Other Resources The Political Joe » Got my 2016 insurance rates today Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-12-15 5:53 PM

Subject: Got my 2016 insurance rates today
all I can say is what the hell is wrong with people that they continue to be willfully blind about what a disaster that Affordable - Care Act is - more than 70% of the people obama gave millions of dollars to so they could create an insurance company have gone bankrupt. very few insurance companies left carrying all the dead weight, the whiners and the hypochondriacs while the health care providers, hospitals and doctors alike, are milking the requirement that everyone have champaign coverage for every cent. in the mean time, my premiums went up 48%! Now i pay more than $400 a month in premiums covering just me with a $13000 deductible. that's $5000 in premiums and $13000 in deductibles - a total of $18,000 spent before i get a penny's worth of coverage. I have not gone to the doctor a single time in two years -- really?! this is affordable? the hell it is - it is a tax on not being illegal, a 1%er or on welfare.

2015-12-15 7:33 PM
in reply to: Dutchcrush

User image

Master
Sunny Southern Cal
Subject: RE: Got my 2016 insurance rates today

If you have a stroke or heart attack worrying over how you'll afford this coverage, then you'll be glad you have it.

2015-12-15 8:56 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Originally posted by SevenZulu

If you have a stroke or heart attack worrying over how you'll afford this coverage, then you'll be glad you have it.

But he had coverage before.....and it was nearly half as expensive....and less stroke inducing.

Edited by Left Brain 2015-12-15 8:57 PM
2015-12-15 11:27 PM
in reply to: Dutchcrush

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by Dutchcrush all I can say is what the hell is wrong with people that they continue to be willfully blind about what a disaster that Affordable - Care Act is - more than 70% of the people obama gave millions of dollars to so they could create an insurance company have gone bankrupt. very few insurance companies left carrying all the dead weight, the whiners and the hypochondriacs while the health care providers, hospitals and doctors alike, are milking the requirement that everyone have champaign coverage for every cent. in the mean time, my premiums went up 48%! Now i pay more than $400 a month in premiums covering just me with a $13000 deductible. that's $5000 in premiums and $13000 in deductibles - a total of $18,000 spent before i get a penny's worth of coverage. I have not gone to the doctor a single time in two years -- really?! this is affordable? the hell it is - it is a tax on not being illegal, a 1%er or on welfare.

It's sad that it's taken this many years for the supporters of the ACA to finally see what it will do.  Anyone with half a brain could tell that this would happen, but I will guarantee you that several will still say the ACA is working just fine and awesome.

I'm still trying to figure out what to do with my company because our rates are skyrocketing next year as well.  I either have to absorb an additional employee salary worth of expense every month or pass the expenses on to my existing employees who have never paid a penny for healthcare the past 6 years.  I have always paid 100% of their premium and fully funded their HSA accounts.  I know for sure that the $350/mo. company HSA contribution is gone, but I will likely still make them pay for a portion of their premiums as well.

I have seriously considered canceling all of our medical insurance and just letting everyone go to the exchange and just give the employees a "medical insurance stipend".  It would be a lot cheaper for me, but way more expensive for the employees so I'm not that mean.  

2015-12-16 9:31 AM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

mines cheap, only $140 a month, I love the ACA

2015-12-16 10:17 AM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Pro
Tejas
Originally posted by tuwood

Originally posted by Dutchcrush all I can say is what the hell is wrong with people that they continue to be willfully blind about what a disaster that Affordable - Care Act is - more than 70% of the people obama gave millions of dollars to so they could create an insurance company have gone bankrupt. very few insurance companies left carrying all the dead weight, the whiners and the hypochondriacs while the health care providers, hospitals and doctors alike, are milking the requirement that everyone have champaign coverage for every cent. in the mean time, my premiums went up 48%! Now i pay more than $400 a month in premiums covering just me with a $13000 deductible. that's $5000 in premiums and $13000 in deductibles - a total of $18,000 spent before i get a penny's worth of coverage. I have not gone to the doctor a single time in two years -- really?! this is affordable? the hell it is - it is a tax on not being illegal, a 1%er or on welfare.

