BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS) - Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 118

2016-08-04 10:56 AM
in reply to: #5194069

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS) - Open
Not correction but Gretchen. I hate posting from my iPhone

2016-08-04 11:00 AM
in reply to: #5194070

User image

Expert
Jenn and Nicole - The Galloway program is really where it's at. Not only does it keep you rested during the run and keep your heat under control especially on hot days but it is psychologically helpful as well. "All I've got to do is run for the next water station…" makes the mileage much more manageable.

Nicole - I know Jenn has Mont Tremblant on her plate but what is next for you?
2016-08-04 11:11 AM
in reply to: #5194071

User image

Expert
This morning, I got out for a 30 mile bike ride and was really surprised by how slow my pace was. I usually ride somewhere around 13.5 mph but today my speed was in the high 12. I think part of that was the fact that I had no information upon which to go on I taken my 910 off and I hadn't even started the stopwatch. However with 10 miles to go, I decided to count strokes. Because last week I had such difficulty staying at and maintaining 85 strokes per minute I dropped it to 80, which was definitely sustainable and my speed went up as a result. So I learned something… As much as the watch and 910 put pressure on me I still need them to overcome my reluctance to perform at a higher level. Right now - I'm lacking my inner Alan that would just bust butt on every ride. Anyone else experienced this?

Today were going to take a trip to a town nearby and I'm gonna spend some time with family but then after dinner tonight I'm going to try to get in my last 30 mile ride which will equal 90 miles for 48 hours. I know it's not how most people train but each and every workout is a step towards my goal.

Jenn – thanks for posting the picture - it meant a lot. Just wait til you see the town when you get back for the race. It will be transformed.
2016-08-04 12:48 PM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by aviatrix802

Originally posted by nicole14e

My tri training, which I wanted to really start last week, actually just started this week. I'm already feeling great about it though!

Monday - Hoped to get a run in in the morning but forgot to bring my stuff to the bf's. Played vball for about 2 hours after work, got home and was feeling good, so I went for a short run. I did 6:1 run:walk for 20 minutes. Ran 2 miles at about 9:30 pace. Legs were tired (I had played about 3 1/2 hours of volleyball Sunday too so they were tired for good reason), and it was quite humid, but overall I felt okay.

Went for a swim yesterday afternoon. Did 100m intervals at about 1:52/100, which is probably really slow. My arms were dead by 300m, and before yesterday I have only been able to swim about 600m. I made it to 850m (last 50 was a cool down breast stroke lap), and felt okay. Gonna try to continue increasing my distance over the next couple of weeks, and maybe try to do 200m intervals starting in 2 weeks or so. Any advice here would be great b/c I haven't really read any training books (I have the training bible but only got to like, chapter 3 or 4...really need to get back into that!).

Went for another run this morning. Wasn't sure how long I was going to try to run, but ended up going a little over 3 miles at about 9:12 pace. Did the 6:1 run:walk again (DQ, could you post that link again about the run/walk? I read it a few weeks ago but would like to go through it again and am not sure how long ago you posted it/how to find it). I felt a lot stronger and am really enjoying the run/walk program (this is the first I've really tried this). I feel so strong once I start running again, and 1 minute walking is the perfect amount of time to almost catch my breath.

The bf and I are planning to swim together tomorrow morning, and then we are at a wedding this weekend so I'm going to bring my clothes to go on at least 1 run. I have swim lessons Sunday morning so will get a swim in before or after that. The bike will come later...it's so hard to find time for that. I would have to drive to the county somewhere to get a good ride in. Mike, if you have any suggestions for rides maybe in Dundalk area, I'm all ears!

Great job on getting the runs in and I LOVE the Galloway program! I didn't believe in it until last summer when I had to do it due to my knee problem and I'll tell you what...I ate my words. I basically walk through all water stops now and it's just enough rest to keep me pretty strong. If you saw my write up on my HIM in June - it was 89 degrees and I still managed a 2:07 half marathon on a hilly and very hot course where many men were just exploding. ....and I walked every water stop and 2 extra times. That 's with having my longest training run only being 10.5 miles which was also the longest I'd run in two years due to knees. It works. -at least for me it did and I will absolutely be run/walking in my IM....probably more walking than running. hahaha

Thanks Jenn! I actually remember you, DQ and some others discussing it from last season and it has definitely helped me so far (in my week of training ). I never would have thought to do something like this without knowing you guys had experience with it. I can only imagine my college XC coach's face if she saw me walking during a 5k, but I'm still running times that I expected to run while getting back into training, which just shows me how effective it is already.
2016-08-04 12:50 PM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by Qua17

Jenn and Nicole - The Galloway program is really where it's at. Not only does it keep you rested during the run and keep your heat under control especially on hot days but it is psychologically helpful as well. "All I've got to do is run for the next water station…" makes the mileage much more manageable.

