Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 40

2016-01-27 7:47 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
Subject: RE: Trump

Looks like skipping debates is all the rage these days.

Wonder why this one hasn't been the lead story on every news channel:
Bernie Sanders’s Campaign Says He Would Sit Out Unsanctioned Debate

2016-01-28 10:36 AM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

So after watching this thing play out the last few days, I'm beginning to wonder if Trump has come up with yet another brilliant marketing scheme.

Not only is he stiffing the debate, he's doing a head to head program to draw attention to and raise money for the Vets.  CNN, MSNBC, and CNBC have already announced they're picking up the Trump broadcast.  There's a high likelihood that he will outdraw the ratings of the debate itself and cost Foxnews a lot of money.

If that's the case, you talk about raising the bar on the media.  The media has constantly forced candidates to do what they want and they always buckle so as not to look bad.  Trump is giving a resounding middle finger to the media (Fox News at that) and he may very well come out ahead.  If that's the case, and Fox loses millions of dollars in revenue, they will be forced off their pedestal of arrogance.

I've seen a lot of various talks of Reagan walking away from various things to get what he wanted.  When he met with Gorbachev in Iceland, Gorbachev flat out refused to submit to any US demands so Reagan got up and walked out of the meeting.  Gorbachev was interviewed later, and confessed that he wasn't expecting him to walk out and immediately knew he lost the engagement.  He later caved to all demands.

I guess if you have a big enough stick and more importantly enough support from the masses, you can get crap done.  There's no way any other candidate on either side of this election cycle could even remotely pull off something like this.  Fast forward that to international policy, we're used to our leader bowing to the whims of all other countries so as not to offend.  Eff that, we need a real leader with the balls to do what it takes to get what is best for our Country.

2016-01-28 10:41 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by tuwood

So after watching this thing play out the last few days, I'm beginning to wonder if Trump has come up with yet another brilliant marketing scheme.

Not only is he stiffing the debate, he's doing a head to head program to draw attention to and raise money for the Vets.  CNN, MSNBC, and CNBC have already announced they're picking up the Trump broadcast.  There's a high likelihood that he will outdraw the ratings of the debate itself and cost Foxnews a lot of money.

If that's the case, you talk about raising the bar on the media.  The media has constantly forced candidates to do what they want and they always buckle so as not to look bad.  Trump is giving a resounding middle finger to the media (Fox News at that) and he may very well come out ahead.  If that's the case, and Fox loses millions of dollars in revenue, they will be forced off their pedestal of arrogance.

I've seen a lot of various talks of Reagan walking away from various things to get what he wanted.  When he met with Gorbachev in Iceland, Gorbachev flat out refused to submit to any US demands so Reagan got up and walked out of the meeting.  Gorbachev was interviewed later, and confessed that he wasn't expecting him to walk out and immediately knew he lost the engagement.  He later caved to all demands.

I guess if you have a big enough stick and more importantly enough support from the masses, you can get crap done.  There's no way any other candidate on either side of this election cycle could even remotely pull off something like this.  Fast forward that to international policy, we're used to our leader bowing to the whims of all other countries so as not to offend.  Eff that, we need a real leader with the balls to do what it takes to get what is best for our Country.

No matter how crazy and stupid the stuff that comes out of his mouth may sometimes be, anyone who underestimates Trump is a fool.

2016-01-28 3:57 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas

I just don't understand how he could possibly have real Republicans or conservatives convinced that he is genuinely a conservative.  Tony is the only person who I have ever heard argue for Trump.  No Republicans or conservatives I know have said they support him.

Edited by Hook'em 2016-01-28 3:59 PM
2016-01-28 4:25 PM
in reply to: Hook'em

User image

Buttercup
I don't think anyone (not referring to anyone on this site) believes he's a Conservative or is moored by GOP values. He is first and foremost an authoritarian.

I've been saying / writing for years that these labels are meaningless. They espouse values that they don't live up to. They mean nothing. They are just convenient labels with which to pit one group against another. The efficacy has finally worn off.

