BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS) - Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 118

2016-07-27 8:31 AM
in reply to: MOlsen

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS) - Open
Originally posted by MOlsen

My first (of only two) triathlon for this year is in the books! Despite not doing much swimming (just 1-2 times a week) and almost no long bike rides I managed to come in almost 5 minutes faster than last year! Here is theĀ race report. As always, I celebrated with a Racer 5 IPA when I was done... who says 9:30 am is too early to have a beer? Not if you've already finished a race!

5 minute improvement - that's outstanding! And no - 9:30 is never to early to enjoy a tasty cold beverage when you've kicked some serious butt!

Congrats and KUDOS!

2016-07-27 8:43 AM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Expert
Yesterday, I went for a bike ride with the sole goal of working on my cadence. I picked out the flattest 10 mile course I could and was surprised that I could keep my strokes per minute above 85. I was stoked but the problem was that my heart rate jumped from its usual pace (110-125) on the bike to 137 average. I was in the 3rd and 4th gear (which makes me feel a bit wimpy) so I wasn't really pushing it but I don't think I could keep it up for 112 at this point.

My guess is that the increased exertion to get my reps up to 85+ was the cause for my high heart rate. My question is - will this even out once my body gets used to pedelling so fast or is this something that will be taken care of my increased training?

Any suggestions on what I can be doing better?
2016-07-27 9:01 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by Qua17

Originally posted by MOlsen

My first (of only two) triathlon for this year is in the books! Despite not doing much swimming (just 1-2 times a week) and almost no long bike rides I managed to come in almost 5 minutes faster than last year! Here is theĀ race report. As always, I celebrated with a Racer 5 IPA when I was done... who says 9:30 am is too early to have a beer? Not if you've already finished a race!

5 minute improvement - that's outstanding! And no - 9:30 is never to early to enjoy a tasty cold beverage when you've kicked some serious butt!

Congrats and KUDOS!

Wait! I missed the part about beer at 9:30!! No matter what time it is, if it is post-race, it is beer o'clock!
2016-07-27 9:33 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

I think you should continue the course. Your body should adjust as you get used to the increased cadence. It will become second nature after awhile.

Originally posted by Qua17 Yesterday, I went for a bike ride with the sole goal of working on my cadence. I picked out the flattest 10 mile course I could and was surprised that I could keep my strokes per minute above 85. I was stoked but the problem was that my heart rate jumped from its usual pace (110-125) on the bike to 137 average. I was in the 3rd and 4th gear (which makes me feel a bit wimpy) so I wasn't really pushing it but I don't think I could keep it up for 112 at this point. My guess is that the increased exertion to get my reps up to 85+ was the cause for my high heart rate. My question is - will this even out once my body gets used to pedelling so fast or is this something that will be taken care of my increased training? Any suggestions on what I can be doing better?

2016-07-27 11:15 AM
in reply to: #5158366

User image

, Vermont
^^^^ I agree with Thor
2016-07-27 11:22 AM
in reply to: #5192852

User image

, Vermont
So I went in for a physical today (my first in 6 years) and requested a blood panel of the usual stuff and proteins, iron, magnesium, thyroid, liver, etc
Most of the info I got back today but have to wait on thyroid, iron, and magnesium.
Looking good on everything so far (bad cholesterol is so low it hardly registers) except I'm a bit low on protein. More protein...
So I will again revisit what I'm eating and be cognizant of protein intake at each intake as your body uses it more efficiently if you eat smaller doses throughout the day rather than throwing a 16oz prime rib at it all at once (not that there's anything wrong with that...along with a nice glass of Glenlivet...and a vat of horseradish..)
Interesting to see the results and I definitely look forward to seeing the iron and magnesium in particular. (I was mildly anemic in high school).

2016-07-27 12:13 PM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

Expert
Originally posted by aviatrix802

So I went in for a physical today (my first in 6 years) and requested a blood panel of the usual stuff and proteins, iron, magnesium, thyroid, liver, etc
Most of the info I got back today but have to wait on thyroid, iron, and magnesium.
Looking good on everything so far (bad cholesterol is so low it hardly registers) except I'm a bit low on protein. More protein...
So I will again revisit what I'm eating and be cognizant of protein intake at each intake as your body uses it more efficiently if you eat smaller doses throughout the day rather than throwing a 16oz prime rib at it all at once (not that there's anything wrong with that...along with a nice glass of Glenlivet...and a vat of horseradish..)
Interesting to see the results and I definitely look forward to seeing the iron and magnesium in particular. (I was mildly anemic in high school).

