BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS) - Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 118

2016-07-30 11:28 AM
in reply to: #5193293

User image

, Vermont
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS) - Open
Dave, just be sure that on your "rests" you're still in high cadence - just a lower gear so it's easier. Get the muscle memory going.

2016-07-30 1:11 PM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

Alright. So I finished my first and only Tri for the year. Times are not what I wanted but the result was good so I'm not going to complain. 

500m - 8:55 (Not bad considering)

20km Bike - 32:14 (38.1kph - a little slower than I wanted but I foolishly went into the Park yesterday, where all the hills are in my area, and dished out some watt bombs for 2 hours sprinting up hills and trying to get some Strava PBs). 

5km Run - 20-21min (estimated. I didn't have a way to track my run, my wife had the Garmin and my official time included my transition zone time). 

6th overall, 1st in age group, fastest bike split overall. Not bad for having spent all of 20min and 13min training for the swim (one short OWS in June)  and run (two 1mile runs) respectively in all of 2016. 

Here's a pic. I thought you all might appreciate the cap... 

(13876358_10153754292002113_1255018696945945285_n.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
13876358_10153754292002113_1255018696945945285_n.jpg (123KB - 2 downloads)
2016-07-30 6:59 PM
in reply to: #5193297

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Hi all. Finished my HIM. It was ok until the run. 8:18:04 overall. Third place Athena. Long story short (and I promise you the long story soon), they said there would be gels, HEED, and bananas at every bike aid station. There wasn't. No gels or bananas to be found. HEED only at one station--20 miles. I had planned to take two gels at each station to supplement what I had (poor planning on my part, I forgot to get more) so I could have a gel every 20 min. Well, needless to say, that didn't happen. I managed to get by with one gel every 30 min plus a bottle of Powerade I started with. The run was ugly. I walked most of it, including the back half (except the finishers chute!). More later. Thanks for all your support!!
2016-07-31 1:59 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Expert
Originally posted by drfoodlove

Hi all. Finished my HIM. It was ok until the run. 8:18:04 overall. Third place Athena. Long story short (and I promise you the long story soon), they said there would be gels, HEED, and bananas at every bike aid station. There wasn't. No gels or bananas to be found. HEED only at one station--20 miles. I had planned to take two gels at each station to supplement what I had (poor planning on my part, I forgot to get more) so I could have a gel every 20 min. Well, needless to say, that didn't happen. I managed to get by with one gel every 30 min plus a bottle of Powerade I started with. The run was ugly. I walked most of it, including the back half (except the finishers chute!). More later. Thanks for all your support!!

Yea! Had to check before headsing out on a ride for a little inspiration! Thanks for it!!!!

I'm really sorry about the poor planning on the part of the so called planners = sounds like their mistakes and short comings made for a pretty tough day. But you did it and you should be proud!

More later. Can't wait to read your race report! I'm off to bike 35. I'm hating my bike right now.

2016-08-01 7:58 AM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Expert
Goals of the week time

DQ - Figure out what to do about IMNC, Lose 2 lbs, keep working on the right calf
2016-08-01 8:04 AM
in reply to: adempsey10

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by adempsey10

Alright. So I finished my first and only Tri for the year. Times are not what I wanted but the result was good so I'm not going to complain. 

20km Bike - 32:14 (38.1kph - a little slower than I wanted but I foolishly went into the Park yesterday, where all the hills are in my area, and dished out some watt bombs for 2 hours sprinting up hills and trying to get some Strava PBs). 

5km Run - 20-21min (estimated. I didn't have a way to track my run, my wife had the Garmin and my official time included my transition zone time). 

6th overall, 1st in age group, fastest bike split overall. Not bad for having spent all of 20min and 13min training for the swim (one short OWS in June)  and run (two 1mile runs) respectively in all of 2016. 

Awesome race, Alan.  I like your taper strategy: watt-bombs LOL.  That's a quick swim time regardless of how much you've trained.

2016-08-01 8:05 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by drfoodlove Hi all. Finished my HIM. It was ok until the run. 8:18:04 overall. Third place Athena. Long story short (and I promise you the long story soon), they said there would be gels, HEED, and bananas at every bike aid station. There wasn't. No gels or bananas to be found. HEED only at one station--20 miles. I had planned to take two gels at each station to supplement what I had (poor planning on my part, I forgot to get more) so I could have a gel every 20 min. Well, needless to say, that didn't happen. I managed to get by with one gel every 30 min plus a bottle of Powerade I started with. The run was ugly. I walked most of it, including the back half (except the finishers chute!). More later. Thanks for all your support!!

Wow, that's sucks on the nutrition piece, but awesome job Gretchen.  The Terminator rules!!! 

