Other Resources The Political Joe » Bernie Sanders Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 8

2016-02-11 9:09 AM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Subject: RE: Bernie Sanders Thread

"As for the media, it's the uniparty establishment who owns them.  Bush/Clinton types and the big money donors who coronate them are the ones in control.  Love or hate Trump, he single handedly exposed that even Fox News is in bed with the machine.  This is the reason why outsiders such as Trump and Sanders have a very tough time getting a fair shake no matter who the media is."

This ^

The two parties are in it for themselves and need candidates who will maintain and advance the status quo. Taking in millions from donors for themselves and handing out billions of our tax dollars in return to their friends and passing regulations to stiffle competition. 

I think it's pretty funny when people think either the r or d cares about the people of the United States. 

2016-02-11 9:12 AM
in reply to: jmk-brooklyn

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by jmk-brooklyn
Originally posted by tuwood

Originally posted by ChineseDemocracy As far from perfect Hillary is, you can't deny that come general election time, no matter who the GOP decides will be their candidate (and yes, it is far more likely the GOP will nominate a candidate who did not have the most votes in their primaries/caucuses), there still are more Ds than Rs. Trump? Cruz? Carson? If you think Sanders is unelectable, those are names even more unelectable...and the RNC knows it. Short of an unexpected war, tragedy, and/or economic calamity, those candidates would get drubbed in a general election. Between Bush, Rubio, and Kasich, two of them need to bow out soon to give the Rs a chance in the general. Who is on pace to gather the most prim./caucus votes? Trump. The fellow who just dropped the P word at a rally in NH. Do you really think he'll get the votes at a contested convention? And, if he does, ya really think he beats Hillary?

America is sick and tired of political correctness.  That's a left wing thing that ticks off regular folks.  

And, by "regular folks" I guess we can assume that you mean "white Christian folks" like you? I'm pretty sure women and minorities aren't tired of not being insulted on a daily basis. (And spare us the "I used to be poor, which is the same as being black" story. It's nonsense that's insulting to anyone who's ACTUALLY been the victim of discrimination.)

Like I said, only left wing thing.

You are insulted by everything and everyone because you buy into the PC culture, I am not.  The simple uninformed and prejudicial statement of it only being white christian people is laughable.

You like to think that when Trump speaks out against Muslims killing us he's a racist, or if he speaks out against illegal immigration he's a racist, because he treats women equally and bags on them he's a sexist.  Is it just me, or are you being sexist by treating women different just because they're women?

The irony of your position is how many minorities and Mexicans feel exactly the same way Trump does.  My wife and I had a young hispanic couple over to the house a few weeks back looking at puppies and the guy made a comment about my Trump sign in the front yard.  Then for the next 30 minutes he went on and on about how much him and all his friends love Trump because he's willing to say it like it is.  He felt illegal immigration was a HUGE problem in America.  I guess I should call him back and let him know that he needs to be more politically correct.

2016-02-11 9:25 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas

I thought this artilce, Donald Trump Supporters Think About Morality Differently Other Voters, was really interesting.  Much deeper than just Donald Trump, it purports to explain the difference in voters for all of the major candidates, except Kasich.

Edited by Hook'em 2016-02-11 9:26 AM
2016-02-11 9:27 AM

User image

Originally posted by ChineseDemocracy As far from perfect Hillary is, you can't deny that come general election time, no matter who the GOP decides will be their candidate (and yes, it is far more likely the GOP will nominate a candidate who did not have the most votes in their primaries/caucuses), there still are more Ds than Rs. Trump? Cruz? Carson? If you think Sanders is unelectable, those are names even more unelectable...and the RNC knows it. Short of an unexpected war, tragedy, and/or economic calamity, those candidates would get drubbed in a general election. Between Bush, Rubio, and Kasich, two of them need to bow out soon to give the Rs a chance in the general. Who is on pace to gather the most prim./caucus votes? Trump. The fellow who just dropped the P word at a rally in NH. Do you really think he'll get the votes at a contested convention? And, if he does, ya really think he beats Hillary?

America is sick and tired of political correctness.  That's a left wing thing that ticks off regular folks.  

And, by "regular folks" I guess we can assume that you mean "white Christian folks" like you? I'm pretty sure women and minorities aren't tired of not being insulted on a daily basis. (And spare us the "I used to be poor, which is the same as being black" story. It's nonsense that's insulting to anyone who's ACTUALLY been the victim of discrimination.)

Talk about a bigoted statement! Wow, just wow. 

2016-02-11 10:55 AM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY

You are insulted by everything and everyone because you buy into the PC culture, I am not.  The simple uninformed and prejudicial statement of it only being white christian people is laughable.