William F. Buckley is dead and has been for some time.
2016-01-28 4:26 PM

User image

Master
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Bronze member
Trump seems like the antithesis to the dictionary definition of conservative: "disposed to preserve existing conditions, institutions, etc., or to restore traditional ones, and to limit change."

Voting for him seems like a complete flier to me. He could turn into anything really as we have no history or even solid platform statements (that seem based in reality at least) to go by. How is that conservative!

I still think he has near zero chance in the general for a host of reasons, not the least of which is his extremely low favorability rating, which would be the lowest on record if he wins the nomination.

So, on that note - GO TRUMP!

2016-01-28 4:29 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by Hook'em

I just don't understand how he could possibly have real Republicans or conservatives convinced that he is genuinely a conservative.  Tony is the only person who I have ever heard argue for Trump.  No Republicans or conservatives I know have said they support him.

I think his "silent majority" is a pretty good summation of his supporters.  They're not very vocal and kind of lurk in the shadows. (I'm a bit of an exception of course).

I have discovered I have quite a few Trump people in my friend group locally and several of them even surprised me.  My Moms a lifelong Democrat and even voted for Obama twice (gag).  She lives in rural Iowa, so I always like to take her political pulse on things.  She loves Trump, and it has nothing to do with me.  I was quite shocked to be honest.

He certainly isn't "the conservative" candidate, but he does draw a fair amount of support from self proclaimed conservatives.  The trick that's making him as successful as he is though is how he draws support across all Republican Demographics.  You have Cruz who is almost exclusively hard core conservative support, and then you have the Rubio/Bush/Christie types who draw from the moderate/establishment areas, but get zero from the conservatives.
Trump is loved and hated across the board, but he gets enough out of each block to get the numbers he's getting.

I've seen several articles the past few days describing him as the hybrid liberal/conservative candidate.  He has most certainly supported a lot of progressive things in the past and he's also been very conservative on things in the past, but I don't get the feeling people are that worked up about the issues this time around.  People want the corruption and wasteful spending to end, period.  I honestly don't care if Trump is currently espousing that he's pro-choice because it's not the reason I support him.

2016-01-28 4:34 PM
in reply to: ejshowers

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by ejshowers Trump seems like the antithesis to the dictionary definition of conservative: "disposed to preserve existing conditions, institutions, etc., or to restore traditional ones, and to limit change." Voting for him seems like a complete flier to me. He could turn into anything really as we have no history or even solid platform statements (that seem based in reality at least) to go by. How is that conservative! I still think he has near zero chance in the general for a host of reasons, not the least of which is his extremely low favorability rating, which would be the lowest on record if he wins the nomination. So, on that note - GO TRUMP!

I do agree there's a chance to be taken if he wins.  However, being 100% sure that all the other bought and paid for candidates (on both sides) will continue with more of the same makes me more than willing to take that chance.

2016-01-29 10:03 AM
in reply to: ejshowers

User image

Buttercup
Originally posted by ejshowers

Voting for him seems like a complete flier to me. He could turn into anything really as we have no history or even solid platform statements (that seem based in reality at least) to go by. How is that conservative!

Trump has proudly said that, as a business man, he has no integrity - he will say or support anything if it advances his greed agenda. It would certainly be consistent and logical to assume that he would apply the same lack of integrity to political office - say or support anything if it advances his power agenda.

How would one know what he really means to do or accomplish, what his agenda is in taking power, what policies he will pursue? You can't know. His words are only a means to an end - get votes. His words don't illuminate his ideas or thoughts. They are used only to garner votes. Only Donald knows what his real agenda is. A vote for Trump is a vote for the unknown.
2016-01-29 10:13 AM
in reply to: Renee

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Renee
Originally posted by ejshowers Voting for him seems like a complete flier to me. He could turn into anything really as we have no history or even solid platform statements (that seem based in reality at least) to go by. How is that conservative!
Trump has proudly said that, as a business man, he has no integrity - he will say or support anything if it advances his greed agenda. It would certainly be consistent and logical to assume that he would apply the same lack of integrity to political office - say or support anything if it advances his power agenda. How would one know what he really means to do or accomplish, what his agenda is in taking power, what policies he will pursue? You can't know. His words are only a means to an end - get votes. His words don't illuminate his ideas or thoughts. They are used only to garner votes. Only Donald knows what his real agenda is. A vote for Trump is a vote for the unknown.

