Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 40

2015-11-12 9:33 PM
in reply to: jeffnboise

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
Subject: RE: Trump

I know a lot of the Progressives here aren't too worried about Trump, but apparently the party as a whole is.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/poll-hillary-clinton-bests-sanders-as-the-democrats-change-candidate/

But which Republican presidential candidate would be the most challenging for the Democratic nominee? At this point, Democratic primary voters say it's Donald Trump: 31 percent say he would be the most difficult Republican for a Democratic nominee to beat. Ben Carson (15 percent) is a distant second, followed by Marco Rubio (13 percent) and Jeb Bush (13 percent).

2015-11-12 9:50 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

He couldn't possibly be any more comical/zany than all of the craziness going on in my state......I'd vote for him just to wake up, see that he won, and bust up laughing.

Edited by Left Brain 2015-11-12 9:51 PM
2015-11-13 8:11 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Pro

On the other hand, I listened to him yesterday in Iowa......he's friggin nuts.  LOL

2015-11-13 8:23 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by Left Brain

On the other hand, I listened to him yesterday in Iowa......he's friggin nuts.  LOL

I haven't listened to his Iowa speech yet, but I did see a few headlines on a conservative blog about it being his best speech to date.  haha

Now I'm definitely going to have to listen to it.

2015-11-13 8:42 AM

User image

Master
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Bronze member

Agree. He just joined Ben in the loony bin. No chance in H-E-double hockey sticks he will be out next Prez.
2015-11-13 8:47 AM
in reply to: ejshowers

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by ejshowers

Agree. He just joined Ben in the loony bin. No chance in H-E-double hockey sticks he will be out next Prez.

We have loony Berney, looney Hillary, looney Trump, looney Carson.

I just don't see how you can still say he has no chance.  He's leading in every poll on the Republican side and leads Hillary in most head to head polls.  It's like Bagdad Bob to say he has no chance, IMHO.

I kind of get it because I just couldn't see how anybody would support and vote for Obama and plenty of people did.  You may not like Trump, but there is a growing majority of people that do.

2015-11-13 9:32 AM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Master
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Bronze member
Here's my simple logic, barring a 911 type disaster, economic meltdown or the FBI indicting Hillary:

1. Polls at this point are virtually meaningless unless they show a huge margin.
2. Demographics favor the D's. They did in 2008, more so in 2012, and they move that way about .4% each year, so that's another 1.6 in favor of Ds. Old white guys are dying off fast.
3. Ds start with a significant Electoral College advantage.
4. Hillary will do very well among women, the largest voting bloc.
5. Trump has alienated minorities at every turn. He won't even get Romney's tiny %, which the Rs need to equal at least to be stand a chance.
6. The economy is doing OK. The Ds can show steady improvement in many measures since 2008 and plausibly say "Who wants to go back to policies that led to the mess GWB left us?"
2015-11-13 9:36 AM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Originally posted by tuwood

I know a lot of the Progressives here aren't too worried about Trump, but apparently the party as a whole is.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/poll-hillary-clinton-bests-sanders-as-the-democrats-change-candidate/

But which Republican presidential candidate would be the most challenging for the Democratic nominee? At this point, Democratic primary voters say it's Donald Trump: 31 percent say he would be the most difficult Republican for a Democratic nominee to beat. Ben Carson (15 percent) is a distant second, followed by Marco Rubio (13 percent) and Jeb Bush (13 percent).

Coinsidering that Trump is, now that Carson's in trouble, the only GOP candidate who's getting any traction whatsoever, who else would you expect them to say? That doesn't mean they're "worried" about him, only that he'd be the "most difficult to beat".

At this point, Trump wins that title by default, since nobody else seems to be getting much support at all.
2015-11-13 9:39 AM
in reply to: jmk-brooklyn

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Originally posted by jmk-brooklyn
Originally posted by tuwood

Coinsidering that Trump is, now that Carson's in trouble, the only GOP candidate who's getting any traction whatsoever, who else would you expect them to say? That doesn't mean they're "worried" about him, only that he'd be the "most difficult to beat". At this point, Trump wins that title by default, since nobody else seems to be getting much support at all.

ding ding ding.

which democrat are republicans most worried about? Hillary by default right?  same kind of thing.