You like to think that when Trump speaks out against Muslims killing us he's a racist, or if he speaks out against illegal immigration he's a racist, because he treats women equally and bags on them he's a sexist.  Is it just me, or are you being sexist by treating women different just because they're women?

The irony of your position is how many minorities and Mexicans feel exactly the same way Trump does.  My wife and I had a young hispanic couple over to the house a few weeks back looking at puppies and the guy made a comment about my Trump sign in the front yard.  Then for the next 30 minutes he went on and on about how much him and all his friends love Trump because he's willing to say it like it is.  He felt illegal immigration was a HUGE problem in America.  I guess I should call him back and let him know that he needs to be more politically correct.

Yet another example of how your own n=1 experience in the narrow swath of America that you are exposed to represents to you how the rest of the world feels and thinks. Believe it or not, there are lots of white Christian conservatives who don't think it's ok to belittle people or use racial or sexist slurs either, so it's not just something that your definition of "regular folks" think.

To refer to people like you as "regular folks" with the implication that anyone who isn't like you or doesn't agree with you is outside of the norm or not "regular" is appalling on its face, and says a lot about how you view America.

Edited by jmk-brooklyn 2016-02-11 11:06 AM
2016-02-11 11:03 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Yet another example of how your own n=1 experience represents to you how the rest of the world feels.

Isn't that how we all are?  You have experience with the people around you in NYC and I have experience of people in Nebraska.  Obviously it's perfectly understandable for our respective environments to have vastly different social/political differences of opinion.

My broader belief that the "midwest values" are much bigger than just here is based on the huge support Trump is getting all across the country.  As LB pointed out earlier, it's not about Trump it's about the people and what they believe that's making it possible.
I think you believe (correct me if I'm wrong) that the values you and your circle of friends believe has the broader base of support nationally and I respectfully disagree.

2016-02-11 11:13 AM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY

Yet another example of how your own n=1 experience represents to you how the rest of the world feels.

Isn't that how we all are?  

Again, no. Not everyone is as you see them.

My experience with people is based on a much, much broader cross-section than just the people in NYC. I wouldn't, for a minute, condescend to assume that everyone in the world, or even in the country, is exactly like the people in my immediate vicinity.

And, just to be clear: Saying, "Illegal immigration is a problem in this country" is not "politically incorrect", nor is saying, "Radical Islamic terrorists are a threat to national security". Saying that Mexicans are rapists and drug dealers or that Muslims are inherently violent, on the other hand, is not only politically incorrect, it's bigoted and ignorant.

Edited by jmk-brooklyn 2016-02-11 11:36 AM
2016-02-11 11:16 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Again, no. Not everyone is as you see them. My experience with people is based on a much, much broader cross-section than just the people in NYC. I wouldn't, for a minute, condescend to assume that everyone in the world, or even in the country, is exactly like the people in my immediate vicinity.

I know you don't believe me, but I'm exactly the same way.  I'd say you probably have a heavier influence on one side and I have a heavier influence on the other, but we both have pretty broad bases of people we know from all different walks of life.

2016-02-11 12:26 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY

Again, no. Not everyone is as you see them. My experience with people is based on a much, much broader cross-section than just the people in NYC. I wouldn't, for a minute, condescend to assume that everyone in the world, or even in the country, is exactly like the people in my immediate vicinity.

I know you don't believe me, but I'm exactly the same way.  I'd say you probably have a heavier influence on one side and I have a heavier influence on the other, but we both have pretty broad bases of people we know from all different walks of life.

So, do the people you know who are from these different walks of life know that you don't consider them to be regular folks?
2016-02-11 1:12 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

So, do the people you know who are from these different walks of life know that you don't consider them to be regular folks?

You're like talking to Rubio.

2016-02-11 1:24 PM

User image

From what I've read JMK, you are the one who defined "regular folks" in your assumption of Tony's statement. 

To Tony, that was a pretty low blow to Rubio. Shame on you. 

2016-02-11 1:32 PM

User image

Veteran
St. Louis

The only way Trump doesn't get the nomination is if he loses in the delegate count.  There is zero chance of a brokered convention.  zero zip nada

Well...never forget that the RNC makes the rules and the RNC change the rules. Which is exactly what they did four years ago to make sure that future fringe candidates can't cause the ruckus that Ron Paul did going in to the 2012 convention. In the past, a candidate needed to have a plurality of delegates from at least five states (Paul had plurality in 6) to be eligible for nomination. They changed their rule so that this year a candidate needs to have a majority of delegates from at least 8 states (Paul only had a majority in 3) to be nominated to the floor vote. The purpose was to ensure that the establisment candidate is the only one getting to the vote.