It's sad that it's taken this many years for the supporters of the ACA to finally see what it will do.  Anyone with half a brain could tell that this would happen, but I will guarantee you that several will still say the ACA is working just fine and awesome.

I'm still trying to figure out what to do with my company because our rates are skyrocketing next year as well.  I either have to absorb an additional employee salary worth of expense every month or pass the expenses on to my existing employees who have never paid a penny for healthcare the past 6 years.  I have always paid 100% of their premium and fully funded their HSA accounts.  I know for sure that the $350/mo. company HSA contribution is gone, but I will likely still make them pay for a portion of their premiums as well.

I have seriously considered canceling all of our medical insurance and just letting everyone go to the exchange and just give the employees a "medical insurance stipend".  It would be a lot cheaper for me, but way more expensive for the employees so I'm not that mean.  

I pay 500 a month ( family of 4, medical.dental PPO ) for my employer sponsored plan. Most everyone these days pays a portion of the employer cost. Drop the fully funded HSA and roll that into getting what you'll need them to pay as low as possible. I don't see the advantage of the HSA since my premiums are taken pre tax anyway. I think you really need to have pre-existing conditions or special needs for it to pay off anyway. Does funding their HSAs help your business taxes?

I'm not going to pile on the ACA because it won't sway opponents or proponents. I just know that immediately after ACA was passed my annual premium went up 500. It has continued to go up at an accelerated rate, my co-pays have tripled and my coverage has steadily decreased. I'm not going to mention any names, but someone promised me my rates would go down.

2015-12-16 10:23 AM
in reply to: mdg2003

User image

Pro

Originally posted by mdg2003

. I'm not going to mention any names, but someone promised me my rates would go down.

dmiller

2015-12-16 10:27 AM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Pro
Tejas
Originally posted by dmiller5

David,

Are you using the ACA exchanges or do you have coverage through your employer. I'm just curious. I have a single co-worker and his rate through the company is 200 a month. What kind of coverage is that and what are your co pays and out of pocket limits? Im asking because I honestly do not know anyone who uses the exchanges and am curious about the experience. If I retire at 58, I'll probably need to find out first hand. Just looking for a heads up.
2015-12-16 11:15 AM
in reply to: mdg2003

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by mdg2003

I pay 500 a month ( family of 4, medical.dental PPO ) for my employer sponsored plan. Most everyone these days pays a portion of the employer cost. Drop the fully funded HSA and roll that into getting what you'll need them to pay as low as possible. I don't see the advantage of the HSA since my premiums are taken pre tax anyway. I think you really need to have pre-existing conditions or special needs for it to pay off anyway. Does funding their HSAs help your business taxes? I'm not going to pile on the ACA because it won't sway opponents or proponents. I just know that immediately after ACA was passed my annual premium went up 500. It has continued to go up at an accelerated rate, my co-pays have tripled and my coverage has steadily decreased. I'm not going to mention any names, but someone promised me my rates would go down.

I get to write off the medical expenses as well as the HSA contribution.  My goal was to provide the best possible health insurance for my employees that money could buy as an incentive for new employees and retention of existing.

I can absolutely pass on expenses to employees and it's perfectly in line with what most other companies and my competitors do, but no matter how you skin the cat it's a paycut for my employees and they won't be happy about that.

2015-12-16 6:44 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

So, your saying that Insurance Companies don't have the RIGHT to raise their rates to please their shareholders.

Drug manufactures can't raise their prices to increase profits. 

Medical equipment manufactures can't sell their products for a profit?

I thought the Repub mantra (well, ONE of the Repub mantras) was Unfettered Capitalism.  Right?! 

The ACA has a lot of moving parts.  But restricting the free market activities of medical/pharmaceutical companies is not one of them. 

(because NOBODY would intentionally raise their prices simply because they saw an opportunity to blame the increases on Obama and the ACA)

That's just GREED.   And "GREED IS GOOD", right??   

