General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Angling up aerobars Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-09-23 12:08 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
Subject: Angling up aerobars

Tom Demerly post this on the other site. Interesting results, mostly gains, in angling up AB about 12* or so, even with base bars that need to be angled with the AB.

http://ero-sports.com/index.php/aeropositioning/78-are-you-angling-for-more-comfort-speed

2015-09-23 12:16 PM
in reply to: Donto

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
Subject: RE: Angling up aerobars
I'm gonna be dead honest with you......I still get nervous switching from one position to the next. My hands that far away from the brake levers????

I would need a bite stick!
2015-09-23 2:17 PM
in reply to: nc452010

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

LOL, #2 was the best overall, not that much a of a difference.  #3 tested fastest in the tunnel but not so outdoors or maybe it was the track. I wouldn't dare use that

2015-09-23 3:59 PM

User image

Oakville

TJ Tollakson has a set up similar to no. 3.

I'll have to check when I get home, but I think I'm somewhere between 1 and 2.

Unfortunately, they didn't test with an aero mounted water bottle.  I expect that the extra drag of the bottle would negate some or all of the aero gains.  

2015-09-23 4:09 PM
in reply to: Scott71

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

True, but I thought one of the main benefits was closing of the hole under the torso.  So if a BTA is added then it should reduce that some more.

I liked the statement that it helps to lift the head up for better forward looking.  This is an issue with my neck problem.  Author just wrote on the other forom "...angling of the forearms, especially if you can angle the pads and "lean into" them, "pre-cranes" the cervical spine and relieves the splenius muscles from much of the load of lifting and maintaining the head in the aero position; a task they were never meant to perform"

2015-09-24 7:17 AM

User image

Ottawa, Ontario
The "mantis" position used by TJ and Jesse Thomas seems to only work for a small number of people, and you have to get it exactly right or it's significantly worse than arms down. According to John Cobb "The Landis and Leipheimer, "raised hands" positions have to be tied to proper elbow-pad placement to build the increased leverage for making better power. This is a position that it is very critical to work out in a very controlled test environment, 95 per cent of all riders that just raise their hands higher will be measurably slower in a wind tunnel, directing the airflow over and around the shoulders really is critical." (http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/archive/how-to-improve-your-aero-position-87444#BToHbfzpSSVSMgJz.99)

If you look at the position of guys like Tom Dumoulin or Rohan Dennis, it's more like #2 above - that's probably more reasonable for a lot of people, but you know they've tested it in the wind tunnel too. It's tough for the rest of us since it's just a best guess what will actually be more aero.

2015-09-24 7:25 AM
in reply to: SenatorClayDavis

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by SenatorClayDavis
It's tough for the rest of us since it's just a best guess what will actually be more aero.

If you have a power meter and you are willing to do some homework you can test this.
There is a guy recently that posted his data on ST and he did prove that he was faster in this position
2015-09-24 8:13 AM

User image

Brooklyn, New York
Originally posted by Donto

True, but I thought one of the main benefits was closing of the hole under the torso.  So if a BTA is added then it should reduce that some more.

I liked the statement that it helps to lift the head up for better forward looking.  This is an issue with my neck problem.  Author just wrote on the other forom "...angling of the forearms, especially if you can angle the pads and "lean into" them, "pre-cranes" the cervical spine and relieves the splenius muscles from much of the load of lifting and maintaining the head in the aero position; a task they were never meant to perform"

This makes serious ergonomic sense. With adjustable clip on shorty bars I can try this
2015-09-24 8:27 AM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
*slight* raising of the hands (a couple of degrees) is usually ok to at least not bad. Generally that won't get somebody on s or straight bends at more of a "virtual" angle than riding on ski bends.

Once you start talking about Mantis positioning though you should be very careful. If it's bad for you, (aerodynamically) it can be VERY bad. The exact ° can be important as well. In my tunnel testing 25° reduced my drag, and 30° increased it. up to 25° did almost nothing from flat.

