General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Oh the bad runners that give good runners a bad name Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-08-20 7:57 PM

User image

New user
Austin, Texas
Subject: Oh the bad runners that give good runners a bad name

I was driving home from work tonight, and a gentleman decided that instead of waiting patiently for the walk signal with the rest of his running group, he'd rather run straight out into oncoming traffic, celebrating like Rocky with his hands high. I slammed on my brakes, narrowly missing him and gave him a good honkin, to which he responded with a double flipping of the bird. I was overcome with a furious road rage towards this self entitled fellow and realized that it only takes one butt hole to take us all many steps back in creating a good healthy relationship between runners/cyclists and automobile drivers. In short, no matter whether you're driving a car, riding a bike, running, walking, whatever, there are other people to consider and respect. Stepping down from my soapbox.

2015-08-20 8:36 PM
in reply to: trijamie

Subject: RE: Oh the bad runners that give good runners a bad name
Just two days ago I had dropped off my kids to summer camp, and saw a female, going downhill, blow through a red light at a four way intersection on a road bike with no helmet on. I wanted to get out of my car and personally apologize on behalf of bikers to all the other cars who also saw it happen.
2015-08-20 8:51 PM

User image

We need to stop stereotyping.  I know it's hard, and common nature, but stupid and arrogant people will act that way regardless of whether they are running, riding, driving, or pushing their shopping cart through the market.  The only people that should look bad because of their actions is themselves.  Whenever a non cyclist reminds me of the poor behavior they see other cyclists do on the road I try to remind them of that.  Just like I don't assume all drivers are reckless just because there are a few reckless drivers on the road here and there.  All people who chew gum are not punks just because a few leave their gum in places they shouldn't.

2015-08-20 9:11 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

New user
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by Jason N

We need to stop stereotyping.  I know it's hard, and common nature, but stupid and arrogant people will act that way regardless of whether they are running, riding, driving, or pushing their shopping cart through the market.  The only people that should look bad because of their actions is themselves.  Whenever a non cyclist reminds me of the poor behavior they see other cyclists do on the road I try to remind them of that.  Just like I don't assume all drivers are reckless just because there are a few reckless drivers on the road here and there.  All people who chew gum are not punks just because a few leave their gum in places they shouldn't.

An excellent point. I wish more people had such wisdom.

2015-08-21 1:27 PM

User image

Oakville

Originally posted by trijamie

I was overcome with a furious road rage towards this self entitled fellow and realized that it only takes one butt hole to take us all many steps back in creating a good healthy relationship between runners/cyclists and automobile drivers.

Or to bad drivers.  Despite being lit up like a Christmas tree, I was almost hit running outdoors the other night.  Car rolled right through a stop sign and would have hit me if I didn't play it safe and wait and make sure they were going to stop.  Glad our treadmill is being repaired today so I can go back to the safety of my basement.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Oh the bad runners that give good runners a bad name Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Careful out on the road...this is BAD,BAD,BAD

Started by Z-dog
Views: 2921 Posts: 22

2008-05-12 1:19 PM eberulf

D'oh - not good - I'm a bad person Pages: 1 2

Started by kevmk81
Views: 1990 Posts: 29

2008-01-02 12:33 PM smilford

Am I screwed...bad runner

Started by aggiecatcher
Views: 1169 Posts: 9

2007-06-07 3:31 PM Donto

New bike: bad news, good news, bad news, good news

Started by jonathan22
Views: 2013 Posts: 12

2007-02-05 6:33 AM jonathan22

Guys like me give triathletes a bad name Pages: 1 2

Started by Rogillio
Views: 1793 Posts: 36

2006-03-11 11:27 AM monkeyboy64
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 28, 2015
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
Are grains really all that bad for us? To listen to some athletes talk, you'd think grain foods are the dieter's demon. Often demoted to being “just carbs,” whole grains are more than that.

date : April 26, 2010
author : mrakes1
Discussions on good vs bad sugars, fluid loss replacement, clean eating, the Paleo diet and are gels necessary for olympic races.
date : February 22, 2010
author : AMSSM
I've seen posts on chronic achilles pain, but nothing on recovery from surgery. I don't know the difference between the good pain and the bad when training.

date : March 17, 2008
author : BWL
comments : 4
Using tri training for breaking bad habits, getting healthy and gaining confidence plus a little bit of humility.
date : July 3, 2006
author : mrakes1
As we speak, a team of scientists, biochemists and nutritionists are performing experiments on the upcoming revolutionary product for improving your athletic performance.