BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS) - Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 118

2016-09-14 3:29 AM
in reply to: Fourteenkittens

User image

New user
Madrid
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS) - Open
Originally posted by Fourteenkittens

I need to replace my cleats, which has gotten me to wondering about other long lasting wear items. When do folks tend replace things like bike shoes, tires, or helmets? Mine are all finishing their sixth season and I wonder how many more I can eke out.

Replacing these items depends: tires when they are worn out (I don´t look at miles ridden, just the surface); bike shoes and helmets, usually because you get tired of them (I "need" to change my bike shoes even though after 5 sessions they may last another five....and instead have already 3 helmets during the same period) - buying new staff and gadgets is a big high for training and racing!

Juan

2016-09-14 3:31 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

New user
Madrid
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Wow, everyone.  @ Juan - how's the wine harvest looking this year, should be soon, right?

Mike, crazy temperatures have make for a very late harvest this year, so hopefully we may start this weekend (no chemical analysis here, the guy in charge tastes the grapes every other day, and when he says "now!" we get moving.....and the day is getting close. Welcome if you want to do some work!

Juan
2016-09-14 3:32 AM
in reply to: adempsey10

User image

New user
Madrid
Congrat Alan and your race season and for the success of your new company, way to go! you should be very proud of your "·coachees"!

Juan
2016-09-14 6:58 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Fourteenkittens I need to replace my cleats, which has gotten me to wondering about other long lasting wear items. When do folks tend replace things like bike shoes, tires, or helmets? Mine are all finishing their sixth season and I wonder how many more I can eke out.

I've had my speedplay cleats for about 4 1/2 years now and still no problems.  Shoes are 5 1/2 years and almost 10K miles, helmet  the same.  My tires have about 5K of mixed trainer and road on them, though obviously the front will have a lot less as it doesn't do anything on the trainer except occasionally catch some sweat. 

2016-09-14 7:00 AM
in reply to: Juancho

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Juancho

Wow, everyone.  @ Juan - how's the wine harvest looking this year, should be soon, right?

Mike, crazy temperatures have make for a very late harvest this year, so hopefully we may start this weekend (no chemical analysis here, the guy in charge tastes the grapes every other day, and when he says "now!" we get moving.....and the day is getting close. Welcome if you want to do some work! Juan

I'd love to help out with a wine grape harvest sometime - you know they actually have vacations where you PAY to do that in Napa/Sonoma?  My wife's cousin's husband has a vineyard and winery in western Virginia; I've heard all about his harvests.

2016-09-14 7:41 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois

Originally posted by Fourteenkittens I need to replace my cleats, which has gotten me to wondering about other long lasting wear items. When do folks tend replace things like bike shoes, tires, or helmets? Mine are all finishing their sixth season and I wonder how many more I can eke out.

I've had my speedplay cleats for about 4 1/2 years now and still no problems.  Shoes are 5 1/2 years and almost 10K miles, helmet  the same.  My tires have about 5K of mixed trainer and road on them, though obviously the front will have a lot less as it doesn't do anything on the trainer except occasionally catch some sweat. 

I'm similar. I've had the same shoes and helmet since 2012. Purchased new tires this year after one season on this bike because I somehow got a slit in my front tire while it was on the trainer. Back tire looked pretty rough after winter on the trainer, so I replaced them both (twice, because I really didn't like the first set I bought). This sport is expensive enough, no need to replace things before they are worn out!

2016-09-14 7:44 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Back to master's swim this morning for the first workout since my Oly. We did a big set with fins, and now my groin muscle is acting up. It was a little twingy after the race, but feeling fine this morning before the swim. Off tomorrow to Boulder for work, with little hope of workouts in sight, so hopefully the trip will be double duty, work and rest at the same time.

No solid plans for next season yet. I'm still waiting to see how my research schedule shakes out. Would like to be in Egypt for about six of the next nine months, so that means a very heavy run schedule. I'm thinking about training for a HM in February, it is local and looks like a lot of fun. Run is my weakness, so it would force me to focus on that for a while.
2016-09-14 8:53 AM

User image

With 10-12k km per year of riding:

Cleats: Once/season (from wear. I use look keo cleats and they usually break the tips off near the end of the season)

Shoes: Once/season (from wear. My shoes take a beating from all the riding I do. Just like running shoes, cycling shoes start to 'give' after awhile. I find lots of sprinting, accelerating out of the saddle or climbing out of the saddle causes them to stretch and get floppy and loose.)

Tires: Oh boy. I go through a set of tires about once/month. Racing is not kind to tires.

Helmets: Once/year.

My wife who rides a lot less than me has been on the same pair of shoes for 3 years. She's changed tires once in that time and has had the same helmet in that time. She's replaced her cleats once. 