2015-11-13 9:45 AM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Pro

I think there are quite a few......actually A LOT....of people who will vote for Trump as a way to "hit back" at the protesting that has been going on.  The problem with the protestors (who I happen to believe have some really good points, along with some not so good ones) is that their agtenda does not leave any room for compromise.  They want some people and systems absolutely destroyed.....and there are times when their "target aquisition" is horrible.  The protest movement is seen as 100% Dem......and there are many people who feel like they want to do something to show their dissagreement with the "movement", or at least how it has manifested itself, but they don't know what to do or don't want to draw their attention.  Voting for Trump works for them.  You shouild not dismiss them.  A backlash, in some form, is coming.  

2015-11-13 10:20 AM

User image

Buttercup
General election polls a year out are weak predictors of outcomes. So sayeth Fivethirtyeight.com. http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/a-year-out-ignore-general-elect...

Anecdotally, Herman Cain and Michelle Bachman were leading in the run-up to the Iowa voting. Who remembers how quickly they fizzled out once a couple (or three) states had their primaries?

2015-11-13 10:22 AM

User image

Master
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Bronze member

I think there are quite a few......actually A LOT....of people who will vote for Trump as a way to "hit back" at the protesting that has been going on.  The problem with the protestors (who I happen to believe have some really good points, along with some not so good ones) is that their agtenda does not leave any room for compromise.  They want some people and systems absolutely destroyed.....and there are times when their "target aquisition" is horrible.  The protest movement is seen as 100% Dem......and there are many people who feel like they want to do something to show their dissagreement with the "movement", or at least how it has manifested itself, but they don't know what to do or don't want to draw their attention.  Voting for Trump works for them.  You shouild not dismiss them.  A backlash, in some form, is coming.  

I am not sure who this group of people are that you are referring to, as I have not met a single person that would vote R (especially a Trump loony R) solely as some sort of protest vote against protesters, and I have not seen any articles or TV coverage about them (if you have link, please share), but I'd guess this group (if they exist) would already be comfortably in the traditional R voting block and largely in already-R states.

How dies this expand the R reach meaningfully into areas they need in order to overcome the D demographic and electoral college advantage?
2015-11-13 10:52 AM

User image

Pro

Unfortunately I have been involved quite a bit with the portesting and the discussions around it.  I doubt, yet, that there is any data compiled to show how it will affect voters......but i believe it will have a much larger effect then you think it will.  My own wife, born and raised in Berkley, Ca. and without a doubt the most liberal person I know, will not back anyone who has any affiliation with, or who backs in any way,  the "movement".  She tells me that many of her friends feel the same, even though they agree with many of the premises.

Perhaps you are in a part of the country where this has not been a daily part of your life for the last 18 months.....but I don't, and I'm in contact with many others in other parts of the country who have been affected almost daily by this.....they feel the same.  There will be a backlash......how big is open to conjecture for sure.

2015-11-13 11:29 AM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY

I'm not reading between the lines here, I guess-- what movement are we talking about?

If you're referring to Black Lives Matters and the like, I have to agree with the poster below that I don't see that having much of an effect outside of traditonally red states and conservative demographics who would vote for Trump anyway.

I don't think it will sway too many people who would otherwise have voted for Clinton or Sanders. I suspect that anyone who would be inclined to vote for Trump over a Democrat based on the Dem's relationship to the movement probably wouldn't have voted for Obama in the last election and that didn't turn the tide either.

Unless we're talking about a different movement, in which case, I dunno...
2015-11-13 11:56 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

I'm not reading between the lines here, I guess-- what movement are we talking about? If you're referring to Black Lives Matters and the like, I have to agree with the poster below that I don't see that having much of an effect outside of traditonally red states and conservative demographics who would vote for Trump anyway. I don't think it will sway too many people who would otherwise have voted for Clinton or Sanders. I suspect that anyone who would be inclined to vote for Trump over a Democrat based on the Dem's relationship to the movement probably wouldn't have voted for Obama in the last election and that didn't turn the tide either. Unless we're talking about a different movement, in which case, I dunno...

