in a couple of weeks actually. Should I just wait for that? I did a 40k time trial about a month ago. Here's the data on that. My heart rate wasn't nearly as high. I don't know what that means. Does it mean I wasn't pushing hard enough on the TT? I thought I was working pretty darn hard.

(time trial.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
time trial.JPG (25KB - 2 downloads)
2015-07-29 5:18 PM
in reply to: 3mar

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

That means your bike and run are not the same, as expected as the run is supporting more of your body weight that the bike  Seriously, consider doing the field LT test and related training zones. I know you have seen me post about this in the recent past. Read this, BT has the HR zone calc for this method too (LT).  My run LT average is 8 to 10 BPM higher than my bike LT test average.  I know someone that had a differential that was 22 BPM!

I learned to refrain from using HR during a sprint, in fact I don't even bother anymore during a race.  Even during a HIM early on when I was first training by LT HR zones I found coming off the bike my run HR was evaluated 10 bpm based on my RPE.  I stuck with my RPE and had a decent HIM, considering the unexpected heat that weekend for the Miami Man.  After that I used it during a Sprint 2-3 years afterward and forgot about the drift I seem to experience.  Sure enough I was running by HR but 30 sec slower than I normally should be, after 1.5 mile it came to me to ignore it and went by RPE which was much faster.

I must say that I am one of those that is slow to build for HR on the run, but off the bike when my HR is already elevated it likes to jack up even higher at or above my LT test average but RPE wise I am fine. 

If you're doing a 5k, IIRC its 95% of the HR average for LT as you always push the 5k harder than you would during an LT test without the push of competition.

BTW my family went to the lower Keys this past weekend, is the bridge at MM 107/106 or so the one you have to train for hills?  Not bad but I can definitely see your dilemma!

2015-07-29 5:20 PM
in reply to: Donto

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

I must add, I have no issue using HR on the bike after swimming, only after the bike on the run is my HR skewed.

2015-07-29 5:39 PM

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by Donto

That means your bike and run are not the same, as expected as the run is supporting more of your body weight that the bike  Seriously, consider doing the field LT test and related training zones. I know you have seen me post about this in the recent past. Read this, BT has the HR zone calc for this method too (LT).  My run LT average is 8 to 10 BPM higher than my bike LT test average.  I know someone that had a differential that was 22 BPM!

I learned to refrain from using HR during a sprint, in fact I don't even bother anymore during a race.  Even during a HIM early on when I was first training by LT HR zones I found coming off the bike my run HR was evaluated 10 bpm based on my RPE.  I stuck with my RPE and had a decent HIM, considering the unexpected heat that weekend for the Miami Man.  After that I used it during a Sprint 2-3 years afterward and forgot about the drift I seem to experience.  Sure enough I was running by HR but 30 sec slower than I normally should be, after 1.5 mile it came to me to ignore it and went by RPE which was much faster.

I must say that I am one of those that is slow to build for HR on the run, but off the bike when my HR is already elevated it likes to jack up even higher at or above my LT test average but RPE wise I am fine. 

If you're doing a 5k, IIRC its 95% of the HR average for LT as you always push the 5k harder than you would during an LT test without the push of competition.

BTW my family went to the lower Keys this past weekend, is the bridge at MM 107/106 or so the one you have to train for hills?  Not bad but I can definitely see your dilemma!

Thanks for the information. I'll hold off until the 5k and see where I am. I haven't done a test simply because it doesn't matter enough to me at this point to use a training day for the test. I feel like I can use the time better which is limited right now (I'd like to be at around 10hr/wk but am struggling to get to 8 which means the time I do spend out there I want to be high quality). If I could have got it "for free" from existing data, then cool, but it doesn't sound like it.

Like you I rely on feel for the most part, except in the Ironman where I heavily used the HR to maintain pace on the bike which I had a tendency to overdo on long rides.

That link is a good read, I hadn't actually read it before. I have to agree with the opening line however; 220-36 would have my max HR at 184...my chest would explode at 184. I've never been over 174 and that was totally red-lining.

And yes; that's the bridge. I did it this morning. If I ride there, go over it 4 times back and forth then come back it makes for 600 feet of elevation gain for a 33 mile ride. That's about the best I can do for hills. The killer is that you have to do a hairpin turn at the bottom of every descent so you lose all momentum ever time....but hey, it makes for a better workout.

2015-07-29 6:02 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Originally posted by 3mar

Thanks for the information. I'll hold off until the 5k and see where I am. I haven't done a test simply because it doesn't matter enough to me at this point to use a training day for the test. I feel like I can use the time better which is limited right now (I'd like to be at around 10hr/wk but am struggling to get to 8 which means the time I do spend out there I want to be high quality). If I could have got it "for free" from existing data, then cool, but it doesn't sound like it. Like you I rely on feel for the most part, except in the Ironman where I heavily used the HR to maintain pace on the bike which I had a tendency to overdo on long rides. That link is a good read, I hadn't actually read it before. I have to agree with the opening line however; 220-36 would have my max HR at 184...my chest would explode at 184. I've never been over 174 and that was totally red-lining. And yes; that's the bridge. I did it this morning. If I ride there, go over it 4 times back and forth then come back it makes for 600 feet of elevation gain for a 33 mile ride. That's about the best I can do for hills. The killer is that you have to do a hairpin turn at the bottom of every descent so you lose all momentum ever time....but hey, it makes for a better workout.

