General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Best Cross Training Exercizes for triathletes Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 1

2015-08-05 9:43 AM

User image

Regular
Oregon
Subject: Best Cross Training Exercizes for triathletes
I have a few motivations for finding this out:

#1 upcoming off season....want to keep working out although I won't have any active training plans I'm following
#2 variation- relieve the monotony both in the tri season and in the off season (ex. "rest" days, or light weeks)
#3 generally hoping to be more toned. swimsuit body etc.

Prior to triathlon, I had worked with a personal trainer in the gym 2 days a week for about 3 years. So I have a pretty good idea how to use the equipment and what not....but designing a plan that meets my current goals is a little different.

here's what I do besides S/B/R:

pullups (mostly assisted with bands)
pushups
planks
elliptical machine
old boring ab/core routine that lasts a bout 20 mins
hiking
snowboarding

any ideas? I'm open to considering anything.

2015-08-05 9:50 AM
in reply to: themissj1981

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi
Subject: RE: Best Cross Training Exercizes for triathletes

Swimming, biking, and running kind of is cross training, isn't it?

2015-08-05 10:58 AM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Originally posted by msteiner

X2 - that's what i was going to say - hahaha!

So many good options and if you want to try stuff, it's definitely the time.

But I like yoga and pilates are good for building core strength and range of motion. And it's just what I like to do. If you like strength training or group classes - go for it. 

The offseason is a great time to do a single sport focus - such a train for a fall run race or use one of the specific focus plans to work on a weakness - on this site there is one of each, swim focus, bike-focus and run-focus. 

2015-08-05 11:47 AM

, Idaho
In all sports, most gains (especially after the first couple seasons) are to be found in the off season. So, swimming, biking, and running should be your main focus. Drill your weakness, compete in road races (cycling/running) or masters swim meets, etc. You can incorporate variation and rest. Consistency is key...keep swimming, biking, and running.

But, to answer your question:

1. Strength Training is great...lots of information online and in books about what exercises are good for triathletes. My favorite is a 3x per week circuit (including core work), usually done after my shorter runs (Barry P type plan). Strength training is not "cross training," rather it supports your triathlon training...The other area that supports the sport is diet...Don't forget to make diet a focus in the off season, if needed ("clean in, clean out")
2. Aqua running and Deep Water Running - Do this instead of elliptical machine...still easy on body but the fitness translates to running more directly than other aerobic machines/work
3. X Country Skiing
4. Hiking/Trail Running is great!
2015-08-05 11:52 AM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

I like circuit training at the local rec fields. For example: run 100 yards, 20 pushups, run 100 yards, 20 squats, run 100 yards, etc...

Sometimes I also pick just one exercise and do a ladder: run then 2 pushups, run then 4 pushups, run then 6 pushups... up to 20 pushups and then back down again. Total of 200 pushups.
2015-08-05 11:59 AM
in reply to: cassowary

User image

Pro

SWIM

2015-08-05 12:08 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Regular
Oregon
I'm not planning on quitting swim/bike/run in the off season. But without a specific training plan or goal race that I'm working towards my time spent S/B/R each week will decrease from about 10-15 hours per week down to about 6-8 hours per week for maintenance. I am on a master's swim team and other than a 2 week break after our end of summer long course meet, we don't scale back at all.

I guess I'm just wanting to incorporate some other things (if for no other reason than to ward off boredom) but wanted those other activities to have some function towards triathlon.

thanks for all the suggestions so far everyone!
2015-08-05 12:46 PM

User image

Exton, PA
Core strength is something most people could work on that will help with the bike and run.
2015-08-05 2:08 PM

User image

New user
madison, Wisconsin
If you are looking for true X-training (something that uses the body completely differently that your standard exercise), what about yoga? It's done me a lot of good both physically and mentally.
2015-08-05 2:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
I only do two things other than SBR. I will jump on a rower for 5000m. It's a great full body exercise, doesn't consume a ton of time, and is very aerobic. The other is upper body work. I do this at least once a week even in season, more often during the off times. I will vary what that looks like based on what equipment I have at hand.

