Other Resources The Political Joe » Gun Advocates, What Say You?? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 16

2015-10-12 9:00 PM
in reply to: #5144743

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: Gun Advocates, What Say You??
I can agree with that.

2015-10-12 9:14 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by mdg2003
Originally posted by tuwood

Originally posted by mdg2003 i'm sensing that someone has a shiteload of student loan debt...

I was thinking it, but wasn't going to say it.  

He's a good sport. I figured he'd take a little ribbing in stride. And he did.

Yep, he's a good man.  It appears we have pared PCOJ down to folks who can have a discussion even when they are nearly polar opposites in ideas/beliefs.  That's a good thing. 

You are so right...............wait....WTF just happened here?????

Noooooooooo  

2015-10-12 10:17 PM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Pro
Tejas
Originally posted by dmiller5

Originally posted by mdg2003
Originally posted by tuwood

Originally posted by mdg2003 i'm sensing that someone has a shiteload of student loan debt...

I was thinking it, but wasn't going to say it.  

He's a good sport. I figured he'd take a little ribbing in stride. And he did.

Yep, he's a good man.  It appears we have pared PCOJ down to folks who can have a discussion even when they are nearly polar opposites in ideas/beliefs.  That's a good thing. 

I'm a bad sport, and you're all wrong about everything.  STOP TELLING ME YOUR OPINIONS...unless they are in line with my own.

Happy Columbus Day?

Columbus? Bah, he was just Queen Izzy's errand boy. The vikings discovered America...
2015-10-13 1:29 PM
in reply to: powerman

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Originally posted by powerman

Ya, it's been a while JMK... I love k in though. Overall yes... Mass shootings are a unique American problem. But they make up an ridiculously small part of murders. Sensational, sure. Tragic, senseless... Yep. But you have a better chance of getting struck by lightening after winning the lottery than by dying in a mass shooting. 30,000 murders last year, and what... 20 were from a mass shooting?

It doesn't matter what other country's do. They don't have the 2A. You said your self... Anything that makes guns harder to get is worth it. That only works for a product, a tool, a privilege. The right to bear arms is not a privilege. So anything you do to restrict guns and make them harder to get or decrease their numbers, is restricting the free excersise of a right. That's the problem. You restrict a right, but don't solve the problem. The only way to truly solve the problem is repeal the 2A. That won't happen in my lifetime.

I'm not saying that a responsible gun owner can't have any kind of gun they want, or as many as they want. But you're in effect saying that you are more concerned with protecting the rights of irresponsible gun owners than you are with trying to reduce gun violence.

What a lot of people (like me and even people on the pro-gun side like LB) are proposing are not unbearable sanctions against gun ownership-- they are, as I said, restrictions that people willinlgy accept in other areas of their lives.

We have freedom of speech and of the press guaranteed by the constitution as well, but there are guardrails to which we can mostly all agree in order to protect the public good and which do not significantly restrict the free exercise of those guaranteed rights. I think there are more and more responsuble gun owners who are realizing that the gun culture in the US that exists is significantly impacting the rights of many people to live safely and a lot of them are forming the opinion that there are common-sense restrictions that don't significantly impact their RTBA which would result, long term, in an environment where there are fewer guns in the hands of people who would use them irresponsibly.
2015-10-13 1:55 PM
in reply to: jmk-brooklyn

User image

Pro

Originally posted by jmk-brooklyn
Originally posted by powerman Ya, it's been a while JMK... I love k in though. Overall yes... Mass shootings are a unique American problem. But they make up an ridiculously small part of murders. Sensational, sure. Tragic, senseless... Yep. But you have a better chance of getting struck by lightening after winning the lottery than by dying in a mass shooting. 30,000 murders last year, and what... 20 were from a mass shooting? It doesn't matter what other country's do. They don't have the 2A. You said your self... Anything that makes guns harder to get is worth it. That only works for a product, a tool, a privilege. The right to bear arms is not a privilege. So anything you do to restrict guns and make them harder to get or decrease their numbers, is restricting the free excersise of a right. That's the problem. You restrict a right, but don't solve the problem. The only way to truly solve the problem is repeal the 2A. That won't happen in my lifetime.
I'm not saying that a responsible gun owner can't have any kind of gun they want, or as many as they want. But you're in effect saying that you are more concerned with protecting the rights of irresponsible gun owners than you are with trying to reduce gun violence. What a lot of people (like me and even people on the pro-gun side like LB) are proposing are not unbearable sanctions against gun ownership-- they are, as I said, restrictions that people willinlgy accept in other areas of their lives. We have freedom of speech and of the press guaranteed by the constitution as well, but there are guardrails to which we can mostly all agree in order to protect the public good and which do not significantly restrict the free exercise of those guaranteed rights. I think there are more and more responsuble gun owners who are realizing that the gun culture in the US that exists is significantly impacting the rights of many people to live safely and a lot of them are forming the opinion that there are common-sense restrictions that don't significantly impact their RTBA which would result, long term, in an environment where there are fewer guns in the hands of people who would use them irresponsibly.

