General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Home made Buoyancy shorts Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-10-12 8:38 AM

Subject: Home made Buoyancy shorts
Afternoon all.

before I reached 40 I decided to learn how to swim.

A year later I decided to set myself the challenge of doing an open water mile swim.

A year after that I decided to do an Olympic distance triathlon.

This year I want to improve my time

The reason for the post is that for the past year or so I have swam in the pool with a pull buoy between my legs.

I have now decided to try and get a bit more power from my legs.

In the pool last night someone mentioned that my legs were very low, and that "Johnny" had a similar problem until he got a pair of Buoyancy shorts

I assume a bit like these

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/zone3-buoyancy-shorts/?lang=en&curr=GBP&des...

My question is, not to the effectiveness of this type of short, or whether I will become dependent on them.

I have NEVER competed without wearing a wetsuit, and never will, so every training aid helps.

But would it be possible to make a pair myself, cutting down an old shortie wetsuit (say one for wakebaording) into a pair of shorts..........or would these offer a different type of buoyancy?

Thanks in advance for the guidance on this.

K

2015-10-12 8:38 PM
in reply to: kiteman69

User image

Ottawa, Ontario
Subject: RE: Home made Buoyancy shorts
It'll be the same type of buoyancy, but you'll have to be careful about the waist area in order to keep water out. I'd think you'll likely want to sew in a drawstring around the waist in order to cinch it tight.

As the the logic of "I never race in non-wetsuit swims, so might as well simulate a wetsuit in training all the time", there may be some validity to that, however, you are shortchanging yourself by not learning how to swim properly. In my experience, swimming with buoyancy shorts is good for teaching you what proper body positioning should feel like, but it doesn't teach you how to properly employ the whole kinetic chain in order to achieve that. Getting that good body position by employing proper technique and power will make you a faster swimmer, even if you only ever race in a wetsuit.

Nothing wrong with using those shorts, but it shouldn't be all you ever do if your goal is to become a faster swimmer. If you just want to enjoy your swims and this will help you do that, then have at it.
2015-10-13 3:46 AM
in reply to: SenatorClayDavis

Subject: RE: Home made Buoyancy shorts
Thanks Senator.

I will look for something "cheap" on e8ay.

That way I won't cry too much when it gets binned in a month or 2s time
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Home made Buoyancy shorts Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Any tri shorts with buoyancy?

Started by barnanimal
Views: 7110 Posts: 7

2012-06-15 9:49 AM faded_memories

Zone 3 Neoprene Buoyancy Shorts-used 'em?

Started by Thomass
Views: 3249 Posts: 2

2011-07-06 6:34 AM DanielG

Shorts, shorts, shorts

Started by natcon96785
Views: 947 Posts: 2

2008-03-12 7:23 AM sgillen

home made rollers

Started by nbo10
Views: 770 Posts: 5

2005-10-28 2:48 PM hangloose

Tri shorts vs Cycling shorts

Started by cobi
Views: 1592 Posts: 6

2005-02-28 12:16 PM Machiavelo
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 4, 2007
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
A quick and easy 20 minute at home strength training workout. This is a freeweight workout, so only a few dumbbells are needed.