Mmm.. 16 oz of Prime Rib.... that would be a tasty treat. And if you need to do it to be healthy - so be it I'm with you on the horseradish - but I'd rather wash it down with a tasty lager or a nice porter.

One way to get a little more protein is to include a protein bar on one of your rides. I love Clif Builder Protein Bars which pack 20 g's of protein into something that tastes like a girl scout thin mint. I also finish up every workout with 12 oz of choc milk which adds another 15 grams of protein. I also have started to eat cottage cheese - a cup is 25 whopping grams of muscle magic and don't forget to add Greek Yogurt to your morning smoothy - 1 cup is 20 grams. Those four additions = 80 grams of protein.
2016-07-27 12:20 PM

User image

Expert
This morning - I broke open the piggy bank and treated myself to a fairly painful massage of my calves with the hopes of getting back to running. They've been hurting for almost a month now and I haven't managed anything more than a limping run every couple of minutes. The woman I got up here did a pretty good job despite not having any graston instruments and I really felt sore when I walked out of there.

I plan on having an epson bath to ease the soreness and then tonight "enjoying" an ice bath with the hopes of getting back into the swing of running next week. I will continue to roll and ice like it's my job but I'm just praying that I can get back into gear. There are times when i hate my body and my body hates me.
2016-07-27 2:47 PM

User image

Expert
More from me - sorry for all the posts...

Hey Folks:

As I mentioned in a recent post, I have gained a ton of weight due to a variety of life issues that have seriously stressed me out. I had been riding in

- Assos Daily Worker size Large. The mileage I've been doing to train for IMNC had led to a lot of soreness and even bleeding. I'ts been brutal...

So, I did some research and took your suggestions and bought a pair of Desoto Mobius size Extra large. I bought them from Amazon (for a decent price) and they are better. I went out for a six mile ride - for the first three I wore the small Assos with no Chamois cream. I experienced pain of 3-4 on a scale of 1-10 and there was so bleeding even after only 3 MILES (so you can see why 40 mile rides were getting me all bummed out). So I put on the Desotos and they were better but still not great. I need the padding to be wider. While I think I can get by with these and frequent reapplications of cream - I'm hoping someone somewhere had a size XXL that I could buy on the cheap. I posted to the BT classifieds but am looking for other options.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

DQ
2016-07-27 3:12 PM
in reply to: #5192854

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Dave--have you tried Aerotech? I have always worn their Tri shorts and they work great. I've worn them up to 65mi with no trouble from most pairs (I did get a bad pair once that had a ragged seam I didn't notice--I figured it out real quick!). I wear the women's version of their "classic padded triathlon shorts". I can't speak to the men's version. Their sizing goes up to xxxl. They are pretty cheap too, running $40-50.

Alternately, tri*fe (women's specific Tri gear) has a "men's" cut Tri short that sizes up to 4xl. I've not worn them, but have heard good things from others. These aren't as cheap, run about $80-90.
2016-07-27 7:15 PM

User image

, Vermont

Mmm.. 16 oz of Prime Rib.... that would be a tasty treat. And if you need to do it to be healthy - so be it I'm with you on the horseradish - but I'd rather wash it down with a tasty lager or a nice porter.

One way to get a little more protein is to include a protein bar on one of your rides. I love Clif Builder Protein Bars which pack 20 g's of protein into something that tastes like a girl scout thin mint. I also finish up every workout with 12 oz of choc milk which adds another 15 grams of protein. I also have started to eat cottage cheese - a cup is 25 whopping grams of muscle magic and don't forget to add Greek Yogurt to your morning smoothy - 1 cup is 20 grams. Those four additions = 80 grams of protein.

Yes! I do all of this already - Greek yogurt for breakfast, 2 eggs a day, grilled meat of some kind at dinner, sometimes cottage cheese (soooo good on a slice of tomato with salt and pepper....) and protein powder - one kind for right after a hard workout and I have an overnight, slow release one as well. I'm going to focus on making sure I get it throughout the day to spread the protein love. Oh, peanut butter on toast with banana slices....soooo good. That is candy to me. Kind bars are pretty tasty too.
I am just on the lowest end of the protein scale so will increase my quantities a little I think. Darn it, I'd better start sporting some muscles! hahaha

2016-07-27 7:22 PM

User image

, Vermont

This morning - I broke open the piggy bank and treated myself to a fairly painful massage of my calves with the hopes of getting back to running. They've been hurting for almost a month now and I haven't managed anything more than a limping run every couple of minutes. The woman I got up here did a pretty good job despite not having any graston instruments and I really felt sore when I walked out of there.

