Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Where did all the BTers go? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 16

2015-09-01 9:00 AM
in reply to: mrbbrad

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Where did all the BI proTers go?

Originally posted by mrbbrad

Originally posted by Left Brain

Just how many people have been banned from BT?  I guess I don't pay attention, but I can't think of anyone that has been banned in the 4 years I've been here except Bryan.....and I don't know if he was banned permanently or just didn't come back or what.

I was banned for a week once

I sat in time out as well....but I can't remember for how long.

2015-09-01 11:16 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by mrbbrad

Just how many people have been banned from BT?  I guess I don't pay attention, but I can't think of anyone that has been banned in the 4 years I've been here except Bryan.....and I don't know if he was banned permanently or just didn't come back or what.

I was banned for a week once

I sat in time out as well....but I can't remember for how long.

I fortunately have never been banned, but I did manage to get a few threads pulled.  I remember the first one was when my netflix account was filled with recommendations for gay movies.  For some reason me posting about netflix thinking I was gay was a little too offensive.  

2015-09-01 11:16 AM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

btw, what is a "BI proTers"? (from subject) that sounds kind of offensive.  

2015-09-01 11:55 AM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
I have been on the forum for about 5 years now. I found this forum while preparing for my first triathlon and not only did I get hooked on the sport but hooked on the website/forum.

I would say for a solid 3 years, I was on this site all day, every day. I learned a TON of information from very informative users who had a great deal to contribute to new people like me. I have been fortunate enough to meet a few people from this site at various races and lots of people helped me prepare for my Ironman last year. I owe a lot to this site but I am far less active now then I have been in the past.

Some of the reasons I am not as active on this site are:

1.) I am taking this year off from triathlon. After coming off such an emotional high from finishing IMMT last August, I think I am a little burned out. I cant event look at my bike without wanting to kick it. Right now, I just dont have the desire to train like I used too. Since I am not training reguarly, I do not log any workouts and therefore, no reason to really log on.

2.) I have learned a lot and I know that I don't know it all, but I have a good understanding of the sport and my own knowledge of how I race that I do not need to get on daily to read about racing/training and asking for advice. Over the past 5 years, I have gotten that covered. I still like to contribute to others when I can and check in on other users from time to time but thats about it.

3.) Forums are less active...I get online and other then the main forum, nothing has been posted in several weeks. I think that seeing a lack of interest from other members makes me less interested in posting/reading.

4.) Time- I just work a ton and have a lot going on in my life right now. I do not get online anywhere near as much as I used too.

5.) I am training in a different way currently. Now dont get this wrong, I love TRIATHLON but I found that I lost a lot of muscle training for longer distance races and I didnt want to be "Skinny Fat" anymore. What I am doing now is mixing my love for running with another workout program that shall remain nameless (Cough**Crossfit**Cough). In the past 2 months I have been doing this, I feel stronger, am stronger, look better and my knee injury from my last half marathon has gone away. I will re dedicate myself to some smaller races for the 2016 season but right now I am focused on changing my body to have more lean muscle mass and have more overall fitness.

I love this site and the people on it have helped me in more ways then they will ever know. This website changed my life and I will be a part of it for as long as it is around. Although I am not as active as I once was, I don't plan on going anywhere but I will be around a lot less for the time being.

I miss melon presses !
2015-09-01 12:17 PM
in reply to: dmbfan4life20

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by dmbfan4life20

1.) I am taking this year off from triathlon. After coming off such an emotional high from finishing IMMT last August, I think I am a little burned out. I cant event look at my bike without wanting to kick it. Right now, I just dont have the desire to train like I used too. Since I am not training reguarly, I do not log any workouts and therefore, no reason to really log on.

Careful, that was me after IMWI in 2012.  I'm still burnt out and want to kick my bike every time I see it.  lol

2015-09-01 12:51 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Brooklyn, New York
Subject: RE: Where did all the BTers go?
Originally posted by Rogillio

Originally posted by chirunner134

I think it was my fault. I had this crazy notion that triathlons were a way to have fun swimming, biking and running and people were over-thinking things. This really rubbed people the wrong way and they accused me of endangering lives! Hmmph, so much for my attempt to weed out the gene pool! So, f-it, I just I quit posting before I killed more people and ruined more lives.

Not sure how you endangered lives.

I posted once that I biked 75 miles with just one bottle of water and no fuel to explore limits of my body. That one statement probably killed dozens of beginners who didn't know any better and would try the same thing....or so I was told.

Another time I supposed that one could train their body to burn fat by training with less calories than you needed......I was made to sit in a corner with a dunce cap on for a week one. People would post their college degree and their certified trainer certificate while announing I was a danger to all that was good and decent in the world today.

And one time I tried to save lives and I said people were idiots for intentionally biking in the rain becasue the roads were slick and visibility was low and stopping distances of the cars was less....and I was told that you had to train for all race conditiontion (even if it meant risking your life!). Go figure!

Lot of good memories.....