Bear with me here, this is gonna get a little bit long. The RNC requires that the 38 states with primaries/caucuses before March 15 distribute their delegates proportionately based on the votes. Therefore, as long as four or five candidates stay in the race for another month, it is extremely unilkely that any candidate will be winning the majority of delegates in states prior to 3/15 (Trump is short of a majority in NH, Cruz didn't even come close in IA). The remaining states voting after 3/15 are allowed to use a winner-take-all strategy for delegates. Some are choosing to, some are sticking with a proportionate distribution.

Right now, if no one is able to secure a majority in at least 8 states, then by the rules no one is eligible to be nominated and there will be a brokered convention where anything can happen. So as it stands, there is absolutely no reason for any of the big name candidates to drop out of the race prior to someone locking up 8 states, assuming they can afford to stay in. Bush has the money to go the distance, Cruz and Rubio are not exactly hurting for money either. Kasich might be in a bit of trouble.  

The extra wrinkle in this is that the RNC can change their rules however they see fit prior to the start of the convention, making it easier or harder for a candidate to be eligible for nomination. Hypothetically, if Trump has a majority of overall delegates but only 5 states, and Bush is sitting at 7 states, they can lower the requirements to 7 and Bush becomes the nominee.  Or if Trump gets majorities in 10 states, they can up the requirement to 15 and force a brokered convention.  So Tony, get your tinfoil hat on and ask yourself, how far do you think the RNC will go to keep Trump off the ticket. Do they step aside and let Trump take over their party? Or do they nuke the whole process, ignore the will of their voters, and do whatever it takes to get their guy in? I honestly don't know, but for the entertainment value I really hope they blow it up. 

One more thing to keep in mind before you start stocking up on Trump '16 t-shirts. He really needs to prove himself in closed primaries before he has any chance of running away with the nomination. If Republican voters like what he's saying, than obviously this is a non-issue. But if he's pulling a good chunk of his support from independants sick of the "establishment" and/or Dems who don't like the thought of Hillary, and he isn't able to carry the GOP base, he's going to get killed in the closed primaries. 

2016-02-11 1:40 PM
in reply to: Bob Loblaw

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Bob Loblaw

The only way Trump doesn't get the nomination is if he loses in the delegate count.  There is zero chance of a brokered convention.  zero zip nada

Well...never forget that the RNC makes the rules and the RNC change the rules. Which is exactly what they did four years ago to make sure that future fringe candidates can't cause the ruckus that Ron Paul did going in to the 2012 convention. In the past, a candidate needed to have a plurality of delegates from at least five states (Paul had plurality in 6) to be eligible for nomination. They changed their rule so that this year a candidate needs to have a majority of delegates from at least 8 states (Paul only had a majority in 3) to be nominated to the floor vote. The purpose was to ensure that the establisment candidate is the only one getting to the vote.

Bear with me here, this is gonna get a little bit long. The RNC requires that the 38 states with primaries/caucuses before March 15 distribute their delegates proportionately based on the votes. Therefore, as long as four or five candidates stay in the race for another month, it is extremely unilkely that any candidate will be winning the majority of delegates in states prior to 3/15 (Trump is short of a majority in NH, Cruz didn't even come close in IA). The remaining states voting after 3/15 are allowed to use a winner-take-all strategy for delegates. Some are choosing to, some are sticking with a proportionate distribution.

Right now, if no one is able to secure a majority in at least 8 states, then by the rules no one is eligible to be nominated and there will be a brokered convention where anything can happen. So as it stands, there is absolutely no reason for any of the big name candidates to drop out of the race prior to someone locking up 8 states, assuming they can afford to stay in. Bush has the money to go the distance, Cruz and Rubio are not exactly hurting for money either. Kasich might be in a bit of trouble.  

The extra wrinkle in this is that the RNC can change their rules however they see fit prior to the start of the convention, making it easier or harder for a candidate to be eligible for nomination. Hypothetically, if Trump has a majority of overall delegates but only 5 states, and Bush is sitting at 7 states, they can lower the requirements to 7 and Bush becomes the nominee.  Or if Trump gets majorities in 10 states, they can up the requirement to 15 and force a brokered convention.  So Tony, get your tinfoil hat on and ask yourself, how far do you think the RNC will go to keep Trump off the ticket. Do they step aside and let Trump take over their party? Or do they nuke the whole process, ignore the will of their voters, and do whatever it takes to get their guy in? I honestly don't know, but for the entertainment value I really hope they blow it up. 