I would stop short of saying I propose any new gun laws.  However, I frewely admit that I won't fight anyone over some proposed regulations.  I am of the camp that thinks new gun laws or sanctions will not help one bit, but if you think they will help, and it makes you feel better (the collective you, not you JMK), then I won't fight you over it.....I get it, not everyone is as comfortable around guns as I am, not everyone is comfortable with guns in ANY manner.  I can live with some laws that make them feel bettere.

I have already said what I would do......and it all deals with people, not guns.

2015-10-13 2:29 PM
in reply to: #5146263

User image

Elite
But it's easy to say "more" regulation. Do you have any idea how much guns are regulated right now? A lot. The 2A is the only amendment with the phrase "shall not be infringed". To some that seems pretty clear. No laws. No restrictions. No permits. I don't necessarily agree, but it is important to note.

So, background checks, mag limits, number purchased limits, waiting periods, FFLing, import restrictions bans, gun free zones, carry limits, types of guns, feature bans, AWB.... Laws upon laws.... And none of it does anything.... So then some want more... Ammo restrictions, outrageous taxation, semi auto bans, no carrying in public, no guns in your car, assault weapons bans, locks upon locks, can't store a gun assembled, can't have one ready for use, not have more than 3 bullets.... And none of it will do anything except infringe on law abiding citizens.

The other problem is its not a conspiracy, it's nobodies over reaction... Many many people and groups want guns gone. Period. And they want more gun control not for reasonable safety measures, but for the elimination of guns. That is their goal.

So gun people have given, and given, but it isn't enough. And it does nothing to stop criminals. And when other solutions are brought up, nothing is done. The only solution that is ever discussed is restricting guns more.

Not one single thing has been done with mental illness. Not one single thing has been done to reevaluate our criminal justice system. Not one single thing has been done to actually enforce the laws we do have better. Nobody can get someone held on a psych hold. All that is talked about is restricting guns more.

More and more people are disconnected. Disenfranchised. Given wheelbarrows of psych mess and sent on their way. Violence is glorified. Hollywood can't make em fast enough. 24 hour news immortalized ever idiot that snaps. Video games are made about it... But oh ya, that freedom of speech, can't touch that. Society is non existent.... But sure, the gun is the problem.

So again I will ask... How much are you willing to allow your rights to be infringed? Can I infringe on your 4A right in the name of public safety? How about your 10th....for the children. Allow law enforcement access to your health records just to see how you are doing this month. What rights are you willing to let go of in the name of safety? If you say none, welcome to the pro gun side. You will now be vilified for not caring about others.

2015-10-13 2:57 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

Originally posted by powerman  So again I will ask... How much are you willing to allow your rights to be infringed? Can I infringe on your 4A right in the name of public safety? How about your 10th....for the children. Allow law enforcement access to your health records just to see how you are doing this month. What rights are you willing to let go of in the name of safety? If you say none, welcome to the pro gun side. You will now be vilified for not caring about others.

I'm not willing to allow any of those.

However, gun regulations don't stop me from owning a gun.......so I can grit my teeth and bear it.  I'm not sure I buy the "slippery slope" analogy with regard to the rest of my rights.  Each is individual.

I agree 100% that the same people who have guns now, and don't commit crimes with them, could have a nuclear bomb in thier basement and we wouldn't be in any more danger.  My problem is with the small percentage of azzholes who can't even be trusted to not use a slingshot against another person.  Again, regulate people, not guns.

Edited by Left Brain 2015-10-13 2:58 PM
2015-10-13 9:57 PM

User image

Elite

Originally posted by powerman  So again I will ask... How much are you willing to allow your rights to be infringed? Can I infringe on your 4A right in the name of public safety? How about your 10th....for the children. Allow law enforcement access to your health records just to see how you are doing this month. What rights are you willing to let go of in the name of safety? If you say none, welcome to the pro gun side. You will now be vilified for not caring about others.

