2016-01-10 7:06 PM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
Subject: RE: Bernie Sanders Thread

Originally posted by dmiller5

idk about the trump thing... but i love love love this

Me too, he'll be much easier to beat than Hillary.  He's as whacky as they get and I don't think his class warfare platform is going to play very well in this political climate.

2016-01-11 8:20 AM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Originally posted by tuwood

Obviously only one poll, but Bernie has been steadily trending closer to Hillary in IA and leading fairly substantially in NH.
http://www.nbcnews.com/meet-the-press/poll-neck-neck-2016-races-iowa-new-hampshire-n493361

I would say he has Trump to thank because his attacks on Hillary and Bill the last couple weeks have been pretty effective. 

What do you think about Trump's new tack of attacking Bill Clinton and the Clinton's marriage? I also wondered what you thought of Trump's latest birther strategy that he's aimed at Cruz?

Clearly the birther strategy didn't work against Obama, and I'm not sure why he thinks it'll work against Cruz. Likewise, if we're going to talk about dysfunctional marriages and infidelity, Trumps' living in about as big a glass house as there is on that score. He had a very public affair with wife #2 while still married to wife #1, and knocked up wife #2 before they were married.

2016-01-11 8:44 AM
in reply to: jmk-brooklyn

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by jmk-brooklyn

Obviously only one poll, but Bernie has been steadily trending closer to Hillary in IA and leading fairly substantially in NH.
http://www.nbcnews.com/meet-the-press/poll-neck-neck-2016-races-iowa-new-hampshire-n493361

I would say he has Trump to thank because his attacks on Hillary and Bill the last couple weeks have been pretty effective. 

What do you think about Trump's new tack of attacking Bill Clinton and the Clinton's marriage? I also wondered what you thought of Trump's latest birther strategy that he's aimed at Cruz? Clearly the birther strategy didn't work against Obama, and I'm not sure why he thinks it'll work against Cruz. Likewise, if we're going to talk about dysfunctional marriages and infidelity, Trumps' living in about as big a glass house as there is on that score. He had a very public affair with wife #2 while still married to wife #1, and knocked up wife #2 before they were married.

As for his strategy on the Clinton's it's the most brilliant political move I've ever seen.  Hillary brought out Bill because he was her secret weapon and she's running on the "war on women" motif.  Trump completely destroyed her by pointing out the fact that she has covered for a sexual predator and attacked his victims her entire marriage and it stuck.  If you'll notice we're no longer seeing Bill on the campaign trail and Bernie's surging in the polls.

As for the Birther stuff on Cruz, it's actually a lot different than the Obama stuff.  With Obama people were accusing him of being born in Kenya but there was no proof of it, and he ultimately released his Birth Certificate which proved that he was born on US soil.  With Cruz, there's no question that he wasn't born on US soil  which raises a legitimate legal question that's never been tested.
Personally, I thought it was a little odd to go after him in that way but Trump has done it in a subtle enough way "you know he might have an issue with being born in canada" that lets the press and everyone else jump in and do the dirty work.
Even McCain jumped in suggesting that it will be a problem and there's no question the Democrats will go hog wild trying to get an activist court to make Cruz ineligible (after he gets the nomination of course) so I do see it as a legitimate issue to be vetted out in the primary process.

Now legally speaking I'm obviously not a lawyer, but I read a really good opinion piece several years ago when Obama was the subject matter.  It basically opined that you are either a natural born citizen or a naturalized citizen (received citizenship at some point after birth) and it doesn't matter where you're physically born.  It made a lot of sense to me, so I suspect Cruz ultimately won't have an eligibility issue.

2016-01-11 9:43 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

just saw this on Facebook.  lol

2016-01-11 9:50 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

What do you think about Trump's new tack of attacking Bill Clinton and the Clinton's marriage? I also wondered what you thought of Trump's latest birther strategy that he's aimed at Cruz? Clearly the birther strategy didn't work against Obama, and I'm not sure why he thinks it'll work against Cruz. Likewise, if we're going to talk about dysfunctional marriages and infidelity, Trumps' living in about as big a glass house as there is on that score. He had a very public affair with wife #2 while still married to wife #1, and knocked up wife #2 before they were married.