:-)

Damn, I really showed up too late for these forums. I'm a new guy to these forums and don't post often because many a topic has already been discussed and stressed ad nauseum if you use the search function. I'll try to keep my posting to poignant necessity. I have also appreciated the straight forward tough love approach of guy like LB, Shane, etc. All around though, it is a very gentle forum, I guess I wasn't around in the rougher days

Edited by TJHammer 2015-09-01 12:54 PM

2015-09-01 2:35 PM

User image

Champion
Alabama

Bryan once called me a biatch. I often think about that when I think about how people hide behind the anonimity of the internet.
2015-09-01 2:41 PM

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by Donto

Originally posted by Rogillio Ever wonder how someone can have 5,000 posts and you've never seen their name before?
Mike if you're speaking about me you are losing you mind!  I'm definitely not be the most vocal on this site but I do participate with feedback on what I know about.  I do believe it was you a long time ago that had a bike fit question with a pic and I reposted the pic with some lines and angles on it for you.  The site's search engine seems to be down right now otherwise I'd try and find it. 

Have no idea what you are talking about or what you are referring to! I just find it interesting that someone could have XX,000 post and I don't recognize their screen name. But, as was pointed out, it depends on where they posted....and my failing memory. I recognize many/most of the most prolific posters' screen names, including yours, but some of them I don't ever remember them posting.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

Edited by Rogillio 2015-09-01 2:45 PM
2015-09-01 4:31 PM
in reply to: Rogillio

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Bryan once called me a biatch. I often think about that when I think about how people hide behind the anonimity of the internet.

Uh...What chu talkin' bout' Willis?...Bryan was never anonymous here...Why are you crying like a little...uh, never mind.  

2015-09-01 4:47 PM
in reply to: TriMyBest

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by TriMyBest

Uh...What chu talkin' bout' Willis?...Bryan was never anonymous here...Why are you crying like a little...uh, never mind.  

LOL

You are right, he was not anon.....but he would never have said that to my face.

OTOH, you can call someone an f'ing d-head if you accompany it with a wink and a charming smile.....something hard to do on the Internet.
2015-09-01 5:30 PM

User image

Pro

LOL You are right, he was not anon.....but he would never have said that to my face. OTOH, you can call someone an f'ing d-head if you accompany it with a wink and a charming smile.....something hard to do on the Internet.

I don't know.....he could pretty easily outrun you.

2015-09-01 6:47 PM

User image

Champion
Alabama

LOL You are right, he was not anon.....but he would never have said that to my face. OTOH, you can call someone an f'ing d-head if you accompany it with a wink and a charming smile.....something hard to do on the Internet.

I don't know.....he could pretty easily outrun you.

True. He could prolly outrun me with me on my bike.....but I'd eventually catch him....probably around mile 93 or so.
2015-09-01 7:05 PM

User image

Pro

That's not a bad plan actually.......you could fall on him at that point and starve him out.  That's what I'd do.

2015-09-01 9:07 PM

User image

Champion
Alabama

That's not a bad plan actually.......you could fall on him at that point and starve him out.  That's what I'd do.

Ok then, that's my play. Now, all I need to do is fid that bat rastard and get himto call me a biatch againg whist I sit on my bike and hope he runs away on back roads.
2015-09-02 10:55 AM

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills
Originally posted by DaveL

I took a bit of a hiatus as well and when I back I noticed the same thing.

While never prolific in posting in COJ I too took a hiatus from BT + triathlons having been a bit burned out after my second IM distance race. When I came back I saw that most of the friend I had have since moved on from triathlons (with a few, like me, making their way back).

Think it has less to do with the tweaks to website and more to do with the fact that training 15+ hours per week and then spending time on BT is not sustainable over the years. People change jobs, have kids, get married ... do other things.

My hope is that when they come back they will find some friends still active in the sport and BT (like I did) and rekindle their love for endurance sports (like I am).

Just so long as we keep BT's ethos the same - and not become like that other forum slow twitch - I think BT will remain a place where people can come to learn about how to complete a triathlon and start a healthy lifestyle.

It is, however, incumbent upon us to make it so by being welcoming, by pointing out more than someone's seat post is too high and by sometimes answering the same question for the 100th time ("no, you do not wear underwear with cycling shorts").

Glad to see the old-school BT'er on the thread ...

Edited by brian 2015-09-02 10:55 AM
2015-09-02 1:40 PM
in reply to: brian

User image

Master
Cumming, Georgia

I think Facebook has a lot to do with the decrease in traffic.  I know a lot of folks that cut back using BT after the triathlon club created a Facebook page.  Most of the discussions moved there.  

As others have mentioned, I also think the mentor groups played a role.  Clicks were formed as people formed their little groups.  

Lastly, I think there was big surge back in +/- 2008 of triathlon popularity and that is starting to wear off for a lot of folks.  I personally have taken a break from triathlons.  I have too many other hobbies and interest to do long course training/racing anymore.  Moving and a new job has also shifted my focus a little bit.  I just don't enjoy the training like I used to.  I still pop in and browse BT a couple of times a week but man the traffic is definitely down from a couple of years ago.