One more thing to keep in mind before you start stocking up on Trump '16 t-shirts. He really needs to prove himself in closed primaries before he has any chance of running away with the nomination. If Republican voters like what he's saying, than obviously this is a non-issue. But if he's pulling a good chunk of his support from independants sick of the "establishment" and/or Dems who don't like the thought of Hillary, and he isn't able to carry the GOP base, he's going to get killed in the closed primaries. 

I agree that they can "blow it up" and, like all things political, it'll be a hoot to watch......but then Trump can blow them up with an independent run.....and my money says he would, where the establishment guys would not.  Trump, with his following, is a HUGE problem for the GOP establishment.......and they need a damn wake-up call. 

I don't think it'll be nearly as easy as you think for the RNC to circumvent Trump.....he holds plenty of cards at this point.

2016-02-11 1:50 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY

Well, I am pretty thirsty. Let me just leeeeeeeeean over here and get my water bottle....
2016-02-11 2:03 PM

User image

I think all of this off topic banter is just y'alls' attempt to further marginalize Bernie Sanders.  Feel the Bern!

2016-02-11 2:03 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Well, I am pretty thirsty. Let me just leeeeeeeeean over here and get my water bottle....

Truly one of the funniest (and most awkward) moments in politics I've ever seen.  lol

2016-02-11 2:12 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Early on, I was concerned for the very reasons you mentioned.  However, a few months back I saw an interview with Reince Priebus on the topic and he was very clear and emphatic that the peoples choice will be the nominee, even if the majority number wasn't hit.
As LB mentioned, Trump has a huge wild card in that if he truly does "win" the votes but there's a rule or technicality used to give the nomination to somebody else then he's so out of there (with the majority of his supporters) that the Republicans have virtually zero chance of winning in the general.

Obviously it's not 100% that there won't be a brokered convention, but if Trump is leading nationally and has the majority of delegates then I feel there's a near zero chance he won't get the nomination.  The establishment doesn't like him, but they're not crazy.

Back on topic with Bernie, I'm kind of curious how the Democratic voters will react if things continue like they're going with the Hillary super delegates.  Can you imagine Bernie getting state after state with huge majorities, but Hillary winning the overall nomination.  Similar to Trump in the Republican party I doubt Bernies supporters would be getting excited to rally behind Hillary.

2016-02-11 2:15 PM

User image

Early on, I was concerned for the very reasons you mentioned.  However, a few months back I saw an interview with Reince Priebus on the topic and he was very clear and emphatic that the peoples choice will be the nominee, even if the majority number wasn't hit.
As LB mentioned, Trump has a huge wild card in that if he truly does "win" the votes but there's a rule or technicality used to give the nomination to somebody else then he's so out of there (with the majority of his supporters) that the Republicans have virtually zero chance of winning in the general.

Obviously it's not 100% that there won't be a brokered convention, but if Trump is leading nationally and has the majority of delegates then I feel there's a near zero chance he won't get the nomination.  The establishment doesn't like him, but they're not crazy.

Back on topic with Bernie, I'm kind of curious how the Democratic voters will react if things continue like they're going with the Hillary super delegates.  Can you imagine Bernie getting state after state with huge majorities, but Hillary winning the overall nomination.  Similar to Trump in the Republican party I doubt Bernies supporters would be getting excited to rally behind Hillary.

There aren't enough super delegates to counter Bernie winning state after state with huge margins.   

2016-02-11 2:19 PM
in reply to: Hook'em

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by Hook'em

There aren't enough super delegates to counter Bernie winning state after state with huge margins.   

I whole heartedly admit I have no clue how they work.  I haven't read up on them at all.

2016-02-11 2:27 PM

User image

In short - Democrat establishment gets their own votes (real democratic).  Each Democrat congressman, senator, and governor get 1 vote.  Then the DNC gets to hand out another few hundred votes to VIPs - mayors, elected people, big donors, etc. equaling a total of just over 700.  There are over 4700 delegates at the Democratic convention, 4000+ of which are awarded proportionately based on the primaries/caucuses.

2016-02-11 2:47 PM

User image

Veteran
St. Louis

Oh, I'm not saying it would be easy, or that it's even likely to happen. I believe that if any one candidate (including Trump) starts to run away with the delegates, the RNC will just let it  play out. And I also think Kasich and Rubio won't be around much longer, which should go a long way to clearing things up. All I'm saying is that if the RNC is truly adamently against Trump, then they have the means to stop Trump.

Nominating Trump doesn't just set the tone for this election, if he wins it lets Trump steer the direction of the GOP as far as their core values and stance on the issues goes. Or else it puts a Republican president at odds with a bunch of conservative congressmen. At this point, can you see Senator Cruz and President Trump coming together on anything?  I bet there's plenty of big money GOP donors that would prefer they just lose this election and regroup for 2020 rather than give Trump the keys to the GOP for the next 4 years. 