I'm not willing to allow any of those.

However, gun regulations don't stop me from owning a gun.......so I can grit my teeth and bear it.  I'm not sure I buy the "slippery slope" analogy with regard to the rest of my rights.  Each is individual.

I agree 100% that the same people who have guns now, and don't commit crimes with them, could have a nuclear bomb in thier basement and we wouldn't be in any more danger.  My problem is with the small percentage of azzholes who can't even be trusted to not use a slingshot against another person.  Again, regulate people, not guns.

I got mixed up LB... thought I was addressing someone else. Just so it is said... I did not mean slippery slope as in it will all happen without guns... just that if we are going to talk about regulating one right... why can't we talk about others?

So ya.... I can buy all the guns I want right now. All the talk of gun control has done more to sell guns than the NRA could do in 100 years. I can't possibly imagine Americans being better armed than they are today. But just to preach to the choir for a minute... You can give me 100 hoops to jump through, and I could still arm myself all I want. Because I'm legal. There are laws right now that should keep gang bangers from getting guns... but they have all they want. 100 more isn't going to change that.

Mag limits.... honestly... 10 rounds does not mean anything to me. Who cares? Even ARs... would not make much difference in my life. But... there are probably half a BILLION out there. You can't grandfather them, you have to ban them. Keep them if you want... but you will be risking your liberty. Bad guys don't care though. And they will have all they want. We can't make a dent in weed... how the heck are we going to ban mags over 10 rounds? To simply stop selling them is completely meaningless. Are there a billion?

Sooo... in order to have any meaningful impact in gun violence, then you have to lower the number of guns, or make them less lethal. The best way to do that is ban semi-autos. But the SCOTUS has already said those are reasonable weapons to own today by the 2A. Miller and Heller. Plus... you can't grandfather... you have to ban them, and make them illegal to own. So I can keep all I want, but I will be risking my liberty. And bad guys don't care. Carrying a gun is already illegal for most of them. What would semi-auto matter? If we locked up all those violent predators, or anyone using a gun in a crime for good... that might get their attention.

But as far as mass shootings.... it would do next to nothing. Almost all of them have been legal. No record, not prohibited... give them 100 more hoops to jump through, and they will do it, and then go shoot up a school. And yes, guns are deadly and easy. I don't buy into "well they will just use something else". Guns are very good at what they do. But when a legal law abiding citizen decides to snap.... well how are we going to stop that... without banning guns?

That's my whole point, guns are a right. Yes loop holes don't really do much to me, but they also don't do much to crazy people that can buy them. So you flat out have to restrict the freedom. Not regulate... restrict, in order to have any meaningful impact. The hoops I have to jump through are just a waste of my time. So restrict ownership, or restrict the most commonly used fire arm of the last century.... semi-autos.  But I have a feeling that will be problematic....

2015-10-13 10:15 PM

User image

Pro

I am 100% convinced that the ONLY solution is to put people who use a gun in a crime away for a very long time.  We will have to make room in our prisons, at least for the foreseeable future.....but we've got plenty of prison space once we release non-violent offenders.  I believe that the people of our country will be absolutely stunned at how much crime drops by getting rid of what is actually a fairly small percentage of our population.

Use a gun in a crime, 20 years.  No probation, no parole.  Now that "for profit" prison infrastructure that is already built can actually benefit us.

2015-10-13 10:31 PM

User image

Elite

I am 100% convinced that the ONLY solution is to put people who use a gun in a crime away for a very long time.  We will have to make room in our prisons, at least for the foreseeable future.....but we've got plenty of prison space once we release non-violent offenders.  I believe that the people of our country will be absolutely stunned at how much crime drops by getting rid of what is actually a fairly small percentage of our population.

Use a gun in a crime, 20 years.  No probation, no parole.  Now that "for profit" prison infrastructure that is already built can actually benefit us.

