General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Chinese takeover of WTC? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-08-06 9:19 PM

Subject: Chinese takeover of WTC?
Saw this and thought you might be interested....

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/innovationNews/idUSKCN0QB2M120150...

Not sure what I think of this yet...but my initial reaction isn't all that positive. I think this has to play itself out and this report may be wrong, but if it's true, I think Challenge is probably quietly pleased.

2015-08-07 6:41 AM
in reply to: LarchmontTri

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX
Subject: RE: Chinese takeover of WTC?

In theory, WTC could be better operated by a company that isn't a private equity firm because then end goal is a little different.

I'm not seeing why Challenge would be enthused.  Their biggest competitor would now be owned by a company with far more money and reach than the previous owners.  Challenge, I should obviously point out, is also so far and away behind Ironman.  They have one race of note and popularity (Roth).  This is not a good piece of news for Challenge.  Trust me.

2015-08-07 3:44 PM
in reply to: #5133522

User image

Extreme Veteran
Acworth, GA
Subject: RE: Chinese takeover of WTC?
The title is misleading, don't you think? The Chinese government isn't the entity mentioned, it is a very wealthy investor that happens to be a Chinese citizen. His firm bought AMC theaters a couple of years ago as well so seems to me like he/his firm are investors in businesses.
Therefore, I would assume would have an interest in making a profit and return on the investment. How would that be different from the current ownership by WTC?

Maybe a change in ownership of the Ironman brand would be a good thing or maybe it would be a bad thing. Who knows until you see how the entity chooses to operate the company.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Chinese takeover of WTC? Rss Feed