Same "movement"....although at this point there are many offshoots of BLM, and collectively Twitter and other Social Media platforms have taken to simply calling it "the movement". 

I don't know about every state and how they traditionally vote.....but I know that Missouri is typically a "swing state".......it won't go to the Dems this time around.

And I don't agree with your premise about people who didn't vote for Obama last time.  LOTS of people voted for Obama who will not vote for Clinton or maybe any Dem.  IMO.

Edited by Left Brain 2015-11-13 11:58 AM
2015-11-13 1:03 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by ejshowers Here's my simple logic, barring a 911 type disaster, economic meltdown or the FBI indicting Hillary: 1. Polls at this point are virtually meaningless unless they show a huge margin. 2. Demographics favor the D's. They did in 2008, more so in 2012, and they move that way about .4% each year, so that's another 1.6 in favor of Ds. Old white guys are dying off fast. 3. Ds start with a significant Electoral College advantage. 4. Hillary will do very well among women, the largest voting bloc. 5. Trump has alienated minorities at every turn. He won't even get Romney's tiny %, which the Rs need to equal at least to be stand a chance. 6. The economy is doing OK. The Ds can show steady improvement in many measures since 2008 and plausibly say "Who wants to go back to policies that led to the mess GWB left us?"

I do agree that current polls are meaningless towards the general, but they're very valid towards the primaries and Trump has crushed them since the day he announced.  Sure, he's gone up and down a little, but always been on top.  He will be the nominee barring any Trump caused disasters.

As for Demographics and such favoring the D's I would respectfully disagree based on elections in the last 7 years.  Under President Obama, Democrats have lost 900+ state legislature seats, 12 governors, 69 House seats, and 13 Senate seats.  If they're in such strong demographic control why is this happening?  I'll give you a hint, its because the people do not like what the Democrats have done.
You mention the minority vote, but Trump is polling stronger in minorities than any other Republican to the point that the Democrats are very concerned. SurveyUSA did a poll a month or two back that had him receiving 25% of black support and 31% from Hispanics. These numbers are unheard of for any Republican.

Democrats are in denial. Their party is actually in deep trouble

The Democratic Party is in Deep trouble:

The Democratic Party is in a deep, deep hole

The Democrats are in huge denial about the underlying problems of their platform and the party as a whole. I suspect they'll trot out another "war on women" type campaign that will be received with a collective eye roll.

2015-11-13 1:09 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

I'm not reading between the lines here, I guess-- what movement are we talking about? If you're referring to Black Lives Matters and the like, I have to agree with the poster below that I don't see that having much of an effect outside of traditonally red states and conservative demographics who would vote for Trump anyway. I don't think it will sway too many people who would otherwise have voted for Clinton or Sanders. I suspect that anyone who would be inclined to vote for Trump over a Democrat based on the Dem's relationship to the movement probably wouldn't have voted for Obama in the last election and that didn't turn the tide either. Unless we're talking about a different movement, in which case, I dunno...

Same "movement"....although at this point there are many offshoots of BLM, and collectively Twitter and other Social Media platforms have taken to simply calling it "the movement". 

I don't know about every state and how they traditionally vote.....but I know that Missouri is typically a "swing state".......it won't go to the Dems this time around.

And I don't agree with your premise about people who didn't vote for Obama last time.  LOTS of people voted for Obama who will not vote for Clinton or maybe any Dem.  IMO.

My Mom is a barometer I always like to check with the elections.  We don't talk politics very much, but she's a traditional Iowa farmer Democrat from way back.  She liked Obama and voted for him twice (I should have disowned her, but I digress).  I saw her over Halloween and asked her what she thought about the Presidential race and Hillary and she said she really liked Trump.  I coulda gave her a big bear hug, but it really surprised me to be honest.  She's in her mid 70's and lives on social/security and isn't somebody I would have thought would support him.
Like him or not, he has a very broad appeal across a ton of demographics.  I saw a poll a few weeks ago that he was leading the pack by a ton on very single issue there was.  It's unheard of and is in many ways similar to Obama's appeal.  The "Hope" of him fixing everything was so great there wasn't anyone that could overcome it.