Point. It really depends on your riding style and how hard you are on stuff. I think helmets should be replaced every year regardless because they get banged around and its better safe than sorry. I also think shoes should be replaced more often than most probably do because uppers stretch and lose their shape and the soles fatigue and will start to flex more over time (particularly nylon and plastic soled shoes, carbon not so much) and that can result in unwanted knee pain and injuries. And shoes are always something that should feel fresh and new. Feet are important. As for tires, replace when needed but tread wear is not always the best indicator of a dead tire. Comparatively if we all went out and rode for 3 hours, some of us would put more miles on our tires than others, and those who put more miles would have more tread wear. But ultimately we all rode 3 hours so the tires are all aged the same from use (but not necessarily tread wear). So things like side wall strength, bead strength, etc, are deteriorating equally. And we're all prone to nicks and abrasions on tread and sidewall. 

Ultimately I think best practice is to replace stuff before it completely dies.

2016-09-14 12:23 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

OK, Alan.  You've convinced me I need some new stuff. 

I will say that for those of us who don't rotate out equipment pretty regularly (as in, we don't ride 12k kms/year), we get pretty attached and used to the feel of our stuff.  And we probably don't know the difference because the wear is so gradually, unless you have something a little more drastic with a tire like Gretchen did.

2016-09-14 12:28 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Today's training was an hour on the trainer at 530 AM with about 40' riding sweet spot, and a 2500 SCY lunch swim which was brutal.  I used one of the workouts on Sara McLarty's blog - I think that woman is trying to kill me. 

2016-09-15 8:38 AM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by adempsey10

With 10-12k km per year of riding:

Cleats: Once/season (from wear. I use look keo cleats and they usually break the tips off near the end of the season)

Shoes: Once/season (from wear. My shoes take a beating from all the riding I do. Just like running shoes, cycling shoes start to 'give' after awhile. I find lots of sprinting, accelerating out of the saddle or climbing out of the saddle causes them to stretch and get floppy and loose.)

Tires: Oh boy. I go through a set of tires about once/month. Racing is not kind to tires.

Helmets: Once/year.

My wife who rides a lot less than me has been on the same pair of shoes for 3 years. She's changed tires once in that time and has had the same helmet in that time. She's replaced her cleats once. 

Point. It really depends on your riding style and how hard you are on stuff. I think helmets should be replaced every year regardless because they get banged around and its better safe than sorry. I also think shoes should be replaced more often than most probably do because uppers stretch and lose their shape and the soles fatigue and will start to flex more over time (particularly nylon and plastic soled shoes, carbon not so much) and that can result in unwanted knee pain and injuries. And shoes are always something that should feel fresh and new. Feet are important. As for tires, replace when needed but tread wear is not always the best indicator of a dead tire. Comparatively if we all went out and rode for 3 hours, some of us would put more miles on our tires than others, and those who put more miles would have more tread wear. But ultimately we all rode 3 hours so the tires are all aged the same from use (but not necessarily tread wear). So things like side wall strength, bead strength, etc, are deteriorating equally. And we're all prone to nicks and abrasions on tread and sidewall. 

Ultimately I think best practice is to replace stuff before it completely dies.

Alan - you are the man. The next time we are together, I'm buying the beer to thank you for the all the amazing knowledge you pass onto the group. Thanks so much for this list. I'm going to show it to my wife and then head off to the bike store and buy some new stuff. "COme on honey - Alan says I need it!"

2016-09-15 8:40 AM

User image

Expert

Today's training was an hour on the trainer at 530 AM with about 40' riding sweet spot, and a 2500 SCY lunch swim which was brutal.  I used one of the workouts on Sara McLarty's blog - I think that woman is trying to kill me. 

SArah McLarty? WHo is she?

Way to crush that workout and getting up early in the morning to do it!

DQ
2016-09-15 9:04 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

@ Nicole - You should have just done the 1-mile loops in the park LOL.  Hurting from the night before - ah to be young again!!!

I think I am doing that on Sunday, haha! Not really looking forward to it, but I need to get on my bike! Gonna do that Sunday, then go do the course on Tuesday evening, so that will be two rides before the tri...oh well.
2016-09-15 9:04 AM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by drfoodlove

Back to master's swim this morning for the first workout since my Oly. We did a big set with fins, and now my groin muscle is acting up. It was a little twingy after the race, but feeling fine this morning before the swim. Off tomorrow to Boulder for work, with little hope of workouts in sight, so hopefully the trip will be double duty, work and rest at the same time.

No solid plans for next season yet. I'm still waiting to see how my research schedule shakes out. Would like to be in Egypt for about six of the next nine months, so that means a very heavy run schedule. I'm thinking about training for a HM in February, it is local and looks like a lot of fun. Run is my weakness, so it would force me to focus on that for a while.

Feel better soon. IS the HM in Egypt - if so, how cool is that! Running past the pyramids would be a bucket list item for me.
2016-09-15 9:06 AM
in reply to: Juancho

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by Juancho

Mike, crazy temperatures have make for a very late harvest this year, so hopefully we may start this weekend (no chemical analysis here, the guy in charge tastes the grapes every other day, and when he says "now!" we get moving.....and the day is getting close. Welcome if you want to do some work!

