General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Hello everyone - questions / need a sanity check on Olympic tri Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-08-06 2:37 PM

Subject: Hello everyone - questions / need a sanity check on Olympic tri
Quick background on myself - love to swim, bike and run. Got into cycling about three years back as I was getting bored with running. been swimming for quite some time to avoid injury and stay in shape in the winter. I used to do a lot of 5Ks, a few 8Ks, and a few half-marathons. Have had some small (ish) running ailments over the years, but nothing that gets in my way too much. I want to do my first triathlon in a few weeks, and i really would rather do an Olympic distance, but concerned with that distance being my first ever tri.

Currently i can swim one mile non-stop holding ~1:30 splits for each 100 yards. I can also swim up to 2 miles, if I give myself a quick 10-15 second rest every 600 yards. Need to do a few open water swims for experience, but this leg is definitely not my concern.

I usually ride 2 or 3 days a week. My typical ride is right around 20 miles, and I usually ride between 17-18 MPH. I've done a few rides this year at 25 miles, but I haven't pushed anything too extreme like 35-40 miles.

Running - I just got back into running this year after putting it aside for my newfound love of the bike. I've worked up to 6 mile runs right now, usually at about a 8:30 - 8:45 pace, but definitely slowing down towards mile 5 and 6 - 9:00 pace for many of those. Again - endurance a slight issue as I've not run over a 10K.

Recently, I ran a 5K to the gym, swam a mile, then ran a 5K back home. I did the swim in 28 minutes, and did the two runs in a total of 52 minutes. I was pretty gassed when I was done, but not in any pain or anything like that.

Am i crazy to think I could pile a 25 mile bike ride on top of that effort in the next three weeks? Or should I really try to slow down on race day? Or is this whole thing too much to do for my first tri? Any advice would be very welcome. Thanks a million, in advance.

2015-08-06 2:58 PM
in reply to: H2OhNo

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL
Subject: RE: Hello everyone - questions / need a sanity check on Olympic tri

Welcome to BT!

Based on your info it sounds like you shouldn't have any problems getting through an Oly distance race.  

I'd suggest that you try a couple of brick (bike/run) workouts prior to your race.  That will not only get your legs used to how the bike/run transition feels, but will also give you some feel for how hard to pace the bike while still leaving enough gas in the tank for the run.  

Good luck with your training and your race!

Mark

2015-08-06 3:52 PM
in reply to: H2OhNo

User image

Portland, Oregon
You can totally do it. Just plan not to push hard on either the bike leg or the run...Definitely do some bricks, and be prepared to feel like you're running slower than you actually are when you get off the bike. If you're starting your 6-milers at 8:30/mile but finishing at 9 min/mile pace, maybe think about trying to start your run leg at around 9 min/mile? Just trying to spare you the sufferfest that I had in the last 3 miles of my Oly last weekend when I started the run way too fast!

Good luck! Tell us how it goes!

Marty
2015-08-08 12:40 PM
in reply to: #5133468

Thanks to both of you. Hoping to try some bike/run work today. Was thinking going 5-6 miles on bike and then 1 mile run. Repeat a few times. Hopefully it goes well.
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Hello everyone - questions / need a sanity check on Olympic tri Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Hello everyone (and a few questions)

Started by axteraa
Views: 790 Posts: 7

2007-10-27 9:27 PM marymosc13

SAHM tri-ing to stay in shape and keep her sanity

Started by scsupermom
Views: 671 Posts: 3

2007-06-19 10:03 PM Ron

Hello everyone

Started by SlowGuy
Views: 1677 Posts: 25

2004-01-16 10:44 AM mikenhe

Hello Everyone.

Started by ssyba
Views: 1134 Posts: 6

2004-01-07 9:16 AM Ron

hello everyone

Started by fastdude
Views: 1069 Posts: 2

2003-12-10 2:06 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 20, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
I'm doing my first tri Saturday. It starts at 7 AM and the forecast is calling for a high of 82 (air temp). Do I need to rush out and get a wetsuit?