Other Resources The Political Joe » Gun Advocates, What Say You?? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 16

2015-12-19 11:43 AM
in reply to: jmk-brooklyn

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
Subject: RE: Gun Advocates, What Say You??

Originally posted by jmk-brooklyn
Originally posted by tuwood
Originally posted by ejshowersThis continues to pi$$ me off and makes me shake my head in disbelief. Bill Moyers wrote this today about the deficit spending budget bill (thanks Repubs for your awesome fiscal responsibility!) that will (likely) pass:"Thanks to the Republican-controlled House, and to the applause of the firearms industry, even in the wake of San Bernardino and every other mass killing this year, the bill still bans federal funding for public-health scientists to study the causes of gun violence."Ok Gun Advocates, explain to me why the CDC, NIH and others should continue (since 1996) to be banned from receiving federal funds to study this?
Whoa, whoa-- don't all answer at once! One at a time.... you in the back...the one with the "Nebraska Loves Trump" shirt....
I think I'm starting to get under your skin. Hehe. My trump shirt just says Trump 2016, but I like your idea.
It's all in good fun.

You know I love you.  

2015-12-19 4:00 PM
in reply to: jmk-brooklyn

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by ejshowers This continues to pi$$ me off and makes me shake my head in disbelief. Bill Moyers wrote this today about the deficit spending budget bill (thanks Repubs for your awesome fiscal responsibility!) that will (likely) pass: "Thanks to the Republican-controlled House, and to the applause of the firearms industry, even in the wake of San Bernardino and every other mass killing this year, the bill still bans federal funding for public-health scientists to study the causes of gun violence." Ok Gun Advocates, explain to me why the CDC, NIH and others should continue (since 1996) to be banned from receiving federal funds to study this?

Because it's REALLY dumb to spend money on a study that everybody knows the answer to.......the cause of gun violence is.......

~drum roll please~

People point guns at other people and pull the trigger.

Ok, but again, this is an example of someone saying, "guns themselves aren't the problem, so let's try to find out what conditions create the greatest risk for gun violence?" Is it strict gun laws? Lenient gun laws? Economic factors? Everyone has their theories and it's all just conjecture without scientific study. But, again, when someone says, "we can't stem gun violence by limiting guns, so let's try to find another way to do it", the gun lobby says, "no can do." If i was really cynical, I'd be inclined to think that the gun lobby doesn't want to reduce gun violence because it would be bad for business.

Where is someone saying that?  Look, I already know guns are not the problem...and I already know what conditions create the greatest risk for gun violence.....it's poverty.....and everyone else with a brain knows that too.  All you have to do is put marks on a map coinciding with gun crime and see where the greatest congregation of dots end up.  It's been done, ad nauseam.  

The libs want gun control.......but they don't have the stomach to hold people personally responsible for the illegal use of guns by the THOUSANDS of gun control laws already on the books.  So be it.

I'm sorry.......you're going to have to sell this "we need a study" BS to someone else.  I know what this is.  I'd rather take the study money and build more prisons for the people who can't live among us in peace.

2015-12-19 4:11 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
Why the hell would anyone want to create another overfunded government study on this. There are so many independent studies already. It's senseless! It's not that fun advocates don't want these studies done, it's that they already are done. They don't want the government doing some politically motivated study on top of that!!! This all goes back to the competency issues I mentioned before. I wouldn't support any funds for study until they start enforcing the laws we already have. Until then, there's no point in wasting more tax payer dollars
2015-12-19 4:53 PM
in reply to: Meulen

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by Meulen Why the hell would anyone want to create another overfunded government study on this. There are so many independent studies already. It's senseless! It's not that fun advocates don't want these studies done, it's that they already are done. They don't want the government doing some politically motivated study on top of that!!! This all goes back to the competency issues I mentioned before. I wouldn't support any funds for study until they start enforcing the laws we already have. Until then, there's no point in wasting more tax payer dollars

not to mention "study" is often code for funneling ridiculous amounts of money to a special interest that put you in office.  I've fought against several stupid studies in Nebraska that were blatant paybacks to donors.