As for his strategy on the Clinton's it's the most brilliant political move I've ever seen.  Hillary brought out Bill because he was her secret weapon and she's running on the "war on women" motif.  Trump completely destroyed her by pointing out the fact that she has covered for a sexual predator and attacked his victims her entire marriage and it stuck.  If you'll notice we're no longer seeing Bill on the campaign trail and Bernie's surging in the polls.

As for the Birther stuff on Cruz, it's actually a lot different than the Obama stuff.  With Obama people were accusing him of being born in Kenya but there was no proof of it, and he ultimately released his Birth Certificate which proved that he was born on US soil.  With Cruz, there's no question that he wasn't born on US soil  which raises a legitimate legal question that's never been tested.
Personally, I thought it was a little odd to go after him in that way but Trump has done it in a subtle enough way "you know he might have an issue with being born in canada" that lets the press and everyone else jump in and do the dirty work.
Even McCain jumped in suggesting that it will be a problem and there's no question the Democrats will go hog wild trying to get an activist court to make Cruz ineligible (after he gets the nomination of course) so I do see it as a legitimate issue to be vetted out in the primary process.

Now legally speaking I'm obviously not a lawyer, but I read a really good opinion piece several years ago when Obama was the subject matter.  It basically opined that you are either a natural born citizen or a naturalized citizen (received citizenship at some point after birth) and it doesn't matter where you're physically born.  It made a lot of sense to me, so I suspect Cruz ultimately won't have an eligibility issue.

Ted Cruz' citizenship status was based on his mother being a US citizen.  There is evidence that she appeared on a Canadian voter list.  If so, then she would have by default lost her American citizenship.  Since Cruz was never naturalized, because he was thought to be a citizen, this could potentially mean he is not a citizen.  In fact, he would be an illegal alien.

wonder if they will remove him from the senate and deport him

2016-01-11 10:11 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Ted Cruz' citizenship status was based on his mother being a US citizen.  There is evidence that she appeared on a Canadian voter list.  If so, then she would have by default lost her American citizenship.  Since Cruz was never naturalized, because he was thought to be a citizen, this could potentially mean he is not a citizen.  In fact, he would be an illegal alien.

Like I just mentioned, this is the exact kind of stuff that the Democrats will bring up in the general.

That being said, this was another line of argument against Obama back in 2008.  He was born on US soil, but his mother re-married to Barry Soetoro and moved to Indonesia and became an indonesian citizen.  Per indonesian law, Obama was legally adopted and became an indonesian citizen as well and allegedly traveled throughout his young adult life with his indonesian passport.  Per indonesian law, when you become a citizen you "lose" your other citizenships.

However, that one was easily argued against because no other country can make you "lose" your american citizenship.  The only way to lose it is to renounce it yourself, so unless Cruz or his Mother intentionally renounced their citizenship then its irrelevant just as it was for Obama.

One fun fact on Obama.  At birth, his father was a Kenyan citizen which was controlled by Britain, so his father was a dual Kenyan/British citizen.  His mother was American and later married an Indonesian citizen.  So at birth Obama was legally a US/British/Kenyan citizen and a few years later became a US/British/Kenyan/Indonesian citizen.  So, if he's legally eligible after all that (and I believe he is) it's hard for me to believe that Cruz isn't.

2016-01-11 12:10 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

oops sorry, Barry Soetoro was what Obama went by, his stepdad was named Lolo Soetoro.

2016-01-11 7:29 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY

So the hypocrisy of criticizing infidelity in another persons marriage while having been unfaithful his whole married life doesn't trouble you?
2016-01-11 7:46 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
2016-01-11 8:18 PM

User image

Pro

C'mon.....give Bill a break.  Just imagine being married to Hillary.

2016-01-11 8:19 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

So the hypocrisy of criticizing infidelity in another persons marriage while having been unfaithful his whole married life doesn't trouble you?

I'm guessing that was directed at me.

Infidelity isn't the issue.  Being married to and covering for a sexual predator is the issue.

2016-01-11 10:08 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY

Infidelity isn't the issue.  Being married to and covering for a sexual predator is the issue.

Sexual predator is a awfully strong, don't you think?

I'm asking you about the issue of infidelity. Trumps proclivities don't trouble you? As a devout Christian, one who's been pretty outspoken about some other moral issues in the past, you have no issue with a guy who's been openly unfaithful to his wife and fathered at least one child out of wedlock being president?
2016-01-12 10:26 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Sexual predator is a awfully strong, don't you think? I'm asking you about the issue of infidelity. Trumps proclivities don't trouble you? As a devout Christian, one who's been pretty outspoken about some other moral issues in the past, you have no issue with a guy who's been openly unfaithful to his wife and fathered at least one child out of wedlock being president?