I saw there was a Key Largo to Key West 100 miler last weekend for the Ernest Hemingway weekend, some nuts did the 5k run in Key west afterward! My wife was like "oh jeez is that your next year thing!"  Heck we got a free offshore snorkeling, jet ski, parasailing, etc., trip due to the weather so why not! 

The simple thing is everyone is different, where are you one the bell curve for HR?  Only testing will tell if you are going to use it.  Longer the distance the more your HR can normalize to the event as long as you understand RPE vs HR.

Edited by Donto 2015-07-29 6:05 PM
2015-07-29 6:07 PM

User image

Katy, Texas

Originally posted by 3mar

Thanks for the information. I'll hold off until the 5k and see where I am. I haven't done a test simply because it doesn't matter enough to me at this point to use a training day for the test. I feel like I can use the time better which is limited right now (I'd like to be at around 10hr/wk but am struggling to get to 8 which means the time I do spend out there I want to be high quality). If I could have got it "for free" from existing data, then cool, but it doesn't sound like it. Like you I rely on feel for the most part, except in the Ironman where I heavily used the HR to maintain pace on the bike which I had a tendency to overdo on long rides. That link is a good read, I hadn't actually read it before. I have to agree with the opening line however; 220-36 would have my max HR at 184...my chest would explode at 184. I've never been over 174 and that was totally red-lining. And yes; that's the bridge. I did it this morning. If I ride there, go over it 4 times back and forth then come back it makes for 600 feet of elevation gain for a 33 mile ride. That's about the best I can do for hills. The killer is that you have to do a hairpin turn at the bottom of every descent so you lose all momentum ever time....but hey, it makes for a better workout.

I saw there was a Key Largo to Key West 100 miler last weekend for the Ernest Hemingway weekend, some nuts did the 5k run in Key west afterward! My wife was like "oh jeez is that your next year thing!"  Heck we got a free offshore snorkeling, jet ski, parasailing, etc., trip due to the weather so why not! 

The simple thing is everyone is different, where are you one the bell curve for HR?  Only testing will tell if you are going to use it.  Longer the distance the more your HR can normalize to the event as long as you understand RPE vs HR.

That is EXACTLY what my wife would say!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » HR Zones from Sprint Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

HR zone training test...a little worried about HR

Started by bigpaps
Views: 1138 Posts: 9

2012-03-26 4:51 PM Kido

Bike LT HR translate to run HR zones?

Started by tstick14
Views: 832 Posts: 5

2011-11-28 8:12 AM brigby1

Running HR zones and pace zones don't jive Pages: 1 2

Started by UrsusAdiposimus
Views: 3999 Posts: 38

2010-03-10 4:57 PM Experior

What HR zone for a 5k (from LT calculator for HR zones)? Pages: 1 2

Started by sdanaher
Views: 1856 Posts: 27

2009-10-19 11:48 AM sdanaher

HR zone questions...trouble staying in zones

Started by kimmitri408
Views: 1477 Posts: 11

2007-11-17 8:15 PM EABonney
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 24, 2015
author : BradSeng
comments : 0
While running, I've been really struggling to keep my heart rate down in the zone 2-3 range as frequently prescribed in the plan. This seems too slow?

date : September 6, 2011
author : mikericci
comments : 4
Triathlon Coach explains Zone 1 and Zone 2 training and the benefits of each training zone
date : April 12, 2007
comments : 4
Warmup tips. Swim, bike and run pacing and heart-rate zones to be in by mileage.

date : November 7, 2006
Training our bodies to work efficiently in Zone 2 will help us keep our HR and pace even throughout an Ironman. This theory would hold true for the bike and run portion of an Ironman race.
date : October 24, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
comments : 1
Discussions on keeping heart-rate down on hills, the fat burning zone, lactate threshold (LT) testing, max trainer hours, high HR on the run/walk, the 10% rule and different running workouts.

date : June 4, 2006
comments : 8
Training plan terms and definitions for use in silver and gold member plan workouts. Many workout drills include VIDEO tutorials, see links below.
date : October 24, 2005
The schedule consists of 3 workouts per week in each sport, 2 days of strength training and core work too. The maximum volume is around 7 hours toward the end of the 12 weeks.

date : December 14, 2004
author : Don Magie
Known for its brutal cadences, nasty sprints and 12-minute hills, the spin class seems to be the perfect substitute for a raunchy ride outside. But is it?