2015-12-21 2:38 PM

User image

Master
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Bronze member

Originally posted by ejshowers This continues to pi$$ me off and makes me shake my head in disbelief. Bill Moyers wrote this today about the deficit spending budget bill (thanks Repubs for your awesome fiscal responsibility!) that will (likely) pass: "Thanks to the Republican-controlled House, and to the applause of the firearms industry, even in the wake of San Bernardino and every other mass killing this year, the bill still bans federal funding for public-health scientists to study the causes of gun violence." Ok Gun Advocates, explain to me why the CDC, NIH and others should continue (since 1996) to be banned from receiving federal funds to study this?

Because it's REALLY dumb to spend money on a study that everybody knows the answer to.......the cause of gun violence is.......

~drum roll please~

Ok, but again, this is an example of someone saying, "guns themselves aren't the problem, so let's try to find out what conditions create the greatest risk for gun violence?" Is it strict gun laws? Lenient gun laws? Economic factors? Everyone has their theories and it's all just conjecture without scientific study. But, again, when someone says, "we can't stem gun violence by limiting guns, so let's try to find another way to do it", the gun lobby says, "no can do." If i was really cynical, I'd be inclined to think that the gun lobby doesn't want to reduce gun violence because it would be bad for business.

Where is someone saying that?  Look, I already know guns are not the problem...and I already know what conditions create the greatest risk for gun violence.....it's poverty.....and everyone else with a brain knows that too.  All you have to do is put marks on a map coinciding with gun crime and see where the greatest congregation of dots end up.  It's been done, ad nauseam.  

The libs want gun control.......but they don't have the stomach to hold people personally responsible for the illegal use of guns by the THOUSANDS of gun control laws already on the books.  So be it.

I'm sorry.......you're going to have to sell this "we need a study" BS to someone else.  I know what this is.  I'd rather take the study money and build more prisons for the people who can't live among us in peace.

No one is saying in this thread that there NEEDS to be a study. I am only asking why Federal monies should not be able to be used if someone wanted to study it, and why should it be part of a budget bill! What other industry or issue has such a ban in place? We don't ban federal money from researching some exotic bird, insect, plant and certainly not something with potential public health concern like a virus, so why death or injury from guns? Sounds like a potential public health issue to me. Let those researchers that want to study this fight for Federal grant dollars like everyone else!
2015-12-21 2:50 PM
in reply to: ejshowers

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by ejshowers

~drum roll please~

No one is saying in this thread that there NEEDS to be a study. I am only asking why Federal monies should not be able to be used if someone wanted to study it, and why should it be part of a budget bill! What other industry or issue has such a ban in place? We don't ban federal money from researching some exotic bird, insect, plant and certainly not something with potential public health concern like a virus, so why death or injury from guns? Sounds like a potential public health issue to me. Let those researchers that want to study this fight for Federal grant dollars like everyone else!

In that context, I tend to agree with you.

Now generally speaking and much broader I'm more in line with the government getting out of the "study grant" business altogether for all of the subjects you mention, but that's a whole other thread.  lol

2015-12-21 3:33 PM

User image

Pro

~drum roll please~

Oh....I bet I would be against many things the Federal Govt. see fit to fund in regard to studies......this is just one of them.

2015-12-21 4:58 PM

User image

Chicago, IL

There's no need for studies.
Every other developed country on the planet has a model you can follow. Just need the politicians to get off their knees, and wipe the NRA's salvation from their lips, before taking action.

Every country has poverty. Every country has conflict. Every country has mental health issues.

Statistics don't lie.
30,000+ gun deaths annually, don't lie.
More gun deaths since 1970, than the CUMULATIVE deaths from EVERY WAR in the USofA's history, don't lie.

2015-12-21 4:59 PM
in reply to: Brit Abroad

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Brit Abroad

Every other developed country on the planet has a model you can follow. Just need the politicians to get off their knees, and wipe the NRA's salvation from their lips, before taking action.

Every country has poverty. Every country has conflict. Every country has mental health issues.