2015-09-02 3:05 PM
in reply to: brian

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Originally posted by brianJust so long as we keep BT's ethos the same - and not become like that other forum slow twitch - I think BT will remain a place where people can come to learn about how to complete a triathlon and start a healthy lifestyle. It is, however, incumbent upon us to make it so by being welcoming, by pointing out more than someone's seat post is too high and by sometimes answering the same question for the 100th time ("no, you do not wear underwear with cycling shorts"). Glad to see the old-school BT'er on the thread ...

When I first got hooked on triathlons back in 2004, I searched for all the tri sites I could find online.  In short order I joined , BT, ST, and Tri-Newbies Online. 

At that time ST was one of the snarkiest places on the web - a tough place to hang out unless you had pretty thick skin.  And BT was as you stated, a warm and welcoming safe place.  Most of the early BT members were true beginners and there was, and still is,  a lot of mutual support and exchange.  

However In the intervening years, ST has toned down quite a bit thanks to Dan's moderation.  It's not the fearsome place its reputation makes it out to be.   I've spent a lot more time there the last few years as have some other long-term BT members (including several banned from here).    It's still pretty hard core, but much more civil and full of lots of knowledgeable hard-core triathletes.

If anything, IMHO, BT has become almost too vanilla, too PC.  I can't remember the last time I saw anyone use the sarcasm font.  At one time there was a lot of sophisticated humor and running jokes . Fun stuff.  Not so much anymore.

Mark 

2015-09-02 3:28 PM
in reply to: RedCorvette

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas

If you like ST so much, why don't you stay over there, Mark?

2015-09-02 4:03 PM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
I can't believe all the activity this thread is getting!
I found BT in 2004 and used a free program to get across the line of my first tri. Didn't make an account and start logging until 2005, and even then I was never super active. I came and went, as I never really got bitten hard by the tri bug, but I liked the people and support. The Challenges were my favorite, and I attribute my good fitness in 2007 to the Challenge Forum, 100%. (Those legs....Halloween Running Challenge 07)
Anyway, I never spent a ton of time on the forums, and honestly I seemed to be a bit of a thread killer. I'd post on a nice active thread and *poof* gone. Just checking to see if that's still the case this time around.
Now I'm off to log some pizza time

Edited by Atlantia 2015-09-02 4:03 PM
2015-09-02 6:50 PM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
Originally posted by RedCorvette

Originally posted by brianJust so long as we keep BT's ethos the same - and not become like that other forum slow twitch - I think BT will remain a place where people can come to learn about how to complete a triathlon and start a healthy lifestyle. It is, however, incumbent upon us to make it so by being welcoming, by pointing out more than someone's seat post is too high and by sometimes answering the same question for the 100th time ("no, you do not wear underwear with cycling shorts"). Glad to see the old-school BT'er on the thread ...

When I first got hooked on triathlons back in 2004, I searched for all the tri sites I could find online.  In short order I joined , BT, ST, and Tri-Newbies Online. 

At that time ST was one of the snarkiest places on the web - a tough place to hang out unless you had pretty thick skin.  And BT was as you stated, a warm and welcoming safe place.  Most of the early BT members were true beginners and there was, and still is,  a lot of mutual support and exchange.  

However In the intervening years, ST has toned down quite a bit thanks to Dan's moderation.  It's not the fearsome place its reputation makes it out to be.   I've spent a lot more time there the last few years as have some other long-term BT members (including several banned from here).    It's still pretty hard core, but much more civil and full of lots of knowledgeable hard-core triathletes.

If anything, IMHO, BT has become almost too vanilla, too PC.  I can't remember the last time I saw anyone use the sarcasm font.  At one time there was a lot of sophisticated humor and running jokes . Fun stuff.  Not so much anymore.

Mark 

X2. My experience and path has been very similar.
2015-09-03 1:47 AM
in reply to: dmiller5

Originally posted by dmiller5

Originally posted by tuwood

Originally posted by dmiller5

The banning of Bryan especially ended up being a big deal to me....started to lose interest in serious conversations to some extent when he was booted.  Guy was a wealth of information.

Can't remember why he left but Tom Demerly is sorely missed too.  I still get to see his cats on facebook every day though.  lol

The growth of other outlets has gotten a lot more.  There's a local Tri group on on Facebook that has exploded over the years, so most of the beginner type questions that would have normally come to a place like BT are being answered by local people who you can go hang out and train with.

Tom left because he got a new job that didn't require him to be active in the forums...he was great to have around, but his motives were definitely for himself/his work

Yup

2015-09-03 8:18 AM
in reply to: Puppetmaster

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
I miss Tom's 15+ option polls that seemed to come on a daily basis. They were always a bit of a riot as everyone piled on.
2015-09-03 9:13 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by RedCorvette

At one time there was a lot of sophisticated humor

A horse walks into a bar....barkeepper says "Why the long face?"
2015-09-03 9:18 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by RedCorvette At one time there was a lot of sophisticated humor

I don't get it.

2015-09-03 9:34 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama

Originally posted by RedCorvette At one time there was a lot of sophisticated humor

I don't get it.

OK, let me try this one.

A dog walks into a bar with his front leg in a sling and a six-shooter on his hip. Dog says, "I'm looking for the man who shot my pa!"

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Where did all the BTers go? Rss Feed  

of 16