I plan on having an epson bath to ease the soreness and then tonight "enjoying" an ice bath with the hopes of getting back into the swing of running next week. I will continue to roll and ice like it's my job but I'm just praying that I can get back into gear. There are times when i hate my body and my body hates me.

Don't hate it too much! That body got you through an Ironman!! It is a temple! Good job on taking care of it though! Massages are sooooo good for you. Back when I worked obscene quantities I would go for a massage every 3 months or so. I always told my husband that if people could get monthly massages there would be less stress and illness. ...Now I work part time and hope for the occasional gift card.
Epsom salt baths are good too. You will get there, Dave, let it heal back to 100% so you can work out or you could risk continuously re-injuring it. Did you finally get to a doctor or PT for it? If so, what was their prognosis? Where exactly is it on your leg? I thought mine was Achilles but it could be posterior tibialis.
2016-07-27 7:25 PM
in reply to: adempsey10

User image

, Vermont
Originally posted by adempsey10

Originally posted by aviatrix802.

It's in the Gaspesie area of Quebec so way up at the top of New Brunswick.Ā 

Ah yes, that's where my hubby and son just came back from - they were way out on the peninsula fishing the Grand Cascapedia and Petit Cascapedia.
2016-07-27 7:39 PM
in reply to: adempsey10

User image

, Vermont
Originally posted by adempsey10

Originally posted by aviatrix802 oh, while you're here, Alan...I just got Powertap P1 pedals... Trainer Road? Yes? I was told get it and immediately do the 20 minute test to get set up.

Yes. definitely trainer road. The 20 minute test is a beast. Find a time when you're good and rested and feeling strong then do it. Mark sure you do it in an area with conditions that will be easily replicated each time you do the test.Ā 

Okay, in peak weeks right now but can't really use Trainer Road until I do the 20 min test... So because I can't run right now...i only did a 45 minute Z2 ride this morning and swam yesterday and it wasn't even the full 3500 yards due to time. Tomorrow, supposed to do hill repeats which would have to be done on the trainer anyway due to hubby traveling so I'm thinking that this is about as rested as I'm going to be...so....how false will this reading be? I did have Monday off as a rest day. I think it's the best I can do for now.
I think I'll get up in the morning and do it then. I guess I'll have a large wastebasket next to the bike for when I'm done? Kind of making me nervous..
2016-07-27 7:48 PM

User image

Expert

Don't hate it too much! That body got you through an Ironman!! It is a temple! Good job on taking care of it though! Massages are sooooo good for you. Back when I worked obscene quantities I would go for a massage every 3 months or so. I always told my husband that if people could get monthly massages there would be less stress and illness. ...Now I work part time and hope for the occasional gift card.
Epsom salt baths are good too. You will get there, Dave, let it heal back to 100% so you can work out or you could risk continuously re-injuring it. Did you finally get to a doctor or PT for it? If so, what was their prognosis? Where exactly is it on your leg? I thought mine was Achilles but it could be posterior tibialis.

I took my first epson bath tonight on the suggestion on the massage therapist. I've always been a huge (HUGE) fan of the ice bath. Which is better - Ice bath or epson bath? How exactly does the epson bath work? I looked it up and there was some sites claiming that Epson baths don't work. What do they do for you?

As for where my issue is - RIGHT LEG - Soleus. I guess I need to roll more but since it's behind the major muscle - it's hard to get to with the roller.

Ahh, the journey continues! Thanks everyone for the support!
2016-07-28 7:24 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Nice, easy master's swim this morning. I spent my time concentrating on swimming strong, as I plan to do in the race, but not fast (as I hope to do in the race). Only did 1350yds, but it was good. Feeling really rested and ready to go this morning. Ha! Now I only have to wait two more days for the race!! Packing this afternoon.

2016-07-28 9:37 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Expert
Originally posted by drfoodlove

Nice, easy master's swim this morning. I spent my time concentrating on swimming strong, as I plan to do in the race, but not fast (as I hope to do in the race). Only did 1350yds, but it was good. Feeling really rested and ready to go this morning. Ha! Now I only have to wait two more days for the race!! Packing this afternoon.