Statistics don't lie.
More gun deaths since 1970, than the CUMULATIVE deaths from EVERY WAR in the USofA's history, don't lie.

Ah....you still think 400,000,000 guns can be reeled in.  LMAO

2015-12-21 7:57 PM
in reply to: 0

New user
Originally posted by Brit Abroad

Statistics don't lie.

But we are the ONLY country with the second amendment. I bet "every other developed nation" wouldn't let me have the rifle range I have on my property either. I bet there are more shots fired (a lot more) at my home range, week in and week out, than in any high crime area in a major city. And you know what? There has never been a gun related injury or death. No one likes gun deaths, but vilifying law abiding gun owners like myself serves no purpose but to divide a populace. I am with LB, commit a crime with a gun and go away for a very long time. Just leave law abiding folks like myself alone.

Edited by NXS 2015-12-21 7:58 PM
2015-12-21 8:53 PM

User image

Pro

As for the NRA.....they claim 5 million members.  It's been reported that they comprise only 5-7% of gun owners.  So.......you think the other ~90,000,000+ gun owners are just going to turn their guns in?  I'm not a member of the NRA.....and couldn't give a rats arse what their stand is on anything. In fact, the only time I read anything about the NRA is when someone like you brings them up. It looks like I'm not alone.

So......you think that what works in say.......England, with a TOTAL population of ~50,000,000 is going to work in our country, where twice that many people own guns?  HAHAHAHAHA!!! 

Maybe we can do like Australia.....you know, the country with a TOTAL population of less than 7% of the total guns in the US. I won't laugh at you again.....but C'mon!!!......be serious..

I'll say it again.....the horse is out of the barn, and the barn got burned to the ground.  Even THINKING you can get rid of guns in this country is ridiculous.  That's why nothing gets done with regard to gun violence.....because people like you are wrapped up in a solution that is absolutely unworkable.  Forget about the guns....you can never get them back.  Concentrate on criminals......that's the only way to gain some traction. 

I know it's hard for a liberal gun control advocate to accept a higher incarceration rate. (no sarcasm here.....I understand that)....but that's all you are left with. I know gun owners... forget about getting their guns

Or.....you could go buy a gun. 

Edited by Left Brain 2015-12-21 9:07 PM

2015-12-22 8:56 AM

User image

Master
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Bronze member

As for the NRA.....they claim 5 million members.  It's been reported that they comprise only 5-7% of gun owners.  So.......you think the other ~90,000,000+ gun owners are just going to turn their guns in?  I'm not a member of the NRA.....and couldn't give a rats arse what their stand is on anything. In fact, the only time I read anything about the NRA is when someone like you brings them up. It looks like I'm not alone.

So......you think that what works in say.......England, with a TOTAL population of ~50,000,000 is going to work in our country, where twice that many people own guns?  HAHAHAHAHA!!! 

Maybe we can do like Australia.....you know, the country with a TOTAL population of less than 7% of the total guns in the US. I won't laugh at you again.....but C'mon!!!......be serious..

I'll say it again.....the horse is out of the barn, and the barn got burned to the ground.  Even THINKING you can get rid of guns in this country is ridiculous.  That's why nothing gets done with regard to gun violence.....because people like you are wrapped up in a solution that is absolutely unworkable.  Forget about the guns....you can never get them back.  Concentrate on criminals......that's the only way to gain some traction. 

I know it's hard for a liberal gun control advocate to accept a higher incarceration rate. (no sarcasm here.....I understand that)....but that's all you are left with. I know gun owners... forget about getting their guns

No, I won't be buying a gun anytime soon as I don't want to put my family at greater risk of death or injury due to a firearm. Statistics don't lie on that one.
2015-12-22 9:27 AM

User image

Pro

No, I won't be buying a gun anytime soon as I don't want to put my family at greater risk of death or injury due to a firearm. Statistics don't lie on that one.
Well, a man's got to know his limitations. I respect that.
2015-12-22 9:28 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Only when the gun owner is irresponsible and as much as we like to poke at you I know you would be very responsible.