I think that's a stretch.

2016-01-29 2:34 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
I don't really think it's a stretch at all. I think we have a general idea, but to the extent that he hasn't really been forthcoming about any specifics, except things that are ludicrous (like building a huge wall and having Mexico pay for it), I don't think anyone knows. And, given Trump's long storied history of changing his mind or backing out of deals or just generally being capricious, I'm not sure how much I'd be inclined to trust his promises anyway, assuming he ever made any.

I think Renee's right that he's just saying and doing whatever he thinks will get him the most votes, and it's clearly working. No one who supports him seems too interested in trying to hold him to any particular position or to get him to be specific about anything. Unlike the other candidates, there's no history to look back at, so he's really a blank slate politically.

It's kind of amazing to me that so many people are willing to throw their votes behind a guy who has no political history to base any presumptions about the future on, and who hasn't really talked specifics at all about what he would do if elected. I guess it's just the state of the Republican Party that people figure that taking a shot in the dark with a complete political unknown is a better option than any of the known candidates.

2016-01-29 2:55 PM
in reply to: jmk-brooklyn

User image

Pro

Originally posted by jmk-brooklyn I don't really think it's a stretch at all. I think we have a general idea, but to the extent that he hasn't really been forthcoming about any specifics, except things that are ludicrous (like building a huge wall and having Mexico pay for it), I don't think anyone knows. And, given Trump's long storied history of changing his mind or backing out of deals or just generally being capricious, I'm not sure how much I'd be inclined to trust his promises anyway, assuming he ever made any. I think Renee's right that he's just saying and doing whatever he thinks will get him the most votes, and it's clearly working. No one who supports him seems too interested in trying to hold him to any particular position or to get him to be specific about anything. Unlike the other candidates, there's no history to look back at, so he's really a blank slate politically. It's kind of amazing to me that so many people are willing to throw their votes behind a guy who has no political history to base any presumptions about the future on, and who hasn't really talked specifics at all about what he would do if elected. I guess it's just the state of the Republican Party that people figure that taking a shot in the dark with a complete political unknown is a better option than any of the known candidates.

Dude - maybe I needed to be more clear.....I think it's a stretch to even say Tru7mp has an agenda.  I'm convinced he's winging it......and the reality show audience is eating it up.  I've said for years that TV turns your brain to mush......wait until you see these zombies elect that idiot. LMAO

Sorry Tony......but your man is killing me with his stupid crap.  I think you have reasons for your support.  But I can't find many others who do.

Still......I PROMISE....if the Dems give us Hillary as a candidate and the GOP gives us Trump....I will vote for Trump.  I'll take an idiot over a conniving liar.

2016-01-29 3:10 PM
in reply to: Renee

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by Renee
Originally posted by ejshowers Voting for him seems like a complete flier to me. He could turn into anything really as we have no history or even solid platform statements (that seem based in reality at least) to go by. How is that conservative!
Trump has proudly said that, as a business man, he has no integrity - he will say or support anything if it advances his greed agenda. It would certainly be consistent and logical to assume that he would apply the same lack of integrity to political office - say or support anything if it advances his power agenda. How would one know what he really means to do or accomplish, what his agenda is in taking power, what policies he will pursue? You can't know. His words are only a means to an end - get votes. His words don't illuminate his ideas or thoughts. They are used only to garner votes. Only Donald knows what his real agenda is. A vote for Trump is a vote for the unknown.

When/Where did he say that?

2016-01-29 6:44 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

I think after Election Day 2016 the US and our friends/enemies will have a very good idea of the number of US citizens who are susceptible to CULTS!

I don't like any of them, but Politics is still a profession. Far less honorable than before, but still requires a unique temperament and skill set.

