General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Weekday bike fitness training for IMAZ Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
Weekday bike fitness training for IMAZ
OptionResults
5 workouts described in Option 10 Votes - [0%]
3 workouts described in Option 20 Votes - [0%]

2015-09-08 1:59 PM

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA
Subject: Weekday bike fitness training for IMAZ
Hello everyone!

I'm entering my September training block for IMAZ and want to focus on building up my bike fitness. I was wondering what would benefit me more for this race.

Option 1:
2 bike workouts about 1 hour each on Tuesday and Wednesday (1 workout in Z2 on the trainer then a lunch break ride done at moderate/somewhat hard effort (Z2-Z3?) with hills (depending on weather conditions of course). Then a 1 hour sufferfest on the trainer Thursday morning.

Option 2:
A bike day off and 1:00 Z2 run with intervals on Tuesdays, a 1:00 or more bike / 0:30 run brick Wednesday, 1:30 sufferfest on the trainer Thursday.

Option 3-?:
Your suggested weekday bike workouts.

I like to spread out my runs across 5-6 days (1 brick, 1 interval, 2 medium, 2 short active recovery) a week and am currently working adding short runs of 30-60 minutes after my long bike rides Saturdays as September progresses. After work on Tuesdays I currently do a short run on the track doing intervals and drills and Wednesdays a medium Z2 (or Z1 depending on how I'm feeling) run around the neighborhood. I'm open to suggestions here too.

I swim in open water on Sunday morning, swim 100s with drills Thursday nights, and swim long intervals at CSS effort Friday nights.

I did a training block of Option 1 back in June as I peaked for Vineman 70.3 in July and I didn't feel so beat up after that. I set a new PR for that race. I'm not certain if that's the best way to go about Ironman training though. IMAZ is going to be my first full Ironman.

Please let me know what you guys think!

Thanks,
Roland

Edited by kloofyroland 2015-09-08 2:00 PM

2015-09-08 2:58 PM
in reply to: Guest

User image

Subject: RE: Weekday bike fitness training for IMAZ

My suggestion for your weekday rides are 2 in the 70-90 minute range.  Both of them with intensity.  You are training with power if I remember correctly?

1.  70-75 minutes.  Something like 5x5' at threshold followed by a 10' interval just below threshold.  So 35' total interval time surrounded by a warm up, cool down, and rest time between intervals.

2.  80-90 minutes.  Something like 4x10' or 2x20' at tempo or sweet spot.  Like 85-90% FTP.

As you get closer to race day, maybe workout #1 backs off some of the intensity and the intervals get a little longer like 3x8' followed by a 12' interval at 90-92%.

I'm not sure how this would fall into your overall training, but the general idea to building bike fitness is to ensure you have intensity, and *IF* you have additional time and recovery is not an issue, you can surround it with easier Z2 riding.  Triathletes really shouldn't be trying to build bike fitness with Z2 as one of their key workouts.  It's just not a good use of time when you also need to swim and run.

2015-09-08 4:42 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA
Originally posted by Jason N

My suggestion for your weekday rides are 2 in the 70-90 minute range.  Both of them with intensity.  You are training with power if I remember correctly?

1.  70-75 minutes.  Something like 5x5' at threshold followed by a 10' interval just below threshold.  So 35' total interval time surrounded by a warm up, cool down, and rest time between intervals.

2.  80-90 minutes.  Something like 4x10' or 2x20' at tempo or sweet spot.  Like 85-90% FTP.

As you get closer to race day, maybe workout #1 backs off some of the intensity and the intervals get a little longer like 3x8' followed by a 12' interval at 90-92%.

I'm not sure how this would fall into your overall training, but the general idea to building bike fitness is to ensure you have intensity, and *IF* you have additional time and recovery is not an issue, you can surround it with easier Z2 riding.  Triathletes really shouldn't be trying to build bike fitness with Z2 as one of their key workouts.  It's just not a good use of time when you also need to swim and run.

Thanks Jason! What you're saying makes sense. Just to clarify. Your suggested workout #2 is slightly easier than workout #1 right?
2015-09-08 5:49 PM
in reply to: kloofyroland

User image

Not necessarily "easier."  The intensity of each interval is lower, but only because the intervals are longer.  

2015-09-08 5:53 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by Jason N

Not necessarily "easier."  The intensity of each interval is lower, but only because the intervals are longer.  

Yeah, those longer intervals are sneaky tough.  I used to see those types of workouts and think "that doesn't look so bad" - I've learned my lesson!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Weekday bike fitness training for IMAZ Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Bike gains without sacrificing running fitness

Started by wfricks
Views: 2270 Posts: 16

2012-08-16 10:18 PM spudone

How much can I still gain in fitness?

Started by BikerGrrrl
Views: 1695 Posts: 23

2012-05-24 5:14 PM metafizx

Fitness gain-water running vs road running?

Started by MRDAVIDALEXANDER
Views: 900 Posts: 6

2011-11-19 9:49 PM mmrocker13

Post race fitness gains

Started by Corncub
Views: 888 Posts: 8

2011-03-28 5:42 PM apicek

Can sitting all day stunt fitness gains/recovery??

Started by triarcher
Views: 1612 Posts: 23

2011-03-10 4:38 PM cardenas1
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 4, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
I was not an official; I simply observed the race and the officials doing their thing. Here is what I saw:

date : September 1, 2004
author : owie
comments : 0
Mental toughness is skill. You need to learn how to suffer. You practice perseverance everyday when you are out training in the bad weather, when you ride or run further than you have ever gone.
My dog is an intelligent runner. She does a big stretch before she does anything. She starts out slowly and gradually builds up speed until we are running very fast.

“Less is more,” is a common buzz phrase in endurance sports today. It refers to the trend of training less but focusing on intensity and quality rather than on quantity.