I am racing in a sprint tri here in the Baltimore area (the Baltimore Triathlon) on October 1st, so I basically have 2 months to get back into tri shape. Plenty of time, right?!?!
2016-08-04 1:16 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

, Vermont

Edited by aviatrix802 2016-08-04 1:17 PM

2016-08-04 1:18 PM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

, Vermont

I am racing in a sprint tri here in the Baltimore area (the Baltimore Triathlon) on October 1st, so I basically have 2 months to get back into tri shape. Plenty of time, right?!?!

You've got this, girl! Go git 'em!!
2016-08-04 11:20 PM
in reply to: #5158366

User image

Wakefield, Massachusetts
+1 on Galloway for coming back after time off. I'd always thought it was a gimmick, but after almost 2 years away from regular running my knee was getting the better of me. I have it a try on recommendation from this group, and haven't had any knee issues since, with distance and pace on par with what I was doing before my break.
2016-08-04 11:23 PM
in reply to: #5194132

User image

Wakefield, Massachusetts
Dave, I feel ya on the devices being a necessity (a crutch?) to pushing yourself to your potential. I tend to run with my GPS giving me regular pace updates, and whenever I turn it off I don't run as fast. At this point I feel like I should be able to do without, but apparently not.
2016-08-05 7:57 AM
in reply to: Fourteenkittens

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Morning all! Slow start to my day. I'm still enjoying my recovery week. Nothing scheduled for me today except tossing the ball for my running buddy, who is not enjoying this recovery week of no running and mowing the lawn.

I made a big decision last night. I am not going to pursue another HIM this season. Maybe someday in the future, but right now is not that time. I looked back over my training logs and the idea of starting back up with five hour bricks on Saturday and 2:15 runs on Sunday just didn't give me joy. I also found a note I made in one of the logs that said "this isn't fun anymore", which is a big red flag for me. This is my (expensive, time-consuming) hobby. If it isn't bringing me joy and is no longer fun, why am I doing it? So, no second HIM for me this season. I'm going to finish out the season with a the same Oly I finished last season with and work on getting a PR.
2016-08-05 8:47 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Expert
Originally posted by drfoodlove

Morning all! Slow start to my day. I'm still enjoying my recovery week. Nothing scheduled for me today except tossing the ball for my running buddy, who is not enjoying this recovery week of no running and mowing the lawn.

I made a big decision last night. I am not going to pursue another HIM this season. Maybe someday in the future, but right now is not that time. I looked back over my training logs and the idea of starting back up with five hour bricks on Saturday and 2:15 runs on Sunday just didn't give me joy. I also found a note I made in one of the logs that said "this isn't fun anymore", which is a big red flag for me. This is my (expensive, time-consuming) hobby. If it isn't bringing me joy and is no longer fun, why am I doing it? So, no second HIM for me this season. I'm going to finish out the season with a the same Oly I finished last season with and work on getting a PR.

Poor pooch! You should take him to the lake and make a brick of running and swimming.

Congrats on your decision of not doing another HIM. Going long is a big commitment and if it isn't fun any more, why do it? Right now I feel the same way about the iron distance and was just fantasizing about an entire season of just sprints. It sounds dreamy.

What time do you have to break to get a PR?

2016-08-05 8:50 AM

User image

Expert

As long as it's not the Baltimore Ravens Triathlon - I'm willing to support you 100%! Seriously - 2 months is plenty of time to get back into shape and the Galloway program is the perfect way to do it.

Oh, and by the way, crush it!
2016-08-05 9:06 AM

User image

Expert
Yesterday was a tough one for me - 60 miles broken up into two rides. The morning ride seemed easy but the afternoon ride was rough. At one point - I "woke up" to find myself on the other side of what had been a deserted road with two cars speeding right towards me. Luckily they were paying attention or I would have gotten run over. That moment scared the poop out of me and I blame it on poor dehydration and fatigue. I've got really focus in august when the temps are hot on getting my nutrition down. I feel like my food is rock solid - but I clearly am not drinking enough.

But the worst part of the ride was getting two miles from my house and realizing that I had forgotten to apply Chamois It made for a long ride. Luckily - today is just a swim and a hike.