So, don't thank Obama. 

Side note: For a President as ineffective as so many of you claim, he sure does get a lot of credit for stuff.   hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

edited for spelling and snarkiness removal.

Edited by jeffnboise 2015-12-16 6:47 PM
2015-12-16 7:30 PM
in reply to: jeffnboise

User image

Pro
Tejas
Originally posted by jeffnboise

So, your saying that Insurance Companies don't have the RIGHT to raise their rates to please their shareholders.

I thought the Repub mantra (well, ONE of the Repub mantras) was Unfettered Capitalism.  Right?! 

The ACA has a lot of moving parts.  But restricting the free market activities of medical/pharmaceutical companies is not one of them. 

(because NOBODY would intentionally raise their prices simply because they saw an opportunity to blame the increases on Obama and the ACA)

So, don't thank Obama. 

Side note: For a President as ineffective as so many of you claim, he sure does get a lot of credit for stuff.   hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I woulda loved to have read this pre-snark removal.

2015-12-16 7:51 PM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

Originally posted by dmiller5

There will be NO MORE talk of ACA success stories. 

jeez....liberals!

2015-12-16 8:23 PM
in reply to: jeffnboise

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by jeffnboise

So, don't thank Obama. 

OMG, do you seriously believe this or did you fly to CO before you typed it? 

The federal government and the insurance lobby created the ACA to force everyone to buy insurance.  The government required the insurance companies to insure sick people with the promise that healthy people would come through fear of penalty so that's where they'd make their money.  The healthy people never came so the actuarial tables fell apart quickly.  The insurance companies started hemorrhaging money and they're quitting the ACA exchanges left and right.
I know in Nebraska there's only one company left on the exchange and they're talking about bailing.

It's a complete and utter failure for them financially.  Now I do chuckle a little bit because you are right that they're greedy bastards (my word) but their greed was in the beginning when the law was written.  Unfortunately for them, it blew up in their face so they're now being forced to either raise their rates or exit the exchanges.  They pushed the Feds to pass the ACA so they would mandate everyone buy coverage so they could make bank.  Unfortunately the Feds being the Feds exempted everyone under the sun and made the penalty so small that it's barely a penalty.  Hence, the insurance companies are losing their arse now.  (poor babies)

United Health has announced they are likely exiting all ACA exchanges due to major losses.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2015/11/19/unitedhealth-group-earnings-downgrade-obamacare-affordable-care-act/76040322/

The insurance companies are now doing what they do and lobbying feverishly for their republican and democrat servants to bail them out.  It's disgusting to be blunt.   http://nypost.com/2015/11/20/a-new-taxpayer-bailout-to-cover-up-obamacares-failure/

Don't forget, the insurance companies wanted the ACA.  Obama sold it to us using fear and guilt (everybody should have insurance).  It's a utter financial disaster and will now cost us taxpayers even more money because I can all but guarantee Washington will bail them out.  THIS is the kind of crap that is making Trump surge in the polls. I'm so sick of it.

2015-12-16 8:54 PM

User image

Pro

Do you have any sources beside USAtoday and NYpost.......they are hopelessly conservative and bound to be skewed and biased.

Edited by Left Brain 2015-12-16 8:55 PM
2015-12-19 9:17 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Pro
Tejas
Me and co-workers were discussing our healthcare options when one of the cleaning ladies popped in. She has obamacare and pays $74 a month for her plan. She also mentioned that it sucked and she would be going with one of the other plans her company was offering this year. She also mentioned that all of her co-workers that have it say it sucks as well. She said they would all be going to an HMO for close to 200 a month in hopes of actually being able to use their health care benefits.

She would be the first person I've actually spoken with that uses the program. I will concede that she was unclear on what her co-pays and deductibles were for her current plan and the one she is going to next year. She wasn't very knowledgeable about the plan, but what she did understand about it, she didn't care for.
New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Got my 2016 insurance rates today Rss Feed