The Donald has neither.   He's a pu##y!

And BTW, Donald, WHERE IS THE MONEY YOU KEEP PROMISING TO DONATE TO VETERANS! 

2016-01-29 7:06 PM
in reply to: jeffnboise

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by jeffnboise

I think after Election Day 2016 the US and our friends/enemies will have a very good idea of the number of US citizens who are susceptible to CULTS!

I don't like any of them, but Politics is still a profession. Far less honorable than before, but still requires a unique temperament and skill set.

Dang, he just did the fundraiser last night.  lol

2016-01-29 8:45 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado

Seems like the veterans would like to see some actions and plans, and not just donations:

http://www.npr.org/2016/01/28/464744418/veterans-criticize-empty-pl...

2016-01-30 7:21 AM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
"A house divided against itself cannot stand." .

http://digg.com/video/colbert-trump-debate
2016-01-30 7:55 AM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by marysia83

Seems like the veterans would like to see some actions and plans, and not just donations: http://www.npr.org/2016/01/28/464744418/veterans-criticize-empty-pl...

I would expect no less from the liberal network.

2016-01-30 7:58 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by jmk-brooklyn "A house divided against itself cannot stand." . http://digg.com/video/colbert-trump-debate

Purely from a political standpoint, it's absolutely amazing how Trumps been insulated from the flip flops.  There's no question he's flip flopped on numerous issues, but people don't seem to care at all.
Cruz and Rubio are going after each other for seemingly changing their opinion or being slightly inconsistent on amnesty and everybody's going nuts.  Whereas Trump is clearly on record as having multiple positions.

My opinion is that his position on various social issues is in no way where he derives his support.  I think he could come out and say he's still pro-choice and it wouldn't effect his support.  My support for him isn't in any way tied to social issues and I fully expect him to be very moderate to liberal in that arena.

2016-01-31 7:01 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY

Originally posted by jmk-brooklyn "A house divided against itself cannot stand." . http://digg.com/video/colbert-trump-debate

Purely from a political standpoint, it's absolutely amazing how Trumps been insulated from the flip flops.  There's no question he's flip flopped on numerous issues, but people don't seem to care at all.
Cruz and Rubio are going after each other for seemingly changing their opinion or being slightly inconsistent on amnesty and everybody's going nuts.  Whereas Trump is clearly on record as having multiple positions.

My opinion is that his position on various social issues is in no way where he derives his support.  I think he could come out and say he's still pro-choice and it wouldn't effect his support.  My support for him isn't in any way tied to social issues and I fully expect him to be very moderate to liberal in that arena.

Why should it be amazing? There are only a few reasons why people are supporting Trump and none of them have anything to do with his political views, because no one even knows what they are.
2016-01-31 7:14 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by jmk-brooklyn

Why should it be amazing? There are only a few reasons why people are supporting Trump and none of them have anything to do with his political views, because no one even knows what they are.

LOL  Including Trump........ but he appears to be the only candidate who remembers that it no longer matters.  Obama started the trend, Trump has perfected it.

We're rat- f*cked. 

2016-02-01 10:24 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Now you know how Conservatives felt in 2008.  lol

Hope and Change = Make America Great

I don't support him at all for his political views.  I support him for being an outsider who isn't bought off.  If Trump weren't in the race and Bloomberg was I'm pretty sure I'd be gravitating towards him for the same reasons.  I do still have political ideology that I care about, but I'm 100% convinced that anyone who has somebody pay a billions dollars for them to get elected into office is never going to have my best interests at heart no matter what letter they have behind their name.

2016-02-01 12:12 PM

User image

Veteran
St. Louis

I don't support him at all for his political views.  I support him for being an outsider who isn't bought off.  If Trump weren't in the race and Bloomberg was I'm pretty sure I'd be gravitating towards him for the same reasons.  I do still have political ideology that I care about, but I'm 100% convinced that anyone who has somebody pay a billions dollars for them to get elected into office is never going to have my best interests at heart no matter what letter they have behind their name.