I do think Trump still has to prove himself in some closed primaries. Actually, I think he'll struggle with them and that will open the door for Bush (yep Bush). He's got the money to stick around to the end. And I can't see people who don't support Trump now turning towards Trump once their candidate drops out, so Bush will start to pick up the anti-Trump votes. On the other side, there's no way Hillary doesn't come out on top. Their game is rigged too. A headstart of 600-700 superdelegates sure does go a long way towards the 2,400 she needs for the nomination. I'm starting to feel the Bern, but I'm pretty sure I'll once again throw away my vote on another Libertarian candidate instead of choosing between Bush & Clinton.

2016-02-11 3:03 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Oh, I'm not saying it would be easy, or that it's even likely to happen. I believe that if any one candidate (including Trump) starts to run away with the delegates, the RNC will just let it  play out. And I also think Kasich and Rubio won't be around much longer, which should go a long way to clearing things up. All I'm saying is that if the RNC is truly adamently against Trump, then they have the means to stop Trump.

Nominating Trump doesn't just set the tone for this election, if he wins it lets Trump steer the direction of the GOP as far as their core values and stance on the issues goes. Or else it puts a Republican president at odds with a bunch of conservative congressmen. At this point, can you see Senator Cruz and President Trump coming together on anything?  I bet there's plenty of big money GOP donors that would prefer they just lose this election and regroup for 2020 rather than give Trump the keys to the GOP for the next 4 years. 

I do think Trump still has to prove himself in some closed primaries. Actually, I think he'll struggle with them and that will open the door for Bush (yep Bush). He's got the money to stick around to the end. And I can't see people who don't support Trump now turning towards Trump once their candidate drops out, so Bush will start to pick up the anti-Trump votes. On the other side, there's no way Hillary doesn't come out on top. Their game is rigged too. A headstart of 600-700 superdelegates sure does go a long way towards the 2,400 she needs for the nomination. I'm starting to feel the Bern, but I'm pretty sure I'll once again throw away my vote on another Libertarian candidate instead of choosing between Bush & Clinton.

You and I will both be voting Libertarian if it's Bush/Clinton.  lol

2016-02-12 10:30 AM

User image

You and I will both be voting Libertarian if it's Bush/Clinton.  lol

That would probably be the best chance of a Libertarian being elected, though, there are so many lemmings in both parties I doubt it would happen.

2016-02-12 4:57 PM
in reply to: crusevegas

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Just saw this on facebook.

I know the Obama/Bernie supporters will disagree with this point of view, but I'm curious as to why.  Where's the flaw in the logic?
https://www.facebook.com/DSouzaDinesh/videos/1295959163764069/

2016-02-13 2:03 PM

User image

Elite

Just saw this on facebook.

I know the Obama/Bernie supporters will disagree with this point of view, but I'm curious as to why.  Where's the flaw in the logic?
https://www.facebook.com/DSouzaDinesh/videos/1295959163764069/

I listened to Dinesh just now.
I guess my personal response would be, yes it is unfortunate we have to do it, but what's your alternative? Is it austerity? Is it letting families starve? Is it mass (even more so) incarceration? Is it telling Granny she needs to get her arthritic butt off the rocking chair and back to work? Is it telling that wounded vet she needs to be out working for her food? Is it requiring businesses to hire completely unreliable and unemployable people? What I am trying to say is that guess what, like it or not, there are folks out there you will have to give a free lunch (and dinner and breakfast) to.

As for throwing money at the public education system, you don't have to tell me twice that it's ridiculous. I side more with the Republicans on education...up to a point. They make great sense when it comes to setting up competition, more options, more private options, etc. I think it is great. The public school system needs a wake-up call! The crapola I have seen made my stomach turn so much (boy should I set up another thread) that we decided to homeschool all three of our kids starting this year, so yeah I put my $ where my mouth is.
Now, the problem with the GOP's take on education funding is that 9 times out of 10, those conservatives want to go and use government money to subsidize schools steeped in religious doctrine. In my opinion, they can practice their religion on their own time on their own subsidized dime.

New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Bernie Sanders Thread Rss Feed  

of 8

RELATED POSTS

So much to discuss; and so little threads.... Pages: 1 2

Started by jeffnboise
Views: 3619 Posts: 30

2016-03-24 11:10 AM crusevegas

A thread that we can't let die...or can we? Pages: 1 2

Started by ChineseDemocracy
Views: 3826 Posts: 45

2014-11-03 8:12 AM tuwood