Can't wait for the "long story" RR.

2016-08-01 8:07 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Awesome race, Alan.  I like your taper strategy: watt-bombs LOL.  That's a quick swim time regardless of how much you've trained.

Oh, and to me Alan's experience reflects my mantra - it's ALL about the bike in triathlon.  Assuming you can MOP swim (like Alan), hammer the bike with room to spare, and then perform a solid run (though 21-flat even is pretty impressive...), you'll do well in most races.

2016-08-01 8:13 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Got in my first outdoor ride this year (yeah - I know...).  About 26 miles of rolling terrain in Eastern Baltimore County, including where The Baltimore Triathlon is held in Gunpowder state park.  There were like a gazillion cyclists out yesterday morning.  I chatted with another guy for a few miles and he gave me the scoop on the local area, and then another guy asked me for some advice on road bike buying.  Friendly bunch which was cool.

Oh, and I randomly set a 30" PR on Trainer Road Saturday morning.  If there's a tri with a bike sprint finish, I am SO ready!

Injury-wise, my back is improving but I think I'm a ways from running again.  I might try a little sand jogging when we go to Costa Rica later this week.  Looking forward to getting some OWS in - hopefully I can avoid the crocodiles!! 

2016-08-01 8:44 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Expert
Need some advice/prospective. On my phone I have a manta meant to motivate me to keep going and complete the training so I can do IMNC: Suffer the pain of discipline or suffer the pain of regret. For the past month - this manta has gotten me on the bike and kept me going when I've wanted to quit. It's buoyed my spirits despite my calf injury that makes it hard to run more than two miles.

BUT heres the thing - I'm not having fun any more. I'm starting to rue the workouts and it takes a ton of mental energy not to give up in order to finish. With no job and my career seemingly at an end thanks to the efforts of some mean spirited and spiteful people, I spend my bike rides bashing myself and others and it's not a joyful experience. I'm giving serious consideration to withdrawing from IMNC and just working on myself in smaller ways.

Anyone here ever backed out of a race for the right reasons and what were your motivations? How did you cope with the pain and disappointment of falling short of your goal?

If you're the praying type - I could use some good prayers and if you not - I would love it if you could send some good mojo my way.

I apologize for the personal nature of this message - just struggling with what to do that's in MY best interest.

2016-08-01 9:02 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by aviatrix802 Dave, just be sure that on your "rests" you're still in high cadence - just a lower gear so it's easier. Get the muscle memory going.

Another option to try is a spin class - I get up to 130 RPM in there.  It's a totally different animal because of the weighted flywheel (which continues to spin your legs even after you stop putting effort towards it), but it helps with the mental timing.  I know there's a cost to the gym membership but the Y is usually pretty cheap if that's an option.

Another thing you could try are shorter, high-spin intervals.  Get up to your cruising speed, go down one gear, and then spin FAST to accelerate a little bit.  Start with like 10-15 seconds at a time.  Your HR will probably jump a little, but that's what we're looking for.

2016-08-01 11:33 AM
in reply to: adempsey10

User image

Carbondale, Illinois

Great Job Alan!! Love the hat!!!
2016-08-01 11:34 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Finally got to a real computer to type up my race report. Here's the link if anyone is interested (http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=542834).

Race results show I actually was second (out of two) in Athena <40.

Edited by drfoodlove 2016-08-01 11:35 AM
2016-08-01 11:52 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by Qua17

Need some advice/prospective. On my phone I have a manta meant to motivate me to keep going and complete the training so I can do IMNC: Suffer the pain of discipline or suffer the pain of regret. For the past month - this manta has gotten me on the bike and kept me going when I've wanted to quit. It's buoyed my spirits despite my calf injury that makes it hard to run more than two miles.

BUT heres the thing - I'm not having fun any more. I'm starting to rue the workouts and it takes a ton of mental energy not to give up in order to finish. With no job and my career seemingly at an end thanks to the efforts of some mean spirited and spiteful people, I spend my bike rides bashing myself and others and it's not a joyful experience. I'm giving serious consideration to withdrawing from IMNC and just working on myself in smaller ways.

Anyone here ever backed out of a race for the right reasons and what were your motivations? How did you cope with the pain and disappointment of falling short of your goal?

If you're the praying type - I could use some good prayers and if you not - I would love it if you could send some good mojo my way.

I apologize for the personal nature of this message - just struggling with what to do that's in MY best interest.

Dave! I'm sorry you are going through all this difficult stuff at once. It is really a bummer. Your mantras are all negative thoughts...suffer, pain, regret. Try turning them positive, even if it is just some small way. Celebrate the victories that you have. Set really, really low goals and then celebrate them like you just won Kona. This will get you into a positive mindset and then you can gradually set more difficult goals and achieve them.