Either way, it's absolutely your choice and I have no problem with you not owning a gun.  I'm a pretty big gun guy that was military trained and I didn't own a gun for many years because my wife was nervous about having a gun in the house with small kids.  Now we both carry and I have a bunch of them.  hehe

2015-12-22 9:29 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

I'm not a member of the NRA and have no desire to become one either.

2015-12-22 10:19 AM

User image

Master
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Bronze member

Gotta love the old Dirty Harry flicks! I got all of them as boxed set last year and enjoyed re-watching them all, mostly while on the treadmill or bike of course :-)

2015-12-22 10:29 AM

User image

Pro

Gotta love the old Dirty Harry flicks! I got all of them as boxed set last year and enjoyed re-watching them all, mostly while on the treadmill or bike of course :-)

I'm glad you got the reference.....because I meant it sincerely.  There was a time, when my kids were little, when I wouldn't even bring my pistol home from work, and the guns I have at home never left a safe that 4 men couldn't move.  I knew damn well that I was so comfortable around guns that I'd be likely to leave mine laying around when I took it off after work......my own limitation.

I carry a gun quite a bit now when I'm not working.......and I hate every minute of it.  It's just a giant pain in the arse.

As for Dirty Harry.......if I read one more report about a gun stolen from an unlocked car I'm liable to go into Harry mode.  Unbelievable. We should be alloowed to shoot those idiots in the leg or something.

Edited by Left Brain 2015-12-22 10:34 AM
2015-12-22 10:37 AM

User image

Master
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Bronze member

I'm glad you got the reference.....because I meant it sincerely.  There was a time, when my kids were little, when I wouldn't even bring my pistol home from work, and the guns I have at home never left a safe that 4 men couldn't move.  I knew damn well that I was so comfortable around guns that I'd be likely to leave mine laying around when I took it off after work......my own limitation.

I carry a gun quite a bit now when I'm not working.......and I hate every minute of it.  It's just a giant pain in the arse.

As for Dirty Harry.......if I read one more report about a gun stolen from an unlocked car I'm liable to go into Harry mode.  Unbelievable. We should be alloowed to shoot those idiots in the leg or something.

Thanks. Use for suicide is what I fear most. Over 50% of suicides in the US are done via a gun. :-(
2015-12-22 10:43 AM

User image

Pro

Thanks. Use for suicide is what I fear most. Over 50% of suicides in the US are done via a gun. :-(

I bet it's quite a bit higher than 50% from what I have experienced.  For sure, it makes getting it done pretty easy.....I suppose there'd be less if it wasn't that easy, so your point is a good one.

2016-02-02 8:04 PM
in reply to: jeffnboise

User image

Originally posted by jeffnboise

Firstly, Deepest condolences to all those who have been effected by gun violence.

We, as a country, have a gun violence problem.  

So, let me ask you.....what Legislative measure WOULD you consider as a means to (possibly) curb some of these horrible instances from occurring.

I'm NOT trolling for a Gun/No Gun debate; just curious what measures even the most ardent 2A supporter would consider implementing. 

Could you do a couple of things before I try to respond.

How are you defining "a gun violence problem"?

Could you provide the current gun laws on the books, Federal and your state and/or the state of Nevada?

2016-02-13 3:52 PM
in reply to: crusevegas

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

Originally posted by crusevegas

Firstly, Deepest condolences to all those who have been effected by gun violence.

So, let me ask you.....what Legislative measure WOULD you consider as a means to (possibly) curb some of these horrible instances from occurring.

I'm NOT trolling for a Gun/No Gun debate; just curious what measures even the most ardent 2A supporter would consider implementing. 

Could you provide the current gun laws on the books, Federal and your state and/or the state of Nevada?

Clear enuff?

2016-02-13 5:04 PM

New user

Clear enuff?

None.

2016-02-13 10:54 PM

User image

Clear enuff?

And I think before we start talking about what additional laws should be passed it would be helpful to know what laws are on the books now.  Do you agree or disagree? Clear enuff?