Here's the thing I can't figure out. You're so worried about electing a politician that isn't bought off by big business that you're literally willing to put big business straight in to the White House. How does that make any sense? All that does is eliminate the middleman. He's the chairman and CEO of a multi-billion dollar global corporation. There is no doubt in my mind that he wouldn't hesitate to use his powers as president to help out the bottom line of the Trump Organization. Even if he were to quit the family company (which I don't think he's ever said if he would or not), it's not like he's walking away from it entirely. He's passing it on to his kids and will be just as financially and emotionally invested in its success. So maybe Trump can't be bought off in the traditional sense, but he's still owned by a corporation.

If electing a politician who has not been bought off is truly your #1 priority, you need to be voting for Bernie. The guy has been in Congress for over two decades and has a net worth that's probably less than yours. He's clearly hasn't been bought off. 

2016-02-01 1:37 PM
in reply to: Bob Loblaw

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by Bob Loblaw

Here's the thing I can't figure out. You're so worried about electing a politician that isn't bought off by big business that you're literally willing to put big business straight in to the White House. How does that make any sense? All that does is eliminate the middleman. He's the chairman and CEO of a multi-billion dollar global corporation. There is no doubt in my mind that he wouldn't hesitate to use his powers as president to help out the bottom line of the Trump Organization. Even if he were to quit the family company (which I don't think he's ever said if he would or not), it's not like he's walking away from it entirely. He's passing it on to his kids and will be just as financially and emotionally invested in its success. So maybe Trump can't be bought off in the traditional sense, but he's still owned by a corporation.

If electing a politician who has not been bought off is truly your #1 priority, you need to be voting for Bernie. The guy has been in Congress for over two decades and has a net worth that's probably less than yours. He's clearly hasn't been bought off. 

There are certainly things I like about Bernie and I've mentioned before that I'd take him any day of the week over Hillary.  The problem with Bernie, corrupt or not, is that he is overtly telling us he is going to spend the country into oblivion.  I appreciate his honestly, but his spending plan is worse than a drunk sailor coming to port after 6 weeks underway.

As for Trump, I totally agree that he is not without strings and even if it's not his company there are likely other "interests" that he's friendly to that he will assist.  However, he won't be obligated to do that.  He's not obligated to send a $100B project to Trump Inc. and he's not Obligated to send billions to the unions.  He's not obligated to send billions to green energy.  He's not obligated to look the other way when financial reform comes to vote.  etc.

Even Bernie has a lot of big donors out there with big bucks primarily coming from unions.  He's nowhere near as bought as Hillary or Jeb, but he is going to be obligated to support quite a few people who put him in office.

I know Trump's nowhere near perfect and there are things about him that make me nervous.  I'm not a blind fanboy, believe it or not.  I am just so disgusted with the political machine that I want a freaking wrecking ball to come to town and clean house.  I know that's not how our system works, but if he does stand fast on rooting out corruption and cause all kinds of hell in Washington then I will be very happy.  It's hard to say this with a straight face when talking about Trump, but we need an adult in the White House.  My 17 year old daughter has more fiscal responsibility than any of the idiots currently in Washington today.

2016-02-01 2:52 PM
in reply to: Bob Loblaw

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Originally posted by Bob Loblaw

I'd take it a step further and say that he wouldn't hesitate to use his powers as president to help out big business in general. since that's who he is and where he comes from. As I've said before, why would you expect him to champion the needs of the average worker when he's spent his entire life trying to squeeze his labor force for as much profit as possible? Why would you expect him to champion financial reforms when he's spent his entire career trying to get around them for the purpose of making as much money as possible? Why would you expect him to put up guardrails to protect small business when he's spent his entire career trying to crush small businesses who compete with his giant global corporation?

And you can't even say that he's always been a model of fiscal sanity and restraint, because his businesses have gone bankrupt more than once. You of all people are fond of suggesting that the buck stops at the top. Again, you can't have it both ways. Either he's responsible as Chairman for the bankruptcies that have happened within his portfolio or not.
New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Trump Rss Feed  

of 40