Juan

That is really cool!
2016-09-15 9:13 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Had a really solid run yesterday. I wanted to do a little speed work while also getting in at least a few miles, so I ran 4 miles doing 5 min run, 1 min fast run (I would say sprint but that would be a stretch), and 1 min walk. Ran 8:49 pace and felt really good, especially the last mile, which I just ran the whole way through.

Woke up early and played some volleyball so I am going to head to the pool this afternoon and get in a speed workout. My pool closes on Sunday for at least a year so soon it will be more of a challenge to get a swim in!

2016-09-15 9:14 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Expert
WOrk and family caused me to miss a workout yesterday. GRRR. I need to get back into the habit of getting up in the dark to make it happen so I don't miss it when life gets crazy. I am continuing to eat well and this needs to be my focus this week. Right now I'm weighing in at 246 and I eventually want to get back down to 180. Baby steps.

I need to sign up for a Turkey Day Race - Dennie and John - there's a pretty good one in my town. ANy interest? http://www.usa.run/Race/View.aspx?RaceID=22213
2016-09-15 10:20 AM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Qua17

SArah McLarty? WHo is she? Way to crush that workout and getting up early in the morning to do it! DQ

She's a former pro triathlete and now a full-time Masters and tri coach in Central Florida.  Her archived blog is here:

http://mastersswimworkoutsbysaramclarty.blogspot.com/

There are hundreds of swim workouts there - she's pretty focused on triathletes, too, so only the "A" workout sets will focus on non-free work.

This winter, I want to learn how to do fly, and a proper (as in not just survival) breaststroke to accompany my crappy backstroke. 

2016-09-15 10:46 AM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by nicole14e

Had a really solid run yesterday. I wanted to do a little speed work while also getting in at least a few miles, so I ran 4 miles doing 5 min run, 1 min fast run (I would say sprint but that would be a stretch), and 1 min walk. Ran 8:49 pace and felt really good, especially the last mile, which I just ran the whole way through.

Woke up early and played some volleyball so I am going to head to the pool this afternoon and get in a speed workout. My pool closes on Sunday for at least a year so soon it will be more of a challenge to get a swim in!

NIcole - That totally sucks that your pool is closing down fora full year. What will you do to get your swims in?

NIce job on the run. I would kill for your speed!
2016-09-15 11:57 AM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by Qua17

Originally posted by nicole14e

NIcole - That totally sucks that your pool is closing down fora full year. What will you do to get your swims in?

NIce job on the run. I would kill for your speed!

There are other clubs part of my gym (Merritt Athletic Clubs) that have pools. There is one that is in Towson, so a bit north and definitely more than a mile away from my house Mike is having the same issue, as we go to the same gym. I will just have to plan better. And will likely only be able to teach swim lessons on the weekends. There is another club in the city with a pool that's closer, but I hear it's really crappy.
2016-09-15 12:00 PM
in reply to: #5198724

User image

Wakefield, Massachusetts
Day 2 at the new job, and I just discovered they provide a gym subsidy in their benefits package. It would cost me $25, is two blocks away, and another block to a MUP along the river - so that's an easy decision should my schedule prove flexible enough.

(IMG_0384.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
IMG_0384.JPG (711KB - 4 downloads)

2016-09-15 12:03 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Fourteenkittens Day 2 at the new job, and I just discovered they provide a gym subsidy in their benefits package. It would cost me $25, is two blocks away, and another block to a MUP along the river - so that's an easy decision should my schedule prove flexible enough.

That's awesome - the proximity is a big factor in the "lunch hour" workouts.  If you can get there or back in under 5 minutes, it makes a big difference vs. 10-15 each way.

2016-09-15 12:05 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by nicole14e There is another club in the city with a pool that's closer, but I hear it's really crappy.

It is.  Only 20 yards long and the chlorine is overwhelming. 

2016-09-16 9:43 AM
in reply to: #5198918

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Up this morning for a swim in a Colorado mountain spring-fed lake. Holy heck was that COLD!! I didn't last long. After my dip I took a long walk to get back to the house I'm staying at, so I'm gonna call today good and hope my toes turn back to their normal color soon.
2016-09-16 10:38 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by drfoodlove

Up this morning for a swim in a Colorado mountain spring-fed lake. Holy heck was that COLD!! I didn't last long. After my dip I took a long walk to get back to the house I'm staying at, so I'm gonna call today good and hope my toes turn back to their normal color soon.

I bet that woke you up pretty well!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS) - Open Rss Feed  

of 118

RELATED POSTS

1st timers & itching for the podium group - TZCoaching - OPEN Pages: 1 2

Started by tzcoaching
Views: 6394 Posts: 31

2017-01-10 8:31 PM TonyMax

Jim Kelley's (aka Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 17576 Posts: 191

2016-08-16 2:40 AM bfaridnia

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.