I know you might not want to hear this, but have you considered changing to the Aquabike for NC? OR, probably more realistically doing the swim and bike and then handing in your chip (assuming they don't have an aquabike option)? Right now it really seems like running is out for you, or at least running the types of distances you need to be doing to prepare for a full marathon after a 112 bike after a 2.4mi swim. The last thing you want to do is hurt yourself permanently.

I'll be sending you positive vibes.
2016-08-01 11:54 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Qua17 Need some advice/prospective. On my phone I have a manta meant to motivate me to keep going and complete the training so I can do IMNC: Suffer the pain of discipline or suffer the pain of regret. For the past month - this manta has gotten me on the bike and kept me going when I've wanted to quit. It's buoyed my spirits despite my calf injury that makes it hard to run more than two miles. BUT heres the thing - I'm not having fun any more. I'm starting to rue the workouts and it takes a ton of mental energy not to give up in order to finish. With no job and my career seemingly at an end thanks to the efforts of some mean spirited and spiteful people, I spend my bike rides bashing myself and others and it's not a joyful experience. I'm giving serious consideration to withdrawing from IMNC and just working on myself in smaller ways. Anyone here ever backed out of a race for the right reasons and what were your motivations? How did you cope with the pain and disappointment of falling short of your goal? If you're the praying type - I could use some good prayers and if you not - I would love it if you could send some good mojo my way. I apologize for the personal nature of this message - just struggling with what to do that's in MY best interest.

As someone who has only been healthy enough, long enough, to race triathlons in 3 of the past 6 seasons (and the jury's still out on this one...), I know first-hand what you're going through.  The two things I've done to adjust are to 1) do what I can, and do it the best I can (like last season I focused solely on the 40k TT), and 2) mange my expectations (like unless I walk the entire marathon, ain't no way in hell I'm doing an IM).

The first bolded point is the crux of the matter here - if this sucks, and there's no joy in the journey at all, I would focus (like you said) on trying to accomplish smaller goals and build from there.  That's not quitting, by the way, it's managing expectations and creating a positive environment to work (and live) from.  Your shoulder is bothering you so you've had limited swimming, you hate your bike, and you can't run more than two miles - I don't see this as a really good recipe for success in even getting to the starting line, much less finishing, an IM.  

On the second bolded statement, my "experiment of one experience" suggestion to you is this:  focus on getting healthy, both physically and mentally.  Dial back but stay consistent on the training where you can, focusing on the things that will get you back to a position where you can handle the rigors of intense or long training.  Get in the pool often, get on the bike often and nail down that fit and cadence, do some strength flexibility work, try yoga, find a place to hike, drop weight reasonably and consistently.  Do stuff that makes you feel better, not stuff you NEED to do to complete a race.  There will be a time and place for that.

I know there's a financial loss in the entry fee to consider but I think IM does deferments or transfers or something - maybe you can move something to earlier next year and do a more local HIM or something.  I've lost close to $1K in race fees I've never started.  And you won't incur the travel costs this year, unless of course you've pre-paid those, and if you've done that - maybe get a little R&R and volunteer or something.

Normally I would say, "suck it up buttercup", but I think you've already tried that and it's not working for you.

So, lots of healing, positive vibes, and prayers your way as you make this decision.  Remember, you're already an Ironman.

2016-08-01 6:15 PM

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

Originally posted by drfoodlove

Finally got to a real computer to type up my race report. Here's the link if anyone is interested (http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=542834). Race results show I actually was second (out of two) in Athena <40.

Congratulations on your race! Even a tough finish is finish, especially at that distance!

2016-08-01 8:29 PM

User image

Originally posted by Qua17 Need some advice/prospective. On my phone I have a manta meant to motivate me to keep going and complete the training so I can do IMNC: Suffer the pain of discipline or suffer the pain of regret. For the past month - this manta has gotten me on the bike and kept me going when I've wanted to quit. It's buoyed my spirits despite my calf injury that makes it hard to run more than two miles. BUT heres the thing - I'm not having fun any more. I'm starting to rue the workouts and it takes a ton of mental energy not to give up in order to finish. With no job and my career seemingly at an end thanks to the efforts of some mean spirited and spiteful people, I spend my bike rides bashing myself and others and it's not a joyful experience. I'm giving serious consideration to withdrawing from IMNC and just working on myself in smaller ways. Anyone here ever backed out of a race for the right reasons and what were your motivations? How did you cope with the pain and disappointment of falling short of your goal? If you're the praying type - I could use some good prayers and if you not - I would love it if you could send some good mojo my way. I apologize for the personal nature of this message - just struggling with what to do that's in MY best interest.