That said, even in the off season most of my time is spent on a bike. I have only been in the sport a few years and I still love to ride.

2015-08-05 2:44 PM

User image

, Massachusetts
crossfit

2015-08-05 3:18 PM

User image

cross country skiing, water running, try a sport (soccer, basketball, racketball)
2015-08-05 3:30 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Challenges like the ST100 100day/100run break up the monotony a little.
It's from Dec 15, to March 24ish
2015-08-05 8:57 PM
in reply to: b2run

User image

Veteran
Calgary
Originally posted by b2run

cross country skiing, water running, try a sport (soccer, basketball, racketball)

I like these suggestions. Find something you can think of as playing rather than working out.

Cross country skiing works for me because of the speed and the chance to enjoy nature.
And I really enjoy squash and it's a great bonus that my son and I are pretty close in ability so that we can have an exciting game. (After 10 ish years of playing squash he won his first match against me a couple of weeks ago.)
But what works for you will be different
Don
2015-08-06 6:09 AM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

The off-season is a wonderful time to work of technique.  I recall from another thread that you are struggling with the swim.  Off-season is perfect for improving technique and swim fitness.

Beyond that - triathlon by definition is cross training.  Off-season is a good time to be working on your aerobic endurance base.

2015-08-06 6:27 AM
in reply to: mike761

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Originally posted by mike761 Core strength is something most people could work on that will help with the bike and run.

Swimming, particularly incorporating a mix of kick and stroke drills, is the best thing I've found to develop core strength.

Mark

2015-08-06 7:26 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Stillman Valley, Illinois
I am new here and just did first sprint triathlon. I completed at 29th out of 70 without really any tri training. I bought a bike and rode it twice and had some on off swims. For prior year most of my training was cardio type crossfit, pushups, spider pushups, pullups, weighted bucket carries, tire flips, sledgehammer, short fast runs, burpees, more burpees, box jumps, squat jumps, dumbell squats, jump in outs, mountain climbers, lunges, rope climbs, kettle swings, kettle clean and press.

My point here is don't think about too much- do high intensity as often as you can , full body movements simulating real life activites the body was meant to do and you will stay fit and probably improve your frame and core, in turn making your tri training easier.

Edited by cwiehle0 2015-08-06 7:54 AM
2015-08-06 8:32 AM
in reply to: cwiehle0

User image

Cypress, Texas
For core strength try a gymnastics class (if there is an adult class close to you)

Skating (ice or inline)

2015-08-06 8:44 AM

User image

Denver, Colorado
My tentative goals for off-season (even though this one has not ended yet...):

1. Learn front crawl
2. Work on endurance
3. Work on core
4. Improve diet and health habits; make sure to eat breakfast every day
5. As for race targets, I want to prepare for half marathon and OD triathlon
6. Improve running pace to 8 minutes/mile (last year from 10:30 to 9:20, this year from 9:30 to 8:50)

Just some beginner's stuff
2015-08-07 2:40 PM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Regular
Oregon
Thanks everyone for your ideas.

I am still on a master's swim team and planning to stick with it at least 3 days a week.

I will be cutting down my runs significantly to prevent injury, and due to upcoming crappy weather but will still maintain a "base running" level.

I will also be cutting back on biking a lot due to weather/daylight.

I think I'm going to replace some of that time with yoga/pilates and strength training.
2015-08-07 3:05 PM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

x2...and it's the best type of cross training to help triathletes.

Swim - work on the other three strokes (breast, back, fly).  Not only is more time and feel for the water better for your freestyle, but you'll engage your core, arms, and legs in different ways than you are used to.  Sort of like what yoga, pilates, etc would do...except these are swimming specific.

Bike - try mountain biking.  Off season is a good time to work on your short term power which is exactly what mountain biking can help force you to do.  It can also help your handling skills and confidence on the bike which should not be underestimated.