Starting tomorrow - I'd taking a road trip to Indy and the WIsconson Dells. Anyone have any beer selections for me to try?
2016-08-06 2:09 PM

User image

New user
Madrid
Already on holidays for this month, and missed so much!! Came to a remote rural area in north Spain, very poor wifi so really holidays. Plenty of time for OWS in the ocean, nice runs and long bike rides...if I could live here and not work anymore, this would be tri-paradise!! On top, this is a wonderful region for white wines (godello, albarino and ribeiro), beer not so great....

I am IMPRESSED with your activity: Jenn about to do her IM (my dream....), Gretchen finishing her HIM in a place I would love to visit some day (Route 66), Alan crashing his race with almost no training (!), all the others training as much as they can.... Such a good motivation!

Dave, I agree with the rest of the group, I would take sometime off, forget about cadence, and distance, and timing.....just go: for a ride, for a run, for a walk....at some point you will catch up again the competitive side. At least, it works for me, when I am too tired from working and traveling like hell and missed some workouts, the first couple of sessions are with no device, like it used to be not so long ago. It reduces my stress for underperforming and makes it easier to just have fun!!

Juan
2016-08-07 4:18 PM

User image

, Vermont
Originally posted by drfoodlove

Gretchen, that is smart. HIM is a long distance and you've accomplished that. Go have fun at your Oly!! It will be fun to race against yourself and you will benefit from a little downtime and lower training sessions. I know I am very much looking forward to that. Have fun!!! That's why we do this, right!?
2016-08-07 4:26 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

, Vermont
Two weeks out and I will admit I'm a little freaked out. I am not a particularly emotional person, but boy, what a roller coaster!! hahhaha

My training plan is all over the place right now - partially due to doing my long ride last Tuesday and not last weekend and partly because I can't really ride right now with this lovely swollen pocket of fluid right where my leg joins my body....love saddle sores. Doing warm epsom salt baths to get it to come to a head but toying with going to have it drained. I can't ride because it will inflame it again, but if I have an incision made I can't ride or probably swim for a few days while it heals. This is frustrating. I needed a 4 hour ride this past weekend.

I did get 4000 yards in yesterday at the pool and an 11.5 mile run in today as my last "longish" run. Ankle was feeling good - i walked the hills. Hips are getting tired.
I have definitely learned a ton about my body during this process and have been formulating what I'm going to work on over the winter to improve my strength in many areas. Fascinating, this crazy training has been....(channeling my inner Yoda).

Edited by aviatrix802 2016-08-07 4:27 PM

2016-08-08 8:09 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois

Two weeks out and I will admit I'm a little freaked out. I am not a particularly emotional person, but boy, what a roller coaster!! hahhaha

My training plan is all over the place right now - partially due to doing my long ride last Tuesday and not last weekend and partly because I can't really ride right now with this lovely swollen pocket of fluid right where my leg joins my body....love saddle sores. Doing warm epsom salt baths to get it to come to a head but toying with going to have it drained. I can't ride because it will inflame it again, but if I have an incision made I can't ride or probably swim for a few days while it heals. This is frustrating. I needed a 4 hour ride this past weekend.

I did get 4000 yards in yesterday at the pool and an 11.5 mile run in today as my last "longish" run. Ankle was feeling good - i walked the hills. Hips are getting tired.
I have definitely learned a ton about my body during this process and have been formulating what I'm going to work on over the winter to improve my strength in many areas. Fascinating, this crazy training has been....(channeling my inner Yoda).

You got this Jenn!!!
2016-08-08 8:13 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Continuing on my "lazy" recovery with another swim this morning. Still haven't gotten up the gumption to go for a ride or run, but I'm not sweating it (literally!). I'm going to give it another week before I start pushing myself to get in some workouts. It helps that I have contracted a raging case of poison ivy and the dr said to avoid sweating (hahahahahaha!!!!) while taking the steroids. On the up side, the laundry situation in our house is finally under control.
2016-08-08 8:16 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

That sounds painful!! Good luck getting it to go away! I know taking 4 days off of both swimming and biking may seem like a lot at this point, but it sounds like your training has been so good that in the grand scheme it's not going to matter that much. I say that though without ever doing more than a sprint tri, so I could be way off! Hope it heals up soon!

Learning from your body is such a positive thing! You will be able to use that going forward no matter what, because now you know what feels right and what does not.
2016-08-08 8:17 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

Starting tomorrow - I'd taking a road trip to Indy and the WIsconson Dells. Anyone have any beer selections for me to try?