I'm not sure what your training load has been like recently but lack of motivation, loss of enjoyment, changes in mood, etc, are all symptoms of overtraining. You're a guy who sets very rigid goals in terms of speed and performance for events so I wonder if maybe self-induced stress and/or anxiety over your training in conjunction with a heavy training load might be affecting you. Overtraining isn't just about physical ailments, it can and often does manifest psychologically. I recommend taking a week away from structured training to give yourself a chance to recharge. Ride your bike if you want to but don't do training rides. Just ride casually (ride in regular clothes to remind yourself that you're not on a training ride) and just enjoy riding your bike for the sake of riding your bike. (or run, whatever activity you have a greater affinity with). Whatever you choose, make a point to notice something new along your ride or run along the route every time you go out. Don't take your computer or garmin with you. Just pay attention to surroundings. I think this will help you decompress and find some balance both in training and life. 

2016-08-01 8:50 PM
in reply to: #5158366

User image

, Vermont
Dave,
I just sent you a response/question but I'm in MT and doing it from my phone so don't know if it went through.

I agree with what Mark, Gretchen, and Alan said - all really great points. Positive mantras, go for a "coffee ride," make it fun and have a positive experience with it. If you're thinking IM isn't in the cards, they will let you go to a HIM which would be awesome and fun - or maybe the Aquabike as Gretchen or Mark mentioned.
I just said to my PT on Friday - I can't wait to go for a fun ride again, just for the heck of it, maybe to get coffee and a chocolate croissant or enjoy the scenery. Lately things are about cranking out numbers. I totally know where you're coming from. Take a step back. I remember you mentioning last summer or the summer before you went for a 2 hour swim! Holy smokes!! Go have fun and swim for a half hour or hour. - enjoy it, numbers be damned. Or go for a hike - you can still get an awesome workout hiking and there are no numbers to look at, just scenery.

I will be happy to message you a million questions about Tremblant because time is ticking and I'm freaking and you and Alan can help me out with knowledge.
2016-08-01 8:51 PM
in reply to: #5193598

User image

, Vermont
Gretchen - great job with a tough situation, way to tough it out!!!
2016-08-01 8:52 PM
in reply to: #5193599

User image

, Vermont
Alan, damn you're fast. Well done!
2016-08-01 8:55 PM
in reply to: #5193600

User image

, Vermont
Question for Alan and Dave Q and anyone else who has done the Mont Tremblant course. I am here now and drove the section of the course I haven't ridden yet which is route 117 from Montee Ryan to LaBelle. Where in LaBelle is the turn around? There are 3 exits, which one should I use to turn around? Please say the first one...hahaha. There is an ugly hill after the first exit, I didn't drive it, I turned around at the first exit (didn't have a map and Google Maps was being a PIA). I will take Chemin Duplessis over that hill anyway. I can hamster run only so long...

2016-08-01 8:56 PM
in reply to: #5193601

User image

, Vermont
any day, not anyway... Can't correct from my phone...
2016-08-01 9:14 PM

User image

Originally posted by aviatrix802 Question for Alan and Dave Q and anyone else who has done the Mont Tremblant course. I am here now and drove the section of the course I haven't ridden yet which is route 117 from Montee Ryan to LaBelle. Where in LaBelle is the turn around? There are 3 exits, which one should I use to turn around? Please say the first one...hahaha. There is an ugly hill after the first exit, I didn't drive it, I turned around at the first exit (didn't have a map and Google Maps was being a PIA). I will take Chemin Duplessis over that hill anyway. I can hamster run only so long...

I honestly can't remember exactly where the turn around is. I'll try to find the GPS track from when I did it. 

2016-08-01 11:27 PM
in reply to: #5193602

User image

, Vermont
Thank you! I was told something about just past Rue Jubinville? But I don't know if this is the second exit? I'm just mentally preparing myself for the ride, it's just something I have to do. I'm not good at going into things blind.
2016-08-02 7:06 AM
in reply to: #5193620

User image

, Vermont
Ack, found out it's the second exit, exit 143. BT needs a petrified emoji...
I did hear the hills on 117 look worse by car than they are to ride. We shall see. Eating breakfast and heading out in a few.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS) - Open Rss Feed  

of 118

RELATED POSTS

1st timers & itching for the podium group - TZCoaching - OPEN Pages: 1 2

Started by tzcoaching
Views: 6414 Posts: 31

2017-01-10 8:31 PM TonyMax

Jim Kelley's (aka Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 17656 Posts: 191

2016-08-16 2:40 AM bfaridnia

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.