Yep... and legalize drugs... or just regulate them... but put drug dealers out of business with a stroke of a pen. If you are an addict... here's treatment. If you commit a act of violence to support your habit... nice knowing you... see you in 20. I know lots of ex cons... not like I'm an expert... but they talk about doing a bit... like it's manageable. It would not turn over night... but violence gets you put away for real... not just for a bit.... ya. And the one thing I do know about crime... what is on the record is not even a drop in the bucket of what was committed. I know that from personal experience. So a guy gets 5-10... out in 3, because he got hemed up on 4 felonies, and pleaded guilty to one... when he committed 1000 on his last run in freedom. Crime would drop dramatically indeed.

2015-10-13 10:34 PM

User image

Elite

And.. .AND.... mass shootings... 1% of gun violence! Yet it gets 100% of air time. The other 99%... well that is a shame. You should probably move out of the hood... I wish they would act right... oh well...

2015-10-14 7:34 AM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY

And.. .AND.... mass shootings... 1% of gun violence! Yet it gets 100% of air time. The other 99%... well that is a shame. You should probably move out of the hood... I wish they would act right... oh well...

I think that as a pro-gun person, you should be grateful that the only shootings that are covered are mass shootings. If people knew about every time a gun was used in a crime or a road rage incident or an accident, the drumbeat to do something drastic would be even louder.

I read something the other day that said we've had one terrorist attack that killed 3000 people and as a result we've dramatically changed how we do many things--travel, go to sporting events, build office buildings, etc. But, in the same period, many times that number have been killed in shootings and we've done nothing.

Someone said it earlier on this thread or another: there's no such thing as free--someone always pays for it. The price of that rtba is getting higher all the time and people's minds are changing. If I were the nra, or their political wing, the GOP, I would think it was in the best interests of legal gun owners to get behind some common sense regulations and at least try to roll back this upsurge in gun violence before the tide of anti-gun sentiment gets so loud that some grandstanding politician does something drastic and stupid.
2015-10-14 8:07 AM

User image

Pro

I think that as a pro-gun person, you should be grateful that the only shootings that are covered are mass shootings. If people knew about every time a gun was used in a crime or a road rage incident or an accident, the drumbeat to do something drastic would be even louder. I read something the other day that said we've had one terrorist attack that killed 3000 people and as a result we've dramatically changed how we do many things--travel, go to sporting events, build office buildings, etc. But, in the same period, many times that number have been killed in shootings and we've done nothing. Someone said it earlier on this thread or another: there's no such thing as free--someone always pays for it. The price of that rtba is getting higher all the time and people's minds are changing. If I were the nra, or their political wing, the GOP, I would think it was in the best interests of legal gun owners to get behind some common sense regulations and at least try to roll back this upsurge in gun violence before the tide of anti-gun sentiment gets so loud that some grandstanding politician does something drastic and stupid.
I think you have that wrong jmk....people ARE doing something, they are arming themselves. Every time there is a mass shooting there is actually a spike in gun sales....and on that smaller scale, every local gun crime causes someone to want a gun for protection. The NRA is not shrinking, its growing. There is no politician capable of doing anything about it.....not one. The only thing that will lessen the number of guns being purchased and carried is less crime. Locking criminals up is the only way forward.

Edited by Left Brain 2015-10-14 8:07 AM
2015-10-14 8:10 AM

User image

Elite

I think that as a pro-gun person, you should be grateful that the only shootings that are covered are mass shootings. If people knew about every time a gun was used in a crime or a road rage incident or an accident, the drumbeat to do something drastic would be even louder. I read something the other day that said we've had one terrorist attack that killed 3000 people and as a result we've dramatically changed how we do many things--travel, go to sporting events, build office buildings, etc. But, in the same period, many times that number have been killed in shootings and we've done nothing. Someone said it earlier on this thread or another: there's no such thing as free--someone always pays for it. The price of that rtba is getting higher all the time and people's minds are changing. If I were the nra, or their political wing, the GOP, I would think it was in the best interests of legal gun owners to get behind some common sense regulations and at least try to roll back this upsurge in gun violence before the tide of anti-gun sentiment gets so loud that some grandstanding politician does something drastic and stupid.

So what you are asking is that I get behind doing more of the same. It looks good, sounds good... but does nothing. Obama is taking about taking executive action... changing the number for "dealer". We already had FFL dealers. Those that are corrupt are still corrupt. Private sellers... OK, they get a FFL. It's only a couple bucks. Great... they are FFL now. SO what? What did it change? What does it stop? We simply track more legal sales. 

As far as crime... mass shootings are not actually up despite the news. As horrific as they are, they are still sporadic. Same as they have been. And crime as a whole, violent crime has been on a steady down trend for 2 decades. Crime is down. Lots of contributing factors, but it is down. 