My sister lives in Indy so I have reached out for some beer recommendations. I will let you know if she responds!
2016-08-08 9:20 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Had a really great weekend, although it was more beer than training.

Did a swim Thursday and it was my longest swim yet. I went about 1000m of freestyle in 100m intervals alternating with and without the pull buoy. Felt pretty strong. Drove to Phoenixville PA Thursday night (near Philly) for a wedding on Friday. Woke up early Friday and my bf and I went on a walk/run around Valley Forge National Park. I was hoping it would be a trail (they called it a trail) but it was really just a paved path. It was a change of scenery though. We walked a mile, then run/walked a little more than 3 miles, then walked another mile to complete the loop. I was happy to get that in before wedding debauchery. There was a mashed potato bar that I may have visited more than once...

Saturday was when the beer drinking happened. We went to Philly to visit a friend of mine and ended up at Independence Beer Garden (http://www.phlbeergarden.com/). The link takes you to the beer list, which we got at least half of in pitchers. Everything we had was really good, but I think the Sly Fox and Goose Island 312 were my favorites.

Ran this morning, a little more than 3 miles doing the run walk, ended up at 9:39 pace, so good but definitely feeling the effects of the weekend.

Happy Monday everyone!

2016-08-09 1:47 AM

User image

New user
Madrid
Ouch, Jenn! Hope you heal soon and ready for THE race.

Nicole, sounds like a fun weekend, beer tasting is almost as great as wine tasting

Attached is a pic after yesterdays ride, see the hydrating fluid between the two water bottles

Juan

(FullSizeRender.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
FullSizeRender.jpg (50KB - 3 downloads)
2016-08-09 7:15 AM
in reply to: #5158366

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
I went out for a short, slow run this morning, my first since me HIM. Only did two miles, but it felt ok. I had a little tightness in one calf, so I backed off to a walk for a short period and then back to running. It felt okay after that. Dixie, the pup, was ecstatic to be back out on the road. She set a new personal best for pee stops over the two miles (22).
2016-08-09 8:03 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

My sister lives in Indy so I have reached out for some beer recommendations. I will let you know if she responds!

Not sure if you're going to check this, but my sister says there are craft breweries everywhere. Three Floyds, Black Acre, Sun King, Upland, Flat 12, Triton Bier. Those are some she used to go to (she can't drink beer anymore because she is gluten intolerant but used to LOVE her craft beer). Then she said "for variety, Twenty Tap in Sobro carries all mostly Indiana beers, or at least used to. Tomlinsons tap inside city market downtown carried only Indiana beers" last time she was there. She said the best breweries, like Three Floyds and Tax man aren't based in Indy. If you go to Twenty Tap, get the poutine (unless you are racing, which I don't think you are). Upland in Sobro has live acoustic music and is one of her favorite places b/c it has a really comfortable atmosphere.

I hope you get this before you get to Indy and check some of this stuff out!
2016-08-09 8:14 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
I had a really great swim this morning! Longest swim in almost two years, I did 1200m freestyle and was doing 200m intervals (instead of 100). Felt really good, and definitely could've kept going a little longer but I had to get home and get ready for work. I needed this to show that I'm actually getting stronger. Such a difference from just a week ago!

I found out recently that my pool will be closing in September for construction. Mike, I hope you were already aware of this or now you will be upset too! They currently have an outdoor pool that has a cage over it so in the fall they can convert it into an indoor pool (they have a giant tarp and make it heated and stuff). The plan, or at least what it was supposed to be last year (this construction got put on hold last year for zoning issues), is they will build a 7 story parking garage where the pool and deck currently are, and then there will be an indoor pool at the bottom of the garage and an outdoor pool on the top. It sounds like a great plan, but construction will take about a year. I can still teach lessons at one of our other gyms and use their pool, but the clubs are a bit further and will require more time and planning, which may hurt my motivation. I think I'm going to sign up for a tri in the winter (somewhere south) so I have something to train for. Anyone live south, preferably where Southwest flies, and know a good December, January or February tri?
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS) - Open Rss Feed  

of 118

RELATED POSTS

1st timers & itching for the podium group - TZCoaching - OPEN Pages: 1 2

Started by tzcoaching
Views: 6413 Posts: 31

2017-01-10 8:31 PM TonyMax

Jim Kelley's (aka Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 17649 Posts: 191

2016-08-16 2:40 AM bfaridnia

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.