Run - trail running.  The uphills and downhills will again give your legs some good training that you normally don't get.  Might also help with strengthening some of the ligaments in your knees and ankles as you run over uneven surfaces.  The softer ground is also a good way to reduce some of the overall pounding that you get from the pavement as well during race season.

2015-08-07 3:13 PM
in reply to: Jason N

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Jason N

Swim - work on the other three strokes (breast, back, fly).  Not only is more time and feel for the water better for your freestyle, but you'll engage your core, arms, and legs in different ways than you are used to.  Sort of like what yoga, pilates, etc would do...except these are swimming specific.

Was going to add as a point of clarification for swimming, I believe that every time one mentioned swimming for cross training they meant to work on becoming a more complete swimmer. Some of these non-free things will help areas that you'll be trying to develop through yoga or strength training and they'll have the added benefit of being in the water. Things like dolphin kicking for fly and stronger pushes off the wall can help with core strength for the other sports.

But do remember that this is all supposed to be fun.

2015-08-07 3:16 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by Jason N

Was going to add as a point of clarification for swimming, I believe that every time one mentioned swimming for cross training they meant to work on becoming a more complete swimmer. Some of these non-free things will help areas that you'll be trying to develop through yoga or strength training and they'll have the added benefit of being in the water. Things like dolphin kicking for fly and stronger pushes off the wall can help with core strength for the other sports.

But do remember that this is all supposed to be fun.

Well...if that's the case, you shouldn't swim at all!!

2015-08-07 3:21 PM
in reply to: #5133182

User image

Extreme Veteran
I'm thinking of joining an adult water polo team. (I played in college). It's fun, a great workout and will make you want to swim more to keep up.

I also do cross country skiing.
2015-08-07 3:23 PM
in reply to: #5133738

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rock climbing can be a good core strength workout and the indoor gyms are fun!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Best Cross Training Exercizes for triathletes Rss Feed  

of 1

RELATED POSTS

Best cross training for running?

Started by morey000
Views: 1407 Posts: 12

2013-02-14 7:47 AM TankBoy

Cross training & half marathon training benefits?

Started by Bigpikle
Views: 985 Posts: 7

2009-11-17 11:56 PM Bigpikle

Incorporating Cross-Training into your Power Training?

Started by DRLski
Views: 858 Posts: 2

2009-07-27 6:46 PM DrPete

What is best "cross" training?

Started by louiskie
Views: 849 Posts: 3

2008-08-08 4:32 AM AdventureBear

Triathletes make better runners!!!

Started by slow&steady
Views: 1036 Posts: 9

2004-11-09 12:28 PM cavaliercrazy
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 1, 2012
author : CoachCK
comments : 0
Snowshoe running is a perfect form of winter cross training for athletes in colder climates. Here's what you need to know to get started.

date : March 10, 2011
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 1
Tinley on triathlon, aging, and the attitude of a masters athlete
date : November 6, 2008
Find out how the Flexible Warrior yoga poses can help triathletes through warmup, cross-training and recovery sequences. This segment is a series of active, range of motion poses used for warming up.

date : April 15, 2008
Find out how the Flexible Warrior yoga poses can help triathletes through warmup, cross-training and recovery sequences. This segment is a series of active, range of motion poses used for warming up.
date : December 11, 2007
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
Searching for the perfect gift for a friend, relative, or teammate? Here's a list of winning book suggestions for active people.

date : March 6, 2007
author : MegL
comments : 9
Because for everyone out there, crossing the finish line is more about life than the race itself.
date : April 9, 2005
author : AMSSM
Supplementing with glucosamine and chondroitin for joint health improvement for a member with a diagnosed chondromalacia patellar problem.

date : August 31, 2004
author : smeeko
At first triathlon training may seem scary and that is why I will try to summarize a few tips for whoever wants to try and get their feet wet with triathlon. I can assure you that you will be hooked.