General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sternoclavicular joint Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-12-24 10:56 AM

User image

Subject: Sternoclavicular joint
Anybody ever strain your Sternoclavicular joint?

2015-12-29 9:46 AM
in reply to: NJBIll

User image

Brooklyn, New York
Subject: RE: Sternoclavicular joint
My brother did, in a crash complete with shattered clavicle.
How'd you do it?
Self-diagnosed? Or MRI
2015-12-29 9:30 PM
in reply to: #5157855

User image

Certainly not as bad as your brother. I guess I overdid a couple of indoor bike workouts on my tri bike. Did dumbbell curls during the 2 min breaks. (Spinervals) Been doing Spinervals forever. Hard to figure what I did. Lots of neck pain as well. Naproxen to the rescue
2015-12-30 5:50 PM

User image

Brooklyn, New York
Were you raising the dumbells over your head? Out in front of you in a hybrid front deltoid raise? Is your ride position done in aero bars? It takes a great degree of stress to aggravate the sternoclav joint. I have an extensive background in weight training and personal training, it's a rare injury. For you, I'm wondering if it happened doing something other, and then this mentioned session exaserbated it
2015-12-30 9:37 PM
in reply to: #5158300

User image

Hi...I appreciate the interest as the degree of this injury was baffling. I'm a 64 yr old returning to the sport triathlete. Did an early Spinervals workout I've done at least 100 times over the years. I was participating on a weekend workout challenge on the Lose It site. I did a 50 minute workout on Fri evening. I did standing dumbbell curls off the bike during the two 2 min breaks. I did notice that my hr was considerably higher than in previous workouts. I had my eye on the calorie burn rather than hr. On Sat, no issues. Did a 4 mile run. On Sun morning I did feel a soreness.. But something I think I felt before. I thought I might of slept for a while on my fist. Not enough discomfort to due another Spinervals workout on Sundsy. 45 mins , hr was lower. Dumbbell curls again. I use a fluid trainer on one of my bikes with aero bars. Used this set up for past 4 months. Monday morning had more pain. Got really bad on Tuesday. The 18 mile ride home in my car was unbearable I had started naproxen on tues morning. Called my wife on ride home to find the pain pills that were prescribed last year with a back issue. Dr on Wed diagnosed the strain and advised to continue with naproxen By Sat all ok pain was sharp to touch on s/c joint and neck pain. Im mystified why this was so painful. Thanks for listening!
2015-12-31 11:13 AM

User image

Brooklyn, New York
With neck pain as well, it may not even be the joint, but the sternocleidomastoid muscle. Look it up. Docs are so quick to just say take a pill, oy. Take turmeric and ginger religiously, it works wonders. If I were you I would be doing warm/hot compresses, and some neck exercises and also light pec flyes to stretch the pecs out which affect clavicular movement; as well as light overhead pressing for strengthening. I left out a lot of detail here, but keep me posted

2015-12-31 12:43 PM
in reply to: #5158435

User image

Thanks! I think you right on the light exercises. Even when I was actively competing approx 15 yrs ago, I was good about my swim, bike, run training..but I never really work on my core...I mean to do it on rest days but never get to it. The s/c definitely was painfull to touch but the neck pain was high when driving. Going to start a light core work out. Any thoughts on the Total Gym machine? Also, I noticed today I noticed my bike might be to close to tv. Thus lifting my head to much while in aero position...
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sternoclavicular joint Rss Feed