I think it's quite accurate for Clinton.  Remember, his escapades happened in the era where there wasn't much attention towards sexual assaults and victims were rarely believed and DNA wasn't available.  If Clinton were to do what he did today he would be in jail and a registered sex offender.  The only way he's not a sexual predator is if his multiple victims were making it up.  If there was only one or even two, then I would give him the benefit of the doubt, but when there are multiple examples over many years it's a pattern.  He certainly has had many consensual extramarital relationships as well, which I really don't have a problem with but the non-consensual and positional abuse ones are a big problem.
http://www.albertpeia.com/oxfordassault.htm  (some light reading)

As for judging Trump for infidelity, it's quite honestly very low on my list of qualifications.  I believe that a man commits adultery even if he looks upon another woman with lust in his eyes, so I'm going to guarantee you that every person running is an adulterer from a Biblical sense (as am I).

As you mentioned, I feel very strongly about many moral issues and I do everything I can to try and overcome them personally and encourage others to do so as well.  However, I don't sit back and judge others based on their moral shortcomings as I perceive them.  I have no problem at all voting for a gay person, a polygamist, or an Atheist.  We're not a theocracy so religious credentials aren't high on my list of presidential qualifiers.  I do appreciate a solid moral character and take it into account, but I don't hold it higher than economic strategy or tax policy as an example.

2016-01-25 5:44 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Darn lazy Bernie supporters...  lol

2016-01-28 3:44 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

2016-02-02 4:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

bernie was the big winner of the night, stupid coin flips

2016-02-02 5:38 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
I'm not sure. Considering the demographics he usually does well with (white, middle-to lower-middle class, etc) this should have been a slam dunk for him. I still like him and I think he'll continue to be good for the discussion but I still think Hillary takes it, especially if Cruz continues to do well. I think moderates will flee from Cruz even faster than from Trump and think Hillary will steal more moderate republicans from Cruz than Bernie will.

Rubio was clearly the big winner. I don't think anyone saw that coming.

Edited by jmk-brooklyn 2016-02-02 5:57 PM
2016-02-03 9:29 AM

User image

Darn lazy Bernie supporters...  lol

i think this just proves how correct Bernie is and how we need a Federal Sidewalk Shoveling program. Think about the old, the disabled, the poor, and especially the children! We can do better!

2016-02-03 9:40 AM

User image

A quick search shows a dirty dozen Bill the Bull. 

http://www.ranker.com/list/bill-clinton_s-loves-and-hookups/celebrityhookups?format=SLIDESHOW&page=12&action=lastpage

Like Tuwood said its more about hoe Bill and Hillary lied and tried to destroy these women, both financially and emotionally that is the issue, when Hillary is trying to say she is for women's rights. 

Not edited to correct the typo before Bill's name.

2016-02-03 12:10 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by jmk-brooklyn I'm not sure. Considering the demographics he usually does well with (white, middle-to lower-middle class, etc) this should have been a slam dunk for him. I still like him and I think he'll continue to be good for the discussion but I still think Hillary takes it, especially if Cruz continues to do well. I think moderates will flee from Cruz even faster than from Trump and think Hillary will steal more moderate republicans from Cruz than Bernie will. Rubio was clearly the big winner. I don't think anyone saw that coming.

I tend to agree with one exception.  I don't think there's a single moderate (or otherwise) Republican in the US who will vote for Hillary.  lol

2016-02-03 12:25 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY

Originally posted by jmk-brooklyn I'm not sure. Considering the demographics he usually does well with (white, middle-to lower-middle class, etc) this should have been a slam dunk for him. I still like him and I think he'll continue to be good for the discussion but I still think Hillary takes it, especially if Cruz continues to do well. I think moderates will flee from Cruz even faster than from Trump and think Hillary will steal more moderate republicans from Cruz than Bernie will. Rubio was clearly the big winner. I don't think anyone saw that coming.

I tend to agree with one exception.  I don't think there's a single moderate (or otherwise) Republican in the US who will vote for Hillary.  lol

If the other choice wasn't Ted "Christian Sharia Law" Cruz, you might be right. He scares the crap out of a lot of moderates.