Which actually means... the price for RTBA is actually down. Never have there been so many guns in circulation, and gun deaths are down. I understand that does not fit the narrative, but that is what is going on. 

So what common sense gun regulation should I get behind? What "common sense" am I ignoring? 

2015-10-14 8:46 AM

User image

Pro

So what you are asking is that I get behind doing more of the same. It looks good, sounds good... but does nothing. Obama is taking about taking executive action... changing the number for "dealer". We already had FFL dealers. Those that are corrupt are still corrupt. Private sellers... OK, they get a FFL. It's only a couple bucks. Great... they are FFL now. SO what? What did it change? What does it stop? We simply track more legal sales. 

As far as crime... mass shootings are not actually up despite the news. As horrific as they are, they are still sporadic. Same as they have been. And crime as a whole, violent crime has been on a steady down trend for 2 decades. Crime is down. Lots of contributing factors, but it is down. 

Which actually means... the price for RTBA is actually down. Never have there been so many guns in circulation, and gun deaths are down. I understand that does not fit the narrative, but that is what is going on. 

So what common sense gun regulation should I get behind? What "common sense" am I ignoring? 

Thanks for that reminder, because it's true.  I tend to lose sight of that sometimes when we're busy.

2015-10-14 9:10 AM

User image

Elite

Thanks for that reminder, because it's true.  I tend to lose sight of that sometimes when we're busy.

Ya, awareness is up. Coverage is up. Hysteria is up. Demand for more is up. But crime is down. So all those wanting more gun regs to "do something" are off base. And all those gun nuts thinking we are in "the end of day"... off base.... and that's being polite. 

I am not one of those that think more guns is the answer. Less or more is not the answer... because guns are not the problem. I can't stand gun advocates posting pics of Israeli teachers carrying guns on school outings... "No school shootings in Israel".... HELLO... it's a war zone! I don't want to live in Israel, nor do I want my country looking like the Middle East. More guns are not the solution to crazy people being crazy. More guns only shoot crazy people AFTER they snap. What are we doing about crazy people snapping, or some isolated young adult on a steady diet of psych meds that wants to be famous? 

Columbine kids got legal guns. Lanza had legal guns. West Virginia had legal guns. Aurora had legal guns. Oregon had legal guns. The only thing to stop that, is to get rid of legal guns.... or, make those in mental health treatment prohibited persons, report mental health to NICS, orrrr... actually fund mental health and actually treat mental illness better. 

2015-10-14 10:38 AM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Lanza and the Columbine kids had guns that were aquired legally by someone else. Lanza used his mothers guns. I'll ask you (powerman) the same question I've asked others: in the case of a mentally ill person, are you ok with taking all of the guns out of the household, even if they're legally owned by someone else?
As far as common sense regulations, I think mandatory training and/or proficiency certification for licensing is a good place to start. I don't see how requiring that someone demonstrates a minimum level of proficiency before they're legally allowed to use a deadly tool is a bad idea. I think you'd weed out a lot of irresponsible gun owners if you required the equivalent of drivers Ed before someone could get a gun license.
2015-10-14 11:00 AM

User image

Elite
Lanza had legal guns in the house. Killing his mother and stealing them were not legal. But they were there legally. And Lanza had nothing on his record that precluded him from buying. The Columbine kids bought a gun they should not have because they were under age. That wasn't legal. But they had others that were. There legally for them to access.

So does a driver's license prevent idiot drivers. If you have training, it does stop you from doing stupid crap. It turns into a piece of paper that has to get signed. Would showing "proof" that you are proficient in handling a firearm stop mass shootings? All the mass shooters showed they were proficient in handling a firearm.

Now accidents... Well sure. But besides supposedly the NRA supporting mass shootings... One of their primary functions is education. They provide a crap ton of it. The vast majority of certification comes from NRA training. You have to go through hunter safety to get a tag. Everyone that gets a carry permit has to do training. So that is already being done whether you think it is or not. Everyone that carries concealed has gun safety training.