I'll give you this bit of fact though, Gun Free Zones don't work, do away with them. They should be re-named Target Rich Zones for the criminally insane. You do know most mass shooting occur in "Gun Free Zones" right?

Since we have a constitutional right to have firearms, instituting a mandatory firearm training and gun safety course in elementary school would also help. Take the mystery out of it and provide knowledge and education. You're not against knowledge and education are you?

If you need me to explain anything in more detail, please feel free to politely ask. 

2016-02-14 5:10 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

Clear enuff?

And I think before we start talking about what additional laws should be passed it would be helpful to know what laws are on the books now.  Do you agree or disagree? Clear enuff?

I'll give you this bit of fact though, Gun Free Zones don't work, do away with them. They should be re-named Target Rich Zones for the criminally insane. You do know most mass shooting occur in "Gun Free Zones" right?

Since we have a constitutional right to have firearms, instituting a mandatory firearm training and gun safety course in elementary school would also help. Take the mystery out of it and provide knowledge and education. You're not against knowledge and education are you?

If you need me to explain anything in more detail, please feel free to politely ask

.Not at all!  If you had bothered to read all of the thread, I'm sure the education idea came up.  And I'm good with that.  And since we're getting all 'educational'.  Perhaps we can ALSO use the school to teach our kids about sex education and birth control, the 'possible' effects of burning carbon fuels on our planet, evolution and any OTHER number of theology based-topics that I'm quite certain the Right would loss their minds over. 

Look , Cruz.  We don't agree on many....well, anything-and it took 15 pages of thoughtful discussions before you did EXACTLY what I asked we not do.  Make it a pro/anti gun debate.  If you wanna play in someone's sandbox-you gotta be considerate of the person who invited you.  Let's agree to disagree.   

Edited by jeffnboise 2016-02-14 5:11 PM
2016-02-14 11:12 PM

User image

Clear enuff?

If you need me to explain anything in more detail, please feel free to politely ask

.Not at all!  If you had bothered to read all of the thread, I'm sure the education idea came up.  And I'm good with that.  And since we're getting all 'educational'.  Perhaps we can ALSO use the school to teach our kids about sex education and birth control, the 'possible' effects of burning carbon fuels on our planet, evolution and any OTHER number of theology based-topics that I'm quite certain the Right would loss their minds over. 

Look , Cruz.  We don't agree on many....well, anything-and it took 15 pages of thoughtful discussions before you did EXACTLY what I asked we not do.  Make it a pro/anti gun debate.  If you wanna play in someone's sandbox-you gotta be considerate of the person who invited you.  Let's agree to disagree.   

Just to be clear on two points I'm getting from what you've said to me.

1. If someone has already made a suggestion on how to lower gun deaths/injuries nobody else should make the same suggestion or at the very least I shouldn't.

2. It's your contention that we should ignore the laws already on the books and just start proposing new one...... Congrats, you sound like an elected official. 

This isn't your sand box, this is a "community" sand box, as I understand, unless you've purchased it from the owners. 

I'm flattered that you think you know me so well. 

New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Gun Advocates, What Say You?? Rss Feed  

of 16

RELATED POSTS

Gun advocates plan 5k run Pages: 1 2

Started by DanielG
Views: 2777 Posts: 27

2013-07-05 3:15 PM 1_Mad_Madone

Medical Groups Oppose Gun-Law Change To Share Mental Health Records

Started by DanielG
Views: 1899 Posts: 11

2013-06-19 2:04 PM powerman

CA "Gun Control" Bill basically bans all firearms

Started by bcart1991
Views: 2149 Posts: 6

2013-06-03 10:30 PM SevenZulu

'The' Gun Thread Pages: 1 ... 45 46 47 48

Started by Ron
Views: 41049 Posts: 1177

2013-06-21 10:20 AM powerman

Gun threads - UPDATE

Started by Ron
Views: 2894 Posts: 2

2013-06-06 12:18 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 19, 2013
author : AMSSM
comments : 4
The doctor says not to run again. Ever. Needless to say, I’m not taking this very well. Can I recover from this? Where should I go from here?