Two things -

First - you are going to crush that race.

Second - as you pack you stuff - consider doing this: lay it your equipment out on your dining room table and take a picture of it. Then, post it to facebook. I did that for my IM and people were blown awy by all the gear. It's also a cool pic to have for yourself to show just how much goes into doing a Half Iron Man!

What's the name of your race and is there any way to track you?
2016-07-28 9:53 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois

Two things -

First - you are going to crush that race.

Second - as you pack you stuff - consider doing this: lay it your equipment out on your dining room table and take a picture of it. Then, post it to facebook. I did that for my IM and people were blown awy by all the gear. It's also a cool pic to have for yourself to show just how much goes into doing a Half Iron Man!

What's the name of your race and is there any way to track you?

Thanks!!

I am doing the Route 66 HIM in Springfield, IL. About 15 miles of the bike course is on Old Route 66!

We don't actually have a dining room table...or a dining room, for that matter! I always lay out my gear on the ottoman in our living room. I will consider taking a shot of it before I pack up. Of course, have to get the dog to stop laying on my kit first! Right after I lay out my "flat-me", she always lays down on top of it. I think she is trying to tell me good luck! It does amaze me how much stuff goes into one day of racing. For example, three pairs of socks (one for bike, one for run, one to carry on run in case blisters get too bad). Who needs three pairs of socks in one day?!?! Triathletes.
2016-07-28 11:22 AM
in reply to: #5192895

User image

, Vermont
Question on the FTP test - will you get different results between a tri bike and road bike due to different muscle groups? Or is it negligible?
2016-07-28 11:28 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Here's my new mantra for the week:

SUFFER THE PAIN OF DISCIPLINE OR SUFFER THE PAIN OF REGRET.

Edited by Qua17 2016-07-28 11:36 AM
2016-07-28 11:33 AM

User image

Expert
Question of the day - What's your favorite motivational quote or mantra?

2016-07-28 11:36 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois

Right now I'm using "She thoughts she could, so she did." I don't know where it came from, certainly wasn't me.
2016-07-28 11:40 AM
in reply to: #5158366

User image

, Vermont
Other than, Shut Up, Legs!; when I get to a steep hill, about halfway up or wherever I'm feeling spent I start saying "walking the dog, just walking the dog." I have no idea where it came from - just said one day on a hill and it stuck. I found it makes me focus on pedaling circles going up a hill instead of just mashing down with my quads. ...walkin' the dog...
2016-07-28 11:44 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert

Right now I'm using "She thoughts she could, so she did." I don't know where it came from, certainly wasn't me.

Nice quote - here's your author

http://www.goodreads.com/quotes/1284408-she-believed-she-could-so-s...

This might be a little present for yourself after you crush your race:
http://www.mantraband.com/products/she-believed-she-could-so-she-di...

Edited by Qua17 2016-07-28 11:45 AM
2016-07-28 11:53 AM

User image

Expert

Other than, Shut Up, Legs!; when I get to a steep hill, about halfway up or wherever I'm feeling spent I start saying "walking the dog, just walking the dog." I have no idea where it came from - just said one day on a hill and it stuck. I found it makes me focus on pedaling circles going up a hill instead of just mashing down with my quads. ...walkin' the dog...

Jenn - if only those leggs would shut up!

I dedicate hills to people before I got up them.... Up here in Michigan - I've name about 10 after family members and people that are important to me. For example - the highest hill in the country is named Heidi after my beautiful and selfless wife who supports me in everything. I've named small hills after my kids. The hardest hill is named after my trainer - as in "$@*&!# you, Mike. When I come upon a hill I haven't named I say a prayer for someone. For example - today on my ride I might do a hill in your guy's/gal's honor. As in - this one is for all the supportive people in the BDAS. Then I just keep saying it as I head up it - This is for the BDAS - This is for the BDAS.... God be with them.

What ever it takes to get to the top.

For those of you that are wondering why I haven't left on my ride yet - I'm waiting for my wife to come home with some immodium. TMI?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS) - Open Rss Feed  

of 118

RELATED POSTS

1st timers & itching for the podium group - TZCoaching - OPEN Pages: 1 2

Started by tzcoaching
Views: 6400 Posts: 31

2017-01-10 8:31 PM TonyMax

Jim Kelley's (aka Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 17608 Posts: 191

2016-08-16 2:40 AM bfaridnia

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.