How does any form of gun safety training reduces gun crime or mass shooting? Propose gun regulation that reduces gun crime or mass shootings and I will support it.
2015-10-14 11:12 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by jmk-brooklyn Correct me if I'm wrong, but Lanza and the Columbine kids had guns that were aquired legally by someone else. Lanza used his mothers guns. I'll ask you (powerman) the same question I've asked others: in the case of a mentally ill person, are you ok with taking all of the guns out of the household, even if they're legally owned by someone else? As far as common sense regulations, I think mandatory training and/or proficiency certification for licensing is a good place to start. I don't see how requiring that someone demonstrates a minimum level of proficiency before they're legally allowed to use a deadly tool is a bad idea. I think you'd weed out a lot of irresponsible gun owners if you required the equivalent of drivers Ed before someone could get a gun license.

Another big part of this line of thinking is what actually constitutes mental illness?  I was diagnosed with ADHD at one point in my life so I'm technically mentally ill (I know, not a surprise to most of you) and I went to counseling for addiction at back in 2006.  Oh crap, there's two mental illnesses that I've been treated for.
Guess we better take all my guns now for the good of society.

I know you're not proposing these kinds of mental illnesses being serious enough to remove guns from the home, but lawmakers do have to make distinctions of what mental illnesses are considered dangerous and which are not.  If it does become law that mental illnesses of anyone in the family become grounds for losing the 2nd Amendment right to own a gun then it will reduce drastically the amount of parents that do take their kids to the doctor when they're suffering from mental illness.  This would cause an even greater problem IMHO.  

2015-10-14 11:14 AM
in reply to: #5146680

User image

Elite
As far as mental illness... That is a huge can of worms. I can say it, but it doesn't make it easy. So all those on meds will be reported to NICS. All those with PTSD, bipolar, schizophrenia will be barred. Nobody will seek treatment.

Not to mention our entire justice system is based on what you did, not what you can possibly do. Innocent till proven guilty with due process. You can't strip a right without due process. So a person has to be ejudicated a danger.

It's not a specific action like I have been asking... But we simply have to do a much much better job at treating mental illness. For a whole host of reasons. It's costs up prison space, jail space, and many others. It is a glaring deficiency in our society.

No guns in the house... Well, there has to be clear rules. There has to be a clear way to have rights reinstated. It has to be carefully administered as to not discourage people from seeking treatment. It's easy for me to say ban them all... But I'm not crazy. Doesn't effect me.... But how does that stop a normal person from snapping after a series of bad things? How many harmless people will be effected trying to catch a couple rotten apples? Sounds like a big number... For the safety of a few.
2015-10-14 11:57 AM

User image

Pro

My son turns 18 in 2 months......he's grown up around guns.  He's already asked if he can have one in his car after his birthday.  It's legal.  No, he can't.

2015-10-14 12:16 PM

User image

Elite

My son turns 18 in 2 months......he's grown up around guns.  He's already asked if he can have one in his car after his birthday.  It's legal.  No, he can't.

My son in law was a teenager and violent. He was not going down the right path. I have always had "a" gun in the house where I lived. When I moved in with my now wife... we didn't have a gun in the house. I didn't have any guns until he moved out.... to another state. I have my rights... but no. He has a few of his own now. 

2015-10-14 3:29 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY

Lanza had legal guns in the house. Killing his mother and stealing them were not legal. But they were there legally. And Lanza had nothing on his record that precluded him from buying. The Columbine kids bought a gun they should not have because they were under age. That wasn't legal. But they had others that were. There legally for them to access.

So does a driver's license prevent idiot drivers. If you have training, it does stop you from doing stupid crap. It turns into a piece of paper that has to get signed. Would showing "proof" that you are proficient in handling a firearm stop mass shootings? All the mass shooters showed they were proficient in handling a firearm.

Now accidents... Well sure. But besides supposedly the NRA supporting mass shootings... One of their primary functions is education. They provide a crap ton of it. The vast majority of certification comes from NRA training. You have to go through hunter safety to get a tag. Everyone that gets a carry permit has to do training. So that is already being done whether you think it is or not. Everyone that carries concealed has gun safety training.

How does any form of gun safety training reduces gun crime or mass shooting? Propose gun regulation that reduces gun crime or mass shootings and I will support it.