You know how nearly every even slightly-moderate-leaning Republican (as well as the GOP's own leadership) has been saying for four years that the GOP has to stop talking about social issues in order to be relevant to moderates and younger voters? Yeah, well, Cruz has got both fingers in his ears and is yelling "LALALALALALALA!" to that at the top of his lungs. He's on record opposing abortion in all cases, opposing same sex marriage, wanting to admit only Christian immigrants, etc. That's going to be a tough sell to just about anyone standing to the left of the Spanish Inquisition.

I said last week that I'd vote for Trump in a nanosecond over Cruz and there are lots of liberals and moderates who feel similarly. Hardly anyone I know is excited about Hillary but pretty much everyone is agreed that they'd vote for anyone they had to in order to keep Cruz out of the White House.
2016-02-03 12:36 PM
in reply to: crusevegas

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by crusevegas

Not edited to correct the typo before Bill's name.

lol

2016-02-04 11:47 AM

User image

I think that was a classic Freudian slip.

2016-02-06 9:38 AM

User image

Elite

Sexual predator is a awfully strong, don't you think? I'm asking you about the issue of infidelity. Trumps proclivities don't trouble you? As a devout Christian, one who's been pretty outspoken about some other moral issues in the past, you have no issue with a guy who's been openly unfaithful to his wife and fathered at least one child out of wedlock being president?

I think it's quite accurate for Clinton.  Remember, his escapades happened in the era where there wasn't much attention towards sexual assaults and victims were rarely believed and DNA wasn't available.  If Clinton were to do what he did today he would be in jail and a registered sex offender.  The only way he's not a sexual predator is if his multiple victims were making it up.  If there was only one or even two, then I would give him the benefit of the doubt, but when there are multiple examples over many years it's a pattern.  He certainly has had many consensual extramarital relationships as well, which I really don't have a problem with but the non-consensual and positional abuse ones are a big problem.
http://www.albertpeia.com/oxfordassault.htm  (some light reading)

As for judging Trump for infidelity, it's quite honestly very low on my list of qualifications.  I believe that a man commits adultery even if he looks upon another woman with lust in his eyes, so I'm going to guarantee you that every person running is an adulterer from a Biblical sense (as am I).

As you mentioned, I feel very strongly about many moral issues and I do everything I can to try and overcome them personally and encourage others to do so as well.  However, I don't sit back and judge others based on their moral shortcomings as I perceive them.  I have no problem at all voting for a gay person, a polygamist, or an Atheist.  We're not a theocracy so religious credentials aren't high on my list of presidential qualifiers.  I do appreciate a solid moral character and take it into account, but I don't hold it higher than economic strategy or tax policy as an example.

The use of the term "sexual predator" when describing Bill Clinton's dalliances is yet another example of GOP overreach and poor decision-making at "GOP Central" in my opinion.
It reminds me of the GOP's failures in '08 and '12. "Okay, how do we beat Obama? Let's smear him. He's a Muslim! Yes, honest to God, that was a strategy. One that an overwhelming majority of Republicans bought, hook, line and sinker. The GOP could have nipped that in the bud, but no, they went for the most cockamamie story they could throw out to their most rabid on the Right. Yes, it rallied the base, but the GOP base is a minority in this country. Rather than realizing the base was secured, they made themselves look silly...overreach. Oh well they said, let's besmirch his rep by making it appear he was buddy buddy with Bill Ayers and Jeremiah Wright. He Hates America! Riiight. It didn't work. Overreach.

In '04 they didn't overreach by labeling Kerry as a flip-flopper. It was accurate. The ads they used were very effective 3 years post-9/11. Remember the wolf lurking in the woods? That ad, and the fairly credible attack ads against Kerry (which didn't overreach) worked brilliantly.

Remember, Clinton lost to Obama in '08 not because of attacks on Bill...she lost because Obama more effectively communicated his message to the American people.

As for Bernie, he's too far left for my taste.
I would prefer Hillary over Bernie.

New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Bernie Sanders Thread Rss Feed  

of 8

RELATED POSTS

So much to discuss; and so little threads.... Pages: 1 2

Started by jeffnboise
Views: 3603 Posts: 30

2016-03-24 11:10 AM crusevegas

A thread that we can't let die...or can we? Pages: 1 2

Started by ChineseDemocracy
Views: 3815 Posts: 45