General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Weak leg after spraining ankle Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-08-04 8:15 AM

Sarasota, Florida
Subject: Weak leg after spraining ankle
About 10 years ago I fell off a second story while horsing around with some friends and sprained my ankle. I drove myself to the emergency room, waited 13 hours and was never seen due to triage. That ankle had a dull ache for years but has held up and the pain eventually went away.

However, that foot is noticeably loose. If I relax, it just kind of flops to one side or the other and I have to consciously control its placement while running to avoid pronating or supinating . I also noticed that calf muscle lost mass and is slightly thinner. As a result, I notice this leg feels weaker and often fatigues, cramps, and requires extra stretching. Basically, it has become my weak point and holds me back but has held up fine through many 10ks with no further injury.

Since I started training for my first tri, this leg has been acting up a little more. I notice the fatigue and pain from my hamstring all the way down to the ankle, and I usually eat bananas or take a spoonful of mustard to keep me going, but one leg is eagerly saying "give me more!" while the other is saying "just slow down!"

I'm hoping it will strengthen, but it seems the more I train, the more it acts up. It's frustrating because I feel like my other leg is getting stronger while this one is getting weaker. Has anyone ever heard of anything like this? How did you cope?

Edited by runtim23 2015-08-04 8:15 AM

2015-08-05 1:48 AM
in reply to: runtim23

User image

Subject: RE: Weak leg after spraining ankle
Haven't heard anything like this before, but I guess the problem with your hamstring can be diagnosed by physiotherapy. I had a similar problem with my hamstring for a long time and I was finding it very difficult to stretch my legs. I was not able to run for more than 2 or 3 miles. I tried many stretching exercise at home and nothing worked for me. Then I consulted a physio in Toronto of the Physiomed clinic ( http://www.physiomed.ca/) and I had 2 months of physiotherapy with him, which relieved the hamstring pain to a great extent. So it would be better to get an advice from a good physiotherapist regarding your problem.
2015-08-05 7:37 AM
in reply to: Horte232

Sarasota, Florida
Subject: RE: Weak leg after spraining ankle
If I could motivate myself for another doctor's appointment I guess I would, but to me this isn't that critical at this stage. I should have scheduled an appointment when I couldn't be seen at the ER, but after waiting 13 hours I was over it. I bought myself a crutch, iced it, and waited it out. If it starts cramping more I will definitely schedule something.

It's an odd sensation. My 13 mile bike ride yesterday, 2 miles into it, my calf was screaming with lactic acid and started twitching, then the fatigue and burning creeped up behind my knee, then into my hamstring. I ignored it and just kept pushing through and it's like I got a second wind and all the burning disappeared by mile 6. It does that kind of thing while running too. It starts in the calf and works its way up. I can ignore the weak feeling as long as I don't start cramping. So usually it's just a comfort thing and doesn't affect everyday life so I don't complain much.

I have come a long way. Like you, there was a point where I couldn't run more than a couple miles, but gradually built my mileage back up albeit with some pain, but 2 years into training I improved to my current condition then just quit improving.

I asked someone in the medical industry a while back, and they think the sprain was severe enough that my tendons and ligaments didn't heal completely, and damaged some nerves increasing atrophy from my initial disuse.

I have seen veterans with missing limbs, and people with muscular and neurological disorders finish these things so I know my condition is nothing by comparison, I'm just curious how to minimize discomfort and cramping.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Weak leg after spraining ankle Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Sprain ankle

Started by charlie
Views: 887 Posts: 2

2005-01-14 12:36 AM gr8brindle

Training with an ankle sprain/ chipped bone :(

Started by jdlake
Views: 926 Posts: 2

2004-12-21 12:15 AM gr8brindle

First sprained ankle, help

Started by Abby
Views: 997 Posts: 5

2004-10-13 9:38 AM momandmd

I thought it was an ankle sprain...

Started by sunnyone79
Views: 1310 Posts: 16

2005-01-04 9:10 AM Ken

Sprained Ankle

Started by silent
Views: 1178 Posts: 5

2004-06-28 9:32 AM COgirl
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 25, 2010
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
I did more therapy, more stretches, more exercises and stopped running for over six months. I am just coming back to triathlon after a year off due to this ankle injury.

date : May 25, 2009
comments : 0
In the fall I was running on some trails and rolled my ankle pretty bad. I took a few weeks off from running and let it heal. Every so often, my ankle feels swollen, or off.
date : May 5, 2008
author : marmadaddy
comments : 26
Men! Need to find out the best way to shave your legs? This video will compare 6 different leg shaving products to show male triathletes how to shave their legs.

date : March 20, 2005
comments : 0
What follows is information that may prove helpful to any triathlete who sustains an ankle sprain.