I've said it over and over again. There are too many guns in the hands of people who are not interested or equipped to be responsible with them. Most cops will tell you that it doesn't take much to prevent most crime-a low fence, a sticker that says "guard dog on duty", leaving your lights on when you go on vacation. If you put even small roadblocks in the way of people who aren't committed to being a responsible gun owner, you will discourage many of them from going to the trouble. Yes, there are bad licensed drivers and bad drivers who don't get licenses, but can you imagine how many more horrible drivers would be on the road if all you had to do was go into a dealership, show proof of age, wait a few days, and drive off the lot?
I agree that this probably isn't going to thwart the committed criminal, but stricter licensing requirements, mandatory proficiency testing and recertification would significantly increase the percentage of guns that were in the hands of responsible owners instead of people who got them just because they could but who had no intention of treating their 2a rights with the respect it deserves. You make my point for me. Hunters aren't the problem. People with ccp's aren't the problem. Why? Because the fact that they had to submit to the training required to do those things shows their commitment to being responsible with their guns. Make EVERYBODY who wants a gun go through the same training and certification and a lot of the idiots who are out there now giving responsible gun owners a bad name will decide it's too much trouble to bother to get one.
personally, I think anyone convicted of any kind of violent crime, ever, is unfit to own a gun. Got into a bar fight when you were 25? No guns for you. Domestic abuse rap? Bye bye guns. Child abuse, misdemeanor assault, etc. If you demonstrate that you're incapable of controlling your temper, you don't get a gun, because the next time you lose your temper, you might be holding it and someone might get killed. If you aren't responsible enough not to punch out a stranger who cut you off on the highway, you certainly can't be trusted with a loaded weapon.

Edited by jmk-brooklyn 2015-10-14 3:35 PM
2015-10-14 4:03 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by powerman Lanza had legal guns in the house. Killing his mother and stealing them were not legal. But they were there legally. And Lanza had nothing on his record that precluded him from buying. The Columbine kids bought a gun they should not have because they were under age. That wasn't legal. But they had others that were. There legally for them to access. So does a driver's license prevent idiot drivers. If you have training, it does stop you from doing stupid crap. It turns into a piece of paper that has to get signed. Would showing "proof" that you are proficient in handling a firearm stop mass shootings? All the mass shooters showed they were proficient in handling a firearm. Now accidents... Well sure. But besides supposedly the NRA supporting mass shootings... One of their primary functions is education. They provide a crap ton of it. The vast majority of certification comes from NRA training. You have to go through hunter safety to get a tag. Everyone that gets a carry permit has to do training. So that is already being done whether you think it is or not. Everyone that carries concealed has gun safety training. How does any form of gun safety training reduces gun crime or mass shooting? Propose gun regulation that reduces gun crime or mass shootings and I will support it.
I've said it over and over again. There are too many guns in the hands of people who are not interested or equipped to be responsible with them. Most cops will tell you that it doesn't take much to prevent most crime-a low fence, a sticker that says "guard dog on duty", leaving your lights on when you go on vacation. If you put even small roadblocks in the way of people who aren't committed to being a responsible gun owner, you will discourage many of them from going to the trouble. Yes, there are bad licensed drivers and bad drivers who don't get licenses, but can you imagine how many more horrible drivers would be on the road if all you had to do was go into a dealership, show proof of age, wait a few days, and drive off the lot? I agree that this probably isn't going to thwart the committed criminal, but stricter licensing requirements, mandatory proficiency testing and recertification would significantly increase the percentage of guns that were in the hands of responsible owners instead of people who got them just because they could but who had no intention of treating their 2a rights with the respect it deserves. You make my point for me. Hunters aren't the problem. People with ccp's aren't the problem. Why? Because the fact that they had to submit to the training required to do those things shows their commitment to being responsible with their guns. Make EVERYBODY who wants a gun go through the same training and certification and a lot of the idiots who are out there now giving responsible gun owners a bad name will decide it's too much trouble to bother to get one. personally, I think anyone convicted of any kind of violent crime, ever, is unfit to own a gun. Got into a bar fight when you were 25? No guns for you. Domestic abuse rap? Bye bye guns. Child abuse, misdemeanor assault, etc. If you demonstrate that you're incapable of controlling your temper, you don't get a gun, because the next time you lose your temper, you might be holding it and someone might get killed. If you aren't responsible enough not to punch out a stranger who cut you off on the highway, you certainly can't be trusted with a loaded weapon.