Landis made it popular, but even he says it wasn't his fastest position tested, it was just the one he could sustain with his hip issues.
2015-09-24 10:28 AM
in reply to: Leegoocrap

User image

Regular
Hamilton, IL
I went slightly up with mine because of crazy wrist pain. I went from an S bend on a T2+ profile design aero bar to the S bend bars that came with the Speed Concept so I didn't expect issues like these. Angling up helped a little with the wrist pain, but I just don't know if Id like that angle if I went much higher.
2015-09-27 3:48 PM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
The big benefit comes from the hand and forearms making one continuous connection to the head. The chest tend to cause a large amount of drag. The challenge is that with the hands that tight and far up, it can make it a bit more difficult to control the bike. You will also need a stronger core to maintain stable (you have less contact with the elbow cups).

If it does work for you, it's a very fast position (the reason why you won't see this in a TT is that the position is illegal under UCI rules).

2015-09-27 4:58 PM
in reply to: Scott71

User image

Extreme Veteran
Richmond
If you think of the headtube area of your bike as somewhere you want air to go, and the "scoop" or area above the arms and below the chest as somewhere you dont want air to go, you can see that having some aero hydration set up within angled bars will likely make the set up moore and not less aero. Field testing has largely shown this to be the case for the majority.

At worst it is neutral.
2015-09-27 5:02 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Richmond
The Alphamantis crew would argue with Cobb's assessment. They are finding nearly all of the quickest positions they test have up angled arms. Which is why the Shiv (pre-recall) and the Speed Concept were consistently giving the best results. Not the fastest framesets, but aerobars that allow angled forearms.
2015-09-27 5:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Richmond
Originally posted by SenatorClayDavis

The "mantis" position used by TJ and Jesse Thomas seems to only work for a small number of people, and you have to get it exactly right or it's significantly worse than arms down. According to John Cobb "The Landis and Leipheimer, "raised hands" positions have to be tied to proper elbow-pad placement to build the increased leverage for making better power. This is a position that it is very critical to work out in a very controlled test environment, 95 per cent of all riders that just raise their hands higher will be measurably slower in a wind tunnel, directing the airflow over and around the shoulders really is critical." (http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/archive/how-to-improve-your-aero-position-87444#BToHbfzpSSVSMgJz.99)

If you look at the position of guys like Tom Dumoulin or Rohan Dennis, it's more like #2 above - that's probably more reasonable for a lot of people, but you know they've tested it in the wind tunnel too. It's tough for the rest of us since it's just a best guess what will actually be more aero.

Grand Tour riders must have the forearms level with the ground, so there is very little room for them to angle them up and no reason for them to test to see if higher is faster.
2015-09-27 6:10 PM
in reply to: Finding Freestyle

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

umm what, floyd landis didn't.......

2015-09-27 8:17 PM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Originally posted by dmiller5

umm what, floyd landis didn't.......

rules were changed a few years ago to outlaw those kinds of positions.

They laxed a little bit again recently, but the "top of pad to tip of lever" rule still keeps people from having too much angle.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Angling up aerobars Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

DL aerobars or regular aerobars?

Started by Gburz
Views: 757 Posts: 2

2012-08-15 1:44 PM Whale

Change the seat tube angle?

Started by pseudoyams
Views: 2254 Posts: 14

2006-05-28 8:22 AM immyfish

Seat angle trend to more slack?

Started by camy
Views: 565 Posts: 2

2006-02-16 2:25 PM ride_like_u_stole_it

FWD Angled Seat Post

Started by millarg
Views: 911 Posts: 5

2006-02-03 3:13 PM TriBodyboarder

Seat tube angle

Started by vortmax
Views: 683 Posts: 8

2006-01-21 8:30 PM vortmax
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 19, 2013
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Step-Up exercise instruction with pictures and video

date : March 24, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
What should I consider when adding aero bars? What are good brands? Are there pitfalls to be aware of? How can I adjust them to fit me?
date : December 5, 2007
author : Coach AJ
comments : 2
What makes a triathlon bike a triathlon bike? Learn about angles, seating, position, aerobars, and the importance of a proper bike fit.