2015-11-13 6:07 PM

User image

Master
Sunny Southern Cal

The attacks in Paris will likely bolster Trump's candidacy.

2015-11-13 8:08 PM
in reply to: Renee

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by Renee General election polls a year out are weak predictors of outcomes. So sayeth Fivethirtyeight.com. http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/a-year-out-ignore-general-elect... Anecdotally, Herman Cain and Michelle Bachman were leading in the run-up to the Iowa voting. Who remembers how quickly they fizzled out once a couple (or three) states had their primaries?

I hear this argument a lot, but I think there's a slight difference.  Herman Cain and Michelle Bachman were "flavors of the month" that spiked up and then fell back down similar to what iCarly did this year.  All the while Romney was always right there either in first or barely behind them.  With Trump, he's been the leader in virtually every poll since he announced.  Carson has held steady as well, but he's always been consistently behind Trump.  
There have been other flavors of the month (as in every election) that have risen and then fallen, but Trumps lead is so astronomical that they barely break out from the pack.

If anything, the historical polls are far more favorable to Trump than any of the other candidates because he's the long steady candidate like Romney was and the others are consistently below him.

2012 RNC Primary polls:

2015 RNC Primary: (Reuters)

2015-11-13 10:34 PM

User image

Buttercup
Cain and Bachmann tanked once the voting started. Cain received the most coverage in 2011 (Pew Research) and even out-polled Obama for a brief period. Bachmann was polling ahead of Romney for awhile. Her campaign fell apart by December, as did Cain's. Perry and Gingrich spanked Romney in the polls late in 2011. Their gains in the polls did not translate to primary wins.

In your chart, you'll notice that Romney didn't break away from the pack until 2012 - when primary voting occurred.

In 2007, Hillary was the leading, dominant contender for the Democratic Party. Things changed rapidly once the primary voting started in 2008.

Trump is, of course, doing a phenomenal job with polling. But until the primary voters start casting votes, it's just a popularity game.
2015-11-16 9:16 PM

User image

Expert
Columbia, MO

What part of MO are you in?

2015-11-20 8:39 AM
in reply to: bsjracing

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Thoughts? Honestly, I can't believe we're even talking about this. Mandatory registration to a government-controlled database solely for people of a particular religion? Is this really what we're becoming?

http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2015/11/20/donald-trump-draws-fire-for-comments-on-muslim-database/

"In response to a question from NBC News at a campaign stop later Thursday in Newton, Iowa, about whether he would create a database to track Muslims, he said, 'I would certainly implement that. Absolutely,' while signing autographs.

Muslims would be registered to the database at 'different places,' not just mosques, he said, and registration would be mandatory. It wasn’t clear if he was referring to registering American citizens, immigrants or both."

2015-11-20 9:06 AM
in reply to: jmk-brooklyn

User image

Master
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Bronze member
My thoughts? Disgusting, but not surprising given him and the current state of the R party.

He exhibits so many human traits that I find absolutely horrible I still have to pinch myself when I see him in the "presidential" news to makes sure I am not having a nightmare.
2015-11-20 2:14 PM

User image

Pro
Tejas
The headlines started after Yahoo News published an article Thursday based on an interview with the Republican presidential candidate. The reporter apparently asked Trump whether new security measures might involve a database to register Muslims in the U.S.

When he replied, “We’re going to have to — we’re going to have to look at a lot of things very closely” including mosques, Yahoo News reported that Trump did not “rule [the database] out.”

Is there a video of this?
2015-11-20 2:50 PM

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs

Originally posted by ejshowers He exhibits so many human traits that I find absolutely horrible I still have to pinch myself when I see him in the "presidential" news to makes sure I am not having a nightmare.

It saddens me that he has gotten this much traction. If he really appeals to people as a Presidential candidate then our nation is hurting for sure.

New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Trump Rss Feed  

of 40