My main beef is the last paragraph.  In spirit I agree with you and it's essentially there with any Felony offender not being able to own a gun.  Those include all Felonies though including non violent stuff.  With violent crime there are a ton of circumstances where I wouldn't have a problem with somebody owning a gun because the circumstance of the offense doesn't warrant it.  One of the sales guys I have working for me got into a fight trying to protect a girl who was getting harassed in college.  The police ended up charging them both with misdemeanor assault and he just plead it out, paid his $50 to make it go away.  20 years later he still has a misdemeanor "violent crime" on his rap sheet but any reasonable person can see it for what it is.

Here's an article from earlier this year that talks about violent crime not meaning what a lot of people think it means.  It's in the context of letting "non-violent" offenders out of prison but the logic is the same. (can I use LA Times as a source? <prays to the source nazi gods for leniency>
http://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed/la-oe-roth-non-violent-prison-clemency-20150724-story.html

Conceptualizing nonviolent drug offenders as somehow qualitatively different from other offenders creates a false distinction. Many crimes labeled “violent” under our criminal codes are either directly motivated by drug addiction or directly related to drug sales or possession. A heroin-addicted veteran who walks into a garage to steal tools to feed his drug habit has committed a first-degree burglary, a “violent” crime under many state codes. A drug-motivated unarmed robbery in which the offender pushes the victim, takes cash from his wallet, and runs away is also a “violent” crime under most state laws. A person who owns a firearm and has it in his house while engaging in a drug deal has committed a “crime of violence” under the federal sentencing guidelines. In short, “violent crime” is a legally constructed term that includes within its broad reach a great deal of drug-related conduct that wouldn't be considered “violent,” as Americans colloquially use that term.

2015-10-14 6:24 PM

User image

Elite
So JMK, what is the "irresponsible gun owner" problem you are trying to solve? How many deaths/injuries a year does it cause? I have yet to hear about the irresponsible gun owner epidemic we have in this country. We don't seem to agree on what we should do about murder/mass murder.... But you want to tackle irresponsible people?

Road rage is a crime. Brandishing is a crime. Intimidation, harassment, false imprisonment all crimes. The law itself make a distinction with a misdemeanor /felony/aggravated assault. Different levels of punishment for different levels of severity. I've actually been in a few bar fights. Never threw the first punch. But still happened. But I should be barred for life hu?

It seems the stumbling block here is the difference between an inalienable right, and a privilege. A gun is a right. I don't need your permission. SCOTUS has ruled very clearly from day one, the only way you can be stripped of a right, is through due process. The Constitution makes that clear. The ACLU has fought tirelessly against any form of "test" for rights. What do you think Jim Crow was about? The left has an absolute cow by the mere mention of voter ID. Why do you think that is? Seems simple enough... Prove you are who you say you are and a legal citizen before you get to vote... Absolute cow. Look at all those poor people you are trying to disenfranchised burdening them with an ID. Voting is a right!

Heck, the ACLU has set more scumbags free than Castro ever dreamed. And while some of their results may be quite distasteful to me, thank God somebody is fighting to protect our rights. A pedophile goes free over a technicality of procedure, but you want to strip the rights of someone you think is irresponsible?

As much as you and I may agree the world is full of idiots.... We don't get to decide who is covered under the Constitution and who isn't with a "test". The Constitution already decided that.

It's the exact same problem the right has with a lot of stuff... Don't wrap yourself up in the flag and talk to me about freedom, and then try to keep from those you disagree with on how they decide to use it. Either we are free, or we are not. You do not get to decide what someone else does with their freedom. If they break the law, we have a process for that.
New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Gun Advocates, What Say You?? Rss Feed  

of 16

RELATED POSTS

Gun advocates plan 5k run Pages: 1 2

Started by DanielG
Views: 2792 Posts: 27

2013-07-05 3:15 PM 1_Mad_Madone

Medical Groups Oppose Gun-Law Change To Share Mental Health Records

Started by DanielG
Views: 1902 Posts: 11

2013-06-19 2:04 PM powerman

CA "Gun Control" Bill basically bans all firearms

Started by bcart1991
Views: 2154 Posts: 6

2013-06-03 10:30 PM SevenZulu

'The' Gun Thread Pages: 1 ... 45 46 47 48

Started by Ron
Views: 41082 Posts: 1177

2013-06-21 10:20 AM powerman

Gun threads - UPDATE

Started by Ron
Views: 2896 Posts: 2

2013-06-06 12:18 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 19, 2013
author : AMSSM
comments : 4
The doctor says not to run again. Ever. Needless to say, I’m not taking this very well. Can I recover from this? Where should I go from here?